A perfect game

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
In baseball, there is such a thing as a perfect game. It is a game in which no runner reaches base. Essentially 27 batters retired in a row. A perfect game in baseball is an exciting thing to witness. The tension grows with each out. The winning team can have 20 runs and yet the possibility of a perfect game fills the air with excitement. Is there an equivalent in football? After any given Seahawks game, win or loss, there always seem to be gripes about something. Last nights win vs Philadelphia is no exception.

A blowout in football might be fun to watch from a spectators standpoint if you are on the winning side, but eventually all those points and easy scoring opportunities become boring and predictable. Is a perfect game in football predicated on a QB throwing for 300 yards and 3 TDs, with a RB eclipsing 150 yards all while the defense isn't scored on?

Does a potentially perfect game in football depend on a persons viewpoint? In many ways, as I've gotten older any win is a perfect game. Maybe that comes from being an original fan of this team and witnessing quite a few bad versions of Seahawks teams. Maybe its partly from surviving the Behring years and what seemed like a distinct possibility of losing them forever. Maybe its a matter of just enjoying it for what it is...entertainment.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Well said. We have become spoiled in the Pete/Russ Era. Winning breeds entitlement and heightened expectations. I too recall the dark years of the 90's where 9-7 was considered a great year. Now we debate about MVPs and at what point will this player or that player be enshrined in Canton. Winning should never, ever be taken for granted. There are no style points in the NFL. Nobody cares how close or ugly some of those wins were in a season your team ends up lifting the Lombardi in February.

If we have the gift of watching a second championship this season, will any one of us recall or care that we didn't blow out the Eagles?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I don't ever expect the Seahawks to have a "perfect game". Like you, I don't even really know what that would look like besides the obvious.
That said, when I gripe, it's usually because of the bullshit delay of game penalties, sometimes AFTER calling a timeout. Then, there's the 'pull out my hair, gouge my eyes out' play calls that happen EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. that I just don't understand how a coach as old as Pete can allow. Like that 4th & goal play, granted DK whiffed like a bitch, but that shit should have not even been in that section of the play book. Or that damn screen we throw 3x a week for a total of maybe 2+ net yards. Ughh. Yuck. I need a smoke now. I'm 1000000% happy we won, but some shit is inexcusable.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Aros":3jsx4t44 said:
Well said. We have become spoiled in the Pete/Russ Era. Winning breeds entitlement and heightened expectations. I too recall the dark years of the 90's where 9-7 was considered a great year. Now we debate about MVPs and at what point will this player or that player be enshrined in Canton. Winning should never, ever be taken for granted. There are no style points in the NFL. Nobody cares how close or ugly some of those wins were in a season your team ends up lifting the Lombardi in February.

If we have the gift of watching a second championship this season, will any one of us recall or care that we didn't blow out the Eagles?
I get what you are saying but there is no reason why every game needs to be close. There is no reason to “play down” to a much weaker team like Seattle usually does. You set the game’s outcome up for steering/bad officiating or a fluke play to cost you a game.

Pete Carroll coached teams don’t have the killer instinct to put teams away. IMHO that needs to change though likely won’t. It seems like there is a loss or 2 a year that costs Seattle HFA in the playoffs because they lost games in which they failed to put a team away......this years first Cards game may be that game.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Why are we not rolling Russ out on short yardage plays like McVey does with freaking Jared Goof? We have DK and Tyler Lockett and the first thing that pops in Schotty's head is "hmm, let me do this goofy jet sweep to slew footed David Moore! That'll do it!" :34853_doh:

sutz

Reaction score
The closest I can think of in Seahawks history has to be SB 48. Pretty much everything went right for the Hawks that day.

:0190l:

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
sutz":2afrs4rm said:
The closest I can think of in Seahawks history has to be SB 48. Pretty much everything went right for the Hawks that day.

:0190l:

Only perfect for Seahawks fans But yes, absolutely yes!!!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, that day was Nirvana for 12's everywhere. I doubt we will see anything quite like that ever again.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Great call Sutz. Anyone not rooting for Peyton or the Broncos should agree. Total domination of an opponent. Mentally, physically and by the scoreboard.

