Are most GM's really that clueless?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Jville":2q0nb3hh said:
Why does it seem like so many GM's are clueless in picking talent? Especially at the quarterback position.

I'm guessing because hindsight is 20/20.

No kidding. Before we all pretend like we knew RW be taking this team to a SB championship this year. Lets think back HONESTLY. RW excelled in the preseason last year, BUT he got the 2nd/3rd string snaps. Some argued, he LOOKED good because he was playing against the opponents bench. i.e. Think about even this year's preseason. T-Jack looked better than RW, because of the caliber opponent they were playing.

Then...as 2012's season went on, loss to Arizona due to failure in the red zone, people already screaming bloody murder. Win against the Cowboys that was due to special teams and defense, our offense still looked piss poor at that time. GB win controversial (to anyone outside of the Hawk fan base), loss to STL. I think this may have been the game he threw his first pick six? Either way NO ONE was impressed with the offense yet, or even convinced by it. I clearly remember the "bring out Flynn" chants were out in full force at this time.

Now just imagine...had the JS and PC, had similar thoughts. We brought out Flynn. RW remained on the bench (never to get the snaps to become what he is today), Flynn continued to prove he was NOT the QB we needed for this team. We sure as hell would not have made playoffs last year, and I highly doubt we would have made it this year, especially not a SB ring. People would be screaming for JS and PC's head right now.

Just saying, things could have turned out VERY VERY differently, the 2012 draft for the Hawks would have been correctly called an F. So let's not all say I told you so. Hell I made a bet on the Hawk to win it all this year sometime in June or July. I'm not going around telling people I told you so and I knew all along we were gonna to make it and win the SB.

Starting RW over Flynn (especially coming off Flynn's huge performance in GB and giving him that paycheck) was a huge risk huge reward. It paid off.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":g1j3wdv7 said:
I actually think a lot of them ARE clueless. So many get caught up in the "conventional wisdom" BS, and are too stubborn to think outside of the box or are in fear of being ridiculed if they do.

I'm convinced, that these coordinators, coaches, and GMs know more about talent and football than all of us combined. You don't see anyone offering us their salaries to do their jobs. Unlike the rest of us, these guys have to make decisions that have huge consequences viewed and judged by millions of people. Their successes and failures are amplified.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I was 100% on board with Russell once Pete name him the starter. I even suspected it might happen based on the comments Pete made following rookie mini camp. He sounded so much like he had when Matt Bartley came to USC.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":193apytv said:
I was 100% on board with Russell once Pete name him the starter. I even suspected it might happen based on the comments Pete made following rookie mini camp. He sounded so much like he had when Matt Bartley came to USC.

Good for you. I'll admit, I was on the fence. I wasn't one of those people screaming bring in Flynn after the first 2-3 games of the regular season. But lets say if the Patriots game never happened, and he was showing no improvement, I may have been one of the people calling for Flynn.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
What about scouts ?

CB Richard Sherman

Sherman’s combine scouting report is probably the one that turned out to be the most egregiously inaccurate. In fact, the write-up pretty much states it as a foregone conclusion that Sherman does not have the skill-set to start, let alone star, at the NFL level. Gems include:

“Sherman is a size prospect with some good intangibles that will help him mold into a contributing backup corner for a press-heavy team. However, he does not possess the natural coverage instincts, fluidity or burst to be considered a future starter.”

“Is comfortable and capable in press man, using his size to disrupt receivers' releases off the line, but doesn't show enough make up speed to consistently recover when beaten.”

“Awareness in zone and off-man are only adequate. Has average ball skills but some upside as a playmaker. Tough against the run but still developing from a technical standpoint. Sherman is a Day 3 prospect.”

If Sherman puts those intangibles to work, he might be able to compete for a starting job someday!

