All Sizzle, No Steak:

Mick063

Reaction score
D.K. Metcalf Is a 1st-Round Flop Waiting to Happen

Link: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/283 ... -to-happen

You want to know what the biggest problem with internet sports reporting is?

No one ever goes back to hold the pundits accountable.

Conversely, give credit to Joe Marino from Draft Network (from that link) that said this:

"By year three, Metcalf has the upside to become one of the premiere receivers in the NFL."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
LOVE stuff like this. There's wrong, and there's this level of wrong. And how often do these nimrods come back and admit they are wrong? Not enough imo. Denial won't change the fact that DK is a beast and is going to get a lot better. I've never done Twitter, but if I did, I would call these guys out every time. Not that they would care.....

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Mick063":1esw0g9t said:

Accountable? What does that mean in this context?

D

DomeHawk

DK had some flaws coming in that showed up in the first half last season. To DK's credit he has worked hard to resolve those issues and has to a great extent. They still show up from time to time (hands) but not nearly as much. DK is a class act, he has got his head on straight.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":pufjxyhg said:
DK had some flaws coming in that showed up in the first half last season. To DK's credit he has worked hard to resolve those issues and has to a great extent. They still show up from time to time (hands) but not nearly as much. DK is a class act, he has got his head on straight.

While making DB's heads not so straight, I thought he sent a message Sunday, the rest of the league is going to respect what he did with Gilmore, I really think as a player that was his coming out party going from Rookie to Veteran, saying I can play within the rules and still not take any crap but give back as good as I get.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was incredible to see him not back down one bit. Let alone getting inside the head of Gilmore, who is usually very chill. It was a great battle all game, and DK isn't intimidated by anyone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mick063":1g64s95t said:
No one ever goes back to hold the pundits accountable.."

Other than all the athletes themselves and fans. Hell, Jordan talked shit about a coach he had in high school during his NBA Hall of Fame acceptance speech.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
To be fair the article did get one little thing right. He does occasionally drop the easy catch. I hope he works hard to eliminate this part of his game.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":sqdrsd6v said:
To be fair the article did get one little thing right. He does occasionally drop the easy catch. I hope he works hard to eliminate this part of his game.

So did Terrell Owens. If you told me we could have Terrell Owens with a great attitude I'd be happy as a clam.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
The main problem with the OP is that referencing a time when bleacher report was wrong and written by truly clueless hacks is like referencing when shit stinks.

Rat

Reaction score
I get why DK was considered too risky to go as highly as his athletic profile would indicate he should. GM graveyards are littered with the corpses of executives who got burned by players whose physical gifts far exceeded their college production. Heck, if Al Davis was still alive, DK probably doesn’t get out of the early first round.

I never cared about that 3-cone thing, but I was very concerned about his injury history, as his body type often lends to that sort of thing. I’m very happy he has stayed healthy so far.

The draft is really, really difficult to predict. You can rip on the analysts for getting some wrong, but don’t forget how many millions of dollars teams invest in this process. The best professional scouts and evaluators of talent miss on these things all the time too. Look how many passed on DK in that draft: all 32 of them.

No way he should have fallen to the bottom of the second round though. I’d be really curious to know how many teams “almost” took him.

Where everyone really dropped the ball on him is his attitude. He’s insanely humble, which is unfortunately rare in elite-level athletes. You knew DK would put in the work.

I’m very happy he appears to be more Terrell Owens than Stephen Hill or Dorial Green-Beckham.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
You can’t measure heart, you can’t measure determination, you can’t measure chemistry with an All-World QB.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3r0q0uso said:
oldhawkfan":3r0q0uso said:

So did Terrell Owens. If you told me we could have Terrell Owens with a great attitude I'd be happy as a clam.

Terrell Owens with a great attitude, that's awesome! And pretty much what his game is turning into. I'm just waiting for him to do the "Nestea plunge" on the Cowboys star at midfield. Oh, wait, it's a home game, never mind.

For those who missed that football moment, here it is, in all its awesomeness. Actually gotta love both sides. The Cowboys dude cheap-shots Owens, "not in our house", love that too, and Owens just coolly, calmly keeps celebrating like nothing happened.
[youtube]cshHg_sWyVo[/youtube]

Rat

Reaction score
I always really liked TO. He clearly has some mental issues and is more than a little egotistical, but I didn’t think he was a bad guy or anything like that. That’s a good comparison because they were both physical marvels who didn’t play to their potential in college. Those guys seem to bust more often than not, but we clearly hit with that selection.

OP
OP
Mick063

Mick063

Reaction score
GeekHawk":18hhrf9s said:
The main problem with the OP is that referencing a time when bleacher report was wrong and written by truly clueless hacks is like referencing when $h!t stinks.

I don't have a problem with you disliking the OP.

I have a problem, in general, over a multitude of basic untruths (not just related to sports) that are given credibility by clueless internet hacks with an unearned platform.

Indeed, I believe our biggest current societal problem is that an ever increasingly number of clueless hacks generally hold a disproportionate share of unwarranted influence. Thus my fore mentioned issue with them not being held accountable when proven wrong. To define what I mean by "held accountable" is actually represented by the intent of my OP. It is my own personal way of holding the author accountable. The author's believability factor should take a hit for future reference and I intend to contribute to that.

If you have an issue with calling out clueless folks with undue influence, then I see you as not being part of the solution. Or do you prefer that clueless folks should have unwarranted influence?

olyfan63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1xe1smde said:
OK if you have not watched this video, it is literally hilarious.

Great stuff on DK.

[youtube]jtKELHibmG8[/youtube]

Fantastic vid! Thanks for sharing it! Entertaining to watch, while educating us at the same time! Dude pointed out some less-than-perfect route-running work from DK too. The scary thing is that DK is leaving a lot on the table as a route-runner, and as he improves that, he'll be even scarier.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mick063":1epn3jxa said:
D.K. Metcalf Is a 1st-Round Flop Waiting to Happen

Link: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/283 ... -to-happen

Conversely, give credit to Joe Marino from Draft Network (from that link) that said this:

"By year three, Metcalf has the upside to become one of the premiere receivers in the NFL."
I bet the first guy would have changed his opinion instantly if the cowboys, patriots, Niners, packers would have drafted him.