49ers organization donates $500K toward Covid-19

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://www.kron4.com/news/49ers-to-don ... us-relief/

The football team pledged to donate $500,000 to support employees of the organization and the greater communities of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.

$49,000 will become immediately available to non-profits in the two counties, with additional funds to be divided out as local authorities further assess the situation.

The team will be taking input from Cindy Chavez, President of the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors, and Sam Liccardo, Mayor of San Jose, Comcast, and the Silicon Valley Community Foundation on where the money will be best utilized.

---

Hey Jed, every li'l bit helps but $50K for Santa Clara and San Mateo combined? C'mon man. Russell Wilson donated an estimated $5M out of his own pocket to help a Seattle food bank yesterday.

It's not just WINNING with class, it's ACTING with class. This is not acting with class.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Likeminded CLASSY SEAHAWKS FAN responds in Twitter. And it's not $1M. It is as much as the food bank will need to provide ONE MILLION MEALS. Which will be more than $1 per meal even with volunteer help.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/aron_lorenz/status/1240695244644990976[/tweet]

TAB420

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":28zheidu said:
Likeminded CLASSY SEAHAWKS FAN responds in Twitter. And it's not $1M. It is as much as the food bank will need to provide ONE MILLION MEALS. Which will be more than $1 per meal even with volunteer help.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/aron_lorenz/status/1240695244644990976[/tweet]
Wilson beats the Niners, again. Just kidding this was awesome of the Niners...good job Santa Clara.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Every bit helps. As big as Niner hater I am, I’m not going to knock them for helping out their community in a time of need.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I would like to see the Hawks make at least a matching gesture.

Russ made one out of his own pocket. But he's not the org.

Carroll so far has only cryptically written, "We got this Seattle" in a Tweet.

This is frankly disheartening. As much as I despise admitting it, even what the 49ers have done as an org (publicly tweeted that they were closing their facilities before being forced and pledged a relatively paltry sum to a large population) is more than what the Hawks have done.

Hawks, do the right thing. That means broadcasting concrete steps that you've taken by yourself including donations.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Don't care where it comes from, the help is needed. Class move by the Niners. Don't let some idiot "12" make it seem like the rest of us Hawks fans don't appreciate it.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Hey, I might be an idiot 12 but I know class and unclassy actions where I see them. Especially so when it happens at home.

$450K of this is going to internal needs. Only $50K is going beyond that.

In the San Mateo/Santa Clara region, that's about enough to keep ONE ADULT afloat for less than a year. It is perhaps enough to keep shelters/food banks going for less than a week.

The 49ers are billionaires. They can afford by almost hundreds of times what one QB (ours) donated. And BTW so can the Seahawks.

I find the posturing disgusting frankly sportswide.

The Sharks insisted on playing in an area with the most diagnosed cases (still is). On their last day, they were Twittering trying to RECRUIT NURSES with free game tix and lunch bags.

The Warriors didn't stop until SF made them, and then they said they'd play without fans. Good thing that Nets game never happened, because at least four of the Nets have it. My sister lives in a complex with a lot of Nets players.

The Giants? For the first time in a decade, they offered SO's nonprofit free tickets. And new this year, a beverage/food credit. We weren't ever going to go but others were planning to. SO gets sick, and there goes our major income. They didn't GAS.

I will give the 9ers credit for announcing publicly that they shut down facilities before being forced to. I give Mostert hella lot of credit when he said on March 6 that he would not be doing a signing event b/c he and his wife are expecting.

I do not give Jed credit for basically "giving" what to him is like a Starbucks coffee to us. And frankly I give the Seahawks orgs even less as they have said nothing.

We're all in this together, right? They can give back more. It shouldn't be on individual players. It should be on the orgs that are cashing in, royally, with tickets and livestreams and gambling and TV.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Jesus, I didn't comment because I thought the OP's intial posts were tongue-in-cheek and I felt dumb for asking. Guess not. People complaining about how much is given? Absolutely pathetic.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Soooo.....

...yeah. Was gonna comment but looks like several Seahawks fans took care of that for me. Well done.

THIS isn't a competition. There is no need for any comparison. Any amount helps. We aren't rivals in this fight, we are allies.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Any amount DOES help. I'm just suggesting that the help they have rendered hasn't been much compared to what owners actually own.

