4th down call

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
The flag never came out and the DB was holding his arm, Moore trapped the ball on his shoulder pad before the other arm came up, it would have been a no call. Call it home field advantage.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":glbbg0t7 said:
Big enough that he comes out looking like an idiot a lot of the times.
LOL :stirthepot: NOT THIS TIME :roll: :141847_bnono: :twisted:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3gvzgmjm said:
Sports Hernia":3gvzgmjm said:
Glad the Carolina CB didn’t get his head turned. Great pass, great catch, great result, bad CB technique.

Question as I was listening to the game until last Church service: was Griffin’s non-head turn pass interference call more or less egregious than the Panthers CB? It seemed to me the Panthers CB was more focused on not allowing David Moore to get his 2nd hand free rather making any type of football play on the ball.
I think The Carolina player’s was more blatant and worse. Another reason for Shaq to get his head around though is I don’t think that’s called a penalty if he does.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":27cbj32b said:
pittpnthrs":27cbj32b said:

pitt makes one post in the main forum after today's win, and it's still disparaging. Sigh. . .

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":29t55b3k said:
scutterhawk":29t55b3k said:
pittpnthrs":29t55b3k said:

pitt makes one post in the main forum after today's win, and it's still disparaging. Sigh. . .

That's because I had a mini stroke when he threw that ball. Lol. It was a great win today. Might be the turn of the season.

Seymour

Reaction score
Interesting. The haters haven't appeared to call this hero ball yet? :snack:

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":ya0ofota said:
scutterhawk":ya0ofota said:
pittpnthrs":ya0ofota said:

Agreed...this guy has got to get happy somehow. Tedious posts.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The play: https://streamable.com/zqt2t

Great protection against a five (and then six) man blitz. Beautiful throw by Wilson. Amazing catch by Moore. I love how he tossed the defender to the ground, as if to say “GET OUT OF MY WAY, BOY.”

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":1abnf66y said:
Ad Hawk":1abnf66y said:
scutterhawk":1abnf66y said:
pittpnthrs":1abnf66y said:

Just send me money.

So the Hawks hit on a 4th down bomb when they only had a few yards to go. That's reckless in my opinion. Like the FG that was passed up earlier in the game, or needless onside kicks, etc,,,. I just wish Pete didn't play it so cute and loose. Sure they hit on a few of them, but a bunch of them make you scratch your head wondering what he's trying to prove. Regardless of all that, I'm thrilled we won. Great win today.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3epnv3i4 said:
PlinytheCenter":3epnv3i4 said:
Ad Hawk":3epnv3i4 said:
scutterhawk":3epnv3i4 said:

Just send me money.

So the Hawks hit on a 4th down bomb when they only had a few yards to go. That's reckless in my opinion. Like the FG that was passed up earlier in the game, or needless onside kicks, etc,,,. I just wish Pete didn't play it so cute and loose. Sure they hit on a few of them, but a bunch of them make you scratch your head wondering what he's trying to prove.

They had a one-on-one matchup against Corn Elder, due to the Panthers starting CB getting injured.

They targeted him for a reason. Then Seahawks know more about football than you do.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Its not reckless as he was one on one and had beat his guy.

If you dont want to credit the pass or decision then dont. But posting it was "reckless," is either disingenuous criticism for the sake of it or just simple ignorance of not just Russ (how many times have we seen that from him? Hell... 4 times today) but just manipulation of matchups in football in general.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ei1audq said:

If you dont want to credit the pass or decision then dont. But posting it was "reckless," is either disingenuous criticism for the sake of it or just simple ignorance of not just Russ (how many times have we seen that from him? Hell... 4 times today) but just manipulation of matchups in football in general.

It was a low percentage play on a down where we only needed 3 yards. I get his point. When Wilson let go of it I was horrified.

Now of course the counterpoint is that it was a backup DB and Russ saw that Moore had a step so that swings it back to a more favorable choice. And it worked out. But given the choice on a 4th and 3, MOST of the time, I would prefer a higher percentage play personally ;)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2rgutjck said:
Uncle Si":2rgutjck said:

It was a low percentage play on a down where we only needed 3 yards. I get his point. When Wilson let go of it I was horrified.

Now of course the counterpoint is that it was a backup DB and Russ saw that Moore had a step so that swings it back to a more favorable choice. And it worked out. But given the choice on a 4th and 3, MOST of the time, I would prefer a higher percentage play personally ;)

He called it reckless without taking the time to observe the matchup or look at what the rest of the field looked like. Its a poor take. Did Russ pass up a shorter option that was also open?

This is the NFL... hitting guys who are open from any distance is pretty high percentage

Not to mention russ is very good at that throw, as seen throughout his career.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Uncle Si":5ana9t2j said:
Hawkpower":5ana9t2j said:
Uncle Si":5ana9t2j said:

He called it reckless without taking the time to observe the matchup or look at what the rest of the field looked like. Its a poor take. Did Russ pass up a shorter option that was also open?

This is the NFL... hitting guys who are open from any distance is pretty high percentage

Not to mention russ is very good at that throw, as seen throughout his career.

Agreed, reckless was probably a strong word. A bit risky though for sure.

I would say wide open is a stretch too...he had a step....but the defender was also pinning his arm. Hardly wide open. If Moore can't snag the ball one handed Carolina gets away with PI and we lose.

To answer your other question, it looked like he could have hit Lockett over the middle, but from my view I couldn't see the safety so admittedly that is a limited take...

We've seen Russ go deep on 3rd/4th often and you are right, he hits on those pretty well. I was ok with it, but in principle overall Id rather see something higher percentage. Call me old and conservative lol

olyfan63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2pur3z5c said:

Can we lay off the word "disingenuous" where it's absolutely not called for?
It's a bit of an attack word, and out of place in this situation, where it's bafflement, lack of knowledge (ignorance?), etc., with clearly NO apparent intent to mislead or troll.

Dictionary, Google search:
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
synonyms: insincere, dishonest, untruthful, false, deceitful, duplicitous, lying, mendacious; hypocritical
"that innocent, teary-eyed look is just part of a disingenuous act"

Suggested words instead:
Well, honestly, the whole sentence containing it was needlessly harsh, up to the "or".

Why the big production on this? Because "disingenuous" ascribes *motive* to another person, willful, nefarious motive, like trolling. Many moons ago someone on here used that word inappropriately on me, and on others, and I took exception then. Do you really know *anything* about someone's motivation? Why ascribe to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance? (aka Hanlon's Razor)

"Disingenous" could certainly be an accurate word for obvious trolls.

That said, my heart skipped a beat when I saw Russell throw that ball deep, and I thought, "I sure hope Russell is guessing right on the risk/reward on that throw". He was.

Reminded me a bit of the 4th and 7 throw to Kearse for a TD in the 2013 NFCCG, though in that one we had the security blanket of an offsides-on-49ers free play.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3hpy33ov said:
Sports Hernia":3hpy33ov said:
Glad the Carolina CB didn’t get his head turned. Great pass, great catch, great result, bad CB technique.

Question as I was listening to the game until last Church service: was Griffin’s non-head turn pass interference call more or less egregious than the Panthers CB? It seemed to me the Panthers CB was more focused on not allowing David Moore to get his 2nd hand free rather making any type of football play on the ball.

The PI call on Griffin was, unfortunately, legit. IF ONLY.. Griffin could have gotten his body around to find the ball and make it plausible, likely no PI.

It was one of those where on the one hand it feels ticky-tack, on the other hand, there is a very clear definition and interpretation of the rule, and Griffin's contact, unfortunately, precisely met the definition and interpretation.

Sherman, in his heyday here, would have gotten his body turned, and probably avoided a PI call, and also gotten a hand on the pass, given his length.

The Panthers CB non-PI call, on a grab of one of Moore's arms, is one that a ref would have to have a clear view of to make the call. If seen and called, a totally legit call. It's possible a slightly delayed flag may have come out if Moore didn't make the catch. On the road though, getting a flag there is maybe a 50/50 proposition or a little less.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
olyfan63":305ltwmw said:
Uncle Si":305ltwmw said:

Can we lay off the word "disingenuous" where it's absolutely not called for?
It's a bit of an attack word, and out of place in this situation, where it's bafflement, lack of knowledge (ignorance?), etc., with clearly NO apparent intent to mislead or troll.

Dictionary, Google search:
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
synonyms: insincere, dishonest, untruthful, false, deceitful, duplicitous, lying, mendacious; hypocritical
"that innocent, teary-eyed look is just part of a disingenuous act"

Suggested words instead:
Well, honestly, the whole sentence containing it was needlessly harsh, up to the "or".

Why the big production on this? Because "disingenuous" ascribes *motive* to another person, willful, nefarious motive, like trolling. Many moons ago someone on here used that word inappropriately on me, and on others, and I took exception then. Do you really know *anything* about someone's motivation? Why ascribe to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance? (aka Hanlon's Razor)

"Disingenous" could certainly be an accurate word for obvious trolls.

That said, my heart skipped a beat when I saw Russell throw that ball deep, and I thought, "I sure hope Russell is guessing right on the risk/reward on that throw". He was.

Reminded me a bit of the 4th and 7 throw to Kearse for a TD in the 2013 NFCCG, though in that one we had the security blanket of an offsides-on-49ers free play.

I know what disingenuous means. Can we lay off using dictionary.com? not only is it incredibly condescending (which, im sure you know the definition of, as well as synonyms for), its also a rather juvenile tool for making a point.

I believe his criticism is disingenuous, as I've read many of his posts and discussed this subject many times. That's why i selected the word.

So, instead of jumping in and making it about you, just give us your thoughts on the play.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
rcaido":154qqj58 said:
Reminds me of the 49ers NFC Championship TD to Kearse.

That was a free play because the 49ers jumped offside.

This was the Jeremy Bates special, and it was just dumb. And everyone would be calling for Schotty's head right now had Moore missed.

Good result, bad process.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":161npk9u said:
rcaido":161npk9u said:
Reminds me of the 49ers NFC Championship TD to Kearse.

That was a free play because the 49ers jumped offside.

This was the Jeremy Bates special, and it was just dumb. And everyone would be calling for Schotty's head right now had Moore missed.

Good result, bad process.

why Schotty?

Russ made the throw, and the choice. It's the type of throw that big time Qbs in this league make, the type of chances those qbs take.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Playcall was reckless.

Execution was not. Russ likely knew he was either going to get a TD or a DPI, and he should have had both.

But honestly, when Russ planted and let it fly deep, was there anyone who didn’t cringe a little, and have a little voice inside them saying, “you only need three yards here?”