6 head coaches fired/retired. Cable or Bevell get interview?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
W/L is not only a component of the offense.

In fact, for the most part, the greatest contributor to our W/L record is the success of the defense.

Our offense has been, for the most part, mediocre under Bevell. Check the #s for yourself. All offensive effectiveness numbers are in the bottom half of the league.

There was a small period that our offense peeked above the bottom half, but that was more because our RB, Marshawn Lynch, was producing HOF quality work in terms of yards after contact, broken tackles and missed tackles.

In fact, the loss of Lynch turned us from a SB contender to a team that barely made a wildcard.

It was the need to stop Lynch and commit their defense to doing so, that opened things up for the rest of our offense and made it look so effective. But without Lynch, that was over.

It was never Bevell, it was the defenses that had no choice but to pour their resources into stopping him that made our offense look capable.

However, as far as production against top defenses or even top half defenses? Bevell has very pedestrian numbers. Production in KPIs for offense? Again, Bevell is pretty average to below average.

His offenses depend on top 5 defenses for those wins. Normalize the production against a standard defense and you will see he is NOWHERE NEAR the best OC the Seahawks ever had. Not even close.

Those wins were delivered, for the most part, by defenses that kept us in games. In the SB win year, those defenses resulted in a turnover every 4 opposing drives. Numbers like that make the other guys on the team look better than they were/are.

nash72

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":29i51l2u said:
W/L is not only a component of the offense.

In fact, for the most part, the greatest contributor to our W/L record is the success of the defense.

Our offense has been, for the most part, mediocre under Bevell. Check the #s for yourself. All offensive effectiveness numbers are in the bottom half of the league.

Talking sense will get you nowhere.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Not buying that Twisted.

First of all, the won-lost record IS all that counts. I don't know why you continuously forget the formula that Pete has devised that relies on offensive ball control with moderate risk plays and a defense that dominates. The premise is maintaining possession of the ball while safely tacking on enough points that our defense can defend. We've had the No. 1 scoring defense the last 4 years and finished second this year, right? So yielding that few of points makes it paramount that our offense plays turnover-free ball while maintaining solid field possession. Yes, we all obviously want to see touchdowns scored, but the 3 points associated with a field goal has gone longer toward securing a win for us than any other team around the league.

In this context, Bevell is the best fit to run this offense because he understands this philosophy completely. And it's this formula that has made the Hawks the winningest team in the NFC this decade and Bevell the most successful OC in all-time Seahawks history.

As far as Marshawn, we all know the supreme athlete he was. His yards after contact were amazing. But in who's offense did he thrive? His best career numbers came when he was running Bevell-designed plays.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":14fgbj7f said:
Won-lost wise he's the best OC in Seahawks history. So you get disappointed wins wins?

Lmao! You did not just credit Bevell with all of our wins! Oh my goodness, for as much as you tell others to look deeper than records... By this logic, we probably have some of the best equipment managers in Seahawks history. Holy man, Pete and Schneider field the best secondary of the modern era, and you try to credit Bevell with wins. Dude, you're credibility just went up in smoke.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Cyrus12":12uitbsz said:
doubt it...he woulda been gone after the 2nd sb appearance if anyone thought he was any good.

THIS.
x1000
There is a reason why Bevell is still here. And it's not due to the balmy weather.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":z6tr5u0r said:
WindCityHawk":z6tr5u0r said:
Siouxhawk":z6tr5u0r said:
RussB":z6tr5u0r said:
lol at some team interviewing bevell
grZAZ.gif
Yes, I'm happy he'll be Pete's heir apparent when he decides to step down.

There is absolutely no evidence that Bevell is in line to inherit this team. On the contrary, evidence suggests the players hate him.
The only evidence of players hating him is what you write with your keyboard on the interweb.
And it's just as plausible that he would be the heir apparent to Pete as anything else that's been offered up here. But if Cable were hired as a head man elsewhere, I think it is realistic that Bev becomes the Assistant Head Coach to go along with his other title.

That's actually not true. We have seen some strange stuff with players questioning Bevell. Love him or hate him its obvious at least some on the team aren't real thrilled with him. I get you love Bevell but let's be a little objective here. I've heard grumblings of some on the offensive side of the ball not being real thrilled with him either. I'm not a Bevell hater either. Definitely not a Bevell supporter but not a hater. It's really hard from the outside to get a good grasp of the situation. I do think we could do better from an OC standpoint if I was betting on it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
]
Siouxhawk":3bdxepsd said:
WindCityHawk":3bdxepsd said:
Siouxhawk":3bdxepsd said:
RussB":3bdxepsd said:
Yes, I'm happy he'll be Pete's heir apparent when he decides to step down.

There is absolutely no evidence that Bevell is in line to inherit this team. On the contrary, evidence suggests the players hate him.
The only evidence of players hating him is what you write with your keyboard on the interweb.
And it's just as plausible that he would be the heir apparent to Pete as anything else that's been offered up here. But if Cable were hired as a head man elsewhere, I think it is realistic that Bev becomes the Assistant Head Coach to go along with his other title.

That's actually not true. We have seen some strange stuff with players questioning Bevell. Love him or hate him its obvious at least some on the team aren't real thrilled with him. I get you love Bevell but let's be a little objective here. I've heard grumblings of some on the offensive side of the ball not being real thrilled with him either. I'm not a Bevell hater either. Definitely not a Bevell supporter but not a hater. It's really hard from the outside to get a good grasp of the situation. I do think we could do better from an OC standpoint if I was betting on it.
I saw Sherman grousing about not passing from the 1. What else you got?

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":19uxjdkz said:
Not buying that Twisted.

First of all, the won-lost record IS all that counts. I don't know why you continuously forget the formula that Pete has devised that relies on offensive ball control with moderate risk plays and a defense that dominates. The premise is maintaining possession of the ball while safely tacking on enough points that our defense can defend. We've had the No. 1 scoring defense the last 4 years and finished second this year, right? So yielding that few of points makes it paramount that our offense plays turnover-free ball while maintaining solid field possession. Yes, we all obviously want to see touchdowns scored, but the 3 points associated with a field goal has gone longer toward securing a win for us than any other team around the league.

In this context, Bevell is the best fit to run this offense because he understands this philosophy completely. And it's this formula that has made the Hawks the winningest team in the NFC this decade and Bevell the most successful OC in all-time Seahawks history.

As far as Marshawn, we all know the supreme athlete he was. His yards after contact were amazing. But in who's offense did he thrive? His best career numbers came when he was running Bevell-designed plays.

I can't believe people on the site let this go untouched. I just gave no words. None. Zip. Zero. I am laughing pretty f#%&^*$ hard though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":2q20idcg said:
Siouxhawk":2q20idcg said:
Not buying that Twisted.

I can't believe people on the site let this go untouched. I just gave no words. None. Zip. Zero. I am laughing pretty f#%&^*$ hard though.
He has more stamina than me, what can I say? 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
Sometimes you don't need to comment, the words will speak for themselves.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":35l06dwf said:
Won-lost wise he's the best OC in Seahawks history. So you get disappointed wins wins?
Because correlation and causation always go hand in hand. :roll:

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
RolandDeschain":2qsjbchu said:
Siouxhawk":2qsjbchu said:
Because correlation and causation always go hand in hand. :roll:

We should have kept Harvin and Tate. Every time they've disrupted the locker room and caused hate and discontent among the players, we've won the Super Bowl! Woohoo! 8)