Baldwin calls out Bennett for complaining about money

Vesuve

Reaction score
Chiming in late,

I read Baldwin's quotes in the OP article link.

I hear Bennett, but I also hear the organization's standpoint of no regos until 1 year is left.

As for Baldwin. Great player - but he talks too damn much.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":qiyh2x05 said:
Hawkpower":qiyh2x05 said:
Fans have every right to call out players when they act poorly. Players have every right to not care.

Bennett clearly is choosing the latter and thats fine, but it doesn't take it away.

Most regular guys who work their cracks off for mere crumbs in comparison can't relate with his whining about food on the table. Good for you for not being bothered by it.

Fair enough, with the caveat that I am free to call out fans who have terrible attitudes toward the players as well.

If regular guys can't relate, they should put in the time to perfect a highly-marketable craft instead of whining about the salary demands of those who did put in that time.

Your misrepresenting the person doing the whining.

Bennett is crying about not being able to feed his family.

I am rolling my eyes, as I would at any 1%er in any profession who has clearly lost perspective like Bennett has.

Good for anyone who has the fortune to make huge money in a randomly decided valuable profession. Just dont say stupid things about feeding your family when you drive 10 cars.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Hawkpower":2vqcj5ty said:
Smelly McUgly":2vqcj5ty said:
Hawkpower":2vqcj5ty said:
Fans have every right to call out players when they act poorly. Players have every right to not care.

Bennett clearly is choosing the latter and thats fine, but it doesn't take it away.

Most regular guys who work their cracks off for mere crumbs in comparison can't relate with his whining about food on the table. Good for you for not being bothered by it.

Fair enough, with the caveat that I am free to call out fans who have terrible attitudes toward the players as well.

If regular guys can't relate, they should put in the time to perfect a highly-marketable craft instead of whining about the salary demands of those who did put in that time.

I am rolling my eyes, as I would at any 1%er in any profession who has clearly lost perspective like Bennett has.

Good for anyone who has the fortune to make huge money in a randomly decided valuable profession. Just dont say stupid things about feeding your family when you drive 10 cars.

No, I am not.

Most of the whining comes from fans with their variations on "regular guys wish they made as much, just shut up and play out the contract" stuff. Sour grapes is all that is. If fans don't like Bennett trying to put pressure on the FO, that is fine, but crying about him making more than teachers is another thing.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1msp2kl2 said:
chris98251":1msp2kl2 said:
I would argue that more then 36,000 teachers are under paid and valued, we entrust them with our kids, their education, much of their social development while also playing watch dog for abuse and neglect. Bennett gets to play a game that entertains people and makes millions doing so, being a smarter negotiator may have helped. Is he underpaid for his contributions based on the league, yes, but not so much to eat up everyone's times trying to get a sympathy card for it.

This is irrelevant, a red herring. I am an educator who thinks teachers should get paid more. That does not have anything to do with whether Bennett should get paid more. These things can be true at the same time independently of one another.

As an educator, I chose a craft that I knew would never make me rich. If I want to be rich, I have two options: Hone a more marketable skill or play Powerball. Complaining about the salary demands of other people who worked hard to hone a more marketable skill would be sour grapes on my part.

And I think you misread Bennett and what he wants. He wants to use whatever avenues he has to get a new and richer contract. I doubt he cares about or wants your or my sympathy.

I think most hawk fans can understand Bennetts desire. Nobody is faulting him for that. You are arguing a point that doesnt exist.

Most here are saying his incessant public whining and dumb comments about food on the table ring hollow, Hence the irritation anytime athletes (see Sprewell, Latrell) say things like this.

irocdave

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":27pwuh54 said:
Aros":27pwuh54 said:
I love Baldwin but I'm not sure calling him out nationally is the best way to cultivate that "brotherhood" this team takes so seriously and seems to be at the very heart of championship-level success. I could be wrong and maybe it's fine and they are tight but this seems to smack of the kinds of drama this team could do without.

+1
+2.

DB's comments makes us normal folk feel better, but Doug just got paid so this seems hypocritical to me. DB is coming at this from a different angle as he will get another big contract while in or near his prime. MB isn't. All personal opinions aside from us common working class folk, DB is creating a divide in the "team" or locker room.

Maybe it's a good thing, but I don't see it that way? Maybe DB is taking shots because MB has made it a goal to beat up the offense line in practice? What ever the reason, I don't see this as something beneficial to the team. To be honest, this team hasn't been relevant because of the offense, the defense sets the tone and is a much more dominate unit. Put the Saints D on the field for the hawks last year and they wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs, or the year before, or the year before. That's the truth.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
irocdave":1srhhhin said:
Year of The Hawk":1srhhhin said:
Aros":1srhhhin said:
I love Baldwin but I'm not sure calling him out nationally is the best way to cultivate that "brotherhood" this team takes so seriously and seems to be at the very heart of championship-level success. I could be wrong and maybe it's fine and they are tight but this seems to smack of the kinds of drama this team could do without.

