Any WR's you like in this draft?

jhern87

Reaction score
Umm... Marqise Lee?.. USC's lackluster season has really caused him to fly under the radar but I think once the combine comes he'll be right back on-top of the WR board. He's an absolutely amazing athlete, with great hands.

Paul Richardson is good BUT he drops a lot of balls.. No thanks.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Watkins and Evans for me but those are probably the 1 and 2 WR off the board. Mathews could be in the Seattle range, I haven't watched too many WR other than these 3 so far.

Looking around perhaps L'Damian Washington? Kind of light for a tall guy.

CPHawk

Reaction score
jhern87":2pm1kwex said:
Umm... Marqise Lee?.. USC's lackluster season has really caused him to fly under the radar but I think once the combine comes he'll be right back on-top of the WR board. He's an absolutely amazing athlete, with great hands.

Paul Richardson is good BUT he drops a lot of balls.. No thanks.

This is true, but so did Kearse. He's also a lot better than last years 4th round pick Chris Harper, and I'm guessing that where he'll go.

As for Lee and Watkins, I doubt either are on the board when we pick. People will know Lee played with hot mess QBs all year, and was a victim of the Kiffin mess.

getnasty

Reaction score
What's Brandon Coleman doing this year? I love his size and speed reminds me of Brandon Marshell.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Colman has 15 catches, 220 yards, 2 TDs

I don't know what system they're running over there at Rutgers but in 5 games that don't sound too tough.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Something isn't right with Coleman. He's running on his heels and has almost no explosion off the line. He looks like he's on bum ankles really. He doesn't look like he did last year.

Statistically, he's not going to light a fire. Gary Nova is complete trash as a QB. There are wildcat qbs with better throwing skills. Coleman will underwhelm the casual fan who doesn't watch the games.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Coleman had his knee reconstructed during the summer and it shows. Different player this year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Ah, hadn't caught that. Would explain a great deal. He looks like every stride hurts.

I realized I never offered an answer to the OPs question. I noted them on SDB so I'll copy them here too. In particular, these are day 2 alternatives to the first round hype prospects that not all of us may know:

Allen Robinson 6’3″
Dante Moncrief 6’2″
DeVonte Parker 6’2″
Devin Street 6’3″
Alex Amidon 5'11"

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I think Moncrief is moving up, we'll see at the end of the season but I think he'll rise into that late 1st early 2nd round.

cover-2

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3mnsz7zz said:
Ah, hadn't caught that. Would explain a great deal. He looks like every stride hurts.

I realized I never offered an answer to the OPs question. I noted them on SDB so I'll copy them here too. In particular, these are day 2 alternatives to the first round hype prospects that not all of us may know:

Allen Robinson 6’3″
Dante Moncrief 6’2″
DeVonte Parker 6’2″
Devin Street 6’3″
Alex Amidon 5'11"

I like Robinson and Moncrief, although Moncrief has dropped some passes the few games I watched of him. Parker is just a possession WR and I wouldn't take him in the first two rounds. I'm undecided on Street, and I don't want a 5'11'' in the first couple rounds unless its LSU (WR) Odell Beckham.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
cover-2":3qpfkdv5 said:
...and I don't want a 5'11'' in the first couple rounds unless its LSU (WR) Odell Beckham.

I'd invite you to look up some Amidon tape. He's a day 3 prospect who I offered as an alternative to spending a first round pick on Beckham. There are elements to his game that are very good. Last year, he had more drops than I'd like, but he seems to have improved this year considerably. His burst out of his stance, and his ability to stop/redirect on a dime is impressive. As is his ability to work through press coverage. He is a 6-8 catch per game guy and his quickness really just jumps out at you when you watch his tape.

I'd eye him if Seattle opts to not tender Baldwin. That price last year for a 2nd round qualifying offer was a shade over 2m/yr. That's due to the fact that as a UDFA, we don't have the 1m/yr option the secure first refusal rights for original draft selection. He will command starter slot money on the open market. Which for other teams will be palatable and even a good value. You can bet that Jacksonville will take him and probably for over 2m/yr.

Seattle already has a starter slot receiver (Harvin). Baldwin will be a 4th string guy here. Your salary structure begins to unfold when you start paying deep bench players that kind of money. What's more, is that we aren't a heavy passing team. It doesn't make sense to commit 20%+ of your cap to WRs, when you pass less than you run.

