Allow me some Hyperbole for a moment. Regarding RW

HawkGA

Reaction score
I've pondered a similar question lately. Primarily: What more does he have to do to be HOF worthy? Let's say he suffers a career ending injury or simply walks away after X happens. What does X have to be for him to get in the Hall of Fame? I think longevity is important and the only way to really get that is, well, time. But if he, say, took Seattle to the Super Bowl the next two years and then called it quits, I'm pretty sure he would get in. Kind of think if he wins one more Super Bowl he would get in too even if it were this year and then he called it quits immediately after. He'd be a bit of an anomaly but 3 Super Bowl appearances in 5 years would be pretty hard to overlook.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sealake80":3hus0zs9 said:
I have no doubt in my mind that Wilson is first ballot HOF. It is known. Wilson is the #1 QB. Period. It's really about character and adaptability. Football skills are a given.

I feel a message coming.....

:les:

When all is said and done Wilson will deliver 9 championships. 7 for our beloved Seahawks. Snatching another from our Jaws for a rival team that's identity remains shrouded in mystery, for now. Much is known and much will be revealed. The power and the gift.

Whether you are right or wrong, the simple fact is that he isn't given such accolades in the broader football community yet. And it's those people who vote on the Hall of Fame. So at this exact moment, he's not a Hall of Famer, but he is on the path.

byau

Reaction score
HawkGA":3gnpb2g5 said:
I've pondered a similar question lately. Primarily: What more does he have to do to be HOF worthy? Let's say he suffers a career ending injury or simply walks away after X happens. What does X have to be for him to get in the Hall of Fame? I think longevity is important and the only way to really get that is, well, time. But if he, say, took Seattle to the Super Bowl the next two years and then called it quits, I'm pretty sure he would get in. Kind of think if he wins one more Super Bowl he would get in too even if it were this year and then he called it quits immediately after. He'd be a bit of an anomaly but 3 Super Bowl appearances in 5 years would be pretty hard to overlook.

Longevity, agreed. There are a good number of stats you hear about him with a qualifier "for the first three years of any QB" "for the first four years of any QB" "for the first five years of any QB". I think that's a good sign that it's a longevity thing.

Another indicator: check out some of the career leaders below (from footballdb.com) Almost all of them have had a career 2x to 3x as long as Russell. This means that he is the only young QB that is putting up HOF stats (because I can't believe that you can start out slow and then increase your stats as your career goes on, you got to start out putting up good stats). So he's well on his way in this trajectory.

At the same time, notice that almost all these career stat leaders are HOFers or near HOFers and the main difference is longevity. Russell has the youngest career by half on all these leaderboards. So definitely needs to at this point be consistent.

Something else that would help, another SB ring couldn't hurt :)

I think one more thing he could use to solidify this is a league MVP award, but it might be a few more years before the perception for that is ready. Fortunately in pre-season this year it sounded like people were coming around, so things are looking good.

Career passer rating
1. Aaron Rodgers 104.0 over 129 games
2. Russell Wilson 101.6 over 68 games
3. Tony Romo 97.1 over 149 games (is he a first ballot HOF'er? Needs a ring unfortunately)
4. Steve Young 96.8 over 169 games
5. Peyton Manning 96.5 over 266 games
6. Tom Brady 96.4 over 225 games
7. Drew Brees 95.9 over 222 games

Career Completion Percentage
1. Drew Brees 66.3% over 222 games
2. Chad Pennington 66% over 90 games
3. Kurt Warner 65.5% over 125 games
4. Peyton Manning 65.3% over 266 games
5. Tony Romo 65.3% over 149 games
6. Philip Rivers 64.9% over 168 games
7. Aaron Rodgers 64.9% over 129 games
8. Russell Wilson 64.8% over 68 games

Career Yards Per Attempt
1. Otto Graham 8.63 YPA over 72 games (HOFer, played in the 50s)
2. Sid Luckman 8.42 YPA over 128 games (HOFer, played in the 50s)
3. Norm Van Brocklin 8.16 YPA over 140 games (HOfer played in the 50s)
4. Russell Wilson 8.05 YPA over 68 games
5. Steve Young 7.98 YPA over 169 games
6. Aaron Rodgers 7.97 YPA over 129 games
7. Kurt Warner 7.95 YPA over 125 games
8. Ben Roethlisberger 7.92 YPA over 175 games
9. Tom Brady 7.89 YPA over 149 games

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
chet380":1g1t6jwm said:
RW's injuries appear to have taken away his signature move -- spinning left or right to avoid a sack and often being able to get open to complete a spectacular pass. Given his dedication to rehabbing his injuries, it seems likely that he will be back to 95-100%, but if he can't fully recuperate, ....

As well, it was surprising that he was unable to outrun a DL yesterday.

"Surprising?" Really? Playing a brace on one leg for an MCL sprain while nursing a high-ankle sprain on the other leg. Oh yeah, I'm so 'surprised' WTF?!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Russell is far and away the best QB in Seahawks history, currently the best QB in the league and a lock as a first ballot HOF. I have zero doubts about any of that.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
austinslater25":2jbvs88z said:
Russell is far and away the best QB in Seahawks history, currently the best QB in the league and a lock as a first ballot HOF. I have zero doubts about any of that.
For some reason, your post made me think of Bret Bielema's (Russ' HC at Wisconsin) comment on Russ his rookie year...
"I'm positive he'll be a HOF Quarterback, and I think he might be President of the USA."
:2thumbs:

SeaChat

Reaction score
Russell is no doubt the best QB the Hawks have ever had, I remember reading his college stats before the draft and listening to my two sons, who are pretty football savvy, saying he was to short to play in the NFL, and I kept arguing that his college stats said to that he hadn't let that hold him back and that he would do great for us in the pros. In retrospect I was right. I think Russell has the potential to establish himself in the NFL as one of the true greats. I coached boxers for a good many years and when I saw a fighter start getting injured it was always related to their slacking off in their conditioning, I think possibly while Russell continues to improve on technique he needs to push his conditioning to the same level as he did in past years, as he gets older he is going to have to work that much harder to maintain that level of conditioning. I maintain that if he is in top shape he won't get injured as easily as he is this year. He is the only one who knows the truth about how hard he is training, if he is slacking and resting on his laurels now is the time to get honest with himself and push himself to the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk