Any jalen Carter updates?

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Eagles were just well positioned with the talent they already have to absorb the loss if he failed. Another team after them would have been desperate enough to ignore his issues and taken him regardless.
That's just it. If you take a look at the 8 teams that picked ahead of Philly, none of them could have afforded the PR hit if a player with as many visible red flags like Carter had fulfilled expectations by failing. Our own fan base would have been all over JS and PC for making such a dumb selection when it was clearly obvious that he was a bust waiting to happen, or so the narrative would be if that scenario came true. Same goes for teams like the Bears, Cards, Texans, and the other teams that passed on him.

By virtue of their SB appearance and excellent management of their roster, the Eagles have built up enough good will to where they can afford to miss on a pick and not have the fans hanging effigies of them.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think that's part of it, but the Hawks and probably the Bears too... there isnt a solid enough Corp of proven leadership on the defense to offset a guy like Carter coming in and just turning into a bad apple ... or upsetting the culture and unity of the team.

We have a young team that by all accounts seems to be really gelling on both sides of the ball. They have good vet leadership in key spots, but to take the risk that your most key get warrants the praise for his physical ability, but is lax in his preparation and had a less than team centric view of the game and his place on the team... that's a risk that the Hawks obviously couldn't take. Their gamble? - that the talent and elevated culture the guys they've brought in brings is > than the addition of any one generational talent. Especially if that generational talent has the potential to be a cancer on your culture.

The Eagles have enough bad asses and premier 'faces of the franchise' that Carter can become an added piece.

In Seattle, he'd be THE piece and bring with him all the potential pitfalls he's apparently shown to be susceptible to.

He's in a good spot in Philly. We are good with the adds we made.

All good.

BASF

Reaction score
There are as many if not more Tony Mandarich's, Lawrence Phillips. For every Randy Moss, there are 3 David Bostons. For every Warren Sapp, theres an Albert Haynesworth.

It's not as much about what the kid does his rookie year. Its about what he does over his career in fulfilling his own potential and elevating the team.

Sure, Carter may very well kill it his first year. What happens after that when he gets comfortable with his money or being the man?

The NFL is littered with stories of all world talents who destroy their careers or never live up to their potential. It's not the kind of situation you make and then regret. Carter not getting picked by us or anyone before the Eagles is his fault, not ours. I'm sure we woukd have loved to take him, but HE ruined that. We didn't see anything sideways, so I don't think there's anything to regret. The Hawks didn't just evaluate him based on news stories. They interviewed him a few times and did their own investigation into who he is. The result? That Carter presented himself as someone who was 'easy to pass on', according to John Schneider.

If Carter turns put to be someone entirely different than the character he portrayed himself to be when he sat across from John Schneider, good for him. If he becomes an All Pro? Good for him. Him not doing it for one of the 7 teams that picked before Philly? That's on him, and they were right to pass.

The Eagles were just well positioned with the talent they already have to absorb the loss if he failed. Another team after them would have been desperate enough to ignore his issues and taken him regardless.

His fall is his own.
Can you link to the interview where he said it was easy to pass on him? I swear it said it was not easy to pass on him. I'd like to verify.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
There are as many if not more Tony Mandarich's, Lawrence Phillips. For every Randy Moss, there are 3 David Bostons. For every Warren Sapp, theres an Albert Haynesworth.

It's not as much about what the kid does his rookie year. Its about what he does over his career in fulfilling his own potential and elevating the team.

Sure, Carter may very well kill it his first year. What happens after that when he gets comfortable with his money or being the man?

The NFL is littered with stories of all world talents who destroy their careers or never live up to their potential. It's not the kind of situation you make and then regret. Carter not getting picked by us or anyone before the Eagles is his fault, not ours. I'm sure we woukd have loved to take him, but HE ruined that. We didn't see anything sideways, so I don't think there's anything to regret. The Hawks didn't just evaluate him based on news stories. They interviewed him a few times and did their own investigation into who he is. The result? That Carter presented himself as someone who was 'easy to pass on', according to John Schneider.

If Carter turns put to be someone entirely different than the character he portrayed himself to be when he sat across from John Schneider, good for him. If he becomes an All Pro? Good for him. Him not doing it for one of the 7 teams that picked before Philly? That's on him, and they were right to pass.

His fall is his own.
If he gave bad interviews with the Bears and Seahawks, whether deliberately or not, I can understand the decision. I will change my prediction if he is still overweight in training camp. Sirianni says every player has an assigned weight and that weight is “non-negotiable “. He weighed 323 at his infamous Pro Day. He needs to report to camp looking like Warren Sapp 2.0 at close to 300, not 323.

keasley45

Reaction score
Can you link to the interview where he said it was easy to pass on him? I swear it said it was not easy to pass on him. I'd like to verify.
It was on Wymans radio show. He and Bob had been going back and forth pre-draft over whether Carter was worth the risk.

I think it was one of the shows right after the draft when they were reflecting on the Schneider's decision and the moves we made instead and either Bob or Dave referenced an interview wherein John stated that they spoke to Carter and the summary was that he was 'easy to pass on'.

