Some fun reading...a pre-draft analysis of D.K. Metcalf

Rat

Reaction score
I get why he was considered too risky to go in the first round, but wow we played that nice getting him where we did. Falling THAT far was insane by any measure. A number of players with similar flags have fizzled. Helps that he was drafted into a tremendous environment for him, but it seems to be more than that.Teams are going to change their evaluation processes over this; that's always cool when that happens because of a player your team drafted.

OP
OP
M

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
I remember a lot of the post draft analysis was that DK was heading to the best possible location, with the best deep throwing QB in the league. That's all true, but in addition to his ability as a deep play threat, he has been a very reliable receiver in general (minus a few rookie fumbles). His route running as well as his blocking have all been very nice surprises from a rookie. I just can't see how he fell, especially when we see how wholly unproductive the other guys taken above him have been. He was a ready-made talent, and every NFL team whiffed on him. John Schneider really deserves all the praise in the world for drafting him.

D

DomeHawk

The draft analysis on DK was pretty spot on and we saw some of that through the season. The DK fans go crazy every time he has a good game and then disappear when he doesn't. It's literally game by game.

This may have been his best game. He benefits form Lockett getting doubled in games (like today) but it was more than that today, he caught the hard passes and really went for the ball. Most of the season he was only catching the passes that RW dropped right in his hands.

He showed a lot of improvement today, it's great see that.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3skj7v6y said:
The draft analysis on DK was pretty spot on and we saw some of that through the season. The DK fans go crazy every time he has a good game and then disappear when he doesn't. It's literally game by game.

This may have been his best game. He benefits form Lockett getting doubled in games (like today) but it was more than that today, he caught the hard passes and really went for the ball. Most of the season he was only catching the passes that RW dropped right in his hands.

Don't you have a Patriot forum to frequent to boost your desired Pick?

Give the kid credit for being the best WR in the DRAFT, it may hurt a bit but he earned it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MagnificentSeven":2a0l0tfe said:
Kid should be ROY. This was a fun read:

D.K. Metcalf is all Sizzle, No Steak
Schneider is such a dumbass, what the hell was he thinking??
And all the other teams passed on him because.....well.....They were even DUMBER ASSES.
# 14 is my next jersey purcha$e.
You'd think that Schneider would have learned his lesson after Drafting Russell Wilson. :stirthepot:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3m251gw5 said:

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, Don't tell me that you actually BELIEVE all that "Pre-Draft" bullshit :141847_bnono:
He's proven them AND YOU ..WRONG!!!!!.....I think you should just get over it.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1b6ym67c said:

Poor take, and reeks of trying to hold on to an I told you so. Elements of the weird Penny heel digging here too. Why do so many have to hold on so tightly to our "draft pick analysis"?? Geez who cares. Creates these weird akward arguments over our own guys.

He is a rookie. Most are up and down by nature. But he steadily improved all elements of his game.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1s9txqv2 said:
DomeHawk":1s9txqv2 said:

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, Don't tell me that you actually BELIEVE all that "Pre-Draft" bullshit :141847_bnono:
He's proven them AND YOU ..WRONG!!!!!.....I think you should just get over it.

Impossible, DomeHawk is never wrong.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1lg2vzt5 said:

Actually, it's not. One of the points the article harps on is his cone drill time. If you actually WATCH Metcalf's cone drill rather than just glance at numbers and "armchair quarterback" it, you'll see that Metcalf slipped twice on his cone drill, and still came away with an ok time.

FACT: If Metcalf hadn't slipped a couple times on his three-cone drill, another team would have taken him before we could.

He was also only rarely asked to do anything but simple route trees at Ole Miss. People assumed that was because of him, when it clearly wasn't.

Go back to the shack where you can keep trolling, I'veBeenHitInTheDomeTooMuchHawk.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I recall Bill Simmons mocking the Hawks offence going into the year calling Metcalf a male mode. I hope he enjoyed Harry screwing up and frustrating Brady.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I posted this in one of the other Metcalf threads a little bit ago, but adding here as well. Metcalf slipped twice in his 3-cone drill which is why his time sucked. It's HILARIOUS how many draft "experts" just ragged on his 3-cone drill time because they only looked at the numbers. You'd think they would look at the rest of his combine performance, which was outstanding, and at least wonder why his 3-cone drill time wasn't outstanding as well...but nope. Doing proper research actually takes time, and effort.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0 ... FL-combine

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":2lds42v8 said:
DomeHawk":2lds42v8 said:

Don't you have a Patriot forum to frequent to boost your desired Pick?

Give the kid credit for being the best WR in the DRAFT, it may hurt a bit but he earned it.
Wouldn't call him the best WR in the draft. A.J Brown has better stats across the board and catch rates. I'd say Terry McLaurin was arguably better than DK as well. Similar stats in less games than DK Metcalf.

Now, that being said DK Metcalf has the largest potential out of all these players. He came in as one of one of the more raw NFL WR prospects. He really only had two routes in his repertoire when he came here. We saw it when he was out on the field as well. He looked raw, and he lacked awareness, made really boneheaded plays and struggled on many routes.

As the season progressed DK Metcalf worked on his craft. He spent hours in the film room studying, spent time refining his route running and it has paid dividends. His hands, and body control have also gotten better. As the season went on he started catching with his hands more, and understanding situations better. He still is incredibly raw --- but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Think of this mans potential, he came in from an offense that made him not really do much, poor route running, mediocre hands and he was able to hang with WR's that were billed as more NFL ready in A.J Brown and McLaurin. These guys have better route running, hands and positioning, and YET he still was able to have a season that came 150 some odd yards short of the leading rookie, AJ Brown. DK has shown that he can learn, and he has improved on many of these aspects of his play. Just THINK of what a monster he is going to become when he masters those aspects of the game.

Folks, we're going to have a guy that can do what Randy Moss, T.O and Megatron were able to do in their primes if DK cashes in on his potential. I've seen growth even from game to game from this guy just in his route running abilities. We're going to have a monster on our hands, and a cornerstone for the Seattle Seahawks to lean on for generations to come.

Side note, Ole MIss sure put some good WR talent this year, my god.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
The coaching staff has to be committed to maintaining an offensive style that can use a large receiver as well. If not they may as wellmgive cable call to turn this kid into an Ifedi replacement.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Tusc2000

Reaction score
It's also important to note that DK was fortunate to be teamed with Russ, one of the most accurate long ball passers in the game, as well as a very smart and encouraging field general. Put him on a team QB'd by a Cam Newton or a Mitch Trubisky, and DK -- like a lot of rookie WRs -- would not be performing as well, and might also start to get frustrated.

Getting drafted by the right organization can't be overstated. If Russ had been drafted by, say, the Browns, he might very well be selling insurance now.