Alex Collins

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Jville":x6cwo8fs said:
Russ Willstrong":x6cwo8fs said:
Yep. Tanner also decleated a defender on Brandon Williams catch. Playmaker with limited PT. ;)

Passing to a blocking tight end while getting a big block from a hybrid receiver is so ...... Seahawk-ish.

Meanwhile, I remain patient with Collins
Right. Seahawk plays are genius at times and maddening at other times?
I feel bad for AC who must feel so much pressure to perform because everyone compares him to Lynch and on top of that he's getting few reps with this talented stable of backs.

ACFan

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":5cnlklk4 said:
I feel bad for AC who must feel so much pressure to perform because everyone compares him to Lynch and on top of that he's getting few reps with this talented stable of backs.

He'll make it somewhere, too much talent.

I hope it will be here and I think it will be. I predict:

1.Rawls
2.C-Mike
3.Prosise
4.Collins
PS-Pope

Wouldn't be shocked to see C-Mike start the opener or at least split 50% of the carries. It may take time for Rawls to really establish he's back. Even when not coming back from injury, it's tough to go from little contact to regular season.

Top questions I'd have for this group are: 1) how long till Rawls is back to 2015 form? 2) what is C-Mike's true ceiling? 3) is it higher than CJ's or AC's ceiling once they are fully acclimated to the NFL?

chris98251

Reaction score
ACFan":2jsz7w4z said:
Russ Willstrong":2jsz7w4z said:

He'll make it somewhere, too much talent.

I hope it will be here and I think it will be. I predict:

1.Rawls
2.C-Mike
3.Prosise
4.Collins
PS-Pope

Wouldn't be shocked to see C-Mike start the opener or at least split 50% of the carries. It may take time for Rawls to really establish he's back. Even when not coming back from injury, it's tough to go from little contact to regular season.

Top questions I'd have for this group are: 1) how long till Rawls is back to 2015 form? 2) what is C-Mike's true ceiling? 3) is it higher than CJ's or AC's ceiling once they are fully acclimated to the NFL?

If C Mike put it all together he could be Hershel Walker like but with better receiving hands. He has size and the speed.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Nice job following his blockers here. Beautiful blocks by Hunt, Odhiambo, and Brandon Williams. Wow.

l3vRaiGO8TvnYHL68.gif

hawknation2016

Reaction score
L2SpPurUSRqdqg2Pu

Sweet blitz pickup by Collins. He is probably the most solid pass blocking back on the roster right now. If not Collins, we may need to use Williams to block in the backfield on 3rd downs. Prosise and Pope do not even try to block, and Rawls/Michael are subpar pass blockers.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Thanks for those replays - very impressive by AC.

A 'slow first gear' - wth are some here smoking?

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Another "textbook" pickup by Collins:
L2SpWPhaXIUWpk796

Note: Blatant false start by Fant went unflagged.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2vot66ce said:
Thanks for those replays - very impressive by AC.

A 'slow first gear' - wth are some here smoking?

I think people are just viewing it through the prism of a Collins vs. Pope rivalry, even though they are different players, with distinct skill sets, filling separate roles. There are natural fan instincts to root for the undrafted underdog and the more flashy back.

Collins had a very nice game, but reading this board, you would think he played like absolute crapola. For example, he showed enough of a first gear to turn the corner on this play:

3o6ZtjrKgXoDwbWEUM.gif

hawknation2016

Reaction score
This was one of my favorite runs of the game: patient, explosive through the hole, good balance to withstand the arm tackle, and finishes with power:
l2SpZbGFljOdhGbQs.gif

Nice blocks by Sommers, Lawler, and Odhiambo. It was an impressive all-around showing by little-known Sommers.

The patience on his short-TD run was also picturesque. I guarantee Prosise, Pope, and the old Michael would have tried to kick this run outside, and may have been stopped by the containing LB, rather than follow their blockers. Collins shows enough patience to stay with his blockers, to square up his body and get low, and to allow the hole to open up inside. That's how you score a goal line TD in the NFL vs. the panicked, outside kickouts that work only at the college level.

