49ers vs Seahawks Game Analysis and our Offensive woes

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
I'm not saying the 49ers aren't a good defense, just that we could have called better plays and most likely won the game pretty easy.

Just took a look at 49er's losses to try to see if there is some reason why we ran so much on them. This is what the offenses did against the 49ers to win.

49ers losses:

Seahawks:

Pass - Rush (attempts)
17 - 47

Pass - Rush (Yards)
142-172

passing: 17.8 per completion… 8.35 per attempt
rush : 3.7 per carry

Colts:

Pass - Rush (Yards)
152-184

Panthers:

Pass - Rush (Yards)
169-109

Saints:

Pass - Rush (Yards)
305-92

So in 2 of the 49ers losses they did indeed allow more rushing than pass yards but it was pretty close.

I'm still surprised we didn't pass more when we averaged 3.7 yards per rushing attempt and nearly 18 yards per completion the first time we played them this season.

It almost seems like we are trying to beat the 49ers at their own strength which is the run game (stubborn play calling if that's why we do it). 47 runs the first game?! That's pretty hilarious I gotta admit, at least it worked that time though.

edogg23

Reaction score
Great post I couldn't agree more! Our running game is a little below average while our passing game is well above average when we chose to utilize it. I don't see any reason why you would ignore your strength when you have someone as capable as Russell as your qb.

mrblitz

Reaction score
maybe just run a bit more to carp's side. carp is a massive mauler.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3tdryh2k said:
Zebulon Dak":3tdryh2k said:
Tokadub":3tdryh2k said:
I think Bevell needs to call good plays more consistently!

You know what makes a play good? When it works.

Perhaps to a simple mind.

Aha. Ahaha. Ahahahahaha. You're right it's so complex. Personally, I like when a play is so good that it doesn't actually work. Like, it's too good. Terrible plays that work fantastic consistently are also some of my favorites. I'm just so sick of Bevell and his mostly stupid consistent, big play inducing, fairly high scoring play calling. It's so dumb and we lose so much less than we win. It's bullshit.

Tical21

Reaction score
Come on. When the Beast doesn't get his carries, the fans whine because he doesn't get the ball. You can't have it both ways. Our offense is as successful per play because the running game keeps the defense guessing. We had crucial penalties and gave up crucial sacks/pressures. I'm just fine with Marshawn getting 9 carries in the second half of a close game.

Anthony!

Reaction score
The only thing I will add is, I have gone back during this past week, and re looked at every game, trying to see a pattern in play calling on the road versus at home. I did find one, but wanted to wait till after this game to say anything, At home we are much more aggressive, we have more long plays, we throw more wr screens, more quick hitters, slants etc. On the road we are very vanilla, very few quick hitters, very few short crossing routes, very few plays down the field. It is like on the road we play not to loose, while at him we play to win.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Mick063":1egqroht said:
Screw the offensive woe talk:

!) San Francisco played inspired defense.

2) Some of Russell's best plays were called back due to penalty. As Russ puts it, the team did not "stay on schedule" because they were constantly digging out of a hole due to penalty.

They would have scored a touchdown on the drive that Tate was called for offensive PI....something Boldin was doing on many plays. Seattle cruises to a win if they cut the penalties in half.

Give the defense some credit for losing this. After using up two time outs to preserve three minutes of time, they allowed Kaep to sweep for a first down on third and eight.......allowing those timeouts to be spent for nothing.

Agree with most of the above Tokadub, and my disagreement wasn't meant as a slight on you or your post.
We can't disregard context and dissect via statistcs alone is all.

I would have loved the win of course, but I wasn't expecting one today either simply based on context (I dont expect it with NY either, not sure why some feel so sure otherwise). We had a rivalry game here on their turf after batting SF around at home like we did and we dealt with officiating that knew it too.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
I haven't been in here since the last meeting in SEP...

Today was a good, sloppy, penalty-ridden game that had a few big plays. The Niners won because they blocked a punt (3pts) and were able to mount a TD drive just before half (+4 pts).

Kaepernick was under pressure all day, and consistently behind on down and distance. His start was really bad. And he didn't look overly impressive the entire game, minus the TD drive before half. Both teams played very good defense, minus one broken coverage on an inside running play, which ultimately won the Niners the game.

I came away very impressed with Golden Tate. I underestimated him before this year, but he's a good football player. Wilson is the real deal, and our defense essentially played flawless football. Kept them in long down and distance situations. RW made numerous long 3rd down plays to keep them in it.

I was surprised to see the Hawks falter after the first half on offense. Seamed like they were cruising right before half. Bowman, Willis, and Aldon Smith were caught out of position during Wilson's scramble drills. Congrats to Willson (with 2 'L's I think)... For reference, the other TE drafted from Rice, Vance McDonald doesn't have a receiving TD... because no one not named Davis or Boldin had scored a receiving TD for us. We are getting very little production from our WR2 position, minus Crabtree's big reception last week. He played physical, but didn't have much of an impact.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I actually agree with the OP.

For whatever reason, Seahawks were either playing it safe or keeping it casual. You can win games like that against lesser teams as in letting the opponent dictate the flow and then matching their intensity.

But you can't do that on the road , vs your biggest divisional rival, when a win meant winning the NFC West...Seahawks dropped the ball big time and played with fear.

It seems to me the Seahawks priorities weren't really about doing everything in their power to win and coming out with the arsenal and firepower but leaving with Russell Wilson intact and in full health.

You can't play with fear... you can't play in fear... and you could tell Wilson was agitated with the dumb downed playbook...