+1
+2.

DB's comments makes us normal folk feel better, but Doug just got paid so this seems hypocritical to me. DB is coming at this from a different angle as he will get another big contract while in or near his prime. MB isn't. All personal opinions aside from us common working class folk, DB is creating a divide in the "team" or locker room.

Maybe it's a good thing, but I don't see it that way? Maybe DB is taking shots because MB has made it a goal to beat up the offense line in practice? What ever the reason, I don't see this as something beneficial to the team. To be honest, this team hasn't been relevant because of the offense, the defense sets the tone and is a much more dominate unit. Put the Saints D on the field for the hawks last year and they wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs, or the year before, or the year before. That's the truth.

I still have to think there must be more to the story. Seems odd that he would straight up call out a teammate in the media, unless there are quite a few hawks tired of his antics and he felt like something needed to be said. Even then, probably not the best move.

chris98251

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2ax5g2br said:
chris98251":2ax5g2br said:
I would argue that more then 36,000 teachers are under paid and valued, we entrust them with our kids, their education, much of their social development while also playing watch dog for abuse and neglect. Bennett gets to play a game that entertains people and makes millions doing so, being a smarter negotiator may have helped. Is he underpaid for his contributions based on the league, yes, but not so much to eat up everyone's times trying to get a sympathy card for it.

This is irrelevant, a red herring. I am an educator who thinks teachers should get paid more. That does not have anything to do with whether Bennett should get paid more. These things can be true at the same time independently of one another.

As an educator, I chose a craft that I knew would never make me rich. If I want to be rich, I have two options: Hone a more marketable skill or play Powerball. Complaining about the salary demands of other people who worked hard to hone a more marketable skill would be sour grapes on my part.

And I think you misread Bennett and what he wants. He wants to use whatever avenues he has to get a new and richer contract. I doubt he cares about or wants your or my sympathy.

If he didn't then why is he using the media to create support?

chris98251

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":cqzoa2id said:
Hawkpower":cqzoa2id said:
Smelly McUgly":cqzoa2id said:
Hawkpower":cqzoa2id said:

No, I am not.

Most of the whining comes from fans with their variations on "regular guys wish they made as much, just shut up and play out the contract" stuff. Sour grapes is all that is. If fans don't like Bennett trying to put pressure on the FO, that is fine, but crying about him making more than teachers is another thing.

I don't consider Teachers regular guys, I consider them the foundation of our Nation that sets the foundation for our future with education and helping socially direct our youth. But some people want to minimize shit, Bennett is using people to promote his agenda.

kobebryant

Reaction score
kf3339":3l96jdul said:
The players have every right to complain about their contracts. It's a business.

But the owners also have every right to run their business in a manner that allows them to make a profit. That is the way businesses work. If they can't make a profit they would close down their business and none of the employees (including players) would be paid at all.

So the argument of not making enough money from some players to me is just mute. They know the business well enough, or they wouldn't have invested time and sacrifice to put themselves in a position to be in this industry. That is how capitalism works.

I get what you're trying to say, but "capitalism" isn't the right word to use to describe how the NFL functions.

- A cap on what people can earn is not capitalism.

- The whole process of entry drafts is the opposite of capitalism. Where else but North American team sports are the best college grads not given a choice of their employer/place of employment? The best prospects go to the worst employers - it's asinine. Sorry 99th percentile Stanford grad, you can't go work for Google, you're working for Alta Vista.

Ben Simmons to the clown show 6ers really got me thinking about how drafts and salary caps really go against everything we hold dear as Americans.

mrt144

Reaction score
kobebryant":23kf04af said:
kf3339":23kf04af said:
The players have every right to complain about their contracts. It's a business.

But the owners also have every right to run their business in a manner that allows them to make a profit. That is the way businesses work. If they can't make a profit they would close down their business and none of the employees (including players) would be paid at all.

So the argument of not making enough money from some players to me is just mute. They know the business well enough, or they wouldn't have invested time and sacrifice to put themselves in a position to be in this industry. That is how capitalism works.

I get what you're trying to say, but "capitalism" isn't the right word to use to describe how the NFL functions.

- A cap on what people can earn is not capitalism.

- The whole process of entry drafts is the opposite of capitalism. Where else but North American team sports are the best college grads not given a choice of their employer/place of employment? The best prospects go to the worst employers - it's asinine. Sorry 99th percentile Stanford grad, you can't go work for Google, you're working for Alta Vista.

