After thinking about it?

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
None of it makes any difference... every NFL team has massive talent to win it all... it just comes down to scheme, coaching and health...

Am i wrong?

Probablyvwouldnt be the first time!!

AgentDib

Reaction score
The talent gap is very small in the NFL due to the fixed salary cap. The only way to beat it is to invest heavily in the draft. The rookie wage scale limits what you have to pay players on their first contract and so you can fit more talent in under the same total. Just compare how much talent we fit onto the 2013 Seahawks roster to the 2019 team that had been draft capital starved for a few years for an obvious example.

Of course scheme and coaching matter too, which is why some of the best teams are those who went through turmoil and received good draft picks, then a new coaching staff came on to that young team and led the revamped roster to success.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
None of it makes any difference... every NFL team has massive talent to win it all... it just comes down to scheme, coaching and health...

Am i wrong?

Probablyvwouldnt be the first time!!
LOLOL Sure, we can compare Teddy Bridgewater to Tom Brady, Both in their prime as only being a smidge of differences between them.
I guarantee y'all that McVay would not have gotten the same results with Bruce Irvin that he'd gotten with Aaron Donald.
There are always going to be extenuating circumstances that can and do come into play, but you ain't gonna win the Kentucky Derby with a Shetland pony running against a bunch of thoroughbred Horses.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Young talent on their rookie deals, like AgentDib put it, is huge.

I would add to the OPs idea that scheme fit is even more important. We saw how this defense looked switching to a 3-4 last year. A lot of the players on the roster didn't fit the new defensive scheme.

Adding to that, player chemistry. How will these guys play together on the field? The LOB had such amazing chemistry, they knew where the other D back was going to be, and they played like a well oiled machine. Also, if they get along in the locker room/off the field, it will make it much easier for them to communicate amongst themselves and be a more cohesive unit in general.

Coaching is definitely important as well. I think our issue last year on defense was the coaches not putting players in a position to succeed. When players are consistently looking around after a big chunk play with a confused expression on their faces, that tells me that the coaches aren't effectively communicating to the players, causing the players to not communicate amongst themselves.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
LOLOL Sure, we can compare Teddy Bridgewater to Tom Brady, Both in their prime as only being a smidge of differences between them.
I guarantee y'all that McVay would not have gotten the same results with Bruce Irvin that he'd gotten with Aaron Donald.
There are always going to be extenuating circumstances that can and do come into play, but you ain't gonna win the Kentucky Derby with a Shetland pony running against a bunch of thoroughbred Horses.

wow wtf? scutterhawk actually made a good point. 🤣🤣 guess even a broken clock is right twice a day

that being said clint hurtt has done nothing but show he's trash DC, and a upgrade at DC is definitely warranted.