4th down call

Seymour

Reaction score
I would not call that pass play reckless. I'd say it was higher risk than the situation called for since the game hinged on it, but reckless, no.

They knew there was a weakness and mismatch and went right after it, so that part I like. :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
We would have legitimately been scratching our heads and calling Pete reckless, we have done it before. 3 yards on a drop roll out Read option would have given us options and a higher chance for success to continue playing on downs.

But this time it worked to all our relief, Pete played in the secondary, you take chances there, and need to learn but forget at the same time and get ready for the next play. That's how he coaches as well. Today it worked.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2c1nrvqr said:
I know what disingenuous means. Can we lay off using dictionary.com? not only is it incredibly condescending (which, im sure you know the definition of, as well as synonyms for), its also a rather juvenile tool for making a point.

I believe his criticism is disingenuous, as I've read many of his posts and discussed this subject many times. That's why i selected the word.

So, instead of jumping in and making it about you, just give us your thoughts on the play.

Thank you for the clarification of your views. I don't track other posters history enough to ascribe nefarious motives to them.
Thank you for calling me "juvenile".
Are you always this grumpy to feel the need to attach negative labels to others?
Acknowledging that I just called you grumpy, being guilty of the same offense I'm complaining about.

Enough other posters have used "disingenous" badly on this forum that I chose to comment on it. It's a negative, attacking word IMO. If that's really how you think about other posters, fallible humans all of us, I suppose that's your call.

I did share my thoughts on the play. "Oh shit, I hope Wilson made the right read and knows what he's doing... and puts it on target... and the receiver makes the play... YESSSS!!!" and compared it to the 4th and 7 2013 NFCCG TD that Wilson threw to Kearse. Wilson does definitely have a history of going for broke with deep throws and rolling a winner. I wouldn't include Fail Mary (it was a *catch*) in that history because there was no other "lower risk" option on that one.

Also, like you, I give the "Big *Brass* Balls" award to Wilson on this one, not Schotty, not Pete, because it was Wilson's read and decision as a QB. There's an amusing "Big Balls" thread with quite the picture in it.
That throw fits Wilson's personality and history. Thinking about it more, there are quite a few times Wilson has eschewed the same "just get a first down" throw and gone deep, especially when it's Doug Baldwin on the other end.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2qwt2uu5 said:
MontanaHawk05":2qwt2uu5 said:
rcaido":2qwt2uu5 said:
Reminds me of the 49ers NFC Championship TD to Kearse.

That was a free play because the 49ers jumped offside.

This was the Jeremy Bates special, and it was just dumb. And everyone would be calling for Schotty's head right now had Moore missed.

Good result, bad process.

why Schotty?

Russ made the throw, and the choice. It's the type of throw that big time Qbs in this league make, the type of chances those qbs take.
Exactly.
That call and throw was all Wilson. If we didnt have an elite QB who excels in crunch time our coach would have chosen differently.
David Moore was Wilson's second option on that play and a great touch pass on time under a blitz doesn't get done on 4th and 3 UNLESS YOU HAVE CLUTCHNESS.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hawkpower":198dighx said:
Uncle Si":198dighx said:
Its not reckless as he was one on one and had beat his guy.

If you dont want to credit the pass or decision then dont. But posting it was "reckless," is either disingenuous criticism for the sake of it or just simple ignorance of not just Russ (how many times have we seen that from him? Hell... 4 times today) but just manipulation of matchups in football in general.

It was a low percentage play on a down where we only needed 3 yards. I get his point. When Wilson let go of it I was horrified.

Now of course the counterpoint is that it was a backup DB and Russ saw that Moore had a step so that swings it back to a more favorable choice. And it worked out. But given the choice on a 4th and 3, MOST of the time, I would prefer a higher percentage play personally ;)

Thank you. It was a low percentage play. That's the words I should have used. Everything seems to need spelled out around here for some reason.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
I am just relieved it worked in our favor, and the wow factor is unbelievable. :179417:

Now, if it didn't work, on the otherhand... :rumble:

But, it did. :179417:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":327ttvew said:
Hawkpower":327ttvew said:
Uncle Si":327ttvew said:
Its not reckless as he was one on one and had beat his guy.

