All 22 notes vs Saints

Scottemojo

Reaction score
1QTR
13:10 2nd and 10 On the opening drive for the Seattle offense, we ran a screen to Harvin for a loss of 1. Pay attention to this, the repurcussions of being a step behind Ryan on this play will raise it's head again.

12:24, 3rd and 11 The pass where Harvin got dinged the first time, Russell does something that is either a mistake by him, or a lack of continuity with Harvin. He lays the pass over Harvin's right shoulder, and actually throws Harvin into the contact from Bush. From the end zone look, it is apparent just how much green Wilson had over Harvin's left shoulder. Very uncharacteristic by Russell not to put this more toward the sideline.

On 3rd and 9 we ran an underneath crosser vs zone that gained 6 to Baldwin. I highlight this seemingly meaningless play for one reason, it should be there against the base zone sets the Niners like to run all day long. I like this call for a 2nd and long play a lot better than 3rd and long.

5:03 1 and 10, Empty set. the LG, Bowie, gives up ground too fast. The pocket is decent for Wilson to step into, but he tucks and runs, gets sacked near the line of scrimmage. If he had stepped into the pocket, he had Harvin breaking free up the middle. This is a play he has to want back. Probably a TD if Wilson sees it. But he wasn't looking.

2nd QTR.

10:19 The hold by Breno that wipes out a 37 yard play. Breno simply did not need to grab, but fortunately this mistake doesn't lead to any first half points by Nola.

9:02 A Ryan punt, this one is only 24 yards. The Wind actually blows the snap hard right, and Ryan does well to catch it and get the punt off. He slightly misses the ball, and sends it short to his left.
4:46 The big play screen pass to Harvin that Wilson never throws. He wasn't supposed to. Watch the blocking, this was read option by Seattle the whole time, with no pass intended. If Wilson does throw it, Sweezy is already 5 yards down field blocking. Jenkins never bites on the Wilso look to Harvin, and beelines for Russell on the keeper. By now, it has to be clear that when Seattle lines up read option formation, the Saints are switching assignments on who has Russell on a keeper.

1:40 The second time Harvin gets hurt. This is why defenses want Russell to throw left. It isn't that he can't, it is that it takes him time to square up. Harvin is open for a TD, but in the time it takes Wilson to square up and throw the window begins to close. It doesn't help that the pass floats.
1:28 this goes down as a sack as Wilson scrambles left again. Baldwin gets just mugged by White in the end zone, should be a holding call. It isn't. field goal.

3rd QTR
15:00 In a play that won't get mentioned unless you take your eye off the ball, on a three yard off right tackle play for Lynch, Junior Galette tries to earhole Unger. Total cheap shot. Unger keeps his cool, but just barely.

13:38. The 3rd down incomplete slant to Lynch. This is one that some have lain on Bevell, but this is just flawed execution on a good idea. Willson and Lynch are supposed to run a rub route, but either Lynch runs it too deep or Willson runs it too shallow. Either way, poor execution ruins a good play design.

12:47. I want to highlight a play by the Saints that gains 17, because it is one of the things you absolutely will see the Niners try. There is a hole in the cover 3 press we play, outside the numbers between 10 and 20 yards deep on both sidelines. If the QB has time, he can wait til the CB bails on the press to keep assignment on his deep third, then throw a timed sideline pass behind the corner. It isn't as easy pass, and later in the game the Saints miss a nearly identical play when the receiver breaks it off too deep, but it is there for the taking. Of course, we have seen Sherman steal these on occasion, so it isn't foolproof if the corner guesses right. The Saints never target Sherman with these, just Maxwell. In fact, a little later they run the WR down the field, then a 2nd receiver drags to the same zone hole for a gain of 23. Look for it.

7:10 A lot of the calls blamed on Bevell are just poorly executed, but this toss sweep left on 3rd and 6 is a real head scratcher. If it's to windy to throw 7 yards, how is not too windy to toss it underhand 5 yards? Add to that the fact that the Saints show 9 to stop the run, and this play seems ill fated in concept as well as execution.

2:54 3rd and 6. Another failed slant, this time getting Doug Baldwin blasted. I highlight this because it points out that our receivers are a bit small, and if another team sits on the sticks like the Saints did on this play, they can destroy the receiver trying to catch the slant. Lucky for Baldwin the pass is a bit low, which saves him from getting hit even harder. Our already thin group of receivers can't afford another loss to the corps.

4th QTR. i would like to point out that for all the complaining about Bevell's conservative game plan, he opens the 4th by attempting 4 passes on 5 plays, resulting in one completion and a scramble. Seattle had the wind and went for the throat. in particular I want to highlight one play.
11:33 2nd and 10. Nola lines up in a press cover 3 look, Miller goes in motion and the defense shows man cover on him, so it's probably a blitz. Willson flashes across the middle of the field, with nothing but space in front of him, and safety grabbing his jersey from behind. I can't figure out how this was not called, it is one of the worst holds you will ever see. Even so, the safety is stumbling while grabbing Willson, and the easy pass is right in front of Russell. Instead, he targets Tate deep down the right side, incomplete. At the very least, throwing it to Willson may have made a ref throw the flag. Another big play lost to poor execution, and I can only assume that Wilson had made up his mind to target Tate before the snap.

