5 Free Agents The Seahawks Should Target

Sac

Reaction score
getnasty":2qzwsz8b said:
FargoHawk":2qzwsz8b said:
Kenny Britt is an absolute head case and I want him nowhere near our locker room.
Don't you think a locker room like ours, a QB like Russell, and a coach like Pete can bring the best out of a guy like this.

That or he'll be out of here faster than Lendale White.

getnasty

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":238k7bac said:
getnasty":238k7bac said:
FargoHawk":238k7bac said:
Kenny Britt is an absolute head case and I want him nowhere near our locker room.
Don't you think a locker room like ours, a QB like Russell, and a coach like Pete can bring the best out of a guy like this.

That or he'll be out of here faster than Lendale White.

Bingo!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
When I read the thread title, my first thought was that either it's written by Kearly or it has a link to Bleacher Report.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Keller. Nope.
Maclin, I could see that.
Oher. Nope.
Britt. Hell no.
I cant remember the other one, but no on him too.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ggoznoh said:
Keller. Nope.
Maclin, I could see that.
Oher. Nope.
Britt. Hell no.
I cant remember the other one, but no on him too.

Melton. Not saying I want him, but if we lose Bennett and Melton's market flounders, I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up in Seattle.

Maclin is actually looking to bet on himself with a 1 year deal (he keeps rejecting multi-year deals from Philly). Too bad Seattle is a hor-awful place for a WR to go if he wants to build his value. Keller, Oher, Britt, can't see it.

kearly

Reaction score
I would be totally fine with standing pat this offseason and saving money. But below are a few big name FA that I think could make sense for Seattle at the right price. What I'm really hoping for is to have Seattle find more guys like Tony McDaniel last offseason, guys that come in here for $800k and play like a $5 million a year player. But if Seattle goes after big name players, these are a few I think they could at least kick the tires on:

Greg Hardy.

Moving on from Bryant COULD mean that Seattle is ending the Bryant experiment. Bryant played just 44% of the snaps last season, at least that's what I heard on the radio. Clemons will be gone. Avril might be gone after 2014. Irvin appears locked in at LB. DE is a quiet need, and if Carolina doesn't tag him, Hardy will be the best UFA 4-3 DE to hit free agency since Mario Williams. I think Hardy is an extremely good player (very quick, very physical, great against the run and has 26 sacks over past two seasons). I would consider $13 million a season to be good value. If he gets a Mario Williams offer then you walk away, but if you can get him for 5/65 I think Seattle should strongly consider the option, even though it will mean making sacrifices elsewhere (probably Bennett or perhaps Sherman).

Hardy is one of my favorite players in the league, but I'm not sure PC/JS will feel the same unfortunately. Hardy is quick, but not fast, and Seattle is all about speed at LEO. Then again, Clemons was not the fastest guy and Brock was slow, so it might be that they make speed exceptions for veterans.

Jared Allen.

If I could sign Allen to the deal Avril got last year, I would do it. His athletic profile is not the kind that is going to fall off a cliff next season. Allen might sign for a little less for a shot at a ring. Given that nobody would give Minnesota a 3rd round pick for Allen last year, I think it's likely his cost remains short and reasonable. I don't think Allen is a priority, I just think he has a chance to be a FA bargain due to age bias and as said before DE is a minor need. (Obviously, if we get Hardy, I would forget about Allen, unless he was dirt cheap for some reason).

Eric Decker.

Decker is a little overrated, but he has good physical talent and provides an easy solution to Seattle's need for a redline threat with size. I have a hunch Decker's market will not be as robust as some think. I think a lot of people believe Decker was made to look good by Manning and GMs will not pay him in accordance with his production. He will also be hurt by all the tall WRs in the draft. If Decker becomes available as a $6 million a year WR, I would be okay with paying a little more for Decker and letting Tate walk.

Troy Polamalu (if released).

Most Steelers fans I've talked to have told me that Polamalu is still playing at a high level and would be upset if they lose him to make cap room. Seattle needs a quality 3rd safety for their nickle defense. Polamalu was Pete's favorite all-time player at USC. If he signs a low-cost short term deal, I think Seattle is a good fit. And because Polamalu would be released in this scenario, he would not count against Seattle when factoring future comp picks.

Jared Veldheer.

Ranked the 9th best left tackle in the NFL by PFF in 2012, many experts predicted a breakout year for Veldheer in 2013. Instead he got hurt and struggled. Veldheer was drafted and developed initially by Tom Cable. His 2013 injury was a muscle injury and should not be an issue going forward. If he's available on a reasonable deal, maybe $6 million per, I would consider him a good pickup, especially given his flexibility. He can play any of five spots on the OL if needed to. I don't expect him to be that cheap, but coming from the Raiders he's likely under the radar, plus his 2013 season was basically like Max Unger's, which won't help raise his sticker price.

