Alex Collins

McGruff

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":e1rc2agq said:
Maurice Morris had some good tape against 5th string guys too.

yay.

Maurice Morris also had a 10 year NFL career. You acT like he was Jesse Lumsden. The Alex Collins pick would be an absolute steal if he had a Maurice Morris career.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Collins > Pope. Collins has so much more upside. Plus, with how much Pete loves backs who can pass protect, he has that in his favor. He really does have blitz pickup chops. I really think pope is a preseason wonder. No way we get two Thomas Rawls two years in a row.

nanomoz

Reaction score
McGruff":1aftnzo2 said:
TwistedHusky":1aftnzo2 said:
Maurice Morris had some good tape against 5th string guys too.

yay.

Maurice Morris also had a 10 year NFL career. You acT like he was Jesse Lumsden. The Alex Collins pick would be an absolute steal if he had a Maurice Morris career.

I thought that was a silly comment as well. If Collins' career is anything like Mo's, that's a very good 5th-round draft pick.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2jf70w7s said:
l2SpZbGFljOdhGbQs.gif
Is this gif supposed to be impressive?

Rawls, C-Mike, and Pope would of bounced it outside after clearing the hole much faster, and got more yards. Collins was trying to do that, but he wasn't fast enough so he just fell forward.

He took so long hitting the hole, a good block by Lawler was almost wasted, and tackled at the LOS.

ACFan

Reaction score
Fade":2006jecl said:
hawknation2016":2006jecl said:

Rawls, C-Mike, and Pope would of bounced it outside after clearing the hole much faster, and got more yards. Collins was trying to do that, but he wasn't fast enough so he just fell forward.

He took so long hitting the hole, unnecessarily hesitating, a good block by Lawler was almost wasted, and tackled at the LOS. He has a horrible habit of unnecessary steps (dancing) that will have to be coached out of him.

are you saying you think that play was designed to go left?

Looks like everyone is blocking right to me, if he takes that as fast as he can, to where it looks like the play is designed to go, looks like he'd run into the line for maybe two yards.

It looks like he recognises that, and the slight hesitation creates a cutback lane to the left.

notice the acceleration once that lane opens.

My take is just different from yours, I think there is a good chance C-Mike would just stick to where the play was designed to go, and get 3 yards at most.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At some point, you have to realize that while Collins could turn into (at best) Maurice Morris. Maurice Morris was an average NFL back.

Is the roster slot for an average NFL back worth it when you can just get them in FA for peanuts or even pick up one on the waiver wire?

And that is the upside, which isn't considering he is too slow not developed enough to even contribute this year. In a game, against a real defense, I doubt he gets more than 3 yds and I am betting with our line he stands a better chance of barely getting 2.

On a goal line? Well he takes too long to get up to speed so he doesn't look like he can penetrate for crap. But if the entire defense leaves one side of the field open he gets you 15.

Admittedly, Procise probably does worse, but when we really need to keep guys to contribute THIS year I am not clear the upside on keeping a complete non-factor. I guess he can carry the luggage for the rest of the team but he isn't going to be doing anything on Sundays.

Look Christine Michael took several years to get better and seems to have. So I am not saying it is not possible. But it ain't happening this year and we kind of need guys that can do something for the team this year. Guys that take 3 years to turn into a crappier Turbin or maybe if lucky another Maurice Morris aren't going to be worth the risk.

I am sure he is a nice guy. But he brings nothing to the table except chance of maybe, someday becoming absolutely average.

again, yay.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Fade":2pfqtfam said:
hawknation2016":2pfqtfam said:

He took so long hitting the hole, a good block by Lawler was almost wasted, and tackled at the LOS.

LOL

:2thumbs:

Fade

Reaction score
The play wasn't designed to go right. The line was down blocking. 2 hole or 4 hole run.

LOL at you guys.

Tical21

Reaction score
Fade":11akw7yj said:
The play wasn't designed to go right. The line was down blocking. 2 hole or 4 hole run.

LOL at you guys.
The left is odd numbers but yeah, it was designed to go left.

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":j5iubsf0 said:
Fade":j5iubsf0 said:

LOL at you guys.
The left is odd numbers but yeah, it was designed to go left.

I always get that backwards. :D

Pope is more impressive. On a play where he had run to a hole where it wasn't designed to go. Notice how he doesn't dance he just goes. He then finishes the run by carrying a DT on his back for 3 yards. Collins would of been caught in the backfield for TFL.

https://streamable.com/ueqg?t=7.2

ivotuk

Reaction score
Remember the Cleveland game when Lynch was out and we had Justin Forsett? They drafted Turbin because of that game.

Pope is an interesting guy, but put him in against a good run defense like Cleveland had, and he goes nowhere. Not enough power.

Alex Collins has the kind of power a team needs to run against the better run defenses. He proved that all 3 years in the SEC.

Everybodie's enthralled with our middle blocking, but remember, this is preseason, and during the regular season, we're going to need a power back that hammer it home against big DTs.

