Aros' Official Half Ass Analysis of Game 1

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Full disclosure.

My daughter's soccer game started at 1:30pm PST. I went to her game thinking all was right with the world as long as I could listen to Steve and Dave. Nope. For some reason or another, I apparently was in some Bermuda Triangle for service. So I spent the first 25 minutes looking for a signal in vein (of course while keeping one eye on the game, right?!) and finally got a signal where I heard we were up 10-7. Then the signal stopped again.

The next signal I got was Broncos 17, Seahawks 10. Grrrr.

After my kiddo's game was over (they won 4-0 thank you for asking) I booked it home and there was my Bronco's neighbor waiting for me. Gloating that they pretty much had the game in hand by halftime. I told him to shut up, the game was close, lol.

We both spent the rest of the game watching at his place. Libations were flowing. It was a surreal atmosphere. If you knew me really well you would know I am a hermit when it comes to watching Seahawks away games. I want the whole house to myself. I don't want a Soul to get in the way of my hyper-neurosis. I fast forward, I rewind...I am RARELY watching real time.

Don't judge. I have my reasons, lol.

For this game, I spent the second half watching the game at a diehard Bronco's fan's house. It was actually pretty damn fun. I cheered (too) loudly when we made a big play, as he did when they made their plays. But what I took away the most in this game was that this was the first Seahawks game in YEARS where I was completely chill. I wasn't throwing pillows at walls with every bad play. Curse words were at a premium. I just didn't seem to have that tight intensity I normally have.

I assume that is because expectations are low this year. I mean, did you honestly EXPECT to beat the Broncos today?

Be honest. No, you did not.

And that is perfectly okay. (And if you did? Congratulations, it earns you nothing.)

So I have taken enough of your time, and if you have read my drivel to this point I am sincerely grateful and honored. So therefore I suppose I should offer some kind of post game analysis. Okay, here it goes...

-- Russell looked like a QB who is under a new scheme with a new OC for the first time in his career. Oh wait...

-- Carson had his moments. That leap was fantastic. Penny looks sloooow. I know he has burst but show up young man.

-- It's hard to fault our OL against Von Miller. He makes ANY team look like crap.

-- I am worried about Doug.

-- I am sad that Shaquem couldn't shine today. There are so many kids looking up to him. I KNOW he will be a star one day but it's going to take some time.

-- A lot of encouraging defensive plays today. This may not be the LOB Era defense but give these players some time to gell and I think they will be just fine.

-- Sea Bass is beginning to scare me but I think it's the place holder more than anything. They need to bond QUICKLY.

-- Close game. Could have easily gone our way but that last series was a classic Keystone Cops scenerio.

-- 0-2 is likely after next Sunday, but fear not 12's, I still see this team building steam as the season goes on. REBUILDING IS FUN!! WEEEEE!!!

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Always a great voice of reason Aros. Cheers! I truly believe we catch fire as the season goes on.

We have an extremely tough schedule as well. I think it’s hard for some Hawks fans to accept this after years of success, but there will be growing pains. New receivers, new (extremely complex) system, many rookies, new coaches. GIVE.US.TIME

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
1. As of right now... there were growing pains but that was to be expected and this game was very very winnable despite everything that went wrong plus being on the road in a very tough environment.

2. As of right now... the NFC West is winless. Cards and 49ers both lost to NFC opponents. So Seahawks losing to an AFC opponent isn’t as bad and if the Rams win tomorrow it isn’t as good. If the Rams lose, then pretty much week 1 doesn’t matter and the battle for the division restarts.

3. Will say...Seahawks even through all the mistakes still played one hell of competitive game and you can see the flashes of brilliance underneath all the wrinkles. Now it’s about if we can iron out all those wrinkles.

4. Will say... at least in one game... Vegas got the spread covered.

endzorn

Reaction score
I hate not believing, but I didn’t believe we’d win. I was at the game and the Seahawks fans there seemed to feel the same as I did. We were outplayed and a win would feel like a gift.

It’s fun to see something new, but it’s sad to see the definitive end to the historic defense.

Side note...That was the second time I’ve been to a Broncos game and the first time since 1998. Those fans know how to make noise. Very fun environment and despite a terrible first experience, the fans were great today.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
There going 0-2 according to some of you but don't worry there going to be fine. Well that's great I feel so much better . :sarcasm_on:

Steve2222

Reaction score
- A lot of good teams lost ugly Week 1. We played a terrible game, yet still lost by 3 on the road to a team that is invincible in home openers. Seattle has also only won 1 road game season opener in the PC era

- We were without a lot of key players: Wright, Naz Jones, Baldwin, and Fluker

- Give Carson 20+ carries a game

- Shaquem had first game jitters. I expect him to get better and better each week

- Bradley McDougald is a stud. He is definitely a better coverage safety than Kam was.

- Punch Dickson’s ticket to the All Pro team already. Guy is such a weapon.

- Russell to Marshall connection is going to be special

- Take a page out of GB book last night against Chicago. Two step drop and get the ball out quick against that pass rush

- Why don’t we run RPOs anymore?????

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Not sure I understand the meltdown happening in the other threads. I guess it 's what comes of false expectations. They actually over performed based on all the new faces, injuries, and schemes. To only lose by three in a tough venue while giving up 6 sacks is pretty impressive. The sacks are troubling but... Von Miller.

We are rebuilding and have a long, long way to go before we are a serious contender again. I'm going to try to enjoy the journey like this is 2010 all over again.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":1pocthwu said:
- A lot of good teams lost ugly Week 1. We played a terrible game, yet still lost by 3 on the road to a team that is invincible in home openers. Seattle has also only won 1 road game season opener in the PC era

- We were without a lot of key players: Wright, Naz Jones, Baldwin, and Fluker

- Give Carson 20+ carries a game

- Shaquem had first game jitters. I expect him to get better and better each week

- Bradley McDougald is a stud. He is definitely a better coverage safety than Kam was.

