Anyone like Willson better than graham?

flmmkrz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":dz4hl154 said:
Willson's still a pretty inconsistent blocker. Sometimes he dominates. Also saw him blown up a few times vs. Tennessee.

We might also consider whether Willson is getting more opportunities because Graham draws away coverage.

this entirely. Its easy to be the overlooked te while the other guys drawing double coverage.

Willson is the better blocker but if he was our starter I would be thinking we need to look draft for a better te.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
If we would use Jimmy like NO used Jimmy it wouldn't even be close.
Sadly, it has become clear that we will not do this.
I think that value-wise, Luke is a better fit for this team.

Joygazm

Reaction score
Seymour":12cvzpzn said:
kobebryant":12cvzpzn said:
Joygazm":12cvzpzn said:
The FO Signed Willson to a 1 Year deal - after letting him walk to FA.
Is Willson doing more this year then last year when they let him walk?

Willson is only here next season if Graham is gone because they will need bodies, or if he fails to find any interest on the market and the team wants him back.

Willson does nothing that any average TE in the NFL could not do.

He is for that reason a quality back up on this team, and a starter maybe on 16 teams in the league.

I would argue that he runs considerably faster than the average TE does.

Exactly.
6'5" 250 4.46 speed and 38" vertical with nice catch radius is what got him here to begin with.

He is NOT your average TE in athleticism.

And yet with all that athleticism, he remains an average TE in the NFL.

You are what your production says you are, and his production says hes average.

2016 50 TE's had more Rec
2015 44 TE's had more Rec - Added Jimmy
2014 39 TE's had more Rec
2013 44 TE's had more Rec

Career

Luke Willson
Games - 60
Rec - 81

Dwayne Allen
Games - 62
Rec - 126

John Carlson
Games - 90
Rec - 210

Richard Rodgers
Games - 52
Rec - 110

Coby Fleener
Games - 80
Rec - 244

Hes an Average TE along with the rest of the Average Journeyman TE's.

Sure Ill give you he has higher end speed.
When the only counter is to say he can run faster then the league average TE, you know he has a replaceable and average skill set overall.

Seymour

Reaction score
Joygazm":3ull27lr said:
....And yet with all that athleticism, he remains an average TE in the NFL.

Correct. Now you've got it.

Our O coordinator just got through turning Jimmy Graham into nearly an average TE as well.

Look for the common denominator for your answer.

Joygazm

Reaction score
Seymour":1j06s2jz said:
Joygazm":1j06s2jz said:

Our O coordinator just got through turning Jimmy Graham into nearly an average TE as well.

Correct hes an average TE.

Drafted in the 5th

Let walk in FA

Signed a 1 year deal

50 TE's had more production last season

Average.

OC has had a top 5 offense.
Luke was average on that offense also.

Seymour

Reaction score
Joygazm":3l32j1ms said:
Seymour":3l32j1ms said:
Joygazm":3l32j1ms said:

Correct hes an average TE.

Drafted in the 5th

Let walk in FA

Signed a 1 year deal

50 TE's had more production last season

Average.

OC has had a top 5 offense.
Luke was average on that offense also.

The whole point is he has above average skills, but they are not, and will not be completely utilized here. That is what people are saying, he has untapped potential. Bevell struggles using the TE in his offense, so go cheap with Willson over Graham.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Considering that Luke is tied for the most receiving touchdowns on the team and Jimmy is one of four receivers on the Hawks with triple digit receiving yards, I'd say it's a complete whiff to say that Bevell STRUGGLES to incorporate tight ends into the offense.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1ynqphr5 said:
Considering that Luke is tied for the most receiving touchdowns on the team and Jimmy is one of four receivers on the Hawks with triple digit receiving yards, I'd say it's a complete whiff to say that Bevell STRUGGLES to incorporate tight ends into the offense.

You love to really put the spin on things don't you? 4 games in and Luke has 2 TD's.

TWO!!!

And Jimmy is 1 of 4 yet the highest paid over the last 3 years.....just gag me :pukeface:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I wish we could Frankenstein the two together.

Willson's good at the dirty work, has some toughness and is a decent blocker..............and Graham's a freak athlete with ridiculous skills.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2e6oo9tx said:
Siouxhawk":2e6oo9tx said:

You love to really put the spin on things don't you? 4 games in and Luke has 2 TD's.

TWO!!!

And Jimmy is 1 of 4 yet the highest paid over the last 3 years.....just gag me :pukeface:
Just illustrating your over-the-top and inaccurate use of the word "struggle." It's obvious that tight ends serve a valuable need in our offense. How many of Doug's catches have come from him drawing single coverage because teams have chosen to bracket Jimmy with 2 or 3 defenders the past couple of years?

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Joygazm":31qrn66c said:
Seymour":31qrn66c said:
kobebryant":31qrn66c said:
Joygazm":31qrn66c said:
The FO Signed Willson to a 1 Year deal - after letting him walk to FA.
Is Willson doing more this year then last year when they let him walk?

Willson is only here next season if Graham is gone because they will need bodies, or if he fails to find any interest on the market and the team wants him back.

