A Public Apology to Kam Chancellor

Rocket

Reaction score
Rob12":22hx7m81 said:
...and honestly, it's OK if not many here are with me. But sometimes the heart just gets convicted. My words towards Kam and his choices were uncalled for, and I'm good with owning that.

This is just football. At the end of the day, this is just football.
I'm with ya... and your post was very well done.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I certainly don't condone anyone who personally sent awful messages to Kam via social media....however:

1. Kam was quite active about the issue on Twitter. If he didn't want interaction, good or bad, stay off of it.

2. I am glad that he felt some sting from the fans. It clearly bothered him, otherwise he wouldnt have made the backhanded forgiveness comment that wasnt really forgiveness but rather a shot. I think its good that he and other players see that when they are selfish knuckleheads, they are going to get called out on it....by fans.and by fellow players (ET)

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Rob12":bevsy0t9 said:
About not owing him an apology - I disagree. I feel I owe him one. I tore into him on here, and also on his Instagram page. I was raised by loving parents who instilled me the desire to treat people the right way, even when they may not deserve it. Especially when you truly don't know their situation.

I doubt Kam cares about my apology. And that's okay.

I believe that it is possible to differentiate between criticizing the actions of a person from the character of the person himself. I felt that most folk here were not attacking the personhood of Kam, but were simply unhappy with his decisions. To me, Kam was ignorant of the cause-effect relationship of his actions. Kam's actions were illogical.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
cesame":1jg5ikrq said:
I hold absolutely nothing against Kam or any player that tries to maximize how much money they earn during their brief time in the NFL. It's business.

Sure is.

But there are smart ways and idiotic ways to go about it.

We've seen exhibit A.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
morgulon1":2nyp9d04 said:
............In other words the Seahawks rammed him in the ass. All Kam has to do is look at a 30 something washed up has been we got from the Eagles who is making over 3 million more than him.
Different positions. NFL salary structure is not the fault of the Seahawks. They're "ramming him in the ass" so badly that he's within a couple thousand of being the highest paid guy at his position in the NFL.
Your post sucks IMO.

morgulon1

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2n6z3kwr said:
morgulon1":2n6z3kwr said:
............In other words the Seahawks rammed him in the ass. All Kam has to do is look at a 30 something washed up has been we got from the Eagles who is making over 3 million more than him.
Different positions. NFL salary structure is not the fault of the Seahawks. They're "ramming him in the ass" so badly that he's within a couple thousand of being the highest paid guy at his position in the NFL.
Your post sucks IMO.

First of all, thanks for reading my post. I know you've been on this forum for a long time and bring a lot. I respect your position that you feel my post sucks.

Now having said that, I do in fact take a slightly different position than most people here. He might be paid at the top of his designated position which is strong safety. But what Kam brings to this team can't be put into the SS position by itself. He is a leader, on the field and in the locker room and from what I've heard in life to his team mates. I don't care what anyone says, it was affecting people on the other side of the ball as well.

Kam Chancellor is the heart and soul of this team and it shows.Signing Cary Williams would of set me off if I were Kam.

Hawksfansincedayone, Im glad to share this forum with you. We just disagree on this particular point.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
morgulon1":g2d6xjwb said:
hawksfansinceday1":g2d6xjwb said:
morgulon1":g2d6xjwb said:
Your post sucks IMO.

First of all, thanks for reading my post. I know you've been on this forum for a long time and bring a lot. I respect your position that you feel my post sucks.

Now having said that, I do in fact take a slightly different position than most people here. He might be paid at the top of his designated position which is strong safety. But what Kam brings to this team can't be put into the SS position by itself. He is a leader, on the field and in the locker room and from what I've heard in life to his team mates. I don't care what anyone says, it was affecting people on the other side of the ball as well.

Kam Chancellor is the heart and soul of this team and it shows.Signing Cary Williams would of set me off if I were Kam.

Hawksfansincedayone, Im glad to share this forum with you. We just disagree on this particular point.
Fair enough and we're both Hawks fans and that's what matters. Agree to disagree.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
rideaducati":3swbi0ce said:
How many people would gladly deal with the aches and pains later in life to be paid millions for several years in their twenties? I know I would. Most of us just don't have that opportunity. Those that do should realize the opportunity they have in front of them.