Either Bob or Dave then stated if that was what John's takeaway was, that that was good enough for them.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Y'know who was impressive against a blocking sled in OTAs? Malik McDowell.

I'm not saying Carter is going to flame out before playing an NFL snap like McDowell. I'm just saying that being impressive against an NFL team's blocking sled in May or June is not a reliable indicator of future NFL success.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Y'know who was impressive against a blocking sled in OTAs? Malik McDowell.

I'm not saying Carter is going to flame out before playing an NFL snap like McDowell. I'm just saying that being impressive against an NFL team's blocking sled in May or June is not a reliable indicator of future NFL success.
10-4 on that! Using a broken blocking sled as evidence that a player is in good shape is laughable and is the type of stuff that you can expect a beat writer to report on as there's not much else to talk about prior to training camp.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think that's part of it, but the Hawks and probably the Bears too... there isnt a solid enough Corp of proven leadership on the defense to offset a guy like Carter coming in and just turning into a bad apple ... or upsetting the culture and unity of the team.

We have a young team that by all accounts seems to be really gelling on both sides of the ball. They have good vet leadership in key spots, but to take the risk that your most key get warrants the praise for his physical ability, but is lax in his preparation and had a less than team centric view of the game and his place on the team... that's a risk that the Hawks obviously couldn't take. Their gamble? - that the talent and elevated culture the guys they've brought in brings is > than the addition of any one generational talent. Especially if that generational talent has the potential to be a cancer on your culture.

The Eagles have enough bad asses and premier 'faces of the franchise' that Carter can become an added piece.

In Seattle, he'd be THE piece and bring with him all the potential pitfalls he's apparently shown to be susceptible to.

He's in a good spot in Philly. We are good with the adds we made.

All good.
Couldn’t have said it better! Great post.

Aircrew

Reaction score
I wasn't predicting success or failure for Carter. I am simply noting that based on the information available at the time, the decision to pass on Carter was a good one.
100% this. And for me, once the draft was over and the reports started coming out of Georgia that the coaching staff and some of the players didn't particularly care for Jalen Carter, the decision to pass on him was proven to be the wisest move.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I was responding to Bear-Hawk. I quoted him in my post.
Then you have my apologies.

But regardless of who was responding to who, my statement is the same. I'm not making any predictions on Jalen Carter's fortunes. I am saying that based on the information available at the time of the draft, the decision to pass on Carter at #5 overall was a good one. His ultimate success or failure won't change my opinion.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Then you have my apologies.

But regardless of who was responding to who, my statement is the same. I'm not making any predictions on Jalen Carter's fortunes. I am saying that based on the information available at the time of the draft, the decision to pass on Carter at #5 overall was a good one. His ultimate success or failure won't change my opinion.
Okay. I don't care. My comment was not directed at you, so stop acting like it was.

Jac

Reaction score
That's just it. If you take a look at the 8 teams that picked ahead of Philly, none of them could have afforded the PR hit if a player with as many visible red flags like Carter had fulfilled expectations by failing. Our own fan base would have been all over JS and PC for making such a dumb selection when it was clearly obvious that he was a bust waiting to happen, or so the narrative would be if that scenario came true. Same goes for teams like the Bears, Cards, Texans, and the other teams that passed on him.

By virtue of their SB appearance and excellent management of their roster, the Eagles have built up enough good will to where they can afford to miss on a pick and not have the fans hanging effigies of them.

John Schneider used to be in the same position. Coming off SB's, a talented roster, the freedom to take chances, etc. So yeah, Philly is in position to gamble on the upside right now, but it's also a philosophy that can quickly hollow out your roster when it doesn't work out. San Francisco used to do something similar by drafting 'high upside' players who were injured. They quickly hollowed out that roster as well when those gambles didn't pay off.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

Seahawks fans and front office are going to tell themselves we did the right thing to comfort themselves for years to come.

What are you even talking about? The season is 3 months away and you’re putting Carter in the hall of fame already? Lmao 🤣 ninerLogic

bileever

Reaction score
We all wonder if we'll regret having passed on Jalen Carter. Or on the eleven other defensive tackles we could have taken before we finally picked Cameron Young at #123. I have to assume that John and Pete weren't high on the other DTs. Maybe they would have taken Keeanu Benton at 52 (my hope) if the Steelers hadn't nabbed him at 49. On the other hand, if they were really high on him, they could have taken him at 37.

I think that due to the scarcity of good DTs in this draft, they started to go early, and that might have screwed things up for teams that didn't want to reach. I don't know if most people thought that Kancey would go at 19, Mazi Smith at 26 or Bryan Bresee at 29. I think most people thought Smith and Bresee would be available in the second round.

Karl Dunbar, the Steelers D-line coach says that interior defensive linemen, and nose tackles in particular, are like "pretty women." He said, "Everyone wants one, but there's not a lot of them out there." The Bears must have agreed, because they took two DTs, one at #53, Gervon Dexter and one at #64, Zach Pickens. That's a lot of draft capital for that position. Ultimately, I can't look at the available DTs and say, I wish we would have taken him when we had the chance.

bileever

Reaction score
Well, it was bound to happen: