Adrian Petterson

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Passepartout":1kzem0bc said:
Well that is Adrian's opinion. Just agree to disagree with it. If you do not agree with him. Respect it, if not like it.

I'll respect his opinion on gay marriage when he has a respectable opinion on gay marriage. There's no scientific basis for the discrimination against homosexuals. There's only the ignorance of cultural taboo and certain selective religious beliefs - neither of which have a place in a legitimate government or its legislation. We've been a nation for 237 years and we've been bigoted for all 237 of them. The sooner this stops the better.

hawker84

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":1srltbb1 said:
Passepartout":1srltbb1 said:
Well that is Adrian's opinion. Just agree to disagree with it. If you do not agree with him. Respect it, if not like it.

I'll respect his opinion on gay marriage when he has a respectable opinion on gay marriage. There's no scientific basis for the discrimination against homosexuals. There's only the ignorance of cultural taboo and certain selective religious beliefs - neither of which have a place in a legitimate government or its legislation. We've been a nation for 237 years and we've been bigoted for all 237 of them. The sooner this stops the better.

Or maybe he doesn't believe in gay marriage and he's entitled to his opinion, just as you are..

pehawk

Reaction score
The problem is douchebags actually CARE what people who's skill is either; running, throwing, jumping, catching opinions are. I'll never understand that.

Who cares....?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Pretty much what I was thinking. Myself I live and let live but I disagree with gay marriage. If I were an athlete I wouldn't take a stance given the phenomenon of political correctness that has pretty much ruined this country and the world in my opinion.

What makes a dude's opinion on a social/political issue who can run with a football really well anymore special than anybody's else's?

pehawk

Reaction score
Taking that even further, are we really surprised a man who sustains head-injuries for a living may be misinformed? Makes about as much sense as demanding these same men, who risk permanent brain-damage and extract violence upon others for a living, be choir boys off-the-field.

We are a bunch of phony douchebags, for sure.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":ambyu557 said:
Taking that even further, are we really surprised a man who sustains head-injuries for a living may be misinformed? Makes about as much sense as demanding these same men, who risk permanent brain-damage and extract violence upon others for a living, be choir boys off-the-field.

We are a bunch of phony douchebags, for sure.
You have to take into account the majority of NFL players do come from the Bible Belt so how can traditional beliefs not be a factor or surprise?

pehawk

Reaction score
Oh, I totally know that. It's a southern game. But, ya know, I understand that before acting "all up in arms" if one of them says something I disagree with.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
hawker84":2d3zuwiy said:
Or maybe he doesn't believe in gay marriage and he's entitled to his opinion, just as you are..

Yes, he's entitled to his opinion just as we're entitled to stating that the basis for his opinion and thus the opinion itself is wrong. We have freedom of speech to protect ourselves and our fellow upstanding citizens whether it's from a corrupt politician, a shady business, a mistaken average Joe, or even the social ignorance of the NFL's best RB. Start using it!

No one has to get "up in arms" but we do have to start identifying when and where we're getting things wrong. This week it's AP. Next week it'll be someone else.

pehawk

Reaction score
Why do we need to "identify" pro athletes? Their opinions are inconsequential to me, and yes, you.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
The perceived consequences and, more importantly, the perceived lack thereof is currently a completely subjective measurement. He may just be an athlete but he's currently among the most famous athletes playing in the NFL. The large amount of media coverage centered around football has given him a large platform to express his opinion and while people like you or I might not seemingly be directly affected by it or think much directly of it, there are still people who aren't so enlightened. Ideally he wouldn't even be asked this question or choose to answer it but he was and did elect to answer it. Unfortunately, he answered it ignorantly regardless of whether his occupation and/or cultural upbringing motivates him to do so. Ignorance isn't an excuse.

This, like my other posts here, is going to come off as something written with a much more serious tone than the topic seems to warrant but it's a concept that applies well beyond the opinion of AP, and it's a concept that can be potentially serious to someone somewhere even if we never become aware of it. For example, when newspapers report stories about automobile accidents, vehicular suicides increase slightly among their paper's demographic for several days. When newspapers report stories about gun violence, gun-related suicides increase slightly among their paper's demographic for several days.

What do you think could potentially happen among naive and impressionable young people who currently look up to AP as somewhat of a role-model when they hear him say in a nationally distributed story that he doesn't believe in gay marriage? I see a few days of kids who aren't even homosexual but perceived to be less masculine and thus the stereotype of homosexuality getting their asses kicked slightly more frequently and maybe even accidentally killed for being different. As someone in favor of the "land of the free" and equality talk in our country, this is a seed I don't want people in AP's position to plant, but it's going to keep happening until enough of our citizens state their opposition.

pehawk

Reaction score
I would blame the parents of any impressionable young person whom looks up to AP or a pro athlete. That's just bad parenting...especially if they look up to them without common sense.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Indeed but a parent's already difficult job might become a little easier if someone like AP is instead saying "I'm just an athlete. What would I know about today's social issues? Go interview a scientist!" Every little bit helps and some need a lot of help.

