Agent: Jalen Carter to visit only teams with top-10 pick

CactusJack

Reaction score
I just can't reconcile highlight videos like this, with his complete lack of production. He averages a sack every 4 games and less than 1 TFL per game. If he is that dominant and always winnings why is he not having a bigger impact on the game? Also, why was he nearly washed out in the playoffs? Something just doesn't add up.
You have Football analysts, who study prospects & watch film, literally tell you that the guy is a great Football player. Not one, or two. But it's fairly consensus among most.

My advice would be to watch games of Georgia & to key-in on him specifically. It doesn't take long to realize that he had an impact on that defense.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
You have Football analysts, who study prospects & watch film, literally tell you that the guy is a great Football player. Not one, or two. But it's fairly consensus among most.

My advice would be to watch games of Georgia & to key-in on him specifically. It doesn't take long to realize that he had an impact on that defense.

Thanks for sharing CactusJack. While watching the videos, I was also trying to see if Nolan Smith showed up for someone who was straight line fast, I didn't see him much around the ball. In that first video vs Oregon, there were some serious yards made on runs and middle passes. The area I would think Smith would excel in.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing CactusJack. While watching the videos, I was also trying to see if Nolan Smith showed up for someone who was straight line fast, I didn't see him much around the ball. In that first video vs Oregon, there were some serious yards made on runs and middle passes. The area I would think Smith would excel in.
No problem.

Nolan got hurt & maybe only played in a handful of games last year. He's a good player. A little raw as a pass rusher.

JPatera76

Reaction score
hmm.. i don't dislike him, but imo and to my eyes... leaves a lot to be desired. 2nd half of that Oregon game looked winded and washed himself out of plays even when not double teamed. His hand work throughout the game left a lot to be desired as well.. if anything I see a strong kid with a LOT of potential, who can be a star with the right strength AND CONDITIONING coached and staff.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I know a lot's been made about his stamina, and he's played about 400 snaps over 14 games the last two years (29/game). Last year our DTs played about 600/19 (32/game) and our DEs a bit less (Harris 593, Taylor 504, Mafe 453), so I don't know that it's as big a deal as people make it.

At his pro day the first coach made it a point to run him into the ground, so the clips of him dying at the end didn't tell the whole story.

Idk. I keep reading that it's going to either be Carter or Richardson; THE two highest risk vs reward players in the draft. I've made my peace with either and if our #5 busts, I still think we'll have a contender based on our current roster and the draft undercard (20+) alone.

massari

Reaction score
At his pro day the first coach made it a point to run him into the ground, so the clips of him dying at the end didn't tell the whole story.

Todd McShay- "I haven't even heard of a player not being able to finish drills. He didn't test either. He didn't run a 40, he didn't do the jumps, the 3 cone, the short shuttle and all that other stuff that guys do before they do their position drills. So he came in fresh and still couldn't finish.

He didn't do any other testing, and still couldn't finish the drills.

And his head coach has been vocal about his conditioning for at least a couple of seasons, and wanting him to step up as a leader. Huge red flag that he's been unable to improve this despite having this issue for multiple years.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
He didn't do any other testing, and still couldn't finish the drills.
Not to mention he looked slow and disinterested on the very first drill. No way to spin this session as anything but a complete disaster.

Originally I opposed drafting Carter @5 based on lack of production, play time, and conditioning. The more I hear chatter about skipping practices and copping attitude to coaches, the more I’m convinced he should be completely off the board.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I agree, but I don't think you can teach commitment. Either you have it or you don't.
LOLOL Here's another possible school of thought on the "Commitment" angle; MONEY..I mean he didn't get paid a crapload of it in College like he will in the PRO'S.
Money can play a huge part in energizing Drive & Commitment.
Playing devils advocate here, there's a possibility that his being rotated in & out a lot, he likely wouldn't take the Conditioning gig too seriously...All that is going to need to change when he gets Drafted, and it's possible that he's quite aware of it by now, especially after interviews by the teams that he's visited or visiting..Money does do a good job of greasing the wheels ;-)

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
LOLOL Here's another possible school of thought on the "Commitment" angle; MONEY..I mean he didn't get paid a crapload of it in College like he will in the PRO'S.
Money can play a huge part in energizing Drive & Commitment.
Playing devils advocate here, there's a possibility that his being rotated in & out a lot, he likely wouldn't take the Conditioning gig too seriously...All that is going to need to change when he gets Drafted, and it's possible that he's quite aware of it by now, especially after interviews by the teams that he's visited or visiting..Money does do a good job of greasing the wheels ;-)
Technically, Carter has already made 7 figures in NIL deals in college, so he's already made some good money.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Not sure about anyone else, but I'm currently 60/40 on Carter. Was 50/50 a week or so ago.
You got to ask, what's the alternative? If they decide to pass on Carter.

It sounds like the Texans plan on taking Anderson. So what does that leave you with? Tyree Wilson? Devon Witherspoon? I like both. But neither is as good a prospect. So that's what you also have to consider. If I pass on Carter, am I going to get someone as good or impactful?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You got to ask, what's the alternative? If they decide to pass on Carter.

It sounds like the Texans plan on taking Anderson. So what does that leave you with? Tyree Wilson? Devon Witherspoon? I like both. But neither is as good a prospect. So that's what you also have to consider. If I pass on Carter, am I going to get someone as good or impactful?
Wha? Tyree Wilson is a hell of a player. Would people be angry if they took him? I certainly wouldn't.
Come to think of it, dumb question on my part. People are going to be mad no matter WHO they take. Well, other than Anderson, which is a pipe dream anyway.

GemCity

Reaction score
Without the stats, without the incident, without the work ethic rumors going around, he’s a sure-shot pick worthy of being selected anywhere from 1-3…1-5….he wouldn’t last long.

He may be worth the risk. If PC and JS take him, I’ll assume he is as they’ve surely done their homework.

But……where there’s smoke, there’s fire. I imagine that we are one of a handful of teams that have been bit recently by selecting a guy, particularly D-linemen, that had “attachments” pre-draft.

Personally, just based off conjecture, I’m passing and grabbing Richardson at 5. Huge risk…bigger reward and the only questions he has attached to him are mechanics and fundamentals. I know I can work on those with the amount of time I’d have before him seeing the field.

But if you take a guy that doesn’t love the game or is having work ethic issues, it doesn’t matter how dominant they are when they’re on the field. It will come back to haunt you.

I say conjecture….but even with the incident he was involved in, I don’t see how a top tier pick doesn’t want to tear up the combine and/or comes in heavier and out of shape at his own Pro-Day. Most of those kids work their asses off for those events…even more so than what they did in school.

I have sympathy for the situation he was in and can’t imagine loosing friends in something where I was a participant doing dumb stuff.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t flags though…

CactusJack

Reaction score
Wha? Tyree Wilson is a hell of a player. Would people be angry if they took him? I certainly wouldn't.
Come to think of it, dumb question on my part. People are going to be mad no matter WHO they take. Well, other than Anderson, which is a pipe dream anyway.
Based on some of the responses on this forum, absolutely.

People seem to be split on him.

Fwiw, I like him. But for me, Carter is far & away the #1 guy.

Anderson is a little overrated imo. The gap between Wilson & him is very close though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. Should he one hell of an interesting draft. Esp. the 1st round.

I feel like with every day, I'm leaning more towards wanting them to take Carter IF he's available. About 65/35 for it right now.

Latest posts