RW contributed what could be $5M out of his own pocket to pledge one million meals to food banks. The first positive NBA player donated $500,000. The Warriors themselves pledged $1M.

They have donated essentially the APY for maybe one sixth-rounder. They have spent easily more on PR/marketing/philanthropy in the community. If individual players can contribute more, they can too.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":23srleai said:
Any amount DOES help. I'm just suggesting that the help they have rendered hasn't been much compared to what owners actually own.

RW contributed what could be $5M out of his own pocket to pledge one million meals to food banks. The first positive NBA player donated $500,000. The Warriors themselves pledged $1M.

They have donated essentially the APY for maybe one sixth-rounder. They have spent easily more on PR/marketing/philanthropy in the community. If individual players can contribute more, they can too.

Why say anything at all? Why criticize those who have done something over those whom have done nothing?

If this had been The Knicks would you have said anything? Nope. You say it because its the 49ers and they are a rival.

Right now, we aren't rivals. We're on the same team.

Jville

Reaction score
ETlW vvUUAA QLkformatjpgnamelarge

Some of the many details are noted here >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/vulcan-inc-and-the-paul-g-allen-family-foundation-announce-efforts-to-support-se[/urltargetblank] <<< there doesn't seem to be a capped number. So this is probably the start of growing support for the community.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":fk919n6n said:
ETlW vvUUAA QLkformatjpgnamelarge

Some of the many details are noted here >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/vulcan-inc-and-the-paul-g-allen-family-foundation-announce-efforts-to-support-se[/urltargetblank] <<< there doesn't seem to be a capped number. So this is probably the start of growing support for the community.

Good for them. Its the hourly low income earners who live paycheck to paycheck that are the most in danger.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
You know what Marv?

You're right.

I wish to apologize. I'm trying to keep a level head here and failed to recognize that they are indeed helping.

They were among the first to say, after all, that they'd be closing their facilities before the NFL made them. They showed way more class than the sports leagues around them.

Let us hope we can flatten the curve enough so that football can safely return, and with it the normal ways of hating one another as rivals.

Until then, I suppose we, and the Jets/Giants and yes even the Patriots are on the same team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Did the 49ers use public tax money to build that stadium? If so, is say that it's within reason to question their response to the same public that paid for their stadium.

I've no idea if that's the case, but it's worth a question.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Revenue bonds? No. But what Santa Clara (city) Council did was take on liability for almost a bil worth of construction loans dependent mostly on 49ers revenue. They'll be ultimately stuck with the bag if the 9ers don't deliver.

It's explained further here:

How the Levi’s Stadium deal works

The 49ers built their $1.3 billion Santa Clara stadium without a direct public subsidy — though not without city help, and with potential risk if revenues fall short.

The Santa Clara Stadium Authority, a separate public agency, was created to shield city coffers from being used for stadium costs. Its members are the Santa Clara City Council. The authority is responsible for up to $950 million in construction loans, to be paid back from revenue generated by the stadium such as naming rights (it received a $154 million cut of a $220 million deal with Levi’s) and the sale of seat licenses, ranging from $2,000 to $250,000, for the right to buy 49ers season tickets.

The 49ers were responsible for any construction cost overruns on the 68,500-seat stadium.

The team’s annual rent is $24.5 million on a 40-year lease.

The NFL provided a $200 million loan.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/edi ... 808683.php

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2tmjbxuc said:
You know what Marv?

You're right.

I wish to apologize. I'm trying to keep a level head here and failed to recognize that they are indeed helping.

They were among the first to say, after all, that they'd be closing their facilities before the NFL made them. They showed way more class than the sports leagues around them.

Let us hope we can flatten the curve enough so that football can safely return, and with it the normal ways of hating one another as rivals.

Until then, I suppose we, and the Jets/Giants and yes even the Patriots are on the same team.

No worries. Not holding yer feet to the fire.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Marvin49":2k7blal4 said:
SantaClaraHawk":2k7blal4 said:
You know what Marv?

You're right.

No worries. Not holding yer feet to the fire.

She said Patriots.....I suppose if they are on the same team all the way over on the other side of the planet...ok.

On a lighter note, Went to a restaurant not too far from me and a jersey from Green BAy was there. Had pix and signatures and stuff all over it. Who is this Rodgers character? Will take pix next time I am in there. I like their food too.

Latest posts