Avril signs 4yr Extension!!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1g7y2clv said:
Snark?

This situation requires some serious close monitoring.
And I know just the Man for the job. [emoji41]

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Boiler":h6tm4hn3 said:
This is a rare opportunity to say my two most favorite football phrases at the same time: Go Hawks and Boiler Up!
As in Boiler Makers?

Cartire

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2frcisw9 said:
Cartire":2frcisw9 said:
Scottemojo":2frcisw9 said:
Cartire":2frcisw9 said:
Wait.

I was told the signing of KJ prevented Avril from being resigned from the .net GM's.
This post added nothing to real discussion.

Lets be honest. The REAL conversation is always about what .net thinks and why they're wrong. :stirthepot:
I was happy as hell to be wrong. Heard the terms, was even happier.

Lets be honest. We both have been guilty of snark at times, and when we are, the board suffers for it. I wanted to retort in a different way, but decided against it. Your post was vindictive and mean spirited, I have no idea if you were trying to elevate yourself or bring others down, but look at your post. Which part of it was intended to further discussion?

Snark kills discussion. It keeps lurkers from becoming posters, because their opinion will eventually meet snark. It leads to a cycle of name calling and locks and bans.

The KJ thread was awesome until it was invaded by snark. There was actual commendation given to opposing opinions, until snark. People stopped sharing their thoughts, and it turned into I win or you lose. Which sucks.

And the Avril thread didn't get through one page when you were the first to lob a snark bomb. I have no idea if in your head I am some self appointed NET GM, but I was certainly one who thought KJ would cost Avril. As I have said, I was so happy to be wrong.

If you think the real conversation is about being right or wrong, well I guess that is up to you. It isn't my preference.

Huh? Who are you talking to here? Me?

I think the issue is that everyone is far to serious. I even had an emoji. Thats the international sign for lighten up. If you have to write 4 paragraphs about this, then you youre being bothered a bit to easy about nothing. The problem isnt snarky people. The problem is that everyone thinks everything is snark. The other problem is that the work snark is all of a sudden being used so much. Is that the word of the day?

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
This is a great signing. He is a top-5 4-3 pass rusher in the NFL and now we have two of them locked up for a couple years.

Pass rush from the front-4 is one of the most important aspects of a successful modern NFL defense.

I expect us to continue to draft DT, OL, RCB and WLB.

Remember it is very very hard to find productive pass rushers through the draft. They take years to develop.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Cartire":3qnu4ude said:

I think the issue is that everyone is far to serious. I even had an emoji. Thats the international sign for lighten up. If you have to write 4 paragraphs about this, then you you're being bothered a bit to easy about nothing. The problem isnt snarky people. The problem is that everyone thinks everything is snark. The other problem is that the work snark is all of a sudden being used so much. Is that the word of the day?

It's the slight of hand comments that are unneeded, people should be allowed to say what they think, and be allowed to be wrong. No need to call each other out. Putting pride aside it's a sports forum board meant for discussion. With discussion you get varying opinions on different topics.

I can't really say I whole heartedly thought resigning KJ Wright was a bigger need than Byron Maxwell, but that would just be my opinion, and maybe the Seahawks will do that anyway.

Different views allow discussion to thrive and learning to take place.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":1gho4jiv said:

I think the issue is that everyone is far to serious. I even had an emoji. Thats the international sign for lighten up. If you have to write 4 paragraphs about this, then you youre being bothered a bit to easy about nothing. The problem isnt snarky people. The problem is that everyone thinks everything is snark. The other problem is that the work snark is all of a sudden being used so much. Is that the word of the day?

Point is you're better than that initial comment amigo. Leave it to the RunTheBall's of the forum. I mean, even though I didn't write it, I too thought KJ's signing pointed towards the releasing of Avril, as did a lot of people, you must have contemplated it? Was it really worthy of a collective call-out?

Granted, it perhaps wasn't worthy of the retaliation it got, but people don't like being called out, particularly if it's for something as trivial as this.

Cartire

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":e18g9zav said:
Cartire":e18g9zav said:

I think the issue is that everyone is far to serious. I even had an emoji. Thats the international sign for lighten up. If you have to write 4 paragraphs about this, then you you're being bothered a bit to easy about nothing. The problem isnt snarky people. The problem is that everyone thinks everything is snark. The other problem is that the work snark is all of a sudden being used so much. Is that the word of the day?

It's the slight of hand comments that are unneeded, people should be allowed to say what they think, and be allowed to be wrong. No need to call each other out. Putting pride aside it's a sports forum board meant for discussion. With discussion you get varying opinions on different topics.

I can't really say I whole heartedly thought resigning KJ Wright was a bigger need than Byron Maxwell, but that would just be my opinion, and maybe the Seahawks will do that anyway.

Different views allow discussion to thrive and learning to take place.

It sounds like this sports forum wants to be more like a C-Span discussion. When did bagging on each other and calling out each others arguments become so taboo? Its just a fan forum. ITs all in fun. So much seriousness. Shit talking is pretty much a staple of football sundays. I think to many peoples feelings get hurt.