- Punch Dickson’s ticket to the All Pro team already. Guy is such a weapon.

- Russell to Marshall connection is going to be special

- Take a page out of GB book last night against Chicago. Two step drop and get the ball out quick against that pass rush

Great question: why no RPOs????

minormillikin

Reaction score
endzorn":mzxsf9s2 said:
I hate not believing, but I didn’t believe we’d win. I was at the game and the Seahawks fans there seemed to feel the same as I did. We were outplayed and a win would feel like a gift.

It’s fun to see something new, but it’s sad to see the definitive end to the historic defense.

Side note...That was the second time I’ve been to a Broncos game and the first time since 1998. Those fans know how to make noise. Very fun environment and despite a terrible first experience, the fans were great today.

I was at the game and agree with all of this. Broncos fans were cool. In fact, walking back to my hotel, the only drunken idiot fans who were yelling at Seahawks fans were dressed in Raider gear.

quadsas

Reaction score
you didnt think we could beat Broncos? theyre gonna be trash this season, at the end of the year we are gonna look at this game and think 'shoulda had that one'

JGreen79

Reaction score
quadsas":1l7em9lu said:
you didnt think we could beat Broncos? theyre gonna be trash this season, at the end of the year we are gonna look at this game and think 'shoulda had that one'

Nearly nobody beats the Broncos at home in September. It doesn't matter how bad they are, it just doesn't happen very often.

canucklehead

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":1tw6ryvo said:
Steve2222":1tw6ryvo said:

Great question: why no RPOs????

A thousand times yes...why does it seem like Seahawks do not get this?

themunn

Reaction score
JGreen79":synza5xf said:
quadsas":synza5xf said:

Nearly nobody beats the Broncos at home in September. It doesn't matter how bad they are, it just doesn't happen very often.

Actually a very valid point which I didn't realise.. Since divisional realignment the Broncos have only lost 4 games at home (26-4 I think) in September. Even last year they won both their home games (and also won on October 1st), despite going 5-11.

Didn't realise how much of a difference that early season home advantage gave them. Feel a lot better about the loss all things considered.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It was a typical Pete Carroll road opener. Lots of ugly play. Tight game we lose near the end. TBH it kind of looked like a game where the team was trying to put nothing on tape. Very vanilla in all respects. Some of that comes with youth, some of that comes with playing a road game against a non-conference opponent.

Next week is a night game against a conference team and I hope we throw a few better wrinkles into the gameplan.

Positives:
Dissly (Zack Miller 2.0)
Marshall (finally a big bodied receiver with great hands)
Carson (why he didn't get the ball more I have no idea)
Left side of the OL
McDougald (better coverage safety than Chancellor)

Negatives:
Baldwin's injury (it will be tough this season if he misses a ton of time)
Shaquem Griffin (missed reads, blown tackles, overrunning plays, benched in second half)
Right side of the OL (Sweezy and Ifedi reminded me of the worst of the old Cable days - Fluker and Fant really should be manning that side)
Pass rush (I think there is an amber alert out there somewhere looking for it still)

The both negative and positive:
Wilson (Dropped a couple nice dimes for TD's but also struggled with timing throws and getting the ball out on rhythm- need more from him)
Penny (held up blocking and did well catching dump offs but was a bit tentative on his run plays)
Thomas (great intuitive interception but then got burned jumping the under route on a double crosser leading to a big play, overall was clearly rusty)

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Rpo are dead imo for most part. This isnt the russ of 2012-2014. He is slower and wont work as well. You may get some gains but not a lot. The game was more a positive for me then a negative

AubHawk71

Reaction score
The Hawks scored a touchdown in the first quarter. (Thanks ETIII !) How long did that take last year?

They are rough around the edges (inside too), but it was definitely more fun to watch than last year. And if Seabass didn't miss exactly the same way after a practice kick and from 5 yards closer...well, different story. Promising!

xray

Reaction score
I am new to this forum but a Hawks fan since 1976. Seems like a lot of newer fans have got the "GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL" or the Coach Carroll Syndrome. Same old BS excuses. Things will improve, 15 more games, Its not Wilson's fault,blah blah blah!! For all you Wilson lovers ,HEY he lost that game! In his good years he had an elite RB and a defense that for 4 years only allowed an average of around 15 points per game. Wilson's offense only needed less than 20 pts per game to win games. Fast forward--for over two years no running game no dominant defense--Wilson's LACK of true elite QB talent has been exposed . The new coaching wants him to stay in the pocket more but at 5'10 he can't see from there.He has to scramble into the back field to see. Then in turn his check downs are slow and his release is slower. Sacks for huge losses, bad passes. He is too inconsistent .He is not even coachable at this point. Wilson is Wilson. He is way over paid which in turn has led to having to let high quality talent go away so they can keep him. He is not worth it. But the team will keep him and over pay him and they won't even sniff a super bowl game for another 5 years. Just my opinion.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
xray":x3ao8qk0 said:
. . . Just my opinion.

Could have saved a lot of time, space, and angst by just posting this. :lol:

chawx

Reaction score
I'm happy you were able to remain cool and chill about the L yesterday. I was triggered from the Brandon Marshall OPI forward... Pete getting the challenge flag out before the play but they didn't blow it dead to review an obvious fumble that would have been our ball... the incomplete, oh no wait, let me hit rewind in my brain and rewatch it, completed TD that was somehow allowed to stand even though every TD in America clearly shows his left toe on the line as he's making the catch... I can handle a loss, when it's legit. But this one felt like XL* with big play after big play being mucked up by that weenie-faced ref (Brad Allen) who always seems to give us one helluva time.