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
This sounds like a reasonable sort of question, until, ah-ha, we arrive at the actual point of your post. Oh, it was all to set up how you're the #1 bestest fan.

oldhawkfan":2kv25e6a said:
Does a potentially perfect game in football depend on a persons viewpoint? In many ways, as I've gotten older any win is a perfect game. Maybe that comes from being an original fan of this team and witnessing quite a few bad versions of Seahawks teams. Maybe its partly from surviving the Behring years and what seemed like a distinct possibility of losing them forever. Maybe its a matter of just enjoying it for what it is...entertainment.

This is such a logical fallacy on so many levels:
- "perfect" games in baseball have analysis and discussion anyway.
- You then go on to somehow compare the Philly game to a perfect game, because all wins are perfect
- You then end saying all games are actually the same, and should just be entertainment.
- So all games are perfect, and shouldn't be discussed, even though even perfect games are discussed.

Look, sports fans and especially sports forums are for talking about sports. It will be positive, negative, and just hot air. That is the deal. All of those people will still be rooting for their team 100% on game day. This "I'm the #1 fan because I never say anything critical!" is simply forum virtue signaling.

And finally, the outrage at possibly criticizing the team, but the readiness to throw the entire fan base under the bus is simply baffling. You must be a lot of fun to watch games with.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
BandWagon11Hawk":1rmcenmh said:
This sounds like a reasonable sort of question, until, ah-ha, we arrive at the actual point of your post. Oh, it was all to set up how you're the #1 bestest fan.

oldhawkfan":1rmcenmh said:

- You then go on to somehow compare the Philly game to a perfect game, because all wins are perfect
- You then end saying all games are actually the same, and should just be entertainment.
- So all games are perfect, and shouldn't be discussed, even though even perfect games are discussed.

Look, sports fans and especially sports forums are for talking about sports. It will be positive, negative, and just hot air. That is the deal. All of those people will still be rooting for their team 100% on game day. This "I'm the #1 fan because I never say anything critical!" is simply forum virtue signaling.

And finally, the outrage at possibly criticizing the team, but the readiness to throw the entire fan base under the bus is simply baffling. You must be a lot of fun to watch games with.

I see you totally didn’t get the point of my post. Your logic decoding needs a little work.

John63

Reaction score
So the title is just wrong, it was not even close to a perfect game. There were dropped passes, lots of stupid run plays to the outside that did nothing, etc etc.

Did we win...yeah, did it have to be this close no, did we play down yes.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":297hlcu2 said:
Aros":297hlcu2 said:

I get what you are saying but there is no reason why every game needs to be close. There is no reason to “play down” to a much weaker team like Seattle usually does. You set the game’s outcome up for steering/bad officiating or a fluke play to cost you a game.

Pete Carroll coached teams don’t have the killer instinct to put teams away. IMHO that needs to change though likely won’t. It seems like there is a loss or 2 a year that costs Seattle HFA in the playoffs because they lost games in which they failed to put a team away......this years first Cards game may be that game.

I could only disagree on one point here and that is the reason for a close game. There are 2 purposes here...one being of course the monetary syndrome. You need people to watch the game.

The other reason I can think of is one that is an interesting one for me. That is getting the new kids on the block into the game so they get experience while in the heat of the moment. I have not seen too many Seahawk blow outs so the experience is on the injury checkin instead of the ability to sub in players on a regular basis. That experience may be necessary later on in the season. And I know, NO ONE wants us to substitute our secondary players when our primary players are available for FANTASY FOOTBALL. :twisted: :twisted:

TypeSly

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":wgmkzawm said:
In baseball, there is such a thing as a perfect game. It is a game in which no runner reaches base. Essentially 27 batters retired in a row. A perfect game in baseball is an exciting thing to witness. The tension grows with each out. The winning team can have 20 runs and yet the possibility of a perfect game fills the air with excitement. Is there an equivalent in football? After any given Seahawks game, win or loss, there always seem to be gripes about something. Last nights win vs Philadelphia is no exception.

A blowout in football might be fun to watch from a spectators standpoint if you are on the winning side, but eventually all those points and easy scoring opportunities become boring and predictable. Is a perfect game in football predicated on a QB throwing for 300 yards and 3 TDs, with a RB eclipsing 150 yards all while the defense isn't scored on?