Hawks46

Reaction score
Most plass plays average about double what most run plays average. So, hey, why don't we stop running it all together ? Better yet, maybe the entire league should just abandon the run. Because the average says so, so it must be right.

Running averages so little. I just don't understand how teams can win while running the ball. Then again, the Niners won the game on a run. Wait....what ?

I also think we should talk to Bevell about Wilson getting sacked on 3rd downs. It's all his fault.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Tokadub":3ae5d6vk said:
I'm not saying the 49ers aren't a good defense, just that we could have called better plays and most likely won the game pretty easy.

Just took a look at 49er's losses to try to see if there is some reason why we ran so much on them. This is what the offenses did against the 49ers to win.

49ers losses:

Seahawks:

Pass - Rush (attempts)
47 - 17

Pass - Rush (Yards)
142-172

passing: 17.8 per completion… 8.35 per attempt
rush : 3.7 per carry

Colts:

Pass - Rush (Yards)
152-184

Panthers:

Pass - Rush (Yards)
169-109

Saints:

Pass - Rush (Yards)
305-92

So in 2 of the 49ers losses they did indeed allow more rushing than pass yards but it was pretty close.

I'm still surprised we didn't pass more when we averaged 3.7 yards per rushing attempt and nearly 18 yards per completion the first time we played them this season.

It almost seems like we are trying to beat the 49ers at their own strength which is the run game (stubborn play calling if that's why we do it). 47 runs the first game?! That's pretty hilarious I gotta admit, at least it worked that time though.

The Colts ran the ball 40 times versus 26 pass attempts.

The Panthers were split at 31 runs, 32 passes.

So up to this point, the formula for beating SF at home has been to run the damn ball, even if the average isn't outstanding. Also, don't get a bunch of stupid penalties (Indy 1-10, Carolina 3-25).

ceej22

Reaction score
Remember when we 12s were mad at Bevell for NOT getting the ball to Lynch more lol. This OC hating is ridiculous. He didn't allow the blocked punt and didn't give up a 51 yard run in the final minutes.

Largent80

Reaction score
The PLAYERS are responsible for executing plays. They made a bunch in the first half, and hardly any in the 2nd and everytime we did make one it had a penalty that killed. M. Rob?.....Beast just ran for over 20 and he grabs a face mask?

That isn't Bevells fault. Also RW shorthopped that ball to Tate and that would have kept a drive going.

Just too many mistakes against a good defense, oh and the refs were gawd awful.

RiverDog

Reaction score
What killed us was the penalties, on both sides of the ball. We eliminate those and we win easily.

Perhaps we would have been better off passing more, but I think the plan from the get go was to try to establish a running game, which IMO is one of the reasons why we saw Carpenter starting at LG instead of McQ. Hindsight is 20/20.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Tokadub":2ktd0xs0 said:
Anything specific that you disagree about? Or just hard to think of the team you love so critically. Pretty much every single one of my points is based on statistics so I'm really curious what you disagree about.

We do have some flaws, I think this post outlines them quite clearly.

Hmm.. every team has flaws, the difference is how big are they and how they apply to a situation.

Interesting that Hawks actually moved the ball fairly well, considering the level of the Niner's defense on the road. I thought that they played more than well enough to win and that the Niners made a play or two that the Hawks didn't have time to make. Good for the Niners, but offensive "woes"? LMAO!!!!!!

Game features 2 outstanding defenses, in SF. The only REAL mistakes by Seattle were penalties and even with that they were able to keep the game tight until the last seconds. I see no concerns going forward, not even if the Hawks had to play in Frisco again. Didn't the Hawks just bitch-slap the Saints the week before? Do you see the difference?

Right... Offensive Woes.. Nice story.

hawker84

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":32ki0ytr said:
I actually agree with the OP.

For whatever reason, Seahawks were either playing it safe or keeping it casual. You can win games like that against lesser teams as in letting the opponent dictate the flow and then matching their intensity.

But you can't do that on the road , vs your biggest divisional rival, when a win meant winning the NFC West...Seahawks dropped the ball big time and played with fear.

It seems to me the Seahawks priorities weren't really about doing everything in their power to win and coming out with the arsenal and firepower but leaving with Russell Wilson intact and in full health.

You can't play with fear... you can't play in fear... and you could tell Wilson was agitated with the dumb downed playbook...

Played with Fear? GTFOH.... Played conservative, vanilla, ok, but fear? Nah

ZagHawk

Reaction score
seabowl":3ikxcvb9 said:
One thing I do agree with is letting Russell run more out of the read option. Dude can move and this keeps D off balance.

I think they may have been trying to avoid this just because it seemed like the Niners were just looking for an excuse to put him on a stretcher this game.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I'm gonna believe Pete's presser where he said the 9ers took away Russells runs on read option with two very capable spies, but I also agree there should have been more adjustments via Russell's arm mixed in with the hand offs to Lynch. We have a good D and running game, but choosing to grind it out on the ground with the 9ers is kinda/sorta playing into their hands, IMO. I have a feeling that pride in matching fire with fire, with some stubbornness sprinkled in, shackled us to an extent.

BreesIsOverrated

Reaction score
RiverDog":1qj2m17l said:
What killed us was the penalties, on both sides of the ball. We eliminate those and we win easily.

Perhaps we would have been better off passing more, but I think the plan from the get go was to try to establish a running game, which IMO is one of the reasons why we saw Carpenter starting at LG instead of McQ. Hindsight is 20/20.
I agree. Although at least 2 of those penalties were questionable at best. Refs did us no favors.