Verdict: Miss

"Hit or miss: NFL combine evaluations of Seattle Seahawks stars"
http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/...seattle-seahawks-stars/#20879101=1&20915103=0

ivotuk

Reaction score
rigelian":2e3i1p2z said:
Nah, the GM's aren't clueless. They believe that if they have some numbers to justify their decision making they're safer than if they made their decision based on their gut or subjective evaluation of a player. They're probably right. I mean do you seriously think anyone got fired for not selecting Tom Brady or Russell Wilson earlier in the draft?

Great point. Most GMs are more concerned about getting their contract renewed than anything else. So it's no wonder that they get fat in their little boars nest of an office and lose track of the real world. I mean the Jets hired Tannenbaum as GM! Guy is an idiot.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2wmu8xyk said:
Jville":2wmu8xyk said:
Why does it seem like so many GM's are clueless in picking talent? Especially at the quarterback position.

I'm guessing because hindsight is 20/20.

No kidding. Before we all pretend like we knew RW be taking this team to a SB championship this year. Lets think back HONESTLY. RW excelled in the preseason last year, BUT he got the 2nd/3rd string snaps. Some argued, he LOOKED good because he was playing against the opponents bench. i.e. Think about even this year's preseason. T-Jack looked better than RW, because of the caliber opponent they were playing.

Then...as 2012's season went on, loss to Arizona due to failure in the red zone, people already screaming bloody murder. Win against the Cowboys that was due to special teams and defense, our offense still looked piss poor at that time. GB win controversial (to anyone outside of the Hawk fan base), loss to STL. I think this may have been the game he threw his first pick six? Either way NO ONE was impressed with the offense yet, or even convinced by it. I clearly remember the "bring out Flynn" chants were out in full force at this time.

Now just imagine...had the JS and PC, had similar thoughts. We brought out Flynn. RW remained on the bench (never to get the snaps to become what he is today), Flynn continued to prove he was NOT the QB we needed for this team. We sure as hell would not have made playoffs last year, and I highly doubt we would have made it this year, especially not a SB ring. People would be screaming for JS and PC's head right now.

Just saying, things could have turned out VERY VERY differently, the 2012 draft for the Hawks would have been correctly called an F. So let's not all say I told you so. Hell I made a bet on the Hawk to win it all this year sometime in June or July. I'm not going around telling people I told you so and I knew all along we were gonna to make it and win the SB.

Starting RW over Flynn (especially coming off Flynn's huge performance in GB and giving him that paycheck) was a huge risk huge reward. It paid off.

I dont think it was that much of a risk. I was screming for Wilson to start the next preseason game after seeing him for the first time in the first preseason game. After his first start in the preseason I was praying that he would be the starter for the season and I was telling everyone at work he would be the best QB that was drafted that year and everyone will just have to see.

Originally I was not too happy about the pick on draft day but I read up on him and watched the Gruden QB video and was excited to see him in action. I was not on the bench Wilson train because we were competitive in every game and in some of the games it wasnt even his fault. The Arizona game had like 2 drops for the win in the endzone and the Rams game the TE fell down leading to the game ending INT.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1yqhv96z said:
Sports Hernia":1yqhv96z said:
I actually think a lot of them ARE clueless. So many get caught up in the "conventional wisdom" BS, and are too stubborn to think outside of the box or are in fear of being ridiculed if they do.

I'm convinced, that these coordinators, coaches, and GMs know more about talent and football than all of us combined. You don't see anyone offering us their salaries to do their jobs. Unlike the rest of us, these guys have to make decisions that have huge consequences viewed and judged by millions of people. Their successes and failures are amplified.
:1: :34853_doh:
OMG, really? "They are in charge thus they cannot be wrong mindset", you can do better than that. :141847_bnono:

I'm not claiming to know more than these guys, but sometimes it's obvious right away when they screw up. It's usually because they box themselves into the mindset of "conventional wisdom". That is what makes John and Pete so great, they have the ability to think outside of that box.

Think, I'm wrong? Go read the scouting reports of all of the players currently on Seattle's roster pre-draft and see what they said about the players. Focus your attention on Seattle's first and second string players, and see how many MISSES these so called "experts" you are defending were wrong. No offense but it makes your post look silly.