Sac

Reaction score
It's not an athletes job to make parents jobs easier. It's the parents job to make sure what an athlete says and does, outside of athletics themselves, doesn't negatively impact their child.

pehawk

Reaction score
If my daughter ever gets to a point where an actor/athlete's opinion is worth more than the strangers she sees at a gas station, I will have failed as a parent.

I just don't understand why anyone cares what AP thinks? I have no context.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1n0jzuhe said:
It's not an athletes job to make parents jobs easier. It's the parents job to make sure what an athlete says and does, outside of athletics themselves, doesn't negatively impact their child.

That entirely depends on your perspective and how selfishly or selflessly motivated you are as a person. If you saw someone else's kid drowning in a river, you wouldn't say that it isn't your job to help him or her. You'd be much more empathetic and do the hero thing to the best of your ability whether that meant getting help, tossing a rope, or diving straight into the river yourself. AP is in a similar position with less direct but broader ways to help or hurt people. I don't think he nor many of us are aware of it though, and that's got to change. First step to solving a problem is admitting we have one.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
pehawk":3t2lyo74 said:
If my daughter ever gets to a point where an actor/athlete's opinion is worth more than the strangers she sees at a gas station, I will have failed as a parent.

I just don't understand why anyone cares what AP thinks? I have no context.

And I thought you were a true fan.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":333q6g6j said:
RichNhansom":333q6g6j said:
So where does everyone stand on poligamy? Or cousins marrying? What about a brother and sister?

Isn't marriage a religious union?

The more I think about this the more I'm against it. I really don't see any legal benefit so it must be about changing religion or public opinion. Why do you care what someone else thinks if they aren't doing you any harm? Why not just start your ownreligion?

2 things you do not understand: 1) Homosexuality is not choice for the vast majority of homosexuals, and 2) Marriage is a legal union, which confers numerous legal and emotional benefits on the partners.

Your way of thinking is outdated, and I am happy to say that the tide is finally turning against this type of bigotry.

Oh, and to the post at hand, Peterson said that NFL players were treated like slaves during the lockout. Not sure he is a very insightful source for social commentary.

So now I'm a bigiot?

Let's recap what I have said: I personally could care less either way
gay boy scout troop leaders., Should they be troop leaders? Absolutely if they are as qualified as anyone else but just like if they were straight, it should never be even an after thought as far as the kids are concerned.
Personally I could care less about the gay marriage issue
You really shouldn't have a problem with someone who chooses to not endorse the gay lifestyle as long as they are not doing the opposite either.

I also said if my best friend came out of the closet it wouldn't change our friendship or if my kids said he/she was gay I wouldn't feel any different about them.

The argument that gay is not a lifestyle but is something you are born with is completely unproven and that I am aware of humans are the only species on earth that share this lifestyle. There is no proof that something in someones growing up didn't affect or influence that person. You and angrybird are making up a strawman argument to support your lifestyle. There are arguments that support both beliefs but no solid proof of any kind.

I'm not sure why you want to insult others that really shouldn't be a threat to you. What is it you need everyone to do to not be bigots? Do we need to join every gay pride parade or are we actually required to be involved in homosexual acts so that we can make a fair assessment of it all?

Don't paint the gay society as being completely innocent either. I have had multiple situations through my life where gay men tried to coax me into trying their lifestyle all the way back to when I was eleven years old and one time I woke up as a man was trying to undo my pants while I was passed out drunk. So get off your high horse and be thankful that even though I have had some bad experiences I do my best not to influence others opinion one way or another and I don't hold my past experiences against all gays.

By the way, the term bigot refers to intolerance and you and angrybird have displayed way more intolerance to others that don't share your opinion than any other poster here. Guess what, that makes you the bigot.

Sac

Reaction score
Dude. First of all, every mammal species on the face of the earth engages in homosexual behavior, there is an abundance videos available for you to see for yourself. They're on YouTube.

Secondly, what the hell were you doing passed out drunk at eleven years old?

Third, you're confusing pedophilia for homosexuality. They are not the same.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
hawker84":p1s53wsw said:
BirdsCommaAngry":p1s53wsw said:
Passepartout":p1s53wsw said:

lol, so much for the lost art of reasoning. he's entitled to be as wrong as he wants to be, I just don't have to (speaking for many in this case) put it on equal footing with well thought out opinions. it isn't a gray area...50/50 sort of deal. I have not heard on coherent argument against gays getting married other than

1) its icky and I don't like it/want to think about it/see it
2) if we allow it don't we have to allow marriage to cousins/babies/dogs/lamps

both are incredibly dumb.

and, this isn't directed at you, but one cannot just qualify themselves by saying "I'm not a bigot" and then proceed to say something bigoted. saying the words doesn't take away from you embodying the very definition of a bigot.

Latest posts