Amidon would be a 500k/yr successor with 4 years of club control. Baldwin is a guy we all love. But despite that, resigning him is going to be really tough. Even tendering him will be tough. Your 2nd string slot receiver needs to be a cheap contract. We all knew this day would come where we have to let good/productive players go and plow under their positions with cheaper rookies with club control. Amidon is a candidate to do just that.

cover-2

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2vbylka1 said:
I'd invite you to look up some Amidon tape. He's a day 3 prospect who I offered as an alternative to spending a first round pick on Beckham. There are elements to his game that are very good. Last year, he had more drops than I'd like, but he seems to have improved this year considerably. His burst out of his stance, and his ability to stop/redirect on a dime is impressive. As is his ability to work through press coverage. He is a 6-8 catch per game guy and his quickness really just jumps out at you when you watch his tape.

I just took a look at his game vs. Wake Forrest last year. I personally have a bit of a hard time judging the speed or quickness of WR's especially on youtube clips. That said, his quickness off the line does look good I just can't tell if its elite or just good. I also couldn't really tell if he has deep speed to take the cover off a defense, but with slot WR's I'm not too concerned with deep speed. He looked good at finding soft spots in the defense, quick feet to get in and out of breaks. He had a few drops in the game and I didn't see the body control to adjust to errant balls. I think have I a BC game on my DVR from last week or the week before, so I'll go back and try to get a better look at him.

I have really only been scouting bigger WR's even scouting underclassmen who are unlikely to declare for the draft. I wanted to compare Amidon to a player similer in size and also a mid-round prospect so I took a look at Oregon St WR Brandin Cooks. In the game vs Colorado Cooks played outside a lot and not too much in the slot. Cooks showed quickness, good speed, quick feet and an ability to sink his hips to get in and out of his breaks. He showed nice body control to get errant balls, but nothing special. He took a couple of good hits so he may have the toughness you would want in a slot WR. Going off one game tape of each player I would rate Cooks maybe two rounds ahead of Amidon, but one tape on each player really isn't fair.

Since we are taking smaller WR's, what are your thoughts on Cooks? And what is your opinion of Kent St RB/WR/KR Dri Archer? Archer is the same height, weight, and on the field speed as Rams WR Tavon Austin minus the experience of actually playing WR. Archer is coming off an injury, but he is healthy now hence his 90+ yard kick return for a TD last week. Archer could be the KR/PR and possibly be the 4th WR.

Here is Cooks vs. Colorado.
[youtube]5VqBlH47n7g[/youtube]

Here is Archer's highligns from 2012, the level of competition is the greatest until you see him running away from SEC Kentuky players.
[youtube]45gRznhDqHo[/youtube]

If given the option of,
A) selecting Cooks in the 3rd round (this scenario we accuire a 3rd round pick)
B) selecting Amidon in the 4th round
or
C) selecting Archer in the 4th round

Which would you choose?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Archer to me looks like just a guy. Someone that maybe makes the tail end of a roster but probably just sits on a PS somewhere.

I love Cooks. First and foremost, he has explosive legs. He has an ability to make everyone around him look like they are slow. The second thing that jumps out, is he has terrific hands. I'd go so far as to say he has the best hands in CFB. He makes great catches. He makes easy catches. He catches them clean in the hands. He has great awareness of the sidelines and works them expertly. He high points balls, undercuts defenders to get underthrown balls. His combination of sublime hands, ball tracking ability and ability to alter routes to gain positional advantage while the ball is in the air is incredibly advanced. He's leading college football in almost all stats for a legitimate reason. Of any prospect in the draft, I would say that Cooks is an actual upgrade from Baldwin in terms of ball skills at this point already. And I love Baldwin's catching skills. Cooks catches the ball cleaner and has a similar ability to Baldwin to working in limited or contested space.

He's not exactly long limbed. But he has very good body control and acceleration that gives him a very good effective catch radius.

He doesn't explode out of his stance. He false steps almost every release. For a slot guy, he has to clean that up right now. Watch his tape versus Amidon to appreciate the difference. Amidon looks like he's almost full speed within a yard of the LOS. Cooks, like his team mate from last year Wheaton, is a very good hand fighter and gets free of press coverage very very well.

