Another rule change aimed at the Seahawks

Tical21

Reaction score
kobebryant":1zgtohc4 said:
Tical21":1zgtohc4 said:
It's an absolutely ridiculous move, has nothing to do with football.

How does it have nothing to do with football?
"Okay, you're a high jumper right? See that guy in the middle snapping the ball. He's got to have his head down. Now, you can't line up in front of him because they've banned that, but if you get really close, right off the side, see that little gap next to him, if you just line up there, now and watch how they snap for field goals, time is just right, and try to jump over the guy. Now, you can't touch him, because remember that rule we made to protect him? So, if you do this just right, there is nothing the offense can do by rule to stop you, so we're home free. All you have to do is jump really high and time it right."

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Seymour":2giikr96 said:
Hawkpower":2giikr96 said:
Seahwkgal":2giikr96 said:
Arians is the biggest cry baby coach. Way worse than Harbaugh was.

Someone should tap douchebag Arians on one of his fat neck rolls and whisper in his ear that he......can just do it too.........it's called coaching instead of crying.

YETmCKhOTR
:laugh:

kobebryant

Reaction score
Tical21":cjgyc8yt said:
kobebryant":cjgyc8yt said:
Tical21":cjgyc8yt said:

"Okay, you're a high jumper right? See that guy in the middle snapping the ball. He's got to have his head down. Now, you can't line up in front of him because they've banned that, but if you get really close, right off the side, see that little gap next to him, if you just line up there, now and watch how they snap for field goals, time is just right, and try to jump over the guy. Now, you can't touch him, because remember that rule we made to protect him? So, if you do this just right, there is nothing the offense can do by rule to stop you, so we're home free. All you have to do is jump really high and time it right."

hahaha I like it. I'd argue that exploiting vulnerabilities, jumping "really high", and timing are very much part of football. Nonetheless, kudos.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I hope they don't make a rule against it as I find it an exciting element of the game. And couldn't the kicking team just line up a player 2 yards behind guard to thwart this type of pressure. Imagine Tuku waiting for someone to come over the top like that.

Chapow

Reaction score
kobebryant":1h4fijti said:
Tical21":1h4fijti said:
kobebryant":1h4fijti said:
Tical21":1h4fijti said:

hahaha I like it. I'd argue that exploiting vulnerabilities, jumping "really high", and timing are very much part of football. Nonetheless, kudos.

You would be absolutely correct. Attempting to block a FG has everything to do with football and to say otherwise is just absurd.

And as has already been said, if a bunch of young kids are getting hurt attempting this, then maybe that should be addressed. I don't know, but I do know that's a different discussion entirely. This discussion is about grown men getting handsomely compensated for playing professional football at the highest level.

Tical21

Reaction score
So we really want to see guys try to jump over the line on all the extra point and fg attempts? A couple get blocked a game? A couple guys get hurt per game? The offense can't do anything to prevent it? Seems like exciting football to me.

Chapow

Reaction score
Tical21":2g03luxy said:
So we really want to see guys try to jump over the line on all the extra point and fg attempts? A couple get blocked a game? A couple guys get hurt per game? The offense can't do anything to prevent it? Seems like exciting football to me.

Or maybe things continue on as they did last season when this was attempted pretty rarely and was successful even more rarely, but was generally awfully exciting when it happened at least in part because it was pretty rare.

Also, your "A couple guys get hurt per game?" comment is pretty silly. For one, it's obviously hyperbole, not banning this isn't going to result in a couple guys getting hurt per game. If it did, coaches and players would stop doing it awfully quickly. Second, we're talking about professional football. This doesn't strike me as any more dangerous than a lot of other things that are common place in football and happen a hundred times every Sunday.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
As stated it is rare, you have to have a guy that is athletic enough to clear the O line and fast enough to do it we had two guys, Kam and Wagner try it and rarely since you have to have the right situation, along with the combination of how they protect on Field Goals and extra points.

The are treating this like a like every kick off is an Onside Kick on every Kick off, it isn't, in fact collisions on onside kicks are probably more dangerous.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Arians made an idiot out of himself when he showed everyone via a prime time national TV audience that he didn't know the rules regarding this play. Now that he understands the rule, he wants to change it to what he thought it was. That's like walking out of the bathroom with your fly unzipped then trying to make it acceptable attire.

The reason the rule was instituted was to protect players from injury. If they're going to change the rule prohibiting hurdling a player that's in a stationary position, then they might as well ban ball carriers from hurdling tacklers that are in motion.