Alex Collins

ACFan

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":kkgm3br7 said:
its way too early to write off collins.

1st, cable and co ask a LOT from our running backs mentally, in terms of hitting the correct hole every time (ofc the hole 1/2 the time isnt where it should be), protection/blocking, receiving out of the backfield (of which ac wasnt asked to do in college) along with numerous other details to the position. it is why michael, with all his talent, has barely sniffed game action and has been cut/traded 3 times thus far into his career. take into consideration that ac might be overthinking everything, at a position that really should requires more rapid intuition > thinking.

it honestly looks like hes a step slow, hesitant right now. as time goes on and he gets all the necessary reps/confidence, the game should slow down for him and then he will be more effective, decisive. he was a decisive runner in college. what i want to see on this level is toughness, if he brings the pain, punishes defenders, finishes runs, keeps churning, gets stronger as the game goes on, etc in the same stratosphere as marshawn/ivory. we know already that he doesnt have the explosion of rawls or michael, we knew that predraft from college tape, 40 time, etc. once given adequate time, we will know if everything else comes together. those of you that expected him as starting-caliber back, with explosive runs, ability to compensate for poor oline play, or all around decisiveness/effectiveness out the gates were sadly mistaken, and that is your fault.

all this being said, CANT WAIT to see cj procise in action :snack:

themunn":kkgm3br7 said:
I'll take Collins' first two preseason games with a pinch of salt - let's not forget that after 2 preseason games Christine Michael had 27 carries for 186 yards (6.9 YPC) and a TD, which is more carries, more yards and more TDs than he had in his entire rookie season.

Not saying Collins is a dead cert to be a star, but the most important thing isn't being able to pick up yards and third stringers through sheer athleticism and talent alone, but being able to learn and enact the scheme correctly, and rarely do RBs do it quickly - it took Lynch a year before he started producing consistently in Seattle. It's taken Michael until his 4th season. Rawls was an exception picking it up so quickly, but hopefully Collins lies somewhere between Rawls and Lynch in grasping it.

both great points worth considering.

ACFan

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":mimas4uw said:
it honestly looks like hes a step slow,

Collins.gif

I know it's judging off NFL speed now, but he does look like he's only at about 90-95% right here, which would lend credence to the idea he tweaked his ankle in camp.

I think it still shows what he can do though, I love how he takes about 20 steps for those 10 yards.

Being an electronics guy, I like to think of AC as running in digital, everyone else runs in analog. strange sounding analogy but make sense to me. those feet pat the ground often, subtle changes in direction with each step, while maintaining power. Maybe Digimon would be a good nickname for him.

C-Mike has done a good job getting to the 2nd level playing with the ones, but honestly seems kind of lost once he gets there. It's the 2nd level where AC really shines.

If a 100% AC gets those same opportunities with the ones, we'll likely see some bigger plays, and better chances at TD drives IMO.

But there is no way to know if all that will line up and work out for him the next two weeks.

McGruff

Reaction score
ACFan":2f7y9nqu said:
seatownlowdown":2f7y9nqu said:

Collins.gif

I know it's judging off NFL speed now, but he does look like he's only at about 90-95% right here, which would lend credence to the idea he tweaked his ankle in camp.

I think it still shows what he can do though, I love how he takes about 20 steps for those 10 yards.

Being an electronics guy, I like to think of AC as running in digital, everyone else runs in analog. strange sounding analogy but make sense to me. those feet pat the ground often, subtle changes in direction with each step, while maintaining power. Maybe Digimon would be a good nickname for him.

C-Mike has done a good job getting to the 2nd level playing with the ones, but honestly seems kind of lost once he gets there. It's the 2nd level where AC really shines.

If a 100% AC gets those same opportunities with the ones, we'll likely see some bigger plays, and better chances at TD drives IMO.

But there is no way to know if all that will line up and work out for him the next two weeks.

Collins feet make him the back most like Marshawn. In fact, in the 3-4 years, AC is one of 2 backs I can remember scouting that had this choppy running style that Marshawn had. The other was Josh Robinson out of Mississippi Stae in 2015.

