Adrian Petterson

RichNhansom

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1dwd6f94 said:
Dude. First of all, every mammal species on the face of the earth engages in homosexual behavior, there is an abundance videos available for you to see for yourself. They're on YouTube.

Are there? OK I'll take your word for it.

Secondly, what the hell were you doing passed out drunk at eleven years old?

That time i was 21 and stationed in Connecticut.

Third, you're confusing pedophilia for homosexuality. They are not the same.

Both of the quotes were regarding men who openly said they were gay. There are other events as well but I don't feel the need to go into it.

Plain and simple I am not for or against being gay and could care less about the issue of gay marriage but the way some of these guys are on the attack makes me want to maybe rethink my opinion.

If these guys had their way I think Broke back mountain would be required school education. Sorry but you can't shove your opinion down others throats. It will rarely be accepted well.

nategreat

Reaction score
The fact is Adrian Peterson has on opinion. He doesn't believe in gay marriage, probably for religious reasons. He doesn't believe it's right. There is nothing wrong with that. Many feel the same way. It's important to differentiate between what's a legal matter and what's a religious matter, but when it comes to having an opinion, a religious reason is just as important as a legal reason. Nobody asked him if he thought it's a religious matter or a legal matter. I'm sure in his eyes, he was looking at it from a religious perspective. Just as you say he may be ignorant of the facts, you are likely ignorant of his exact reasoning as well. Right and wrong are two things that are very subjective. Luckily we live in America, where freedom to choose is plentiful. But just because you may have the choice or freedom of doing something, it doesn't necessarily mean it's right, or at least it can be argued that is isn't right. Legally, yeah it may be the right thing, but religiously, it's not looked upon too highly. It needs to be looked at from both sides.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Homosexuality has been witnessed in over 1,500 species to date. It has been regularly observed aspect of 500 of those species and counting. Animals, birds, and insects do not have the mental capacity to make choices like humans do. If homosexuality were a choice only, then birds, insects, and animals would not be able to become homosexual because they don't have the mental ability to make that choice.

If you're suggesting homosexuals shouldn't be allowed the same rights as straights because a man made an attempt at molesting you, then straight people shouldn't be allowed to either because there are way more straight child molesters than homosexual (which isn't to say being straight makes someone more likely to molest a child - there are just way more straight people in the world and thus, way more straight child molesters).

If we were being bigoted toward you, Rich, we would be talking about how we should take away rights, how you should be locked up, or some other nonsense that never solved anything. We're not. This is us attempting to provide you with the damming evidence to your personal beliefs about homosexuality.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
nategreat":1h9k454i said:
The fact is Adrian Peterson has on opinion. He doesn't believe in gay marriage, probably for religious reasons. He doesn't believe it's right. There is nothing wrong with that. Many feel the same way. It's important to differentiate between what's a legal matter and what's a religious matter, but when it comes to having an opinion, a religious reason is just as important as a legal reason. Nobody asked him if he thought it's a religious matter or a legal matter. I'm sure in his eyes, he was looking at it from a religious perspective. Just as you say he may be ignorant of the facts, you are likely ignorant of his exact reasoning as well. Right and wrong are two things that are very subjective. Luckily we live in America, where freedom to choose is plentiful. But just because you may have the choice or freedom of doing something, it doesn't necessarily mean it's right, or at least it can be argued that is isn't right. Legally, yeah it may be the right thing, but religiously, it's not looked upon too highly. It needs to be looked at from both sides.

A religious reason is not as important as a legal reason in a country that has law directing for the separation of church and government legislation. We're a democratic republic aiming for certain standards of freedom and equality. We established these goals because many of the people who came to America in the first place were looking to escape religiously run governments that were persecuting them for their differing beliefs. Any church regardless of their beliefs is not supposed to have any legislative power because it leads to persecution out of those beliefs. This is exactly what has been happening to homosexuals. It isn't subjective. It's a contradiction to one of our greatest founding principles.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Opinions are like assholes everyone has one and none of them are very pretty.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3rgm1gwf said:
nategreat":3rgm1gwf said:

A religious reason is not as important as a legal reason in a country that has law directing for the separation of church and government legislation. We're a democratic republic aiming for certain standards of freedom and equality. We established these goals because many of the people who came to America in the first place were looking to escape religiously run governments that were persecuting them for their differing beliefs. Any church regardless of their beliefs is not supposed to have any legislative power because it leads to persecution out of those beliefs. This is exactly what has been happening to homosexuals. It isn't subjective. It's a contradiction to one of our greatest founding principles.