I'm all for players making as much as they can and I don't hold grudges for players that leave for more money. That being said, if a player signs a contract, he should honor it. I know there are those that try to tell us that the NFL doesn't honor their contracts, but those people feed on what the media gives them when deals are announced and/or don't understand the how and why NFL contracts are written. NFL contracts have to have an out or the NFL would end up like MLB and teams would be paying for players that just can't play anymore and there would be more awful teams every year. How many people enjoy watching players that can't play anymore still collecting a paycheck, because they can, instead of just retiring? I hate that.

A lot of players deserve more money than they are currently getting and I believe Kam is one of them. Holding out with three years left on the deal is not a good way to get it though. I didn't hear complaints from the Seahawks or Kam when the Seahawks made him one of the highest paid safeties in the league, so I don't support complaining when other guys get paid more. The Seahawks aren't to blame for the fortunate timing of Kam signing his contract and there weren't many people that thought that the Seahawks got the better deal when the contract was signed. It was only AFTER other players that weren't as good started getting paid more than Kam that Kam got upset, but those players were just as upset when Kam got his contract for the same reason. It's a vicious circle, but they have to start somewhere. It's all about timing, and Kam's timing just wasn't as good as those other guys. If he stays healthy and plays well, he should be able to make up for it with his next contract. Players should know that the "next" guy that gets his contract gets paid more than the guy that got paid before him.

The Seahawks couldn't do anything with Chancellor's contract because that would have set the NFL into a tailspin. Every agent with a player that is playing well would be in management's office demanding more money with many years left on their current deal. I'm sure Paul Allen fielded calls from almost every other owner in the NFL pressuring him not to cave to Chancellor's demands. That's why Paul Allen ended all contract talks.

There isn't any need to apologize for anything. Feelings are what they are and you can't control how or why you feel the way you do. Feelings aren't right or wrong and you should never apologize because of them. You should do what you can to be better informed, but along the way, feel away. I'm sure most people's feeling about Kam Chancellor have changed, it doesn't make them right or wrong and nobody should apologize for their new feelings.

I wouldn't sacrifice quality of life in my 40's and 50's for millions. Not to mention the cognitive negative effects that are likely.

Like I said... I'm friends with a former offensive lineman who had an 11 year career. He's not even 50 yet.

His life now is a lot more than "aches and pains."

Hawkpower

Reaction score
morgulon1":7p3mi37t said:
hawksfansinceday1":7p3mi37t said:
morgulon1":7p3mi37t said:
Your post sucks IMO.

Signing Williams would set you off? What were they supposed to do, go a man empty? Good old Maxwell got and would have demanded even more. Surely you knew this.

Salaries are what they are at positions for a reason.

If Seattle starts overpaying guys at positions like strong safety just because they are "good leaders" they will be in a financial mess in a heartbeat.

The FO can't afford to do what you suggest, and that is pay salaries based on emotion.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
My dad used to always tell me that life was too short to be pissed off all the time. Especially over the things in life out of our control.

He was right. He died unexpectedly. two years ago at 64.

I'm not trying to change how anyone feels about Kam. I've just chosen to have some perspective and move on. I'm glad he's back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
morgulon1":389lils7 said:

I think most of us agree with all of this, but it doesn't change the fact that Kam asked for more money with three years left on his deal...........thus making his chance at success 0%. No team is going to renegotiate a player's deal with three years left, no matter who the player is.

So while we all understand that Kam is underpaid, he still has to do what EVERY player that thinks he's underpaid..................come into camp, STFU, play your ass off, have a great year and that equates to leverage when you have 1-2 years left on your deal. Then and ONLY then will you get paid.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
I'll defer to Earl here. He said something to the effect of Kam being the most important player on the defense because he's so mentally tuned in to what the defense does. He gets guys in position and sets them up to make plays. If what Earl said is true, Kam deserves more money. It's that simple. If he's the best player on a historically great defense, his position and the market is irrelevant. Just because his position says he should be paid x amount of dollars doesn't mean it's right.