What Collins needs to do is widen his base. Marshawn not only ran with quick, low feet, he also kept those feet wide apart which solidified his base. Collins runs too narrow for a power back.

He's also thinking too much. Too hesitent, second guessing the blocks. Just cut and go.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ACFan":2loing72 said:
seatownlowdown":2loing72 said:

Collins.gif

That's against camp bodies in the preseason. In a regular season game, a RB barely gets back to the LOS with that kind of stutter-stepping. Lynch did that sort of thing while moving forward.

ACFan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ms4d839 said:
Collins.gif

That's against camp bodies in the preseason. In a regular season game, a RB barely gets back to the LOS with that kind of stutter-stepping. Lynch did that sort of thing while moving forward.

Not sure what you're seeing in that short clip, AC also looks like he's moving forward.

He makes two guys directly in front of him whiff, while still moving N-S.

That was the start of the 2nd half, not sure how bad the competition was supposed to be at that point, he can only play against who he gets to play against. Hopefully he'll get to go against the 1st team defense tonight with some 1st/2nd down runs.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":2d56kgmd said:
Collins feet make him the back most like Marshawn. In fact, in the 3-4 years, AC is one of 2 backs I can remember scouting that had this choppy running style that Marshawn had. The other was Josh Robinson out of Mississippi Stae in 2015.

What Collins needs to do is widen his base. Marshawn not only ran with quick, low feet, he also kept those feet wide apart which solidified his base. Collins runs too narrow for a power back.

He's also thinking too much. Too hesitent, second guessing the blocks. Just cut and go.

Collins footwork divided scouts. Some loved it, others hated it. Personally, I'm in the latter group, at least for a Tom Cable ZBS. For our system we need RBs who have hard explosive steps to assist with a decisive running style. We also need a RB with a wide base, not only for balance but to help make that first cut as high-quality as possible.

The ideal ZBS running back loses virtually no speed when making cuts. Rawls and Lynch are the epitome of this. Collins slows dramatically when attempting to redirect, because he needs 2-3 steps to do it instead of 1. In fairness, C-Mike's footwork isn't the most explosive or have the widest base either, but he's such a freak athlete that it doesn't seem to matter nearly as much as it does for Collins.

What is theoretically good about Collins running style is that it will help him run through choppy waters in short yardage, but so far it looks like Collins is too top heavy and lacks the balance necessary to take advantage, similar to Robert Turbin when he was here (vision has also been an issue, though it could just be his newness to the offense). Turbin also ran with a narrow base, though in fairness to Turbin he did make a good cut, when he didn't slip anyway.

On a side note, it would be nice if Seattle started drafting more bottom heavy runners like Golden Tate. One of the few things I liked about the CJ Procise pick is that he has a bottom heavy weight distribution, which theoretically will help his balance and resiliency.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":9y5vus9j said:
McGruff":9y5vus9j said:

Collins footwork divided scouts. Some loved it, others hated it. Personally, I'm in the latter group, at least for a Tom Cable ZBS. For our system we need RBs who have hard explosive steps to assist with a decisive running style. We also need a RB with a wide base, not only for balance but to help make that first cut as high-quality as possible.

The ideal ZBS running back loses virtually no speed when making cuts. Rawls and Lynch are the epitome of this. Collins slows dramatically when attempting to redirect, because he needs 2-3 steps to do it instead of 1. In fairness, C-Mike's footwork isn't the most explosive or have the widest base either, but he's such a freak athlete that it doesn't seem to matter nearly as much as it does for Collins.

What is theoretically good about Collins running style is that it will help him run through choppy waters in short yardage, but so far it looks like Collins is too top heavy and lacks the balance necessary to take advantage, similar to Robert Turbin when he was here. Turbin also ran with a narrow base, though in fairness to Turbin he did make a good cut, when he didn't slip anyway.

On a side note, it would be nice if Seattle started drafting more bottom heavy runners like Golden Tate. One of the few things I liked about the CJ Procise pick is that he has a bottom heavy weight distribution, which theoretically will help his balance and resiliency.

Kearly likes big butts !!!!!

I agree a wider butt and stance helps with balance and stability when being hit, also helps power I think.

kearly

Reaction score
Me and Brock Huard!

Quads, hamstrings, calves, and gluts. Guys with thick legs tend to run like they are human gyroscopes.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":3mr815np said:
Me and Brock Huard!

Quads, hamstrings, calves, and gluts. Guys with thick legs tend to run like they are human gyroscopes.

I will say I don't think Collins' body is like Turbin's, but his style is. Collins is actually fairly well proportioned IMO, but its in the feet. He keeps his feet too close together.

Marshawn ran like he was riding a horse. Bow legged. Even when he ran routes, he looked goofy doin' it because he ran with wide feet.

Collins has the backside to do that. He just needs to learn it.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He at least will be able to learn how to run with a wider base and to make his cut and go. At present he's been a tad underwhelming.

ACFan

Reaction score
Just killing time until kickoff.

I just want to say how much I've enjoyed the board since April, very knowledgeable group here, courteous too.

Two of my all time favorite Razorbacks playing tonight in AC and McFadden. Two guys on that "exclusive list" you guys let me rant on and on about, haha. 10 years later and DMac still seems to have some left in the tank.

I hope for both to do well but for Seattle to win in a rout!

Go AC and go Hawks!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ACFan":1u44776s said:

I just want to say how much I've enjoyed the board since April, very knowledgeable group here, courteous too.

Two of my all time favorite Razorbacks playing tonight in AC and McFadden. Two guys on that "exclusive list" you guys let me rant on and on about, haha. 10 years later and DMac still seems to have some left in the tank.

Go AC and go Hawks!

Killing time here too.....that is what we do watching Miami. LOL

Great conversation and thanks for being a part of it. Keep it up too....we appreciate it.

Go Hawks.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
ACFan":2c4k2k7y said:

Go AC and go Hawks!

It's all good here, your passionate about the player you want to succeed. Anthony! hasn't been around for awhile but he was sticking up for Russell Wilson for the last couple of years. I'm the same way with Wilson, love the way he plays and wants him to keep succeeding. Hopefully Alex Collins shows us something tonight, he's my adopt a rookie for this year.

ACFan

Reaction score
Happy with how the game went, glad to see the offense get going.

Still scratching my head over the handling of Collins, not sure what to make of it. They don't seem to really be evaluating him, just giving him a few token carries.

I thought he looked good, as much as you can tell with 3 touches. Of the 19 yards he got, he created a lot of them, with both power and quickness.

Prosise also looked very good, I honestly thought him and AC looked every bit as good or better than C-Mike did tonight.

A lot of good backs, and a lot to consider and evaluate. As crazy as it sounds, it seems like they have had their minds made up on AC for some time, they just don't seem to be evaluating him. They gonna cut him or keep him? I can't tell.

Rawls
C-Mike
AC
Prosise

that'd be my depth chart for week 1, but it'd be very fluid.

Seafan

Reaction score
I agree it's hard to tell what the Hawks are thinking with AC. He might be a better fit in another system. Like Spencer Ware IMO he might find his game on another team. If he picks it up against the Raiders he might be too difficult to cut.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Did McEvoy do anything last night other than the one catch? Because anyone could have pulled that off against the Dallas busted coverage.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Yep. Tanner also decleated a defender on Brandon Williams catch. Playmaker with limited PT. ;)

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Alex Collins finally showing some quickness against cowboys. He had little chance last game against the speedy Vikings defense and that boulder NT Joseph. It's still concerns me that he cant churn out short yards and goes down as easily as Robert Turbin at times.

Jville

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":28z79ni1 said:
Yep. Tanner also decleated a defender on Brandon Williams catch. Playmaker with limited PT. ;)

Passing to a blocking tight end while getting a big block from a hybrid receiver is so ...... Seahawk-ish.

Meanwhile, I remain patient with Collins