Are the Seahawks capped out for 2024?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yeah, Metcalf saves next to nothing cap-wise. Legitimate chance of him being traded, though, just from a viewpoint of needing more draft capital if they want to take a big swing at QB.
They also need to bolster the offense and defensive lines. Maybe a LB to be groomed under Mr Wagner .

I haven't soured on Love as of now. He's young and a lot cheaper than our dynamic duo. Hopefully Jerrick Reed can come back and develop. The rest need to be unloaded, they should figure out a way to keep Fant and then do something crazy ...like actually use him. He's a good player IMHO.

Reactions: Xxx

QWERTY

Reaction score
They also need to bolster the offense and defensive lines. Maybe a LB to be groomed under Mr Wagner .

I haven't soured on Love as of now. He's young and a lot cheaper than our dynamic duo. Hopefully Jerrick Reed can come back and develop. The rest need to be unloaded, they should figure out a way to keep Fant and then do something crazy ...like actually use him. He's a good player IMHO.

Fant is fine, but I think Parkinson is the better TE and didn't KJ rave about him as well?

Parkinson will be a FA next season though.

But it seems a waste for Dissly, Parkinson and Fant with limited playing time.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The trade Metcalf ship has sailed. He's having a very poor year this season, and he's raised a few red flags with his behavior that might scare some teams off. No one is going to pay us the amount of draft capital it would take to make the trade worthwhile to us.

I'd like to keep Dissly, but only if they change their offensive scheme to involve the tight ends in the passing game. He's the best all around tight end we've had since Zach Miller. But we're only targeting the tight ends a handful of times per game.

The others, I wouldn't even blink if we let them go.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The trade Metcalf ship has sailed. He's having a very poor year this season, and he's raised a few red flags with his behavior that might scare some teams off. No one is going to pay us the amount of draft capital it would take to make the trade worthwhile to us.

I'd like to keep Dissly, but only if they change their offensive scheme to involve the tight ends in the passing game. He's the best all around tight end we've had since Zach Miller. But we're only targeting the tight ends a handful of times per game.

The others, I wouldn't even blink if we let them go.
Again, just an illustration of effects on cap rather than an endorsement of a trade.

Also, it's really not that poor of a season. He's on pace for around 1100 receiving.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Fant is fine, but I think Parkinson is the better TE and didn't KJ rave about him as well?

Parkinson will be a FA next season though.

But it seems a waste for Dissly, Parkinson and Fant with limited playing time.
Yes Seattle has 3 TEs that could flourish in a different system. I like Parkinson too. I really wonder if Seattle has a chance of re signing him or if they let him walk.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Also, it's really not that poor of a season (for Metcalf). He's on pace for around 1100 receiving.
Metcalf is averaging 67.8 yards per game. That ranks him 24th in the league in receiving yards per game.

That's not going to register with any GM if we were to put him on the market.

Xxx

Reaction score
The answer is a big "no."

Yes, if you look it up -now-, they have almost nothing. But they have a deceptive amount of outs and common sense cuts for this coming offseason.

Here's a quick simulation of some common sense cuts, which a few optional trades. We can make $50 million of space, and right quick.

View attachment 62132

TL;DR: The cap space for 2024 is misleading. There is a lot of fat on the books that can be trimmed, and pronto.
Dk only saves 1.5mil? Wow…

Xxx

Reaction score
OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Metcalf is averaging 67.8 yards per game. That ranks him 24th in the league in receiving yards per game.

That's not going to register with any GM if we were to put him on the market.
I gotta disagree with that. 24th in receiving yards per game on a dysfunctional offense is impressive. Just look at some of the names right in his vicinity!

Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Davante Adams, Garrett Wilson, Calvin Ridley, George Pickens, Cooper Kupp... 24th is a pretty good place to be on this list, especially sharing the field with a partner like Lockett. He splits almost dead even with Lockett on target share. Many of the other guys on this list are getting fed 2 or 3 more targets per game.

He's as advertised. Not the best WR in the league, but a genuine WR1.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Dk only saves 1.5mil? Wow…
Saves a lot more in future years, to be fair. Not much immediate relief, though. I wouldn't explore trading him unless they're reeeally in love with one of the non-Caleb quarterbacks.

Xxx

Reaction score
I gotta disagree with that. 24th in receiving yards per game on a dysfunctional offense is impressive. Just look at some of the names right in his vicinity!

View attachment 62144

Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Davante Adams, Garrett Wilson, Calvin Ridley, George Pickens, Cooper Kupp... 24th is a pretty good place to be on this list, especially sharing the field with a partner like Lockett
Play calling play calling play calling…. Imagine if he had 7 more td’s…

RiverDog

Reaction score

View attachment 62144

Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Davante Adams, Garrett Wilson, Calvin Ridley, George Pickens, Cooper Kupp... 24th is a pretty good place to be on this list, especially sharing the field with a partner like Lockett. He splits almost dead even with Lockett on target share. Many of the other guys on this list are getting fed 2 or 3 more targets per game.

