A Public Apology to Kam Chancellor

soje

Reaction score
I think, for most of us, the careers we take in life are our own choices. Nobody's putting a gun to Kam's head and forcing him to play in the NFL. The same with you, me, and the rest of us.

I don't blame him for holding out. Everybody has to look out for their own interests, just like I wouldn't blame the Seahawks for cutting a beloved player to make room under the salary cap.

This is a business for everybody. Except for us, the fans.

Rob12":32vwg3jm said:
theENGLISHseahawk":32vwg3jm said:
Sign37now":32vwg3jm said:
Poppycock. Rob, it sounds like you are either in law enforcement or a hose dragger. So I hear ya when you talk about leaving the house and not being sure you will return. However, Kam is due to make over 4 million dollars this year. At my current rate of pay it would take me 57 years to earn that amount of money. Kam is not required to wear a bullet proof vest to work every day, I am.

If you gave me 4 million dollars right now I can guarantee I would never have to work another day of my life and I would live very comfortably. Who's fault is it that many of these guys can't manage their money and make it last a lifetime? He should easily be able to play out this contract and never paly again with he and all of his descendants being set for life. 4+ million for this year not enough..BS.

Nailed it.

Kam has lost his grip on reality. Sorry, but he has. He's lost perspective on the fans who equally put their bodies and lives on the line every day without the millions of dollars of compensation. Even those who don't -- to say he 'forgives' the ones who simply work their arses off for a humble salary and use the Seahawks as a release from the mundanity of life is elite-level arrogance.

He isn't the only person in the world getting less money than they deserve. Most can't do jack **** about it. Most can't afford to hold out for a month, throw away cheques and pay fines worth nearly $2m.

He shouldn't be saying he forgives anyone. He should be saying he understands the frustration of some fans even if they don't know the whole story (and why would they?) and he hopes to win back their trust on the field.

He didn't say that. He came out a load of tosh about God forgives everyone (apart from all the genocide in the Bible, but I digress...) so why shouldn't he.

It's no wonder he held out this long. His head is in the clouds.

Kam possesses skills that 99.9 of the population do not have. He makes millions because he provides an elite set of skills in a profession that demands it. And it results in a product that makes billions and billions of dollars every single year.

I get the money argument on a simplistic level, but it's not that simple. You have to know this? These athletes do put their health on the line, but they have also spent nearly all of their lives honing their skills, and living in such a way in regards to nutrition, fitness, and commitment that most people are not willing to do. That, along with natural talent, gets them to where they are. They put in the work that a vast majority of the people on this earth don't.

He can say what he wants. It's a free country. Of course there are repercussions to his words, because get pissed off. But I don't know if I could keep my cool if I had people spewing venom each and every day, all because I was doing something that was in my best interest (as ill conceived as it may be).

HawkEye

Reaction score
kearly":1dw03b2m said:
Kam already has several million in the bank. He's already qualified for the NFL's lifetime health coverage. He's could retire today and be set for life. This was never about him fighting for his future. It was about greed, pure and simple.

Pete thinks Kam is going to be here a long time, and I'd bet Kam thinks that way too. How old was Lawyer Milloy when he retired? I think that Kam hopes to have similar longevity, and even if he doesn't, he's only 27 today. At no point in this entire ordeal did Kam ever threaten retirement, and all of his official statements to the media indicated that he's healthier than ever. And Kam has been a very healthy player so far in his career.

Kam is going to make mountains of money by the time he retires, he just wishes he had made a little more on that first big contract.

I think this holdout was dumb as hell, and I think Kam said and did some regrettable things during the process of it. I honestly don't care if health was or was not a factor in it, it was a poor series of decisions by Kam either way. That said, I interpreted his actions as 'business' related and not personal, so I don't think an apology is something that's needed. I'm sure he's saying stuff to teammates behind closed doors to smooth things over, and that's all he really needs to do.

That he 'forgave' fans that mistreated him on twitter isn't as condescending as it sounds, it's likely he got nasty messages by the truckload.

This.

This was an episode of Greed and Dumbness, and We have every right to express our opinions without apologizing.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kearly":wom8y4ia said:
Kam already has several million in the bank. He's already qualified for the NFL's lifetime health coverage. He's could retire today and be set for life. This was never about him fighting for his future. It was about greed, pure and simple.

Pete thinks Kam is going to be here a long time, and I'd bet Kam thinks that way too. How old was Lawyer Milloy when he retired? I think that Kam hopes to have similar longevity, and even if he doesn't, he's only 27 today. At no point in this entire ordeal did Kam ever threaten retirement, and all of his official statements to the media indicated that he's healthier than ever. And Kam has been a very healthy player so far in his career.

Kam is going to make mountains of money by the time he retires, he just wishes he had made a little more on that first big contract.

I think this holdout was dumb as hell, and I think Kam said and did some regrettable things during the process of it. I honestly don't care if health was or was not a factor in it, it was a poor series of decisions by Kam either way. That said, I interpreted his actions as 'business' related and not personal, so I don't think an apology is something that's needed. I'm sure he's saying stuff to teammates behind closed doors to smooth things over, and that's all he really needs to do.