If you dont want to credit the pass or decision then dont. But posting it was "reckless," is either disingenuous criticism for the sake of it or just simple ignorance of not just Russ (how many times have we seen that from him? Hell... 4 times today) but just manipulation of matchups in football in general.

It was a low percentage play on a down where we only needed 3 yards. I get his point. When Wilson let go of it I was horrified.

Now of course the counterpoint is that it was a backup DB and Russ saw that Moore had a step so that swings it back to a more favorable choice. And it worked out. But given the choice on a 4th and 3, MOST of the time, I would prefer a higher percentage play personally ;)

Thank you. It was a low percentage play. That's the words I should have used. Everything seems to need spelled out around here for some reason.

You said reckless.

Easy to spell and to discern its meaning.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Big Balls Pete... Big Balls Russ... Big Balls Dickson. Maybe it's just a team full of brass clackers!

[youtube]6amRqbEj4rs[/youtube]

SeattleBigBalls_BreakingT_shirt.jpg

pmedic920

Reaction score
Wasn’t that long ago....

This place was littered with complaints that we didn’t go “vertical” enough.

Why doesn’t Russ throw the “deep” ball?

Etc etc.

My how time changes things.

I’ve never claimed to be an X&O guy, and my Football IQ is on the lower end of the spectrum, so maybe this is way off base.

4th & 3 seems like a situation that the D wouldn’t be expecting the deep ball, especially from a “run first” team.

Throwing a deep ball when the D isn’t expecting it, in my mind mitigates some of the risk involved.

I could go on but my point is, I just don’t have a problem with the play, it freaking worked, it was amazing to watch, it got me off my ass and fist pumping the air.
That’s why I watch football.

Sure I know what it feels like when big plays don’t work, we all do but I know it too well to bitch and complain when it does work out.

That play was a thing of beauty, I don’t understand the complaints even if we do see the risk.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely perfect throw and catch, on 4th and 3.............MONEY. Are people going to complain about something that COULD have happened instead of giving due to the gutsy call, throw and catch???? Would it hurt to actually give credit to Wilson for an amazing throw in the clutch :?
And Moore was clearly being held, so it ends up being a TD catch with one arm. Next level clutch play between QB and WR.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":31selr6q said:
Absolutely perfect throw and catch, on 4th and 3.............MONEY. Are people going to complain about something that COULD have happened instead of giving due to the gutsy call, throw and catch???? Would it hurt to actually give credit to Wilson for an amazing throw in the clutch :?
And Moore was clearly being held, so it ends up being a TD catch with one arm. Next level clutch play between QB and WR.

That's a highlight you'll see forever.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":37zhqyj5 said:
It was a horrid play call, and it happened at a poor time. It worked, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea. That decision could have easily thrown the game. We've had several poor calls like this by Pete that threw games this year. Not a smart decision. It worked out in the end, but the potential risk vs. reward was too great. Poor situational football.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2o90ko18 said:
SoulfishHawk":2o90ko18 said:
It was a horrid play call, and it happened at a poor time. It worked, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea. That decision could have easily thrown the game. We've had several poor calls like this by Pete that threw games this year. Not a smart decision. It worked out in the end, but the potential risk vs. reward was too great. Poor situational football.

Forgot the "in my not-so-humble opinion" qualifier there, doctor of spin.

The call was fantastic, not just because it worked, but because it took advantage of a mismatch, coupled with Russ's high quality deep ball, and no safety help over the top. It was a 1-on-1 situation with pass interference potential (actual, but not called, too). The ball could have landed in nearly a 5-7 yard area, and Moore still could have caught it for the TD.

