A 70 year old coach agreed to go through a full rebuild??

Rat

Reaction score
fire_marshall_bill":2xikfsxg said:
DeShaun Watson?

All the Seattle woke types who eat soy and have green hair will go crazy

Yeah, because those are the only types who wouldn't be overjoyed to be associated with a serial sexual predator.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
They said that about Ben too.

People still bought tickets, cheered him on, and bought the jerseys.

You think Seattle is going to be that different?

The jury is still out on whether he is even some sort of predator. A lot of those girls were advertising on 'adult' massage websites. It is possible this is an attempt at a payday, or even just miscommunication where he thinks he is getting a 'massage' and it turns out he is just getting a massage.

If this does not result in jail time, or at least jail time preventing play in the season - then he is playing somewhere. Might as well be here.

I would be stoked to get Watson. It is one of the few pathways out of the darkness for us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":gt1j72e8 said:
That is certainly one way of interpreting these moves Largent.

Here is the other:

Wilson was pushing against Carroll's authority, tuning him out, and breaking the 'respect the Team' rule. I don't think Carroll was forced by ownership to get rid of Wilson, I think he made the decision to do so and in his hubris, believes he can replace him (or worse ..win without him).

Coaches remove coaches below them to place blame and buy time. New coaches give a built in excuse for not producing. And cutting assistant coaches reinforces who is in power. He MIGHT have been forced to get rid of his assistant coaches, I am on the fence - but he might have made that move to deflect blame too.

I am sure our owners care in terms of results, since that affects merch sales and attendance/ticket sales. Not sure our owners are invested in winning like some owners are, and our owner was.

We will see. The moves made this coming season will define whether we are trying to win, or trying to tread water.

But I don't think you can just take the firing of coaches and trading of Wilson as a sign this ownership gave Pete marching orders. And Im not sure this is not just Pete feathering his nest to preserve what he believes is his.

You said ownership doesn't care, and I said what we're seeing now IMO does show that ownership cares.

I HIGHLY doubt Pete loves to fire and hire coaches, or give up the security blanket of his franchise QB who has frankly saved his ass for a solid decade from probably being fired sooner.

Does Jody Allen know what she's doing? That's certainly debatable. But from all sources inside and outside the team, here and in the Trailblazers organization (who has also gone through coaching changes), the exact opposite of what you're saying is true.

She's very involved from everything I've read and heard......and what we're seeing now is a testament to that. Again, Pete doesn't do what we're doing if the Hawk's brass didn't sit him down and discuss what he needs to do to improve the team, and coaching staff.

Atradees

Reaction score
You may not be an NBA fan; I am. Blazers started rebuilding this year as well. So I would say Jody had something to do with making some changes.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree that this wouldn't have been Pete's plan A. There's an Athletic article discussing severe issues between Mark Rodgers and John Schneider and that likely forced their hands along with Russ thinking there were greener pastures elsewhere.

My main worry is that they aren't going to do the full 1 year rebuild that they really need. I'm not advocating that we intentionally try to lose games. What we should do is draft and play a ton of youth while clearing as much dead cap as possible and securing more draft capital. Then they can be aggressive again in 2023 with a much stronger starting position.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
AgentDib":231oim4v said:
What we should do is draft and play a ton of youth while clearing as much dead cap as possible and securing more draft capital. Then they can be aggressive again in 2023 with a much stronger starting position.

I agree 100% with this. Draft a couple positions that might need a year or two to flourish and begin the process now while we don't have a QB that we're pushing all our chips in. My bet is that they'll trade down to mid-lower teens and pick up Bernhard Raimann with their first pick.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2e19j9qf said:
Pete's age has nothing to do with a rebuild.

This isn't the 70's, teams can be rebuilt in 1-2 years. We did it, the Patriots just did it, Bucs, Rams when they hired McVay, Cardinals, Bengals, etc.

Lots of examples.

Now do we trust Pete and John to do it? That's another question. But Pete's age is a non factor, his competence is.

I think we're all in for a few surprises coming our way.
I'm seeing Pete not only "Reloading" with a few players, but a couple new Coaches as well as some new Coaching concepts in the boot.
I'm thinking that part of his discussions with Jody Allen were all about setting the stage for his replacements to be taking over in a couple years or so.

keasley45

Reaction score
It's also not a rebuild.

I think they felt they were stuck at qb and I don't disagree. We could win in spectacular fashion with Russ but not in a reliable, or predictable way. The way Russ played, he became our offense. It basically negated the value of an OC.