5:03 Back to the Saints. Remember the 52 yard play by Meacham? What an awful result for a brilliant defense. Remember that hole in cover 3 I told you about? On this play, Seattle shows cover 3. Meacham runs deep, and draws both Maxwell and Earl over the top. The play is designed to open that 16 yards deep left sideline hole up for Jimmy Graham who runs an out behind the deep route of Meacham. Except Seattle is ready, and Kam runs under Graham, killing that option. Brees just chucks a prayer into the wind, and Seattle tips the interception into Meacham's hands.
Sometimes, even good defense gets punished.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Great read. Going back to the last couple of weeks, have you noticed the same thing with Wilson not seeing open receivers or was this something new?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Oh irony. Every other team that's played Seattle complains the Hawks play defense by holding.

Good stuff Scotte.

themunn

Reaction score
Fantastic, some very interesting comments there.

I know exactly the gap you're talking about in our cover 3 look. I mentioned in the Malcolm Smith thread that I felt it was his assignment to be in that gap, but your analysis seems to suggest it's simply a gap that's there for the taking?

Either way, it will be picked on by the Niners, hopefully we adjust to take care of it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Don't know which play it was, but according to Brock and Danny, Russell said one of the passes he threw that was too low was thrown that way deliberately. He didn't want to risk the ball sailing in the wind and getting picked.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I miss my all 22.. I subscribe through NFL GAMEPASS..which only works when Im outside North America...

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
themunn":2z71dm6t said:
Fantastic, some very interesting comments there.

I know exactly the gap you're talking about in our cover 3 look. I mentioned in the Malcolm Smith thread that I felt it was his assignment to be in that gap, but your analysis seems to suggest it's simply a gap that's there for the taking?

Either way, it will be picked on by the Niners, hopefully we adjust to take care of it.

When thrown to the far wide receiver, that hole is there because the CB can't take away the deep ball and stop that route at the same time. It's no coincidence that it is thrown about the area where the CB turns to bail on the press, showing his back to the QB.

When thrown to the 2nd receiver that trails the deep route runner, it is often on a LB or safety to take it away. I think that is the easier of the two throws because it isn't a timing issue where the QB throws before the WR turns around.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3w0h0b33 said:
Great read. Going back to the last couple of weeks, have you noticed the same thing with Wilson not seeing open receivers or was this something new?

Every QB misses open receivers when making reads. Watching the all 22 it's easy to see what a qb can't. I mention the ones I do because they look like the QB should be looking for them based on what the defense is doing before the snap.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":g6knbaj2 said:

I know you weren't asking me, but I've noticed it all year.

Reaction score
Thank you Scott! Great writeup..I was hoping to see one of these from you for the NOLA game.

So....a couple of things:

--RW has a pretty good cannon, were the gusts really enough to mess with a 10-15 yard pass from him? He said in the post-game that he didn't want to throw into the wind (paraphrasing)....looking forward to this game in calmer conditions Sunday. He needs to put together a nice passing game.

--Are the issues you noted with the slants prevalent every week that you've seen? Is it just a receiver size issue, or RW just not being as proficient at that play, or both? What would you like to see us do for a short passing game that plays to our strengths and personnel?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
"7:10 A lot of the calls blamed on Bevell are just poorly executed, but this toss sweep left on 3rd and 6 is a real head scratcher. If it's to windy to throw 7 yards, how is not too windy to toss it underhand 5 yards? Add to that the fact that the Saints show 9 to stop the run, and this play seems ill fated in concept as well as execution. "

I was thinking this play could have worked if it was used to set up a miss direction play. Show this again but have Russ fake the toss and run the opposite or throw to the opposite side of the field.

As to
"12:24, 3rd and 11 The pass where Harvin got dinged the first time, Russell does something that is either a mistake by him, or a lack of continuity with Harvin. "

Yep lack of continuity... I don’t know how Russell could possibly develop any “continuity” with Percy Harvin when he has played or even practiced so little. I hope Percy can recover from the hit he took in time to contribute against the 49ers but also hope it will help motivate him to conquer his “Iverson syndrome” next season.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Lieutenant Dan":1q9k6enr said:
Thank you Scott! Great writeup..I was hoping to see one of these from you for the NOLA game.

So....a couple of things:

--RW has a pretty good cannon, were the gusts really enough to mess with a 10-15 yard pass from him? He said in the post-game that he didn't want to throw into the wind (paraphrasing)....looking forward to this game in calmer conditions Sunday. He needs to put together a nice passing game.

--Are the issues you noted with the slants prevalent every week that you've seen? Is it just a receiver size issue, or RW just not being as proficient at that play, or both? What would you like to see us do for a short passing game that plays to our strengths and personnel?
I think not challenging the wind is legit, a pass just a few feet off has a way of getting picked off (like the pass into the wind for Brees to Meacham should have been) It isn't a coincidence that Seattle threw 3 times in the third qtr, then dropped back 4 out of 5 plays to open the 4th.

On the slants, I don't think they are Russell's strength. He can and does hit them sometimes, but not a strength. there were 3 of them I didn't like Sunday because New Orleans was sitting on them, and this left them open to really big hits. Taking those kind of shots from safeties and linebackers is what big receivers are for, which we kind of lack.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Thanks for the effort/analysis Scott. Nice to know that "missed" bubble to Percy actually wasn't. But as suspected, Russ is missing reads here and there. That concerns me. The missed throws Sat. in those conditions, not so much. I think Russ comes back very strongly this Sunday and hits a couple of big plays off play action because Frisco sells out nearly completely to stop Marshawn, a real risk with such an average defensive backfield.

stang233

Reaction score
How to folks get copies of the all 22? I hear folks talk about viewing it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
stang233":2jj14dw4 said:
How to folks get copies of the all 22? I hear folks talk about viewing it.
It's part of the full NFL Game Rewind package. $70/year, and you get every game including playoffs going back several years in HD online and on tablets, plus all the all-22 footage for all teams. It's a bargain.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com