Whether we look at this issue from a religious perspective or a legal one...everyone is entitled to form an opinion one way or another, but that opinion should not be allowed to interfere with an individual's liberty to choose for themselves whether or not they wish to be married to the partner of their choosing. If you choose to abstain from gay marriage on the basis of religious belief and choose to teach your children to do the same, more power to you that is your choice, but at the point that choice is used to influence the legality of someone's right to the pursuit of happiness is where the line must be drawn. If you don't agree with it fine. You don't have to, but you do have to allow others the freedom to disagree and ultimately do what brings them joy in life. It is one of the principles that has governed this nation from its conception and one that has been conveniently overlooked in the name of religions freedom. One freedom cannot, must not outweigh the other.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Bakergirl":2lud1dk1 said:
BirdsCommaAngry":2lud1dk1 said:
nategreat":2lud1dk1 said:

Whether we look at this issue from a religious perspective or a legal one...everyone is entitled to form an opinion one way or another, but that opinion should not be allowed to interfere with an individual's liberty to choose for themselves whether or not they wish to be married to the partner of their choosing. If you choose to abstain from gay marriage on the basis of religious belief and choose to teach your children to do the same, more power to you that is your choice, but at the point that choice is used to influence the legality of someone's right to the pursuit of happiness is where the line must be drawn. If you don't agree with it fine. You don't have to, but you do have to allow others the freedom to disagree and ultimately do what brings them joy in life. It is one of the principles that has governed this nation from its conception and one that has been conveniently overlooked in the name of religions freedom. One freedom cannot, must not outweigh the other.

Pretty much summed up my view on it without my douchiness.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Bakergirl":2uepfu47 said:

Incorrect. You obviously have never seen Sac pick up a bar of soap while slightly lathered in the shower.

Sac

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3p6hj51s said:
Bakergirl":3p6hj51s said:

Incorrect. You obviously have never seen Sac pick up a bar of soap while slightly lathered in the shower.

I had my shower lined with mirrors just so i could enjoy this experience myself!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
nategreat":3484fx03 said:

Actually his opinion is morally offensive to me. He wants to limit the civil rights of others, and as you said, it's likely on religious grounds. Considering we are a secular nation and our laws are not governed by a religion, I don't really care what his religion has taught him, if he is advocating that the religious ideology should impact legal rights.

And frankly, it is wrong. It's pathetic. It's bigotry against a minority. It is exactly what was said about mixed race marriages years ago. I'm not going to stand by and just act like that kind of archaic thinking is ok. I'm not going to agree to disagree with bigots.

Tell you what: I have yet to hear any reasonable example of a way in which legalized gay marriage will actually have a negative impact on a straight person's life. Give me one and I'll reconsider my stance. Telling me your religious ideals are offended does not cut it. I'm talking actual negative consequences affecting your life and liberty.

nategreat

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":tm4bm681 said:
Actually his opinion is morally offensive to me. He wants to limit the civil rights of others, and as you said, it's likely on religious grounds. Considering we are a secular nation and our laws are not governed by a religion, I don't really care what his religion has taught him, if he is advocating that the religious ideology should impact legal rights.

And frankly, it is wrong. It's pathetic. It's bigotry against a minority. It is exactly what was said about mixed race marriages years ago. I'm not going to stand by and just act like that kind of archaic thinking is ok. I'm not going to agree to disagree with bigots.

Tell you what: I have yet to hear any reasonable example of a way in which legalized gay marriage will actually have a negative impact on a straight person's life. Give me one and I'll reconsider my stance. Telling me your religious ideals are offended does not cut it. I'm talking actual negative consequences affecting your life and liberty.

To quote AP:

"I have relatives who are gay," Peterson said on Sirius/XM NFL radio, via NESN. "I'm not biased towards them. I still treat them the same. I love 'em. But again, I'm not with that. That's not something I believe in. But to each his own."

As he says, it's not something he believes in. He is not advocating to outlaw or ban it, or make it illegal. He is simply stating he does not believe in the idea of it. Two VERY different things. Like I've said, I personally don't believe in it either, but to each their own. People should have the choice to live how they want to live, to make their own decisions. I'm not advocating to make it illegal or anything. Again, big difference. I by no means think it effects my life or liberty. It doesn't. But there are a lot of things that don't, that I don't believe in. I am not going to vote for it, but I am also not going to vote against it. And I don't treat anybody any differently, just because of their sexual preference. Treat everyone well. That's an important point.

Sac

Reaction score
nategreat":1yy986wx said:
People should have the choice to live how they want to live, to make their own decisions......I am not going to vote for it, but I am also not going to vote against it.