Willson does nothing that any average TE in the NFL could not do.

He is for that reason a quality back up on this team, and a starter maybe on 16 teams in the league.

I would argue that he runs considerably faster than the average TE does.

Exactly.
6'5" 250 4.46 speed and 38" vertical with nice catch radius is what got him here to begin with.

He is NOT your average TE in athleticism.

And yet with all that athleticism, he remains an average TE in the NFL.

You are what your production says you are, and his production says hes average.

2016 50 TE's had more Rec
2015 44 TE's had more Rec - Added Jimmy
2014 39 TE's had more Rec
2013 44 TE's had more Rec

Career

Luke Willson
Games - 60
Rec - 81

Dwayne Allen
Games - 62
Rec - 126

John Carlson
Games - 90
Rec - 210

Richard Rodgers
Games - 52
Rec - 110

Coby Fleener
Games - 80
Rec - 244

Hes an Average TE along with the rest of the Average Journeyman TE's.

Sure Ill give you he has higher end speed.
When the only counter is to say he can run faster then the league average TE, you know he has a replaceable and average skill set overall.
Id like to see the number of targets those other guys get compared to luke. All i know is when luke is targetted, i often see him make plays. Hes made more plays than graham has during his time here and hes not even the primary option at TE anymore and still outplays graham. He also made big plays in the playoffs.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3tqljoix said:
Seymour":3tqljoix said:
Siouxhawk":3tqljoix said:

TWO!!!

Just illustrating your over-the-top and inaccurate use of the word "struggle." It's obvious that tight ends serve a valuable need in our offense. How many of Doug's catches have come from him drawing single coverage because teams have chosen to bracket Jimmy with 2 or 3 defenders the past couple of years?
Doug had like 10 tds after jimmy got injured in 2015 and he was the promary option after jimmy got injured.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3nwzexh0 said:
Seymour":3nwzexh0 said:
Siouxhawk":3nwzexh0 said:

TWO!!!

You need to watch closer. Teams are not doubling Jimmy much at all anymore. No need since Bevell killed the guys spirit and he's checked out for the trip home.

It is no mystery (as pointed out), that this team took off offensively when the "top threat" Graham was out in 2nd half of 2015 that our offense finally took off. No TE for Bevell to worry about having to getting touches freed up his mind to call plays that made more sense to him.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RussB":3tx6wxxw said:
Siouxhawk":3tx6wxxw said:
Seymour":3tx6wxxw said:
Siouxhawk":3tx6wxxw said:

TWO!!!

Doug had like 10 tds after jimmy got injured in 2015 and he was the promary option after jimmy got injured.
And last year? Do you not think the attention Jimmy gets helps Doug get more 1-on-1 coverage?

My feeling is that Jimmy does many of the under-the-radar things Kearse used to do to free up our receivers. Willson too. We have three productive receivers to boast and they are getting some help. All-22 would answer some of these questions.

Chapow

Reaction score
RussB":295swcjx said:
Id like to see the number of targets those other guys get compared to luke. All i know is when luke is targetted, i often see him make plays. Hes made more plays than graham has during his time here and hes not even the primary option at TE anymore and still outplays graham. He also made big plays in the playoffs.

I'd really like to know how you arrived at the conclusion that Luke has made more plays and outplays Graham, because if you base it on any kind of stats that I am aware of it's not remotely true.

Graham's first season in Seattle was 2015 so I'll start there.

2015 Graham, 11 games, 48 receptions, 605 yards, 2 TDs.

2015 Willson, 14 games, 17 receptions, 213 yards, 1 TD.

2016 Graham, 16 games, 65 receptions, 923 yards, 6 TDs.

2016 Willson, 11 games, 15 receptions, 129 yards, 2 TDs.

As far as the playoffs go, Graham has played in 2 playoff games for Seattle, Willson has played in 9. They each have 1 playoff TD as Seahawks. Yes, Willson has more receptions and yards than Graham in the playoffs, but then again he's played in 7 more games than Graham and still doesn't have more TDs. Also, out of 9 playoff games, Willson did either nothing or pretty close to nothing in 7 of them.

Tical21

Reaction score
Russ isn't good when Jimmy is his primary receiver. It takes away from his point guard mentality. When Jimmy goes out, the tempo of Russ' progressions increases, and the offense clicks. Luke can be used as a 3rd or 4th option and occasional big play guy. make occasional big catches, and all is right with thr world. Jimmy is probably the better player, but our offense functions better with Luke. Truthfully, I'd rather have a blocker than either of them.

lukerguy

Reaction score
If Graham put up the stats Willson does, people would be having a much bigger conniption then they are already about JG.

I like both of them a lot. Expectation for Graham are much higher because of what he did in the dynamic Saints offense, what he paid, and what he makes.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I will admit that the last game or two it felt the offense just played better when Willson was on the field rather than or even in addition to JG. Feelings can be misleading, but so can stats...

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Isn't Tanner Mcevoy also considered a TE?I mean I can see him filling in more and playing that after JG is gone.
Him and Willson with that speed would be nice.I like LW more than JG as we cannot use Jimmy right or rather RW cannot seem to more or less.