The Radish

Reaction score
96Kai":hbjwlbfj said:
Hi Seahawks fans, :D

I just finished my first article of the Seattle Seahawks, and I'm super excited to be honest. It's a list of five free agents they should target in free agency, and I focused more on under-the-radar players, who won't cost a lot.

Yeah, I wanted to hear your opinion about it, and it would be totally awesome if you give me some tips or tell me what you think about it (if I missed anyone for example - hopefully not, though ^^).

Thanks up front for every reader and for every critic, if you don't want to read it, then I'm ok with this, too, however sad. :mrgreen:

And, to maybe get a discussion going:
Which soon-to-be free agent do you want to see in a Seahawks jersey?

96kai check your PMs please. Top of page where it says new messages.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":4mvm5cto said:
I would be totally fine with standing pat this offseason and saving money. But below are a few big name FA that I think could make sense for Seattle at the right price. What I'm really hoping for is to have Seattle find more guys like Tony McDaniel last offseason, guys that come in here for $800k and play like a $5 million a year player. But if Seattle goes after big name players, these are a few I think they could at least kick the tires on:

Greg Hardy.

Moving on from Bryant COULD mean that Seattle is ending the Bryant experiment. Bryant played just 44% of the snaps last season, at least that's what I heard on the radio. Clemons will be gone. Avril might be gone after 2014. Irvin appears locked in at LB. DE is a quiet need, and if Carolina doesn't tag him, Hardy will be the best UFA 4-3 DE to hit free agency since Mario Williams. I think Hardy is an extremely good player (very quick, very physical, great against the run and has 26 sacks over past two seasons). I would consider $13 million a season to be good value. If he gets a Mario Williams offer then you walk away, but if you can get him for 5/65 I think Seattle should strongly consider the option, even though it will mean making sacrifices elsewhere (probably Bennett or perhaps Sherman).

Hardy is one of my favorite players in the league, but I'm not sure PC/JS will feel the same unfortunately. Hardy is quick, but not fast, and Seattle is all about speed at LEO. Then again, Clemons was not the fastest guy and Brock was slow, so it might be that they make speed exceptions for veterans.

Jared Allen.

If I could sign Allen to the deal Avril got last year, I would do it. His athletic profile is not the kind that is going to fall off a cliff next season. Allen might sign for a little less for a shot at a ring. Given that nobody would give Minnesota a 3rd round pick for Allen last year, I think it's likely his cost remains short and reasonable. I don't think Allen is a priority, I just think he has a chance to be a FA bargain due to age bias and as said before DE is a minor need. (Obviously, if we get Hardy, I would forget about Allen, unless he was dirt cheap for some reason).

Eric Decker.

Decker is a little overrated, but he has good physical talent and provides an easy solution to Seattle's need for a redline threat with size. I have a hunch Decker's market will not be as robust as some think. I think a lot of people believe Decker was made to look good by Manning and GMs will not pay him in accordance with his production. He will also be hurt by all the tall WRs in the draft. If Decker becomes available as a $6 million a year WR, I would be okay with paying a little more for Decker and letting Tate walk.

Troy Polamalu (if released).

Most Steelers fans I've talked to have told me that Polamalu is still playing at a high level and would be upset if they lose him to make cap room. Seattle needs a quality 3rd safety for their nickle defense. Polamalu was Pete's favorite all-time player at USC. If he signs a low-cost short term deal, I think Seattle is a good fit. And because Polamalu would be released in this scenario, he would not count against Seattle when factoring future comp picks.

Jared Veldheer.

Ranked the 9th best left tackle in the NFL by PFF in 2012, many experts predicted a breakout year for Veldheer in 2013. Instead he got hurt and struggled. Veldheer was drafted and developed initially by Tom Cable. His 2013 injury was a muscle injury and should not be an issue going forward. If he's available on a reasonable deal, maybe $6 million per, I would consider him a good pickup, especially given his flexibility. He can play any of five spots on the OL if needed to. I don't expect him to be that cheap, but coming from the Raiders he's likely under the radar, plus his 2013 season was basically like Max Unger's, which won't help raise his sticker price.
Call me a chicken, but Melton scares me. Coming off a major injury, and I don't love the length of a career arc when a guy puts as much weight on as he did to switch positions to play at DT.

Veldheer is reportedly asking for 12 mil. Even if he was willing to settle for two thirds of that he would cost too much.

Troy I would like as much for his attitude as his play, but I honestly don't know how much he still has in the tank. He is losing his wheels, and looks due for the Ed Reed fall off.

Decker does not impress me much. I like his skills, but I think the guy is soft. It's the one quality there is no room for on this team. Lockette found a place here by being tough in specials.

Considering the Panthers past history with the franchise tag, I think it still may be that Hardy isn't even on the market. I am going to watch more all 22 on Hardy, I want to know how much the dominance of his two tackles impacted his pass rushing.

