A 70 year old coach agreed to go through a full rebuild??

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Admit it guys...going through a rebuild at Petes age doesnt make sense nor do i think hed agree to it.

As much as some of you wont admit it.. the only way to avoid a rebuild is to get someone close to (or better than) Russ. The only guy who fits that bill is, you guessed it, Deshaun Watson. All signs, especially with the rumors circulating, point to him.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":36exgf7y said:
Admit it guys...going through a rebuild at Petes age doesnt make sense nor do i think hed agree to it.

As much as some of you wont admit it.. the only way to avoid a rebuild is to get someone close to (or better than) Russ. The only guy who fits that bill is, you guessed it, Deshaun Watson. All signs, especially with the rumors circulating, point to him.

I'm not so sure. I think there's a lot of things going on behind the Seahawks' curtain that we don't know about and won't know about until it's done. I don't think we're going with a full rebuild though, yet I don't think we'd be able to afford the draft picks to get Watson and be stuck in pretty much the same cap frustrations we were in with Russ.

I think we're in for at least a few more surprises though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not a full rebuild, but def. a couple years away from the playoffs imo. Unless they get a good QB under center and build in the trenches.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1qylkshf said:

How can this be their Plan A that put them in the position where they felt comfortable pulling the trigger on the Wilson trade when there's so much uncertainty with Watson's playing status and legal issues?

James in PA

Reaction score
I bet they do have something up their sleeve. If it's not Watson, there are probably at least two quarterbacks in this draft that they love & are confident they can land one of them at 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smellyman

Reaction score
James in PA":16t22dmz said:
I bet they do have something up their sleeve. If it's not Watson, there are probably at least two quarterbacks in this draft that they love & are confident they can land one of them at 9.

Not at 9!

James in PA

Reaction score
Smellyman":2w7wh4dr said:
James in PA":2w7wh4dr said:

Not at 9!
I know there are other needs, but do you pass on a guy like Willis -- a much cheaper / younger / faster version of RW?

Smellyman

Reaction score
James in PA":3bg1gw10 said:
Smellyman":3bg1gw10 said:
James in PA":3bg1gw10 said:

Not at 9!
I know there are other needs, but do you pass on a guy like Willis -- a much cheaper / younger / faster version of RW?

him skipping the 40 makes me question what he'd run, but who knows. I think they need to go with the sure thing at 9 and not a wild card QB. But what do I know.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
James in PA":2e3k77nc said:
Smellyman":2e3k77nc said:
James in PA":2e3k77nc said:

Not at 9!

You forgot taller.

Rat

Reaction score
It's not really even a given we are going through a rebuild. He may just have another plan at QB (please not Watson please not Watson), and we have some cap space now to do a few things. Releasing Wags was probably going to happen no matter what we did with Russ.

Smellyman

Reaction score
JustTheTip":x02ji703 said:
James in PA":x02ji703 said:
Smellyman":x02ji703 said:
James in PA":x02ji703 said:

Not at 9!

You forgot taller.

Although only by an inch and a half. he is still a 'short' QB

nanomoz

Reaction score
Call it a rebuild, retool, whatever.

This team isn't very good. That's the bottom line. Someone probably made Carrol realize it.

It needs an infusion of young, hungry talent all over the roster. Especially on defense.

beaumaris

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1ngpbxsu said:

I’m 76 and I’m still rebuilding. :irishdrinkers:

Rat

Reaction score
Shelby Harris isnt really the kind of piece you insist on getting if your plan is a full rebuild. Pete and John might just think they can win with a different QB and some better pieces. Free agency should tell us a lot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete's age has nothing to do with a rebuild.

This isn't the 70's, teams can be rebuilt in 1-2 years. We did it, the Patriots just did it, Bucs, Rams when they hired McVay, Cardinals, Bengals, etc.

Lots of examples.

