A Perspective on Last Night from a Patsfan

mikeak

Reaction score
Did a fan of a team who pays half of league average for QB who just happens to be one of the best ever just complain over how much we pay our best pass rusher?...

#irony

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I'll let you in on a secret: We're waiting for Brady to retire so that Belichick will retire and Pete Carroll can finally be acknowledged as the best active coach in the NFL.

But aside from that, thanks for coming and posting a proper pluses/minuses post from the opposition. I think you pretty much nailed it as far as how the game played out.

With regard to PPG vs YPG, it's a bit of a mix. On the one hand, we've led the league in PPG four years running, which I'm sure I don't have yo tell you is a record in the Super Bowl era. On the other hand, the mantra of the defense is "defend every blade of grass". That doesn't mean not to give up yardage, but to make the opponent pay for every gain, not to give up yardage for free, and most importantly, it's not a score unless the ball crosses the plane of the goal line. Everything about our defense escalates the closer you get to our goal line, and those red zone yards are truly hard to come by.

Full credit to the Patriots exploiting the edge rushing in the red zone. Not many teams can do that to us. However it was telling that with the game on the line and a rusher who was gashing us all 4th quarter, with the game on the line you passed instead. Irony thou art a heartless bitch. Do we get a ring for that? Cause if not, it's a bit unfair.

Anyway...

Our two teams played possibly the best game of football we'll see all year, and I am so glad that you can come here even on the losing end and appreciate the spectacle that it was, and with heaps respect for both teams. Fantastic post. You're welcome here any time.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
OhioPatsFan - I'd just like to echo thanks for a great conversation-starter post from you, as a fan of an opposing team. You're indeed very welcome here - cheers!

hawker84

Reaction score
Thanks for the great post, and yes what a game. I was skeptical going into sunday night, I didn't think the O had enough fire power to go toe to toe with Brady and company. They proved me wrong, and I think we're finally starting to see this offense get healthy and come to life. We all knew it could be explosive, but just hadn't really seen it yet until the Buffalo game.

Denfense folks already covered that for you. BTW, on that hit to Gronk, that was Earl Thomas not Kam. Gronk said that was one of the hardest hits he's ever taken as a pro. Weird it being Thomas, he's so little, but when you're not ready for the hit, size does not matter.

Anyhoo, I have a sneaking suspicion we might be seeing each other down the road. Here's to a good rest of the season and a deep post season run....

hawker84

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1lxnn8wi said:
Steve2222":1lxnn8wi said:
In a nutshell, the Seahawks d can't get off the field on 3rd down. Even 3rd down and extra long I'm not confident in this bunch, as we saw last night a few times

Did ok on 4th down at the goal line. Ill take it

So screw the 3rd and 17 and 3rd and 25 conversions and all the other ones, that last series negates all that? Yes that was awesome, but we clearly have a 3rd down problem on defense that needs to be addressed....

Smellyman

Reaction score
lukerguy":lsjf7rvl said:
Thanks for the cordial post!

The defense has always given up tons of yards but held teams down in scoring points.

I was very surprised about a few 3rd and longs, however. We need to consider a different coverage on 3rd and long.

Also, we allowed far too many red zone conversions. Sometimes you must tip your cap to the GOAT though.

A ton of yards is a little over stating it. They have been 1, 2 or 3 in yards per game the last 4 years too.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm going to say this first: I'm impressed by the Pats fans coming here (both posts). Intelligent football from other fan bases is always welcome; I enjoy a different viewpoint and you know your team better than I do.

On our defense: we're giving up too much in the run game. At the beginning of the year we were giving up around 2 yards per play on 1st down. Now it's up to around 4.5. Teams running well against us puts them in a lot of short 3rd downs that are easily made.

I'm more annoyed at giving up the long 3rd downs again. Teams should never make a 3rd and 25 on you, and you also had a 3rd and 16 that I remember. One of those plays was an obvious illegal pick against Sherman, but either we're just not going to get those calls this year, or the league just isn't calling them much at all (I'm guessing the latter).

I think they'll get it together when Bennett comes back and our offense can start staying on the field a reasonable amount of time. Guys get beat up when they play 40 minutes a game.

Feel free to come back and shoot the crap with us about other games. We have an NFL forum as well that's pretty good. Lots of other intelligent fans there.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Classy post.

On the defense -- two things for me. The run defense has been a lot weaker this year. Possibly due to Mebane's departure. But because they aren't shutting down the run like they did last year, they're allowing a lot of third and shorts. This is extending drives and teams are having 9-11 play scoring possessions. That is not usual. So I think they need to find a way to be tougher vs the run. Yardage wise they were better the other night even if Blount did a good job in the red zone. Secondly, it's losing Bennett and Kam for a stretch. Two vital players.

Boycie

Reaction score
OhioPatsFan":1ddwg6db said:
:greetingsearthling: Hello fellow Seahawks fans! Hope you're enjoying that hell of a win!

It was a rough loss for the Patriots but it was enjoyable at the same time. That game is what football, in all aspects, should be. Hard hitting, back and forth, two top QB's (Top 2 imo, get out of here Rodgers), crucial defensive stops (I would say phenomenal defensive effort from Seahawks, I just have a question that I will pose below) with it all coming down to the last play. Forreal. It's ridiculous how both of these teams stay in the game for 60 minutes.

On the Patriots side, it was really REALLY annoying for multiple reasons:

- What the heck was that defensive game plan. A soft zone scheme with DB's way off the line. Given that we rarely play in that formation and that our communication was trash made it all that much worse. Seahawks were roughing up our receivers (As they should damnit, it's a football game) with Kam having literally one of the best hits ever. It wasn't a Pollard sell-out, questionable dirty hit. It was a statement. Gronk has a punctured lung btw, lol. ALSO WHY DID WE DO A TWO MAN RUSH. WHATTTTTT WASSSS THATTTTT. You validate that playcall by, you know, having the 9 DB's actually cover their man/zone lol. Patriots did not accomplish that.

