49ers NT Ian Williams out for Season

MrCarey

Reaction score
NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 3m

THIS JUST IN: 49ers announce NT Ian Williams is out for the season after breaking his ankle last night vs Seattle.

Injuries are really not looking good for them right now.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Oh, darn. I guess he should do a better job of protecting himself in the future.

jblaze

Reaction score
Eww... That's a bummer, hate it when we end up putting someone out for the year. Never like seeing someone get hurt like that although it is a 49'er so it is a little easier to take. :49ersmall:

The Radish

Reaction score
Isn't he the one that got caught in a scrum in the middle of the line?

Sadly those things happen.

jblaze

Reaction score
The Radish":3og3p0ef said:

Nah, he got cut blocked on a run play. It's legal but the competition committee should probably take a look at that rule in the offseason.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
jblaze":jbidwzgz said:
The Radish":jbidwzgz said:

Nah, he got cut blocked on a run play. It's legal but the competition committee should probably take a look at that rule in the offseason.

Yeah it's unfortunate, but it is a legal play and that rule definitely needs to be reviewed.

OP
OP
MrCarey

MrCarey

Reaction score
Coaches really don't want that rule to be changed. They say it would have a major effect on some teams' run games.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
The Glenn Dorsey signing really comes into focus now... and whenever Quinton Dial gets healthy. We definitely don't have good depth at that position now.

OP
OP
MrCarey

MrCarey

Reaction score
From what I've heard, you guys don't use an NT that often, so it's not a HUGE blow. That true?

rlkats

Reaction score
Ya MrCarey its kinda true they still use one to occupy the Oline to free up linebackers but not often. It really hurts our Depth.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
MrCarey":7s4o62rg said:
From what I've heard, you guys don't use an NT that often, so it's not a HUGE blow. That true?

They are at heart a 3-4 defense with some hybrid gap concepts they mix in. They are dependent on having a big man in the middle to bolster run defense just like any other 3-4 team. The loss of Williams is huge as he was the best scheme fit.

Make no mistake, SF looks pretty thin at tackle.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's football, and it was a legal play with no intent to injure unlike some of the hits put on RW or the hit on Miller.

Hate to see any player get hurt like that but line play is nasty stuff sometimes. Hope Williams makes a full recovery.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
thebanjodude":3te2vwib said:
look@dafilm":3te2vwib said:
SmokinHawk":3te2vwib said:
Oh, darn. I guess he should do a better job of protecting himself in the future.

nice

Yeah...I don't agree, it was a legal but still cheap play

cheap sure, legal, not so sure. Williams was engaged with the center. you cannot cut out the legs from someone engaged with another blocker. the hit on McDonald was unfortunately legal though. that needs to be changed.

Laloosh

Reaction score
look@dafilm":buplptsn said:
thebanjodude":buplptsn said:
look@dafilm":buplptsn said:
SmokinHawk":buplptsn said:

nice

Yeah...I don't agree, it was a legal but still cheap play

cheap sure, legal, not so sure. Williams was engaged with the center. you cannot cut out the legs from someone engaged with another blocker. the hit on McDonald was unfortunately legal though. that needs to be changed.

My understanding is that you cannot be cut blocked if you are already engaged BY another player... There is a difference.