Are We the 2011 Giants?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The 2011 New York Giants show there can be exceptions to rules. They were a lot like we are this year. I believe they had a bottom of the league defense with a pretty good offense. They went 9-7, with a better road record than home record. At one point, they had a 4 game losing streak. Our worst streak ended at 3 games. Once they made the playoffs, they beat everyone, including the previously undefeated Patriots to win it all.

You appear to have confused the two times when the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl this century. In 2011, the Patriots were 13-3. Their undefeated-until-being-beaten-by-the-Giants-in-the-Super-Bowl (18-1) season was 2007.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
I endorse the OP's message. Seahawks victories have always been, and always will be a great joy to my life. I will never, ever, ever wish for a loss for any reason. Ever.

Seconded. Heartily.

And no Seahawk team (or any other team) will ever play to lose a game "for better draft positioning" or for any other reason. The idea is preposterous. I don't know why some fans ever even bring it up.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
You appear to have confused the two times when the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl this century. In 2011, the Patriots were 13-3. Their undefeated-until-being-beaten-by-the-Giants-in-the-Super-Bowl (18-1) season was 2007.
You’re probably right. I was just going from memory. The main point was that they were a team that struggled through the regular season and ended up beating better teams on the road. I appreciate the correction though.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
You’re probably right. I was just going from memory. The main point was that they were a team that struggled through the regular season and ended up beating better teams on the road. I appreciate the correction though.

Oh, that was the story of the 2011 Giants. They were the first team in NFL history with a negative point differential that reached the Super Bowl.

But that year they beat the 13-3 (and eventually 15-4) Patriots in the Super Bowl, not the 16-0 (and eventually 18-1) Patriots of 2007.

Last edited:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Hopeful but not confident sums up my thoughts. Our D is not good and Brooks being out makes it worse.
Call me crazy, but I think Barton did a great job sliding over to Brooks position, and Tanner Muse did a better job at Bartons position.

Then again, Mike White looked high af out there so that opinion may come crashing down Sunday

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I think Barton did a great job sliding over to Brooks position, and Tanner Muse did a better job at Bartons position.

Then again, Mike White looked high af out there so that opinion may come crashing down Sunday

Yeah, Mike White looked like he should not have been out there IMO.

Our defense did look better against the run like you said though so I'm optimistic.

bileever

Reaction score
This is the NFL, where things can turn in an instant. For example, how did the Lions go from 1-5 and a laughing stock at the beginning of the season, to being a formidable team in its last six games? For reasons that are difficult to comprehend, a team can gel seemingly overnight or fall apart. So that's why you just want to get into the playoffs, because once you're there, all bets are off. I'm not saying that I've seen signs of this team improving--because I haven't, just that weirder things have happened.

keasley45

Reaction score
This is the NFL, where things can turn in an instant. For example, how did the Lions go from 1-5 and a laughing stock at the beginning of the season, to being a formidable team in its last six games? For reasons that are difficult to comprehend, a team can gel seemingly overnight or fall apart. So that's why you just want to get into the playoffs, because once you're there, all bets are off. I'm not saying that I've seen signs of this team improving--because I haven't, just that weirder things have happened.

That HAS to be what happens for us to be competitive. Better communication on both sides of the ball. The defense coming together around this new hybrid scheme that theyve been struggling to nail down (Maybe Barton playing middle makes a difference). And the O-line finding its groove and a way to shore-up the G - C - G problems we've had. If it 'clicks' for them, who knows how much noise they can make over the next 5 weeks....

They've been consistently beating themselves as much as any team has beaten them, particularly on defense.

cymatica

Reaction score
Both the 2007 and 2011 Giants teams had great dlines.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
If the 1983 Seahawks can go into the Orange Bowl and successfully take on the Mighty Don Shula and the Killer Bees, then the 2022 Seahawks can go into San Francisco and successfully take on puny little Purdy and the 49ers.

"So you're saying there's a chance!"

Lagartixa

Reaction score
If the 1983 Seahawks can go into the Orange Bowl and successfully take on the Mighty Don Shula and the Killer Bees, then the 2022 Seahawks can go into San Francisco and successfully take on puny little Purdy and the 49ers.

"So you're saying there's a chance!"

I grew up in southern Maine, and I was the only Seahawks fan I knew. My dad always supported me being a Seahawks fan, and he developed a certain fondness for the 'Hawks because of me, but I don't think he ever would have described himself as a Seahawks fan. But man, did he ever pay attention to the Seahawks. There were times, like my first year in college and the first couple of years I lived in Brazil, when it was hard for me to follow the Seahawks, and Dad kept me as up-to-date on Seahawks news as he could.

After the Seahawks beat the Broncos in the wildcard game after the '83 season, one of the announcers said something to the effect of "the question now is 'can the Dolphins ride the wave?'" (The Seahawks were the team that brought "the wave" to the NFL). It was just after that that Dad decided to sit down and have a little chat with me. He went over some of the highlights of the Seahawks (magical) season and talked about how good it was that the team had made the playoffs and won a playoff game. He wanted to make sure my expectations weren't too high in case the season ended with the Seahawks having to go to Miami and face a very strong Dolphins team in its home stadium.

When the Seahawks actually beat the Dolphins the next week, I went outside in my numberless royal-blue Seahawks jersey (I had gotten a number-and-letter kit with it, and I always intended to put the number 10 and probably the name ZORN on it, but never got around to doing so, so I played a jillion neighborhood football games in a numberless jersey) and my Seahawks helmet and ran around the neighborhood yelling and waving my arms in celebration. I'm not sure if anyone saw or heard me, because it was around 16:00 or so on the last day of the year in Maine (and keep in mind that while it wouldn't have been dark yet, the sun would be gone behind the trees by then), so everyone's doors and windows were closed and I don't know if anyone happened to look out a window and see the town Seahawks fan celebrating the greatest sports-fan moment of his life to that point.

F**kin' Raiders.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Definitely some similarities between the 2011 Giants and 2022 Hawks.

- mediocre defense
- streaky QB
- Giants had an even worse rushing attack

But I don't think this = Hawks are destined for the SB. I don't claim to remember all the teams the Giants beat on their way to the SB that year, but I doubt they were the caliber of the Niner team we're playing Saturday.

NFL playoffs are about momentum, physicality and health most years. Not sure we check off any of these boxes.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Definitely some similarities between the 2011 Giants and 2022 Hawks.

- mediocre defense
- streaky QB
- Giants had an even worse rushing attack

But I don't think this = Hawks are destined for the SB. I don't claim to remember all the teams the Giants beat on their way to the SB that year, but I doubt they were the caliber of the Niner team we're playing Saturday.

NFL playoffs are about momentum, physicality and health most years. Not sure we check off any of these boxes.
Here's the link to profootball reference for 2011 NY Giants - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2011.htm.

They beat the Falcons, Packers, 49ers (NFCCG), and Patriots on their way to becoming the SB champs.

They played their wildcard game vs. Falcons at home (MetLife Stadium) whereas the Seahawks will have to play all their games in the playoffs on the road.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
This is the NFL, where things can turn in an instant. For example, how did the Lions go from 1-5 and a laughing stock at the beginning of the season, to being a formidable team in its last six games?
Most likely the same reason the Seahawks had a six game run where they looked like they were great during the middle of the season. Mediocre teams can go on bad runs or good runs.