Honestly, he has outside WR skills in a slot receiver body. He needs to improve on his quickness and his initial burst off the line. If he can do that, I'd put him as the best slot receiver in the draft. I am not prone to citing pedigree, as I think all prospects should be looked at independent of outside factors, but OSU does an outstanding job of teaching WR techniques and skills. Either that or they just have a great eye for talent at the HS level which I kind of doubt. Cooks demonstrates excellent ball skills, release technique and positional awareness.

Cooks should go before Amidon. I can't make that kind of determination of who I'd take, because it would mean not taking someone else in Cooks' spot. Maybe we need an OL candidate? Is a 4th/5th round OT going to be a better tackle than Amidon is a WR? I like Cooks better but I don't know if I like how the depth stacks up later in the draft. Remember, whether it's Cooks or someone else, they are still the backup slot receiver at best. I'd rather have a lesser 2nd slot guy and a starting OT than a better 2nd slot guy and not get an upgrade elsewhere. I suspect that Cable is going to get that day 2 OL prospect he wanted last year. Maybe more than one. Needs could get in the way of getting the better prospect.

Chawker

Reaction score
Let me throw this name out there. Sammy Watkins Clemson 6'1" 205 jr. WHY? I expect him to come early in the 2014 draft. He reminds me alot of GoldenTate but with more speed. Just go watch his highlight reels and you'll see. Awesome returner too. cheers :179422:

davidonmi

Reaction score
Baldwin is only going to ask for 4 or 5 million I see no reason why we couldn't keep him. I don't see a need at WR but maybe we use one pick on one. If it turns out we can't keep miller I'd draft a TE, draft 2 offensive lineman, a safety, a DT, and a pass rushing project

cover-2

Reaction score
davidonmi":1yunhxmd said:
Baldwin is only going to ask for 4 or 5 million I see no reason why we couldn't keep him. I don't see a need at WR but maybe we use one pick on one. If it turns out we can't keep miller I'd draft a TE, draft 2 offensive lineman, a safety, a DT, and a pass rushing project

We have soo many players that we need to re-sign and we are not going to have the money to sign all the players we like.

2014 Seahawks key unrestricted free agents or restrincted free agents:
(DE/DT) Michael Bennett UFA: Bennett is a must re-sign IMO.
(CB) Brandon Browner UFA: Browner seems to be a polarizing player amongst Seahawks fans, IMO he is a must re-sign.
(WR) Golden Tate UFA: Tate IMO is a must re-sign. I never thought I would say that, I didn't think his game would translate to the NFL.

2015 Seahawks key unrestricted or restricted free agents:
(DE) Cliff Avril UFA: IMO cut him after this year. Nice player, but he is no Chris Clemmons.
(CB) Richard Sherman UFA: Must re-sign. IMO he is the best defensive player not named JJ Watt.
(FS) Earl Thomas UFA: Must re-sign. His range and ball skill are elite and by careers end will be up there with the all-time great FS Ronnie Lott and Ed Reed.
(LB) K.J. Wright UFA: I would like to re-sign. If I'm re-signing Sherman, Thomas, Tate, Bennett, and Browner then I don't know if Wright or Baldwin would fit in the our cap.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Chawker":18f0thei said:
Let me throw this name out there. Sammy Watkins Clemson 6'1" 205 jr. WHY? I expect him to come early in the 2014 draft. He reminds me alot of GoldenTate but with more speed. Just go watch his highlight reels and you'll see. Awesome returner too. cheers :179422:

Who? He must have gone under the radar! :sarcasm_on:

Come on man, we have no shot, he's graded as the #1 WR on a bunch of sites.

Looking at replacements for Rice, I like Allen Robinson, though if he really is 6,3" he looks a bit bulkier than the 205-210 advertised. He's probably 6,2", not that it matters.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
If Jordan Matthews falls to us, I don't know how we could pass on him. Watching UGA/Vandy right now and he is just a playmaker. I'd would be very happy if that's our 1st rd pick.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Besides Washington, his teammate Marcus Lucas seems like a tall big body WR that we lack (6-5 220). Both I haven't heard much talk about nationally yet so maybe late round flier types that could be red zone threats, they are both seniors so they will be available next draft.