- Offense was at times great, came up with some crucial 3rd down conversions (the other Bennett brother had a field day), but ultimately couldn't get it done when it most mattered (I don't know if it was Brady who made that call at the line or Daniels, but that was such a weak ending). That Blount TD though was one of the coolest touchdowns I've seen this season though haha.

On the Seahawks:

- People expected the team to limp into this game given the amount of time they've been playing as well as the short week while also taking a trip East. Obviously, they did not. Russel was able to make plays with movement this game, the O-Line held pretty well (Our pass-rush from the front 7 is awful so don't let that game be the best barometer for OLine success. Just a heads up!) and your receivers had a field day against our secondary. Again, I cannot stress how annoying our gameplan was. But it is imperative to tip a hat to how your offense took advantage, as it came through on the most crucial drives.

- Seahawks defense is where my biggest question is. They obviously made stops when it mattered most, created TO's, etc., but statistically, they were quite similar to the Patriots defense. Are you guys sold on the unit coming together or is there a bit of worry that there is too much yardage being given up? Over at Patsfans, it was a divisive debate because while we had a good PPG going into the game, we were very average, if not below, in yardage. It caused posters to debate with hubris that PPG is the only important stat while those who were scared argued that you afford too many opportunities giving up that yardage and someone is bound to take advantage of it. Is there a similar thought process here?

- Good gameplan, it was executed when it mattered most. Carroll made some questionable play calls, but when you win, it doesn't matter. There were maybe 2 or 3, but that's it haha.

At the end of the day, it was a good game! In a season of rather boring football, this was a sight. Great board you guys got going here, a lot of intellectual discourse on the intricacies of football and not playing into drama as other fanbases are prone to. Hopefully we meet again in the SB, because let's be real, only the Seahawks and Patriots make for the best games.

To answer your question, I don't think it will come to bite us in the butt, because we did it against you guys. I don't think that there is another team that can rack up points like the Pats. Our D lives off of not giving up too many big plays, and they try to make the other team have to have perfect drives because they do not allow those huge plays(although we had trouble against you guys on a couple of them).

You made a good statement that when it matters the most, because they pin their ears back and make the stops. That is our D in nutshell, and I for one am not worried because they have been doing this for years and have success doing so.

Great game to you guys, and I hope we meet again in the SB, because that would be awesome. I just hope the game doesn't come to us on the 1 yard line again :stirthepot:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree about the D, it's always been a suffocating bend but don't break D...........but IMO one BIG issue right now, and that's they can't get off the damn field on 3rd down.

How many 3rd and long have teams converted on this defense this year? I've lost track. Gotta be 7-8 just in the past two weeks.

OP
OP
O

OhioPatsFan

Reaction score
Mick063":2brh8246 said:
Nice post.

Seattles defense is as good as ever, however, the rest of the league has become very familiar with how to attack their defensive scheme. The newness has worn off, but the elite talent still makes it work. Over time, teams have had ample video references of what works against Seattle's defense. When opposing offenses deviate away from it, the chances of them losing goes way up.

The most potent kryptonite started with the Rams and their numerous different unheralded quarterbacks that have had sustained success against the Seahawks. Their coach, Fischer, successfully found an infallible way to convert third downs, using a relatively unknown running back named Bennie Cunningham. The play is called a delayed wheel route and it was a means for the Rams to complete the necessary two or three scoring drives required to win a defensive slugfest.

Bill Belichik obviously noticed this on film and used it extensively in the Super Bowl for a second half comeback. Go check out those stats again. The most impactful player in that game was Shane Vereen. Shane Vereen as a receiver in a delayed wheel route. It is how you beat Seattle. Honestly, that play gives Seattle fits. Delayed wheel routes to the running back. Not every down, just third down conversions. Keep the chains moving.

Want proof? Check out this link: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bow ... highlights

So my question back to you is........the Patriots successfully used Blount as a ball carrier, but I don't recall them using White as a receiving back. Why not? Especially if Belichik has already discovered the secret formula to shred Seattle's defense.

Very good point about Vereen's importance during the SB, and I was wondering the same thing. Some chalk it up to not showing your whole hand (As in, we may play against each other again in a more important game, so save the looks for a delayed wheel) and some might chalk it up to our O Line not giving enough time for White to let that play develop? I'm not sure.

This is why I said I want to see Lewis back in the mix. Fortunately for most teams, he went out pretty early last season, but if you'd like a little reel of the ridiculous plays this guy made, here's a short vid.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/GH9a5TNi6mM[/youtube]

Like I said guys, much appreciated for the warm welcome and I'll now let you resume preparing for your next week opponent. I, on the other hand, am salivating at the opportunity to take on Kaepernick and have a nice little rebound game. Good luck Hawks!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great game on Sunday, 2 tough teams going at it. Hopefully for you, Gronk is better soon. Love that guy, such a beast.

Jville

Reaction score
OhioPatsFan":2ijwh3i7 said:
Like I said guys, much appreciated for the warm welcome and I'll now let you resume preparing for your next week opponent. I, on the other hand, am salivating at the opportunity to take on Kaepernick and have a nice little rebound game. Good luck Hawks!

The sight of Patriots leveling Kaepernick would be so symbolic. Enjoy!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jville":2zbp35n8 said:
OhioPatsFan":2zbp35n8 said:

The sight of Patriots leveling Kaepernick would be so symbolic. Enjoy!

Great.....we get filet of crow and he gets filet of Kaep. :sarcasm_off: :twisted: :stirthepot:

Latest posts