3o6ZsUltvgcKQQ8Mdq

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maurice Morris had some good tape against 5th string guys too.

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

Are you saying you honestly believe he can be a better than average NFL back against NFL talent?

Because that isn't happening. And I am not sure how 'he finishes with power' appeared in your analysis since he seems to run with very little power.

But in the other example you gave, yes, if the other team leaves one entire half of the field undefended....he can get 15 to 20 yards.

yay.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2go6cpdl said:
Maurice Morris had some good tape against 5th string guys too.

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

Are you saying you honestly believe he can be a better than average NFL back against NFL talent?

Because that isn't happening. And I am not sure how 'he finishes with power' appeared in your analysis since he seems to run with very little power.

But in the other example you gave, yes, if the other team leaves one entire half of the field undefended....he can get 15 to 20 yards.

yay.

Again, I think your analysis is obscured by the misplaced Pope vs. Collins rivalry. Without Pope, you would view Collins' play more objectively, IMO. It's about vision, patience, balance, and blocking. I have not been much of a Collins fan (and do actually prefer Pope's raw explosiveness), but those are the underrated characteristics that a back needs at this level.

l2SpZbGFljOdhGbQs.gif

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I doubt it.

The thing I hate about him is how close his feet are when he runs. Ruins your base and makes you fall with contact.

I just don't see him being a serviceable back. He does the other stuff, but your job as RB is to run the ball against an NFL caliber defense and he isn't going to be able to do that.

If we get him on the PS and work with him on his base, maybe, but how many years of crappy Turbin did we suffer through before we just got not-crappy Turbin? (stepping on snakes...). It isn't overnight and with the lack of surplus roster slots it isn't worth the wait.

He falls over too easily, doesn't run with enough power, and yesterday was one of his better games. He doesn't even have good games to fall back on.

I just don't think he will amount to anything during this year, not saying he cannot be better later - but if someone goes down he is a liability not an asset. So he needs to be on a PS to develop.

He isn't ready and he has to change a LOT of his style to be ready, if ever.

* PS you call it patience, but he does that in every run. His first few steps are SLOW. That is another problem, he is either hesitant or slow. Both suck.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
More good replays there, thanks again and how do you make those?

AC has a highlight reel 3 f'ing miles long against Big Time defenses.

Nothing against Pope but AC is an absolute stud. He's also smart, articulate, and an obvious leader already if you look at how guys gather around him in any sideline video you can see as opposed to him moving anywhere for teammate interaction.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1d8r1y9b said:
I doubt it.

The thing I hate about him is how close his feet are when he runs. Ruins your base and makes you fall with contact.

I just don't see him being a serviceable back. He does the other stuff, but your job as RB is to run the ball against an NFL caliber defense and he isn't going to be able to do that.

If we get him on the PS and work with him on his base, maybe, but how many years of crappy Turbin did we suffer through before we just got not-crappy Turbin? (stepping on snakes...). It isn't overnight and with the lack of surplus roster slots it isn't worth the wait.

He falls over too easily, doesn't run with enough power, and yesterday was one of his better games. He doesn't even have good games to fall back on.

I just don't think he will amount to anything during this year, not saying he cannot be better later - but if someone goes down he is a liability not an asset. So he needs to be on a PS to develop.

Man, you're really reaching here. Collins' wide running base was one of the things that stood out in college and drew comparisons to Marshawn Lynch. His legs do appear to be uncharacteristically close together in the above clip, but that is BEFORE he breaks through the hole. Keeping his feet close together in the backfield actually allows him to avoid tipping his hand to defense before he has committed to the hole. Once Collins accelerates, he does a great job staying low and keeping a wide base. His wide running base gives him the balance to step over the arm tackle once he is through the hole.

l2SpZbGFljOdhGbQs.gif

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That clip is something you just showed.

I didn't start disliking him then.

At first, he was injured. So I kind of gave him a pass.