That he 'forgave' fans that mistreated him on twitter isn't as condescending as it sounds, it's likely he got nasty messages by the truckload.
This! and I want to add to those who thought he was hurt blah blah.So it's ok to ask for all this money ahead of earning it so you can then say "I'm hurt" and go to IR? I believe this scenerio was one the Hawks saw happening.I'm not apologizing for shit after what he pulled.I'm glad he is back and appears good to go but I'm done opening anymore Kam threads.I think some have been smoking good Seattle weed seriously but yeah I understand if thats the case.GO HAWKS!!!

chris98251

Reaction score
Depending on where you live 1 million dollars in the Seattle are equates to about 50,000 over 20 years, now add the additional medical expense that someone that gave up their body like Kam does and knee replacement or other things and money flies out the window. If your lucky and get out of the game with few injuries maybe you can commentary, or like many have open a restaurant or a car dealership.

Kam has been hurt every year, I am sure he is looking at his longevity and how his body has been responding, the biggest mistake is his belief in his value and importance and how that weighed against Johns and Pete's view. Something many people make in their careers.

How many people have went and asked for a raise and been told no and quit shortly after or on the spot because they felt insulted by their bosses opinion of them.

Many probably in their mid to early 20's with high opinions of themselves and not looking at what everyone else around them contributes that helped make them look so strong.

irocdave

Reaction score
Sign37now":sfv42nmt said:
Poppycock. Rob, it sounds like you are either in law enforcement or a hose dragger. So I hear ya when you talk about leaving the house and not being sure you will return. However, Kam is due to make over 4 million dollars this year. At my current rate of pay it would take me 57 years to earn that amount of money. Kam is not required to wear a bullet proof vest to work every day, I am.

If you gave me 4 million dollars right now I can guarantee I would never have to work another day of my life and I would live very comfortably. Who's fault is it that many of these guys can't manage their money and make it last a lifetime? He should easily be able to play out this contract and never paly again with he and all of his descendants being set for life. 4+ million for this year not enough..BS.

So, lets take this a couple of steps further. How many years would you keep rolling the dice? If your wearing a bullet proof vest, your in some form of law enforcement. You can roll the dice for as long as you want, 10, 20 30 years. The choice is yours as long as your good at your job and don't make any huge mistakes. Kam cant. He has already had hip surgery and I really wonder if this isn't what was driving him to try and cash in earlier. His window to capitalize his NFL money is about 3 years from today. When he is to slow, to injured or falls out of favor with the coach or GM, he's done. It isn't his call.

I don't agree with what Kam did, but I understand it. BTW, he layed the groundwork for another hold out next year so this story hasn't run it's course yet. The Hawks now know he is serious about getting paid more. You watch, if he plays well this year his deal will get renegotiated next year or he will hold out again.

OrFan

Reaction score
One million is about $50,000 a year forever without ever touching the principal, and that is being very conservative. 4 million would be easily $200,000 per year forever and still always have the 4 million.

irocdave

Reaction score
Bitter":2t0k69mv said:
Uncle Si":2t0k69mv said:
Was he trying to "bilk" more money, or just move money he was going to make further up in his contract? And if that is the case, think about why. I think Rob's post hits on the central theme of Kam's holdout, atleast in my speculation. There is a significant health risk to playing this game, and perhaps Kam's health is in great question at this time. He is trying to protect that money 3 years from now because perhaps he sees a significant chance he won't be around to earn it.

Kam's process was flawed. But I appreciate Rob's post bringing more light to the circumstances that surround the financial decisions football players make.

I can all but guarantee he would get to the last year that money was moved out of and and say "You can't expect me to play for 1 million dollars that is an insult." So I think bilk is the proper word.

Trying to understand where your coming from so I have to ask a couple of questions. Do you spend most of your time on your feet at work? 8 - 12 hours a day walking, 5-7 days a week, climbing stairs or ladders etc? How many years doing this? How many concussions have you had in your life time? Every play football in HS or college?

From this response I'm guessing you would answer no to every question.

I am 45 years old and spent 20+ years working commercial construction. My right elbow is shot, had both knees scoped in my 30's, had back surgery in my mid 30's and every joint hurts in the morning now. Also played HS football in CA at big school, had several concussion, had a really bad one at work that left me loopy for a month.

I get where Kam is coming from. Right now he has no intention to play out the last year of his deal, he wont be able to because he will be to slow or injured and he knows it. The Hawks will cut his ass when that happens so moving up any guarantied money and trying to increase what he gets is the reason he held out. He will hold out again next year to try and do the same thing. I wont blame him then either.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't have to apologize because I never lost my shit and posted mean things on his twitter, instgram, or even here. I can't even fathom why anyone would.

