A lengthy introduction. Ahem.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
I was born and raised in Wheaton, Illinois, a city 25 miles due West of Chicago. I was six years old when the 1985 NFL season started.

It was at that point that I made the boldest decision I've made then or since: I became a Seattle Seahawks fan.

I'll explain as much as I can regarding my mindset at the time: I collected football cards, and although I didn't know an NT from a ROLB, I pored over what minutiæ I could understand: the Seahawks had an undeniably cool mascot, logo and colors, and they appeared to hail from a city that only ostensibly existed. Although they were clearly an underdog team, they boasted several Topps All-Pros, whatever that meant. My juvenile mind, all precocious and contrarian at the time, boggled at this team's spectacle on cardboard. At the time, I didn't know that there were rules about these things; a man must follow his hometown team, lest he be called a deserter or deviant. And it was 1985. Near Chicago. Near Ditka and Walter and The Fridge.

What was I thinking?

Suffice it all to say that my father's determined lack of interest in the Bears' success led me to understand that I was free to choose my own team. And so, I did.

My father was a Landry man, and you couldn't blame him for that; any kid growing up as a Theologian's son in Tonkawa, Oklahoma would have been. My father's Big Games were not Chicago/Green Bay or Chicago/Detroit - they were Dallas/New York or Dallas/Washington. Dashing Danny White, and not the punk Jim McMahon, was his QB. And as temperance was his guide, my father was not a fan of the Bears' brash behavior. Even today, a team recording and releasing a song called The Super Bowl Shuffle in October (still shocking to me) would be seen as more than just tempting fate, and they probably wouldn't become beloved worldwide for it. Dad wasn't alone in his beliefs; at least one local preacher used the Bears to illustrate Pride coming before a Fall. At the end of the day, no force holy or unholy could have stopped the Bears from Lombardi's Trophy that year.

But I wasn't even seven yet. For all I knew at the time, the 1985 Bears were the 1984 Bears were the 1986 Bears. I had no real frame of reference on reasonable NFL hype levels at that point. Hell, I barely knew what the Super Bowl was.

After a few years of following Seattle literally via the backs of football cards and the stray Sports section at the local library - there was no other game in town, there were no other Seahawk fans around, and we didn't have a "sinful" cable box - I received a life-changing gift at the age of nine: a subscription to The Sporting News. The weekly tabloid-formatted magazine proffered box scores, a weekly update for all 28 teams, and the occasional in-depth feature on guys like Kenny Easley or Curt Warner. It was certainly pithier than the George Michael Sports Machine, and it was a lot of information to be received in a part of the country where getting a mere Seahawks tee shirt was a near impossibility.

As I came to know more about the game itself, I became a stronger Seahawks fan in the process. I've had to be. I've been there through Krieg-to-Largent and Hasselbeck-to-Engram, but also 2-14, 4-12, and the McGwire/Stouffer/Kemp/Gelbaugh Era. I was jumping up and down for the 2005 NFC Championship game and soaked in Alexander's special season, but I remember when a Jet helmet was a football, when Anthony Wright suddenly became god, and when Kitna collapsed versus TB. I cheered for for Walter Jones and Tez Rex, but also had to live down Hass's OT call in GB, Boz/Bo, and simply, XL. I've been pelted with snack food and unprintable insults when Seattle came to Soldier Field. As an adult, I even had to teach workplace Bears fans better Seahawks insults because "Sea Chickens" is lazy and just makes no damn sense.

So the number 12 means something to me, especially in the Windy City.

I've been following .Net for years as a lurker, and I suppose that now is as good a time as any to sign up and be counted amongst the 12s here. It's still a bit absurd to me that my team - a team that essentially no one else within hundreds of miles followed - would at some point be noticeably cheered-on by people across the country. It's akin to a man stranded on an island crossing over a ridge and finding thousands of people just like himself.

Thanks for reading this far. I'm Chicago at heart; for all its faults, I love my city. But I am still a Seattle Seahawks fan.