We've had plays like this before that have won us games. Great decision, and I hope to see it again.

justafan

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":zjfmpy2s said:
Spin Doctor":zjfmpy2s said:
SoulfishHawk":zjfmpy2s said:

The call was fantastic, not just because it worked, but because it took advantage of a mismatch, coupled with Russ's high quality deep ball, and no safety help over the top. It was a 1-on-1 situation with pass interference potential (actual, but not called, too). The ball could have landed in nearly a 5-7 yard area, and Moore still could have caught it for the TD.

We've had plays like this before that have won us games. Great decision, and I hope to see it again.

We dont know enough about the call to say it was horrid.I know i dont but i doubt that was his first read. I suspect Wilson didnt like his first option and made the decision to go with it and had the guts to make the play.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
justafan":153yilrr said:
Ad Hawk":153yilrr said:
Spin Doctor":153yilrr said:
SoulfishHawk":153yilrr said:

We dont know enough about the call to say it was horrid.I know i dont but i doubt that was his first read. I suspect Wilson didnt like his first option and made the decision to go with it and had the guts to make the play.

Wilson throws one of the best passes of the season and people are complaining about the play call? Unbelievable. Last year, it would have been a bubble screen for a loss of 10 or a classic "O-Line fall down" play. LOVE the gutsy call, and the execution. Period.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, it is dot net. Complaining about wins, how they look etc. is pretty normal. So, complaining about a play that worked seems par for the course :lol:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just because something worked, does not mean it will work again.

I certainly do not want to see us do another long bomb on a 4th and 3 against any kind of effective secondary.

It worked because the Panthers secondary is thin and even their barely average starters were out. And they were focusing on the run.

But we have seen our share of long bombs when we need short yardage before that did not work. Just because it worked here does not mean it was a good call. Even more so considering the receiver was covered.

But against the Panthers, considering we had to score and their secondary was suspect - taking those kinds of shots is not as bad. I just don't want to see it against good secondaries. Though, on 4th down if picked off it becomes the equivalent of a punt.

I would like to see plays that convert 4th downs that don't have such a high degree of difficulty. It worked in this instance, so hopefully, this was just a shot we took because it was the Panthers.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Lol. This is ridiculous.

Brees, Rodgers, Brady...any elite QB makes that throw on 4th and 3...and the usual suspects on here would say “That’s what separates elite QBs. The ability to make gutsy, accurate throws like that. Pete got out-coached, Russ is not on that level.”

Russell makes that throw. Puts enough arc on it that even if the DB did turn around he’d have trouble tracking it(and Moore) down, and there’s complaints about how ill-advised the call was. Just wow. I knew some of you were biased against Wilson but I didn’t think it ran that deep.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It really does run deep, I will never understand why it runs so deep.
He is fearless. But it's only acceptable if Brees, Rodgers or Brady does the exact same thing. When they do it, they are clutch elite QB's who are a notch above everyone else. Sometimes, it's like clapping with one hand. Oh well, makes for great conversation.

mikeak

Reaction score
Scorpion05":kap33dab said:
Lol. This is ridiculous.

Brees, Rodgers, Brady...any elite QB makes that throw on 4th and 3...and the usual suspects on here would say “That’s what separates elite QBs. The ability to make gutsy, accurate throws like that. Pete got out-coached, Russ is not on that level.”

Russell makes that throw. Puts enough arc on it that even if the DB did turn around he’d have trouble tracking it(and Moore) down, and there’s complaints about how ill-advised the call was. Just wow. I knew some of you were biased against Wilson but I didn’t think it ran that deep.

A bad call doesn't mean that RW didn't throw a perfect pass that very few can execute

I think it is beyond discussion that it was a perfect throw. Who has said it wasn't?

It is like watching basketball and see your team throw up a contested three. You think why did the idiot do that - then it goes in and you celebrate

If that was the primary receiver it was a relatively bad play call. Maybe RW saw holding, maybe he was just confident he could make it and threw it - awesome it worked we are all happy.

On 4th down to determine the game when you need 3 - still not the smartest play by the percentages