Heres a tip to everyone. When you read something, assume the person is laughing with you when they say it.

pehawk

Reaction score
Cartire, you don't have to alter any behavior. But, expect a little noise if you're helping the parade of douchebags trying to squash constructive dialogue. Rightly or wrongly, that type of snarky keeps some good thoughts from being added here.
Some posters are too polite to attack like me, they'll just stop contributing altogether.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":37pod2ux said:
.........I differ with the other part of Hans' argument though, which is classic appeal to authority fallacy. That we should never question decisions made by people that are better than us. We know this is flawed not only because of CBJ and Harvin, but because of the pedestal that Tim Ruskell once stood upon.

It is much more reasonable to simply express one's opinion, and if it doesn't go lockstep with PC/JS than so be it.......
As someone on these boards that called for Ruskell's head long before most people, I could not agree with you more man. I suffered a LOT of backlash for that opinion as did a few other pretty good posters that were eventually driven away from these boards (e.g. Puntaphilie). I was even put on ignore for quite a while by at least one poster that's still quite active on these boards for having a different opinion about Timmy than he did! How freakin' silly!

HawkWow suffered the same fate last fall when he strongly suggested Harvin was a cancer and the trade was not a good move. He said that when it happened and then again when Pussy got his own doctor for a second opinion that led to surgery and pretty much an entire season down the drain. In the end, he was pretty much spot on about the guy (unless you think refusing to enter a game is not a cancer causing behavior).

Both of those are examples of not following "authority fallacy" as kearly called it. Both times, those who didn't, we're correct. Of course that won't always be the case, but it would be nice to have the 'room' on these board to feel that way and express that feeling/opinion without being endlessly hammered on as a traitor to all that is Seahawk (like Largent80 was for his opinion about KJ day before yesterday).

Bottom line folks, we're here to express opinions and there will be disagreements. Even our smartest posters will be wrong once in a while and the rest of us even more often. None of us are making our living as the GM of a pro football team unless John Schneider is posting as say, cboom or something like that. But for heaven's sake we all want the Hawks to win. Please save the snark, rudeness and anger for true trolls and Santa Clara, Lambs, Cards, Cowpatty, etc. fans. Express disagreement without personal attack is all I'm saying here.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sometimes the mods have tough duty. When someone gets out of line they don't always see it. Call it tattling, snitching or whatever, but if someone is crossing a line, they need to know about it.

I started a thread yesterday about the incentive the FO was giving the other players by re upping 2 core players. The first response was from a person that has been here since October, it was to point out (in his little world) that he felt I was hypocritical since I said Wright played like crap vs the pass most of this year.

He got the thread locked. He is the kind of poster that drives long time contributors away from doing their awesome write ups. I don't care who you are, if you are here, supposedly you are a Hawks fan....Then be one, not some passive-aggressive douche that undermines every thread they come into.

pehawk

Reaction score
Back when I wrote for this place, I remember being asked to write an article questioning Ruskell, because others didn't want to deal with the backlash. I just remembered that, so, maybe things haven't changed too much?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Thanks, Scotte, for bringing up the snark issue. I'm guilty of adding unnecessary snark a lot of the time, and the discussion in this thread has helped illustrate how self-serving and pointless it is. It's always good when you can get a clear picture of what you need to work on, so thanks. Sincerely.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Another great thing about this thread is combining 2 names for our favorite ex-Seahawk, Pussy No-Heart-vin.

olyfan63

Reaction score
HansGruber":2a2nb3h2 said:
This forum is slowly turning into webzone, and it's exactly that type of idiotic behavior that's making it happen.

Please, God, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Not Webzone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drdiags

Reaction score
Great job by the FO.

I liked the KJ signing, though I was surprised they did. I thought it signaled Avril as gone, since I looked at him as a rent-a-star. No way he signs for less than $10M/yr after originally turning down the Lions for that 3/$30M. I guess how he got burned in FA 2 yrs ago motivated him to look at the bigger picture. Great signing for the team and it appears for him as well.

And yes, when it comes time next year and Mebane isn't cut I am sure I will get a couple of pokes for thinking it would happen. No biggie.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I see that everyone is happy here. I'm a little surprised. I haven't seen a whole lot from Avril this year that impresses me overmuch. I'm not saying he's played badly. He does a good job of getting around the edge on his pass rush, but I've seen no ability to plant and stop his momentum when the QB steps up in the pocket. The tackles seem to just push him on past the QB and that's where he goes. He doesn't have a whole lot of sacks this year, despite playing more than last year.

On the positive side, I have seen him play good run defense, so I give him credit for that. It's not that I'm saying he sucks, or that I don't want him on the defense, I'm just not as excited as everyone else seems to be. When we sign Bobby Wagner, then I'll be excited. Nobody means as much to this defense as Wagner does.

Tical21

Reaction score
I guess I like this deal. There can't be too much bad about keeping this defense together. I did have dreams of signing a big receiver or lineman though. Ah well. Kevin Norwood for president.

Tical21

Reaction score
Have we realized that Russell isn't worth the money, we're deciding right now to move-on after next season, and that has given us the luxury to sign all the rest of the players we need to surround our next QB with?