Doesn't mean that when the Hawks miss winning some prize, playoffs, division winner, or homefield advantage of any kind by a single game, I won't hold a single player, Kam, accountable for that. And it won't be an emotional decision, I am convinced that with Kam we beat the Rams, at the minimum. If that one game is the difference at the end of the year, that is on Kam.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
No apologies here. Kam signed a contract that made him one of the highest paid players at his possitions and he took up front money and bonuses for doing so. It's true that the pain you talk about is surely in his future but that is also why he is paid at the level he is. Now I don't blame him for asking. There is nothing wrong with that. Holding out though hurt the team and its okay to be upset about it. There is all kinds of pain and risk in this world. Kam is already paid handsomely for his. So while I am happy that he is back I don't feel like he is owed apologies.

Kennewick_Man

Reaction score
brimsalabim":dpai8dnr said:
No apologies here. Kam signed a contract that made him one of the highest paid players at his possitions and he took up front money and bonuses for doing so. It's true that the pain you talk about is surely in his future but that is also why he is paid at the level he is. Now I don't blame him for asking. There is nothing wrong with that. Holding out though hurt the team and its okay to be upset about it. There is all kinds of pain and risk in this world. Kam is already paid handsomely for his. So while I am happy that he is back I don't feel like he is owed apologies.

THIS. I am relieved he's back, but I cannot help but resent his behavior and my opinion of him has changed as a result. I hope your 7 week pout-fest was worth hanging your "Teammates" and "Brothers" out to dry. Jesus H. Christ, talk about first world problems.

Sealake80

Reaction score
Complaining about a sports hero on .net is a first world problem. Just saying.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2zuf0pr6 said:
I don't have to apologize because I never lost my shit and posted mean things on his twitter, instgram, or even here. I can't even fathom why anyone would.

Doesn't mean that when the Hawks miss winning some prize, playoffs, division winner, or homefield advantage of any kind by a single game, I won't hold a single player, Kam, accountable for that. And it won't be an emotional decision, I am convinced that with Kam we beat the Rams, at the minimum. If that one game is the difference at the end of the year, that is on Kam.
Sums how I feel about the whole thing perfectly. And I posted very little on it here, don't do Twitter or Instagram.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2cm826od said:

YES.

The op and others conveniently have forgotten that he was paid more than handsomely, in fact likely OVERPAID just a handful of months ago.

Now he wants more?

Dont we all.

Ask all you want. But then when the answer is a predictable and reasonable no, get your butt back on the field and get to work.

Kam was fine taking a deal at the time that he hadnt earned yet. Now he wants his cake too.

So glad JS was the man here and told him to take a flying hike.

Kennewick_Man

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2t10co37 said:
brimsalabim":2t10co37 said:

YES.

The op and others conveniently have forgotten that he was paid more than handsomely, in fact likely OVERPAID just a handful of months ago.

Now he wants more?

Dont we all.

Ask all you want. But then when the answer is a predictable and reasonable no, get your butt back on the field and get to work.

Kam was fine taking a deal at the time that he hadnt earned yet. Now he wants his cake too.

So glad JS was the man here and told him to take a flying hike.

Absolutely agree. Pay Bennett tomorrow and make Kam play out his contract.

jonkchar

Reaction score
Really cool man, its nice to a see "human" perspective at it. I know at times I'm not sure how to feel cheering guys on who are in such a physically demanding environment

BlueTalon

Reaction score
irocdave":31gz4wp8 said:
BTW, he layed the groundwork for another hold out next year so this story hasn't run it's course yet. The Hawks now know he is serious about getting paid more. You watch, if he plays well this year his deal will get renegotiated next year or he will hold out again.
irocdave":31gz4wp8 said:
He will hold out again next year to try and do the same thing. I wont blame him then either.
Where do you get this idea from? You think Kam is in a big hurry to lose another couple of million? His position isn't going to be any stronger next year than it is now. He might get the front office to renegotiate, but the quickest way to kill that possibility is to hold out again.

drdiags

Reaction score
Hats off to the OP for posting his thoughts on what drove some of his discussions on the Chancellor hold-out.

I don't know enough of the back story to make an informed decision on why things got to the point they did. If any of the rumors are correct about the team initially giving signals they were willing to move things around, only to get cold feet and the supposed remarks from John Schneider, I could see cutting off my nose to spite my face.

As a young man, yeah I could see being stubborn if I felt someone was treating me like I was their property and that I had no options.

I didn't and don't agree with Kam's holdout but something is amiss here in my mind. Others may say greed, plain and simple. I cannot counter that argument. I am just not willing to go beyond being disappointed that it came to that. If the team couldn't put a safety out there that cannot keep his feet in the final 40 secs of a game, 37 yards from pay dirt, not going to blame my missing Probowl safety.

drdiags

Reaction score
Shawn Kemp's ego couldn't handle Jim McIlvane making more money then him, forcing the Sonics to send him packing for Vin Baker(?). Easley want $1 dollar more that Ronnie Lott was making.

Folks are always looking for that one athlete that really would just play for the love of the game. That athlete does not exist.