I dunno... this place woould be pretty boring if there were no gripes or critiques. This would just be the forum of apprasals and compliments :mrgreen:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Aros":oglqrij5 said:

Y'know, it really sticks in my craw that in our 2013 season, we let Tampa Bay and Mike Glennon (IIRC) get out to a 20-0 lead on us that year. Just as bad, we let Houston beat on us for a whole game before Shoeless Dick Sherman finally took matters into his own hands with a pick-6.

Then, to top it off for 2013, in the last game of the season, we stunk up the joint, vs the Arizona Cardinals, LOSING AT HOME, in front of the 12's, and embarrassingly backing our way into the playoffs.

I mean, those three games, just showed that the 2013 Hawks simply didn't have it, weren't that good, and were not made of the stuff of champions. :sarcasm_off:

I know, it's silly. We celebrate the SB48 championship over and over, despite those three games. The two comeback wins against Tampa Bay and Houston were exciting and simply showed this team's greatness. If this year's Seahawks were to accomplish great things in the playoffs, it's hard to think we'd care about failing to blow out an average-decent Philly team that has a very good defense. We'd especially celebrate the Minnesota and NE wins.

chris98251

Reaction score
BandWagon11Hawk":2iq277e2 said:

oldhawkfan":2iq277e2 said:

Well looking at your name I can understand your post.

Aside from that, having been here from the beginning you remember losing and bitterness with Behring and almost losing the team. We had hopes here and there but not a run like this.

Nobody really remembers the Stats every game, some highlights like Beast Quake, the Stomp of the Broncos in the Super Bowl, but your remember the feelings you had over the years about the team.

Why many are enamored with the Zorn years, we were on the map, football was fun, we had more wins then any expansion team ever early. The Knox years was arrival, someone wanted to come here, we had a nasty ass defense a a Legend playing for us, Behring years abysmal feelings other then Tez being the only real star. Then Paul, Holmgren and playoffs consistently and the NFC, we were contenders, people started to hate us rather then poke Seachicken jokes at us, we went to a Super Bowl and they had to fix the game for the Steelers to win.

Then Pete, it's been a hell of a ride so far, we have been spoiled, we have become them guys, you know, they attitude of many fans never knowing what losing was.

Why people won't remember games, they remember seasons and records and point to that.

Perfect Games are wins, we bitch about how sometimes but in a few weeks tend to move on to the next screw up, would have should have could have, hang Schotty, Fire Norton, Pete has lost it, till the next game and win.

That's a lot of what he is saying.

Jump off the wagon or not, we have seen many come and go here.

The way your a fan is your own, but don't tell someone else how they are a fan also.

He wasn't playing Super Fan cards, he was stating he was here at the beginning and appreciates the situation we have now.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
For me the Football equivalent to a perfect game in baseball would be the defense pitching a shutout while not allowing 1 first down for the opposing offense. In baseball a perfect game is about the defensive side of the game only. It can be 1-0 or 20-0. Same for football. It could be a 3-0 nothing win with the above defensive perfection described.

evergreen

Reaction score
olyfan63":1o2j31yc said:
Aros":1o2j31yc said:

Y'know, it really sticks in my craw that in our 2013 season, we let Tampa Bay and Mike Glennon (IIRC) get out to a 20-0 lead on us that year. Just as bad, we let Houston beat on us for a whole game before Shoeless d*ck Sherman finally took matters into his own hands with a pick-6.

Then, to top it off for 2013, in the last game of the season, we stunk up the joint, vs the Arizona Cardinals, LOSING AT HOME, in front of the 12's, and embarrassingly backing our way into the playoffs.

I mean, those three games, just showed that the 2013 Hawks simply didn't have it, weren't that good, and were not made of the stuff of champions. :sarcasm_off:

I know, it's silly. We celebrate the SB48 championship over and over, despite those three games. The two comeback wins against Tampa Bay and Houston were exciting and simply showed this team's greatness. If this year's Seahawks were to accomplish great things in the playoffs, it's hard to think we'd care about failing to blow out an average-decent Philly team that has a very good defense. We'd especially celebrate the Minnesota and NE wins.

IIRC that horrid Az game where we got 4 picks but lost was one of Russ's worst games similar to this year's Rams game. In fact there was a play where he he room to run for the 1st but threw it out of bounds to Baldwin instead, kinda like that horrid interception he threw in LA. Anyway that game put us in the #5 spot and the next week we had to beat the Rams to clinch #1 which we did.

Latest posts