TL;DR: 25 miles due East of Wheaton, 137.6 decibels in my heart.

- Our Man In Chicago

-The Glove-

Reaction score
2F0xLf3

Best introduction I've ever read. Welcome to the forum man.

VB Hawk

Reaction score
As a seahawks fan since 1983....and a lurker to this fan board since 1999 (thanks Aros)....I can relate to all the struggles of being a Seahawks fan in foreign territory.

Welcome :th2thumbs:

Throwdown

Reaction score
This is the best intro I've ever read! Dont you go disappearing and going back into the shadows to lurk now, ya hear?

Hawkman80

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. :) Yeah, I can totally see where you are coming from. Although I was a Seahawk fan during the time you mentioned, I kept hearing about "'Da Bears" (didn't know about the pronunciation joke then though ;)) and 'The 'Fridge.' I even remember the Honda Scooter Jim McMahon did (for those who are curious - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpa0lYgSWh0). Anyway, back then I was in middle school and played flag football, and my friends and teammates nicknamed me, "Icebox" because I was large then, but I played on the O-Line. :D

silverss

Reaction score
Welcome! Great intro.

There are a few 'foreigners' around that have been Hawks fans for years...stay proud and true.
I remember my girlfriend in the late 80's buying me a $90 Starter Seahawks sweater. Oh the joy as it was so obscure.

This is finally all of 'our' year. Enjoy the ride and thx for sharing your story.
(& Chicago is a great city!)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Very Well done my friend. You did what we spoke of and surpassed any other introduction I ever read. As they have said, post when you feel like you have a point and be happy you have crossed that threshhold from over the hill and thru the woods to Seahawkville. Stop at Grandmas on the way, but remember we are going to the Superbowl this year. LOL
Fan80

birdman5

Reaction score
If you aren't a writer, you should be. Great to have you!

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":3emele0t said:
I even had to teach workplace Bears fans better Seahawks insults because "Sea Chickens" is lazy and just makes no damn sense.

Beautiful.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Welcome to .Net
I can relate to much of what you said.
Although I grew up in Wa. I moved to Texas in "87" and Texas has some rabid football fans as well. Not many of them pull for the Seahawks as you can imagine.
My guess is that you will quickly become part of the family around here.
GoHawks

sutz

Reaction score
Well written. While I was born and raised in King County, WA, I spent most of my adult life in So California. I remember the days of searching the local newspaper for the one or two paragraph recap of the Seahawks games. Pre-internet, it was really hard to follow the 'Hawks from a distance. Welcome to the fold.

:2:

rastahawk

Reaction score
Cool story

I read that in the style of "Dr Evil" during the therapy session scene :lol:

The Radish

Reaction score
I know I said this earlier in our conversations but let again say,,,

WELCOME TO SEAHAWKS.NET!

Good to have you aboard.

:th2thumbs:

drdiags

Reaction score
I was born and raised in Chicago as well. Joined the military in 1974 and relocated to Tacoma at the time after I got out. I miss being close to my family but being away for 40 years, it is just a memory growing up in the Midwest.

Welcome aboard from lurking to active participant. Stay warm, that cold snap in the Midwest is brutal.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Welcome! Glad to have you here. As a fan living in Raider and 49ers country all my life, I can share some of your experiences. This season has been quite a ride, so now is a great time to join in some of the discussion on here!

HawkStar3

Reaction score
This made me smile.
I live out in NFC North country myself, up here in Wisconsin. I have met one other Hawk fan since I have lived here. He relocated from the PNW a few years back..

I hear all these stories of 12 flags and more fans.. I hope to meet some soon!

Welcome aboard and Go Hawks!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Great entry, and welcome to the fray :th2thumbs:
It was the Seahawks that turned me into a Football fan, there is NO other, and never will be, though I will say, there was a brief time that I became a "Sweetness" fan, the rest of them though? :1: nah
Looking forward to reading more from you also.
The old 'Scutter'