If you really do believe that people should have the choice to live how they want to live and to make their own decisions then you should vote for it. Because as it is right now, and how some people are actively trying to keep it, there are some people who DO NOT HAVE the choice to live how they want to live.

nategreat

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3lb8dsf7 said:
nategreat":3lb8dsf7 said:
People should have the choice to live how they want to live, to make their own decisions......I am not going to vote for it, but I am also not going to vote against it.

If you really do believe that people should have the choice to live how they want to live and to make their own decisions then you should vote for it. Because as it is right now, and how some people are actively trying to keep it, there are some people who DO NOT HAVE the choice to live how they want to live.

A good point. Who knows. It's freedom vs. belief in this case. It's difficult to vote for an idea that you don't particularly agree with. But in America, the freedom to choose is important as well. It comes down to what I feel is more important, freedom from an American perspective, or belief from an ideological perspective.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
nategreat":3uo03f6z said:
SacHawk2.0":3uo03f6z said:
nategreat":3uo03f6z said:

A good point. Who knows. It's freedom vs. belief in this case. It's difficult to vote for an idea that you don't particularly agree with. But in America, the freedom to choose is important as well. It comes down to what I feel is more important, freedom from an American perspective, or belief from an ideological perspective.

I agree with sac. If it really doesn't affect you personally and you believe everyone should have the right to live their life the way they wish, then you should support the decision to grant them the legal right to make the choice in the first place. As it stands now they don't have the option. But that's just my two cents added to his.

HansGruber

Reaction score
nategreat":8n2q6t34 said:
look@dafilm":8n2q6t34 said:
Agreed. That type of thinking is what bugs the crap out of me about the whole gay "debate" issue: presenting both sides as equal. "well, I'll believe this...so you just have to respect that because I believe it! its no different than you believing that." Umm, yes it is. In America you are entitled to any opinion/belief you want, doesn't mean you aren't wrong. Thinking gay couples shouldn't be able to marry, or thinking gay people can't do this or that, because you don't like it is wrong.

It's a slippery slope. I don't support gay marriage, but in America, people have the right to choose. I believe in the right to choose. In terms of right or wrong, that's a whole different debate we won't get into. You're a Niner's fan though, so your opinion is understandable, what with all the gay people in San Francisco and everything. To each their own. It's hard to determine "right" and "wrong" when people base it off of different things. Religion, politics, etc. There will never be a universal right and wrong.

You should stop being a Seahawks fan. Seriously. What, with all the gay people in Seattle.

In fact, Paul Allen was a major supporter of the gay marriage bill in WA. So by cheering for the Seahawks and giving them money, you directly supported gay marriage rights. Congrats!! LOL.

nategreat

Reaction score
HansGruber":1hpwyqqa said:
You should stop being a Seahawks fan. Seriously. What, with all the gay people in Seattle.

In fact, Paul Allen was a major supporter of the gay marriage bill in WA. So by cheering for the Seahawks and giving them money, you directly supported gay marriage rights. Congrats!! LOL.

I don't care....

That's not the best logic, though. Either way, I don't really care. I'm indifferent about most of this. Let gay people get married, I don't mind at all. :thirishdrinkers:

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Even if the slippery slope argument weren't a load of biased nonsense, we would be seeing this slippery slope happening in the countries who have legalized same-sex marriage. The Netherlands legalized it in 2001, Belgium in 2003, Canada in 2005, etc. They haven't become suddenly compelled to legalized marriage for unnatural relationships like those with children, blood-related family members, animals, etc. Marriage didn't suddenly become meaningless for their citizens. The Almighty hasn't stuck them down either. All the fear mongering slippery slope propaganda was/is just that, propaganda.

nategreat

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":17z8i2nf said:
Even if the slippery slope argument weren't a load of biased nonsense, we would be seeing this slippery slope happening in the countries who have legalized same-sex marriage. The Netherlands legalized it in 2001, Belgium in 2003, Canada in 2005, etc. They haven't become suddenly compelled to legalized marriage for unnatural relationships like those with children, blood-related family members, animals, etc. Marriage didn't suddenly become meaningless for their citizens. The Almighty hasn't stuck them down either. All the fear mongering slippery slope propaganda was/is just that, propaganda.

If you're referring to MY use of the term "slippery slope," I apologize, I misused it. I didn't mean it in regards to any of those other forms of (no doubt about it) "wrong" marriages. I didn't mean it as the first step in a chain of ultimate events that are bound to eventually happen. Feel free to insert "It's a tossup" into the place of "It's a slippery slope." My mistake, that is definitely confusing.