Now do we trust Pete and John to do it? That's another question. But Pete's age is a non factor, his competence is.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete is secure in his position because he has an owner that does not care.
(They likely care about results but don't really care about winning)

The Seahawks are probably sending executives to meet with Mariner execs in order to put a plan in place to keep butts in seats while the team is losing. Don't be shocked if you see a Seahawk equivalent of the 'Dancing Groundskeepers'.

Part of this was likely unavoidable. Wilson wants to win. He doesn't think he can do that here. Carroll doesn't want to admit he cannot be a winning coach anymore and that our roster is somewhere between substandard and bang average.

And winning teams turn into losing teams. That is how the NFL works. We won for 10ish years (sort of) and now we get to lose for 5+.

But generally owners that care lead to coaches that deliver which leads to teams that win.

If you have an owner that isn't focused on winning, they won't demand the right things from the HC & GM, and they likely won't make the investments needed to turn the team into a winner. The organization has to be focused on delivering wins and producing playoff success, from the top down.

Expecting us to outproduce other teams that are aligned and focused on the above, with better rosters, is a bit much.

We won't be able to rebuild in that atmosphere, and not with a coach that is likely experiencing diminishing capabilities because of his advancing age.

Hyak

Reaction score
As much as I have my doubts about Drew Lock, there potentially is something there to work with. He's got a good arm, size, and mobility. Secondly, in his one year as the main starter, Lock was among the best in the NFL on play action - 120 passer rating with 7 TD and 0 INT and 8.4 YPA. Very similar to what Wilson's numbers were on PA in the same year. Problem was Denver ran play action 20% of the time (26th in the league that year). In Waldron's offense, it's something to watch as the Rams/SF scheme runs play action passes at a high rate league wise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2gdsxczi said:
Pete is secure in his position because he has an owner that does not care.
(They likely care about results but don't really care about winning).

I don't know how you can say this after what's transpired this off season.

Pete was obviously told that what he's been doing isn't working, thus the new coaching firing and hiring and trading away of the franchise QB.

Not caring is allowing your coach and GM to keep everything status quo. As you can see, this off season has been anything but status quo, and it's only just begun.

Rat

Reaction score
JTB":1n3x028t said:
As much as I have my doubts about Drew Lock, there potentially is something there to work with. He's got a good arm, size, and mobility. Secondly, in his one year as the main starter, Lock was among the best in the NFL on play action - 120 passer rating with 7 TD and 0 INT and 8.4 YPA. Very similar to what Wilson's numbers were on PA in the same year. Problem was Denver ran play action 20% of the time (26th in the league that year). In Waldron's offense, it's something to watch as the Rams/SF scheme runs play action passes at a high rate league wise.

I'm content with Lock as long as we aren't depending on him. He couldn't be any worse than Geno, and at least with him there is some tools and upside. Plus, the Broncos have been horrific developing QBs since Elway. Who's the best home-grown QB they've had in those 20+ years? Trevor Siemian? Tebow? Hell, the guy they took AHEAD of Russ has been retired for years and was once traded WITH a 2nd rounder just to get rid of his contract. That pick turned into Nick Chubb.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is certainly one way of interpreting these moves Largent.

Here is the other:

Wilson was pushing against Carroll's authority, tuning him out, and breaking the 'respect the Team' rule. I don't think Carroll was forced by ownership to get rid of Wilson, I think he made the decision to do so and in his hubris, believes he can replace him (or worse ..win without him).

Coaches remove coaches below them to place blame and buy time. New coaches give a built in excuse for not producing. And cutting assistant coaches reinforces who is in power. He MIGHT have been forced to get rid of his assistant coaches, I am on the fence - but he might have made that move to deflect blame too.

I am sure our owners care in terms of results, since that affects merch sales and attendance/ticket sales. Not sure our owners are invested in winning like some owners are, and our owner was.

We will see. The moves made this coming season will define whether we are trying to win, or trying to tread water.

But I don't think you can just take the firing of coaches and trading of Wilson as a sign this ownership gave Pete marching orders. And Im not sure this is not just Pete feathering his nest to preserve what he believes is his.