Jared Allen is an easy yes for me. I think the guy still has 3 years in him, he isn't a Kearney type guy who had to bulk way up play the position. Especially if he is on the cheaps looking for a ring.

Hawkeye Rob

Reaction score
I like the topic and the focus (though the article seems to be a bootstrap to keep this topic in the Seahawks instead of NFL forum). One of the strengths of Seattle's front office the past few years has been finding veteran role players or players looking to prove their worth at much less than their market value. While the team is exceptionally strong, and continuity is important, the team can't move away from its always compete mantra and should continue to bring in guys to challenge incumbents (like Winfield last year, just because we sign them doesn't mean they'll make the team). Add in the fact they're now Superbowl champs, and that coach popularity poll earlier this year suggests Carroll is a coach a significant number of players want to play for, I think they've got a couple of additional pulls to bring in players at less than market value.

From your article, Melton is one who I think fits the bill. I've seen several articles that talk about him having to take a one year prove it deal to show he's back from his injury, and I was really hoping we'd get him last year before Chicago franchised him. While I'd still prefer a long term deal with Bennett (one situation where his fit for the Seahawk's system justifies the expense), if we can't work out a deal, Melton would be an excellent replacement.

Maclin is another interesting option, especially with the word out of Philly that he wants a one year deal. Tate I'm admittedly torn on whether he should be brought back. No question about his skill and drive, but I'm not sure he's an irreplaceable part. There seem to be several WRs available at Tate's tier of skill, and I think there are a bunch of WRs in this years draft that might be better. I'm not sure if it's worth investing 4-5 million a year if you can get Maclin cheaper, and develop a rookie for the long term.

One player that I would add to the list is Jon Asamoah, RG, from Kansas City. He's only 26, and was a good blocker last season until a shoulder injury forced him out of a game, and Schwartz took over and never let go of the spot. I think Seattle could upgrade both guard spots (Sweezy isn't bad, I just think we could do better). Regardless, Asamoah would provide a competitive push. That said, I have no idea what Asamoah is going to demand in free agency, or which direction KC will go in resigning either Schwartz or Asamoah. If he's affordable, he's one I'd like to see Seattle target.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I have no doubt that some free agents will definitely take a shorter deal for less money to come here (especially a player like Allen). Can you even fathom thinking that a couple of years ago.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Allen a Seahawk? Just what we need...another viking. Who should we offer a ring to next AP?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
I don't know if Maclin would've been a good alternative for Tate...

Jeremy Maclin’s one-year deal with the Eagles is worth up to $6M with $3.5M guaranteed, per source. A win-win

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/439502484462374913

He signed for a little more than what everyone expects Tate is goona get per year and that is on a discounted/show me type of contract. Probably would've been a little bit more if it was a long term deal. We'll see how it compares when Tate puts the ink on the paper.

kearly

Reaction score
With the sizable cap increase, franchising Hardy was a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, Michael Bennett's price tag just went up a little.

lukerguy

Reaction score
It all depends on Bennett. If we Re-sign Bennett then I can't see us making more than 1-2 other UFA transactions. It's a tough question for the Seahawks because their primary goal is retaining their own. I think they'll continue to aim at the DL in UFA, it's pretty deep there.

CortezCortez

Reaction score
JOSH MCCOWN.

Honestly, Russel is like a walking timebomb. His style of quick lateral play and scrambling, he's going to get HAMMERED one of these days. We need a solid backup QB. BJ Daniels is NOT the answer.

Look at what McCown did in Chicago last season. He played with like 100+ efficiency through 5 games or so, and kept the bears in the hunt for the playoffs, until Cutler came back and eventually fcked it up on his own.

SIGN MCCOWN!

bigtrain21

Reaction score
CortezCortez":57qdgiwa said:
JOSH MCCOWN.

Honestly, Russel is like a walking timebomb. His style of quick lateral play and scrambling, he's going to get HAMMERED one of these days. We need a solid backup QB. BJ Daniels is NOT the answer.

Look at what McCown did in Chicago last season. He played with like 100+ efficiency through 5 games or so, and kept the bears in the hunt for the playoffs, until Cutler came back and eventually fcked it up on his own.

SIGN MCCOWN!

He is 35 troll.

kearly

Reaction score
At least one team is considering McCown as a starter (Jets). He's 35, but he was really good last season and these days QBs can dominate even in their late 30s. McCown's situation right now is a lot like Brett Favre's when the Packers moved on. Favre still had an MVP caliber season left in him. If we needed a starting QB I would be totally fine with giving McCown a short term deal on what could potentially be a bargain contract. I think a few teams will realize this and it will drive McCown's price way too high for Seattle to consider as a backup.

I'd bet that Seattle drafts Connor Shaw and then has Shaw, Tjack, and Daniels compete for the #2 job this summer. Shaw is the perfect fit for us, I hope we get him late in the draft or in UDFA.