I'm not sure why Alex Collins is always the forgotten back, maybe he's quiet? Maybe he's laid back, or maybe coaches see a big back and expect elite back yardage, but AC's not that. He's that dependable running back that's going to perform, day in and day out. He'll keep you on schedule, get those tough short yardage 1st downs and Goal Line touchdowns, and he'll continue to be anonymous.

But you don't cut him for a preseason, 3rd string flash in the pan. Pope has talent and potential, but he's a long way from being a starting, or even 2nd string running back in the NFL.

Fade

Reaction score
ivotuk":pc5ljit5 said:
Remember the Cleveland game when Lynch was out and we had Justin Forsett? They drafted Turbin because of that game.

Pope is an interesting guy, but put him in against a good run defense like Cleveland had, and he goes nowhere. Not enough power.

Alex Collins has the kind of power a team needs to run against the better run defenses. He proved that all 3 years in the SEC.

Everybodie's enthralled with our middle blocking, but remember, this is preseason, and during the regular season, we're going to need a power back that hammer it home against big DTs.

I'm not sure why Alex Collins is always the forgotten back, maybe he's quiet? Maybe he's laid back, or maybe coaches see a big back and expect elite back yardage, but AC's not that. He's that dependable running back that's going to perform, day in and day out. He'll keep you on schedule, get those tough short yardage 1st downs and Goal Line touchdowns, and he'll continue to be anonymous.

But you don't cut him for a preseason, 3rd string flash in the pan. Pope has talent and potential, but he's a long way from being a starting, or even 2nd string running back in the NFL.

I love your posts Ivotuk.

What do you think of this play by Pope?

https://streamable.com/ueqg?t=2.5

I see excellent vision, sick burst, and excellent pad level & power to finish the run. The more I see him play, he is starting to remind me of Rawls stylistically.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Collins vs Pope. It's Pope based on production.
Collins vs. Prosise. Collins based on production.
Pope vs. Prosise. No question that Pope produced more. I think this is the real battle because Pope can also do the things Prosise can. Collins adds a different value to Pope/Prosise.

If Pete sticks to his ComPETE philosophy. Based on what I observed, then the clear choice not to make the roster is Prosise based on production.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Prosise is a lock to make the team and that doesn't mean Pete's message isnt true. Prosise got a late start but they drafted him for a reason in the 3rd round and his role is basically set as a third down, empty backfield type of player. He is making the team.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2016":ua9w7lju said:
TwistedHusky":ua9w7lju said:
I doubt it.

The thing I hate about him is how close his feet are when he runs. Ruins your base and makes you fall with contact.

I just don't see him being a serviceable back. He does the other stuff, but your job as RB is to run the ball against an NFL caliber defense and he isn't going to be able to do that.

If we get him on the PS and work with him on his base, maybe, but how many years of crappy Turbin did we suffer through before we just got not-crappy Turbin? (stepping on snakes...). It isn't overnight and with the lack of surplus roster slots it isn't worth the wait.

He falls over too easily, doesn't run with enough power, and yesterday was one of his better games. He doesn't even have good games to fall back on.

I just don't think he will amount to anything during this year, not saying he cannot be better later - but if someone goes down he is a liability not an asset. So he needs to be on a PS to develop.

He isn't ready and he has to change a LOT of his style to be ready, if ever.

Man, you're really reaching here. Collins' wide running base was one of the things that stood out in college and drew comparisons to Marshawn Lynch. His legs do appear to be uncharacteristically close together in the above clip, but that is BEFORE he breaks through the hole. Keeping his feet close together in the backfield actually allows him to avoid tipping his hand to defense before he has committed to the hole. Once Collins accelerates, he does a great job staying low and keeping a wide base. His wide running base gives him the balance to step over the arm tackle once he is through the hole.

l2SpZbGFljOdhGbQs.gif

Excellent observations HN2106. When I rewatched that, I really did see him widen his base once through the LOS. The one thing I didn't like was he took a couple of unnecessary stutter or read steps before he cut for the hole. Rawls, Michael and Pope all stick that right foot in the ground and are gone. If he had done that, he's getting by that LBer (50) and getting the 1st down easily. I'm guessing it's something they think he can work on.

I honestly think Pope outplayed Collins. I have no real bias here, as I actually was excited by the Collins pick in the 5th round, especially after I saw his tape. I'm guessing the coaching staff thinks he has a higher ceiling than Pope does.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1zev54bd said:
Nice job following his blockers here. Beautiful blocks by Hunt, Odhiambo, and Brandon Williams. Wow.

l3vRaiGO8TvnYHL68.gif

If Collins can get it together against starting caliber defense talent in the NFL, this is the quintessential run we're going to see him performing a lot. He's going to be the king of 8-15 yard runs. I don't see him breaking long ones very much, but he'll reliably move the chains and wear a defense down.

Largent80

Reaction score
Collins is just another boring RB in the NFL. Pope kicked his ass in the pre season and even runs kickoffs back....SMH J.S. and Pete.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Collins will never be anything but average... if that.

#barelyaverage

#wastedrosterslot

Fade

Reaction score
I'm sad Pope didn't make the team, and I hope Collins can show more next pre-season.

Latest posts