So from their perspective they removed the piece keeping us from growing the way the team was designed to with all of its new players and new philosophy on offense and defense.

We didn't fail last year because of lack of talent. We were off track schematically for much of the season on offense and defense.

We have the players to succeed. We just need Pete and John to get us a solid qb.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Like Greg Olsen said, the schemes were simplistic and when they werent working Pete would tell Russ to go win it for them in the 4th. Lets see how the next QB fares trying to do that.

keasley45

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":uy4gityn said:
Like Greg Olsen said, the schemes were simplistic and when they werent working Pete would tell Russ to go win it for them in the 4th. Lets see how the next QB fares trying to do that.

Or like DK said - The only reason the passing game got on track late last season was because we ran the ball to beat the 2 high look. Couldn't pass to do it.

Simple is what Russ could do.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":nkqmm2j3 said:
Admit it guys...going through a rebuild at Petes age doesnt make sense nor do i think hed agree to it.

Yeah, stop right there and you'll get some agreement. And not sugar coated...
We are now witnessing Pete Carroll going through his Tom Coughlin/NY Giants phase of his career.

Prediction: There will likely be 3 more years of losing seasons and not a sniff at playoffs as Pete stubbornly digs his heels in, before the inevitable mutually agreed-upon retirement announcement.

Then then painful rebuild can start.

Just seems that they got rid of the wrong guy that was responsible for this slow slide to mediocrity.

nwHawk

Reaction score
When Carroll decided to move on from Percy Harvin he did so. Russ has always been different. Pete has always guarded Wilson like his own son, which is why this took so long to drag out. Pete still wants to coach and believes he can win. Russ looked like a guy that somewhat quit emotionally, or at least didn’t give it 100% all of the time. I won’t be surprised if the Hawks win more than 8 games next year.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Palmegranite":2h3z3jid said:
therealjohncarlson":2h3z3jid said:
Admit it guys...going through a rebuild at Petes age doesnt make sense nor do i think hed agree to it.

Yeah, stop right there and you'll get some agreement. And not sugar coated...
We are now witnessing Pete Carroll going through his Tom Coughlin/NY Giants phase of his career.

Prediction: There will likely be 3 more years of losing seasons and not a sniff at playoffs as Pete stubbornly digs his heels in, before the inevitable mutually agreed-upon retirement announcement.

Then then painful rebuild can start.

Just seems that they got rid of the wrong guy that was responsible for this slow slide to mediocrity.

I made exactly the same comparison and nearly the same prediction before last season. I said 3 losing seasons and Pete/ownership will finally agree for him step down, so 2 more years, anyway.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
keasley45":3m17uwdm said:
pittpnthrs":3m17uwdm said:

Or like DK said - The only reason the passing game got on track late last season was because we ran the ball to beat the 2 high look. Couldn't pass to do it.

Russ has been willing the team to wins for years without a decent running game. Simple my butt. You got your wish, Russ is gone. We'll see how it works out for you.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
The only thing that makes sense is they went to the combines & left absolutely enamored with Malik Willis & think he's ready like RW was & are sure he will be there for them @ 9.

Elemas

Reaction score
In a “normal” draft, Malik Willis isn’t even being mentioned before the third. If we spend #9 to pick this dude up, I will have lost all faith in PC and JS. I’m already 90% there…this would be the nail in the coffin.

Stay away from Watson. Everyone complained about RW’s chunk of the cap. If Watson is smart, he’ll avoid a PC offense like the plague.

Where’s the non-stop need a game manager, Geno - Tannehill - Mariota enthusiasm now? I simply don’t understand you RW pundits who, for several years, were non-stop about his salary, his height, his wife…his perception in the media.

Yet…some of those very same people are now foaming at the mouth for Watson and/or saying we should take Willis? I don’t know how this kids going to pan out but it seems pretty damn crazy to even think about taking a QB in the draft this year. He’s barely taller than Russ. Silly argument but sheeshuuuuus if this wasn’t a continuous hot topic on this board. Conference USA? Ok

And $34M a year Watson?

Sure….

IndyHawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":clw10prc said:
keasley45":clw10prc said:
pittpnthrs":clw10prc said:

Russ has been willing the team to wins for years without a decent running game. Simple my butt. You got your wish, Russ is gone. We'll see how it works out for you.
He got many wins from a running game wth you saying?
When Russ could run it was also part of said running game,
it helped cover his limited passing IQ besides the deep ball
and sandlot off script passes.
The playbook was JV for a reason..Pete knew long before any
of us did and he protected Russ from himself.