If he's as important as these first two games and the comments of players suggest he is, he is truly irreplaceable.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Rob12":3i3ozs57 said:
rideaducati":3i3ozs57 said:
How many people would gladly deal with the aches and pains later in life to be paid millions for several years in their twenties? I know I would. Most of us just don't have that opportunity. Those that do should realize the opportunity they have in front of them.

I'm all for players making as much as they can and I don't hold grudges for players that leave for more money. That being said, if a player signs a contract, he should honor it. I know there are those that try to tell us that the NFL doesn't honor their contracts, but those people feed on what the media gives them when deals are announced and/or don't understand the how and why NFL contracts are written. NFL contracts have to have an out or the NFL would end up like MLB and teams would be paying for players that just can't play anymore and there would be more awful teams every year. How many people enjoy watching players that can't play anymore still collecting a paycheck, because they can, instead of just retiring? I hate that.

A lot of players deserve more money than they are currently getting and I believe Kam is one of them. Holding out with three years left on the deal is not a good way to get it though. I didn't hear complaints from the Seahawks or Kam when the Seahawks made him one of the highest paid safeties in the league, so I don't support complaining when other guys get paid more. The Seahawks aren't to blame for the fortunate timing of Kam signing his contract and there weren't many people that thought that the Seahawks got the better deal when the contract was signed. It was only AFTER other players that weren't as good started getting paid more than Kam that Kam got upset, but those players were just as upset when Kam got his contract for the same reason. It's a vicious circle, but they have to start somewhere. It's all about timing, and Kam's timing just wasn't as good as those other guys. If he stays healthy and plays well, he should be able to make up for it with his next contract. Players should know that the "next" guy that gets his contract gets paid more than the guy that got paid before him.

The Seahawks couldn't do anything with Chancellor's contract because that would have set the NFL into a tailspin. Every agent with a player that is playing well would be in management's office demanding more money with many years left on their current deal. I'm sure Paul Allen fielded calls from almost every other owner in the NFL pressuring him not to cave to Chancellor's demands. That's why Paul Allen ended all contract talks.

There isn't any need to apologize for anything. Feelings are what they are and you can't control how or why you feel the way you do. Feelings aren't right or wrong and you should never apologize because of them. You should do what you can to be better informed, but along the way, feel away. I'm sure most people's feeling about Kam Chancellor have changed, it doesn't make them right or wrong and nobody should apologize for their new feelings.

I wouldn't sacrifice quality of life in my 40's and 50's for millions. Not to mention the cognitive negative effects that are likely.

Like I said... I'm friends with a former offensive lineman who had an 11 year career. He's not even 50 yet.

I wonder if you would have passed up the millions earlier in life if given the opportunity. Looking back, most of us wouldn't do a lot of the things we did because of aches and pains now, but it would be really hard to pass up on the money.

I feel bad for the guys that played for relative peanuts as opposed to today's player pay. Add in the advances in health care and nutrition and players today should see a better future. I think a majority of former players would still do it all over again no matter what they were paid.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sign37now":833w1tpm said:
Poppycock. Rob, it sounds like you are either in law enforcement or a hose dragger. So I hear ya when you talk about leaving the house and not being sure you will return. However, Kam is due to make over 4 million dollars this year. At my current rate of pay it would take me 57 years to earn that amount of money. Kam is not required to wear a bullet proof vest to work every day, I am.

If you gave me 4 million dollars right now I can guarantee I would never have to work another day of my life and I would live very comfortably. Who's fault is it that many of these guys can't manage their money and make it last a lifetime? He should easily be able to play out this contract and never paly again with he and all of his descendants being set for life. 4+ million for this year not enough..BS.

Nailed it.

Kam has lost his grip on reality. Sorry, but he has. He's lost perspective on the fans who equally put their bodies and lives on the line every day without the millions of dollars of compensation. Even those who don't -- to say he 'forgives' the ones who simply work their arses off for a humble salary and use the Seahawks as a release from the mundanity of life is elite-level arrogance.

He isn't the only person in the world getting less money than they deserve. Most can't do jack **** about it. Most can't afford to hold out for a month, throw away cheques and pay fines worth nearly $2m.

