Adrian Peterson traded to Arizona

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":322e2e8q said:
Maybe it doesn't work, but it's literally zero risk.

Anyone who has been around AP the last few years know it is not "zero" risk.

He has been a negative influence on his team, coaches and players. He's selfish, constantly a distraction and not interested in anything that does not benefit him first... and he's just not good anymore. Maybe you make concessions for an in-form Randy Moss in New England coming back to MN. He isn't that.

JimmyG

Reaction score
ivotuk":3a2x59xp said:
WindCityHawk":3a2x59xp said:
It's easy to crap on the move for a division opponent, but wouldn't you prefer him here? He's probably be a step up from any of our current backs. And may be able to plow through bad blocking the way Lynch did.

The question, of course, is whether he in fact has anything left in the tank. If he does, the Cardinals actually just opened up their offense.

I'm not ready to write them off just yet.

I have to disagree. Petersen is pretty much done. He and Marshawn have a lot of miles on their bodies, and they are not the elite running backs that they used to be. I read an article where the author calculated that 1,800 carries was the average limit to the lifetime of an NFL Running Back. Now there are some rare ones that are successful beyond that, but not by much.

Marshawn has 2,200 carries and has not looked good of late. AP has 2,400. IMHO, I don't think either one will get beyond 800 yards this year.
Sample size is way too small to call him toast. He has just over 60 carries over the last 20 regular season games. Part of that is due to injury (2015, he only appeared in 3 games), and part of that is scheme fit (NO requires complete backs, AP is not that -- he was routinely subbed out in passing downs for McKinnon in Minnesota).

Now, on the other hand, AP is 32, and we all know what happens to running backs after they hit age 30.

Still, I think it's really premature to say he's worthless. I'm not writing off a generational RB talent because of 60 carries. That's, for all intents and purposes, a 3-game regular season stretch of being ineffective. I wouldn't mind this move at all if we were Arizona.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":jb3wqn37 said:
Desperate move by Arians, and he'll bring nothing but more disfunction to the team. Love it!

Would you like to amend this statement? :lol:

daketah

Reaction score
Looking forward to the Seahawks defense turning AP back into a locker room cancer!

mistaowen

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1tho8o0c said:
Desperate move by Arians, and he'll bring nothing but more disfunction to the team. Love it!

Good call

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JimmyG":1i9u4p7z said:
ivotuk":1i9u4p7z said:
WindCityHawk":1i9u4p7z said:
It's easy to crap on the move for a division opponent, but wouldn't you prefer him here? He's probably be a step up from any of our current backs. And may be able to plow through bad blocking the way Lynch did.

The question, of course, is whether he in fact has anything left in the tank. If he does, the Cardinals actually just opened up their offense.

I'm not ready to write them off just yet.

I have to disagree. Petersen is pretty much done. He and Marshawn have a lot of miles on their bodies, and they are not the elite running backs that they used to be. I read an article where the author calculated that 1,800 carries was the average limit to the lifetime of an NFL Running Back. Now there are some rare ones that are successful beyond that, but not by much.

Marshawn has 2,200 carries and has not looked good of late. AP has 2,400. IMHO, I don't think either one will get beyond 800 yards this year.
Sample size is way too small to call him toast. He has just over 60 carries over the last 20 regular season games. Part of that is due to injury (2015, he only appeared in 3 games), and part of that is scheme fit (NO requires complete backs, AP is not that -- he was routinely subbed out in passing downs for McKinnon in Minnesota).

Now, on the other hand, AP is 32, and we all know what happens to running backs after they hit age 30.

Still, I think it's really premature to say he's worthless. I'm not writing off a generational RB talent because of 60 carries. That's, for all intents and purposes, a 3-game regular season stretch of being ineffective. I wouldn't mind this move at all if we were Arizona.
Good Call..

hawkfan68

Reaction score
AP showed that he has something left in the tank. Wow...Cards look a lot better now. It seems the NFC West could be up for grabs now with Rams, Cards, and Seahawks.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Adrian has never been your typical world-class athlete. I remember how quickly he came back from an ACL tear a few years ago, it was inhuman. He's not a guy I'd use the "he's over 30 so he can't be a good RB" logic on. He's more of a Curtis Martin, I think.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
nanomoz":1hr8g2pp said:
He's more of a Curtis Martin, I think.

Ehh, he's a bit more reliant on his athletic ability than was a guy like Curtis Martin, who I'd say was more similar to guys like Emmitt Smith or Frank Gore TBH. These types of guys could keep on playing after their physical ability started to go because their games were always based on patience, vision, and understanding schemes and defenses (and where space was going to open up before it did) in a way that most people can't.

Peterson is (or was) basically a beautiful blend of power, speed, and agility with a devastating jump cut -- he was like the best parts of a power back and the best parts of a speed back all rolled into one, but was practically useless outside of a downhill inside zone scheme. Luckily, that's exactly the scheme the Cardinals run.

None of this means he's done -- he's an otherworldly athlete -- but if or when that physical ability goes (and it still seemed to be there yesterday he's very, very done, IMO.