Ben Simmons to the clown show 6ers really got me thinking about how drafts and salary caps really go against everything we hold dear as Americans.

You mean the merchants who rebelled against the Brits didn't have a rent seeking sports league in mind when they said "hey, we wanna spend our taxes on our pork"

Seanhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":17d19qn4 said:
All anyone has to say to counter Bennett's stance is the following:

-- You tested free agency, nobody offered you big money, you signed a one-year deal with the Seahawks

-- You tested free agency the following year, nobody offered you big money, so you signed a long term deal with the Seahawks

Not many players test free agency TWICE in their prime. The simple fact is nobody wished to pay Bennett the kind of money he covets. And that is tough titties.

I'd like to add, didn't Chicago actually offer more money to Bennett before he signed his long term deal with Seattle? And he still chose to stay? I also remember him getting pouty when the Hawks traded for Graham instead of trading for his brother, when he passed up more money to play with him in Chicago. Maybe I'm misremembering things, but if not, and you look at all the events, Bennett sure comes off like a moron. But I'm probably the moron.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
OK I will play devils advocate. When was the last time MB spoke out publicly about his contract? Did he ever hold out? Does he show up and produce? Yes he grumbles but that is all it really is. Who knows it may have worked and he might have made a extra few mill in the process. I cant blame him. Many of us (including myself) believe that his fighting may have to do with his contract. In reality unless he tells us we have no idea. There are more young guys this year so maybe it is a product of that. Also he is not letting it carry over. He seems to make amends before the end of practice. I personally think MB is hilarious. Even if I don't agree with him whatever he says or does not affect my life in the smallest way. Its just entertainment.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Bennett is a whiner and Baldwin is a loudmouth. This is known already, so is this article supposed to be news to us?

BuZzB28

Reaction score
We must support to Baldwin. Why Bennet is all complain about more money's what he want. We should let Bennet keep to crying what he wanted more moneys. No worry. Wilson is power to leader for victory games than Bennet. Wilson is best the leader for us. Wilson is superman as beautiful the picture this.
E67bff21f154e6d373eefb2616363b2a

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":12rc8f4j said:
OK I will play devils advocate. When was the last time MB spoke out publicly about his contract? Did he ever hold out? Does he show up and produce? Yes he grumbles but that is all it really is. Who knows it may have worked and he might have made a extra few mill in the process. I cant blame him. Many of us (including myself) believe that his fighting may have to do with his contract. In reality unless he tells us we have no idea. There are more young guys this year so maybe it is a product of that. Also he is not letting it carry over. He seems to make amends before the end of practice. I personally think MB is hilarious. Even if I don't agree with him whatever he says or does not affect my life in the smallest way. Its just entertainment.

Bennett doesn't directly talk about his contract, he's just passive aggressive when asked..............to not APPEAR like he's talking about it, but he really is.

Say's stuff like "I know I'm underpaid, but my wife won't let me holdout."

Which is fine, dude's baller and never lets this stuff affect his game or his commitment to the team. So I'm fine with all this stuff. Talk and fight all you want, just keep producing.

Boycie

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":15z1e11a said:
Hawkpower":15z1e11a said:
No, Bennett has lost perspective.

When he is in the financial position he is in, to be this upset, ALL THE TIME, is a definite loss of perspective.

I don't behoove him for wanting to make top dollar. We all want that.

But he has to realize how ridiculous he sounds to 99.9% of the population when he can't shut up about his poor undervalued contract.

Lets start to make a list of people/professions in this world who deserve more money for what they do. I would be willing to bet Mike doesnt crack the top 36,000...

He shouldn't care how he sounds. He should care about the market value for his skills, that's all.

I think my perspective is that the worst thing about the league, other than the owners/commish, are the fans. They demand their pound of flesh and turn on the players the second the players don't act exactly as they want them to. They think that football players shouldn't be disgruntled about their contracts and should just shut up and play for a fraction of what the owners pull in for doing no actual useful labor at all.

As for people who also deserve more money, sure, make that list. Those 36,000 people deserving more money for their labor do not somehow invalidate Bennett also deserving more money for his labor.

True, but he also put pen to paper on his deal, and was happy to sign it at the time. He needs to honour that contract that he willingly signed, and was happy to receive at the time. If not, then he shouldn't have signed it and held out for more.

zifnab32

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":3kulpip8 said:
Bennett is a whiner and Baldwin is a loudmouth. This is known already, so is this article supposed to be news to us?

He's also a top 5 talent being payed the... 27th? highest at his position. It's one of the best deals in the league for the Seahawks. If all they have to put up with is occasional whining - not even a hold out - then it's an incredible deal for them.