He shouldn't be saying he forgives anyone. He should be saying he understands the frustration of some fans even if they don't know the whole story (and why would they?) and he hopes to win back their trust on the field.

He didn't say that. He came out a load of tosh about God forgives everyone (apart from all the genocide in the Bible, but I digress...) so why shouldn't he.

It's no wonder he held out this long. His head is in the clouds.

blue 22

Reaction score
You have good points but no offense... The guy has no clue who you are and doesn't care.. You don't need to write an apology on a message board he won't read.

kearly

Reaction score
morgulon1":hmy3ajvz said:
Lawyer Malloy was a great player who had a very nice career. Not nearly as impactful or important to his team as #31.

It's a bit off topic, but I can't think of very many safeties from the past decade that compare better to Chancellor than Milloy. Both were central figures in elite defenses that went to multiple Super Bowls. Both were famous for hitting hard. Milloy ended up leaving the team over money (he was released after refusing a pay cut), and Kam just held out over money. Both were outstanding leaders and communicators.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":1irgl2jg said:
morgulon1":1irgl2jg said:
Lawyer Malloy was a great player who had a very nice career. Not nearly as impactful or important to his team as #31.

It's a bit off topic, but I can't think of very many safeties from the past decade that compare better to Chancellor than Milloy. Both were central figures in elite defenses that went to multiple Super Bowls. Both were famous for hitting hard. Milloy ended up leaving the team over money (he was released after refusing a pay cut), and Kam just held out over money. Both were outstanding leaders and communicators.

Leadership wise, absolutely Milloy is a great comparison.

Playing style? Sean Taylor all the way.

kearly

Reaction score
Rob12":2g4e6rs4 said:

I have some long term health problems from playing it in High School and a little bit of college. I was never paid. I don't regret it even a little. I wish I could still play.

I think for most players a love of money is secondary to having a love for the game.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":f70tvqfj said:
Sign37now":f70tvqfj said:
Poppycock. Rob, it sounds like you are either in law enforcement or a hose dragger. So I hear ya when you talk about leaving the house and not being sure you will return. However, Kam is due to make over 4 million dollars this year. At my current rate of pay it would take me 57 years to earn that amount of money. Kam is not required to wear a bullet proof vest to work every day, I am.

If you gave me 4 million dollars right now I can guarantee I would never have to work another day of my life and I would live very comfortably. Who's fault is it that many of these guys can't manage their money and make it last a lifetime? He should easily be able to play out this contract and never paly again with he and all of his descendants being set for life. 4+ million for this year not enough..BS.

Nailed it.

Kam has lost his grip on reality. Sorry, but he has. He's lost perspective on the fans who equally put their bodies and lives on the line every day without the millions of dollars of compensation. Even those who don't -- to say he 'forgives' the ones who simply work their arses off for a humble salary and use the Seahawks as a release from the mundanity of life is elite-level arrogance.

He isn't the only person in the world getting less money than they deserve. Most can't do jack **** about it. Most can't afford to hold out for a month, throw away cheques and pay fines worth nearly $2m.

He shouldn't be saying he forgives anyone. He should be saying he understands the frustration of some fans even if they don't know the whole story (and why would they?) and he hopes to win back their trust on the field.

He didn't say that. He came out a load of tosh about God forgives everyone (apart from all the genocide in the Bible, but I digress...) so why shouldn't he.

It's no wonder he held out this long. His head is in the clouds.

Kam possesses skills that 99.9 of the population do not have. He makes millions because he provides an elite set of skills in a profession that demands it. And it results in a product that makes billions and billions of dollars every single year.

I get the money argument on a simplistic level, but it's not that simple. You have to know this? These athletes do put their health on the line, but they have also spent nearly all of their lives honing their skills, and living in such a way in regards to nutrition, fitness, and commitment that most people are not willing to do. That, along with natural talent, gets them to where they are. They put in the work that a vast majority of the people on this earth don't.

He can say what he wants. It's a free country. Of course there are repercussions to his words, because get pissed off. But I don't know if I could keep my cool if I had people spewing venom each and every day, all because I was doing something that was in my best interest (as ill conceived as it may be).