He's as advertised. Not the best WR in the league, but a genuine WR1.
That target share also has a downside to it in that Metcalf is only catching a little over half of the passes thrown his direction: 80 targets, 43 receptions, one of the worst, if not the worst, target/catch ratios in the league. Are they all due to poor throws/decisions? That's a lot of incompletions to rationalize by a "dysfunctional offense".

We can argue about what his stats mean or how he came about them, dysfunctional offenses, poor quarterbacking, play calling, and so on, but at the end of the day, Metcalf owns those stats. PFF's player grades ahead of Week 13 has Metcalf ranked as the 28th overall wide receiver. He's not having a Pro Bowl season, not anywhere close.

Plus, toss in Metcalf's reputation for drawing penalties, his poor blocking, his limited versatility (how many jet sweeps, bubble screens, or reverses have you seen Metcalf involved in?), and it becomes apparent that teams are unlikely to offer the type of bounty anywhere close to what the Chiefs got for Tyreek Hill.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
That would be foolish. If so, they should not go after any DL in FA.
No it wouldn't. Paying $51M over 3 years (avg 17M year) to Dre'mont Jones is foolish. It's better to cut bait than to keep going. Dre'mont is not performing at $17M year DE level this season. They got rid of Shelby Harris last offseason in a similar situation.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What is the cap hit if they release Jones next year? Just curious. Any dead money? I just don't follow cap stuff.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
That target share also has a downside to it in that Metcalf is only catching a little over half of the passes thrown his direction: 80 targets, 43 receptions, one of the worst, if not the worst, target/catch ratios in the league. Are they all due to poor throws/decisions? That's a lot of incompletions to rationalize by a "dysfunctional offense".

We can argue about what his stats mean or how he came about them, dysfunctional offenses, poor quarterbacking, play calling, and so on, but at the end of the day, Metcalf owns those stats. PFF's player grades ahead of Week 13 has Metcalf ranked as the 28th overall wide receiver. He's not having a Pro Bowl season, not anywhere close.

Plus, toss in Metcalf's reputation for drawing penalties, his poor blocking, his limited versatility (how many jet sweeps, bubble screens, or reverses have you seen Metcalf involved in?), and it becomes apparent that teams are unlikely to offer the type of bounty anywhere close to what the Chiefs got for Tyreek Hill.
Firstly, I'll just say that I really don't care about PFF grades. No one pays players based off of PFF grades.

Secondly, Metcalf is still producing. He'll never be a high catch rate guy, he's a prototype height/weight/speed nightmare. He's in the mold of Calvin Johnson physically, who also had a notoriously low catch rate. Metcalf has a high yard per catch, the ability to stretch a field, and will put up 1000 regardless. As much as we want to neg his soft skills, that's the absolute bottom line. The rest doesn't matter. He produces, and he stretches. Teams want that, because it's hard to find.

You know his real comp, as far as what he does for a team? The late Vincent Jackson. Metcalf has produced at his rate to this point in his career, and Vincent had multiple sub-50% catch rates in the NFL. Vincent was still garnering offers for high second rounders, and that was 7 years into his career off a 250 yard season.

Thirdly, I wouldn't expect them to get a Tyreek Hill type of bounty for him. He'd garner perhaps a late first and a day 3 sweetener.

This is not an objectively bad year for DK.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Firstly, I'll just say that I really don't care about PFF grades. No one pays players based off of PFF grades.

Secondly, Metcalf is still producing. He'll never be a high catch rate guy, he's a prototype height/weight/speed nightmare. He's in the mold of Calvin Johnson physically, who also had a notoriously low catch rate. Metcalf has a high yard per catch, the ability to stretch a field, and will put up 1000 regardless. As much as we want to neg his soft skills, that's the absolute bottom line. The rest doesn't matter. He produces, and he stretches. Teams want that, because it's hard to find.

You know his real comp, as far as what he does for a team? The late Vincent Jackson. Metcalf has produced at his rate to this point in his career, and Vincent had multiple sub-50% catch rates in the NFL. Vincent was still garnering offers for high second rounders, and that was 7 years into his career off a 250 yard season.

Thirdly, I wouldn't expect them to get a Tyreek Hill type of bounty for him. He'd garner perhaps a late first and a day 3 sweetener.

This is not an objectively bad year for DK.
You might not care about PFF grades, but I can guarantee you that GM's do pay attention to them. Of course, they don't pay players based on them, but they are the gold standard with regards to player evaluations and are referenced all the time.

Secondly, yes, Metcalf is producing some, but nothing eye popping or that would make a GM sit up and take notice. I'm not advocating trading him for a bag of peanuts. I wouldn't part with him for anything less than a first rounder plus, and I don't think a team is going to bait the hook with that kind of capital. He's not a top 10 receiver, he's not versatile like a Hill or Deebo, he has a huge contract that has to be honored, and he has some baggage. It's just my opinion, but I don't see anyone offering up enough bait to make it worth giving him up.

Last edited:

Xxx

Reaction score

I saw at least 3 overthrows last week

Latest posts