But then I looked at how he runs and I just didn't like it. I don't care if his college tape he ran differently, that isn't how he is doing it now and it isn't the one gif clip that led me to that conclusion.

I hate how he runs, I like the other stuff but as a RUNNING back you need to be able to run the ball and he sucks at that.

Or he doesn't so much suck, as look incredibly average. Which might be worse. Because at least you cut the guy that sucks. We might lose someone we need like Lambert to keep a guy that might never contribute.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2thvshni said:
That clip is something you just showed.

I didn't start disliking him then.

At first, he was injured. So I kind of gave him a pass.

But then I looked at how he runs and I just didn't like it. I don't care if his college tape he ran differently, that isn't how he is doing it now and it isn't the one gif clip that led me to that conclusion.

I hate how he runs, I like the other stuff but as a RUNNING back you need to be able to run the ball and he sucks at that.

Or he doesn't so much suck, as look incredibly average. Which might be worse. Because at least you cut the guy that sucks. We might lose someone we need like Lambert to keep a guy that might never contribute.

l2SpZbGFljOdhGbQs.gif

I'm just saying I think I know why THIS clip is eliciting the above vitriol: objective vs. subjective analysis, due to wanting Pope on the roster. The anti-Collins crusaders should take a step back and attempt to be objective.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1rhislfl said:
I doubt it.

* PS you call it patience, but he does that in every run. His first few steps are SLOW. That is another problem, he is either hesitant or slow. Both suck.

While all the above may be true....Collins has shown more than Procise has this preseason. No, they aren't the same type of backs but by your definition of a "running back", Collins has ran better and more than Procise has.

ACFan

Reaction score
You are the man HawkNation! thanks for putting those gifs in the thread.

I know I may be irrationally pro AC, but I have felt others may be irrationally anti AC.

Glad to see others agreeing with a lot of the assessments I've also made, with the videos to back it up.

hawknation2016":3dudk5i4 said:
The patience on his short-TD run was also picturesque. I guarantee Prosise, Pope, and the old Michael would have tried to kick this run outside, and may have been stopped by the containing LB, rather than follow their blockers. Collins shows enough patience to stay with his blockers, to square up his body and get low, and to allow the hole to open up inside. That's how you score a goal line TD in the NFL vs. the panicked, outside kickouts that work only at the college level.

3o6ZsUltvgcKQQ8Mdq

Yes, completely agree. I know that "power back" is the first label most fans want to stick on AC, but I've watched him for 3 years, "smart" is the first adjective that comes to my mind, followed closely by "controlled". He was showing that exact same kind of patience at 18 believe it or not.

hawknation2016":3dudk5i4 said:
This was one of my favorite runs of the game: patient, explosive through the hole, good balance to withstand the arm tackle, and finishes with power:
L2SpZbGFljOdhGbQs

I have to agree, I don't think the play was designed to go that side. "vision" and "instincts" are the next two words I'd use to describe AC, and you see it here. He sensed that is where the hole would be, and with an oh so subtle hanging hesitation, he cuts in that direction.

if that gif would carry out a few more frames, you'd also see him pop back up off the ground like he was PO'd, haha. Some have said Pope ran hungry, I think Collins is pretty hungry too.

PASS PROTECTION

L2SpPurUSRqdqg2Pu

Arkansas was actually a pass first team last year, AC had years of pass protection experience against top tier college defenses, did an excellent job at it. that has to help at the next level.

Last two adjectives:

L3vRaiGO8TvnYHL68

POWER

3o6ZtjrKgXoDwbWEUM

QUICKNESS

Smart, controlled, vision, instincts, power, quickness.

Last comments on AC, I've got to get ready for the Razorback game tomorrow.

He's played more RB than anyone else on the roster, in most cases, a LOT more.
He has been hurt less than other RB on the roster, in most cases, a LOT less.
Never missed a game due to injury in 5 years at RB.

He is just going to get better and better folks, he will produce in this league for a long time.