Be Honest - what grade would you give the 2013 draft class?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Luke Willson was a home run pick IMO. I'd bet that most would consider him a better prospect than Vance McDonald at this point, and the Niners TRADED UP to pick him in the 2nd. Luke just needs to work on some catching issues and become more trusted in this offense, and he'll be a stud.

If Michael and Hill pan out, I think this will be remembered as a tremendous draft, especially considering the draft positioning. Willson, Bowie and Bailey are already primed to give you great value over the next several years. Anything out of Simon/Williams would be icing. If Michael/Hill bust, then it's probably a pretty "meh" draft no matter what.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Funny how these draft "busts" get snapped off the practice squad or signed by someone else the second they get cut. Yeah, terrible draft.

Seattle is in the very enviable position of being able to red shirt most of the draft. It's a good thing.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd say a D, and that is based on the production and depth we got for this draft this year only. People grade old draft every year and it takes 3 years to get a true evaluation but as of what was on display this year this was not a productive draft.

1. Harvin was injured 95% of the season, if he stays healthy next year this will impove the whole draft

2. Michael not getting anytime on the field has to mean something, I can see his use in the future but didn't do anything this year and adds to the bad grade. I see good things for him and when he busts out I'll reevaluate.

3. Hill was injured most the season and had no impact on this season

4. Harper, was supposed to be the replacement for Tate but did make the roster, wasted pick, Instead we could have traded it for a 3rd this year.

5. J Williams biggest draft day slide, most hyped preseason, biggest disappointment of them all.

5. Simon didn't even get to see him in training camp

5. Willson made an impact and showed he's a solid addition to this team, most productive player from this draft had 20 catches 272yds and 1 TD. Considering a 3rd rd TE in Jordan Reed caught 45 balls for 499yds and 3td, also 6th round Mychael River caught 38 for 407yd and 4Td's, I don't think I'd consider Willson a steal just a solid 5th round pick.

6.Ware no impact this year and got a DUI

7. Seymour got cut

7. Powell didn't make it to the PS

7. Smith didn't play a snap

7. Bowie by far our best valued pick, filled in great when injuries hit and has room to get better.

I fully expect to be on here next season rating this draft an B+ or A- and all the potential is tapped and the injury bug goes away but from what was actually produced I had to give a bad grade. All the potential in the world and what if could go our way but this draft class did not POP, well at least not yet.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I give it a B.

Harvin helped seal the deal. I gladly take what he gave us in the Super Bowl over a whole year of Patterson or anyone else we could've got.

Bailey and Bowie were pretty good for rookies.

I personally love Luke Willson.

I think Michael will pan out eventually.

The rest are incomplete. I have high hopes for Tharold Simon and think a couple others may end up serviceable.

I can't wait for the next draft.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seattle did the best they could with a weak draft class. Christine Michael has an opportunity to be one of the most dynamic running backs in the NFL, if he stays healthy. Obviously, there were injury concerns, but it was worth the gamble at 62. That could turn out to be one of the better values in that draft.

At 87, I wasn't really excited about taking Jordan Hill, but I understand why it was done. They knew looking ahead that they needed another three-technique DT to pair with Mebane inside. I don't know if it's going to work out in a big way, but at the very least Hill should provided necessary depth in 2014. Some even think he may start.

Jesse Williams has the knee issue, so you never know if he will bounce back. But if they cut Red Bryant and Williams gets healthy, he could provide critical depth as a run-stopping five technique. If Williams gets healthy, then we got value at 137.

Luke Willson was a knockout pick at 158. He's going to be a big weapon for us in the coming years.

Michael Bowie in the 7th round was a real steal. He was a part-time starter at guard and tackle, and he played extremely well as a rookie. Look for him to battle for a starting spot at guard or tackle in 2014. That's incredible value at 242.

Overall, I would give the class an A- in what was a real down year for draft prospects.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":9iuo2sv3 said:
I'm still at a B. It's above average, but the returns weren't 2012 A+ worthy.

I don't see how anything but INC is reasonable. Several of the guys were injured and unable to contribute and others were trapped behind deep position groups. Can't fault Simon for being out the entire year or Michael for being unable to surpass the Lynch/Turbin combo.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Just read that Jesse Williams knee is healed. If true he is a guy that can fill in at Reds' spot or Mcdaniels. If he is healthy that 5th round pick is looking very nice.

McGruff

Reaction score
Incomplete . . .

If Michael takes over Turbin's role but provides more explosive plays, and Hill takes Bennett's place and Williams takes Red's place and Simon takes Thurmond's place and Willson takes Miller's place then its a fantastic draft.

If three of those things happn its a good draft.

And its not far fetched to see all of them happening.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":co3qlzqe said:
Incomplete . . .

If Michael takes over Turbin's role but provides more explosive plays, and Hill takes Bennett's place and Williams takes Red's place and Simon takes Thurmond's place and Willson takes Miller's place then its a fantastic draft.

If three of those things happen its a good draft.

And its not far fetched to see all of them happening.

I agree all could happen, but that haven't yet and with all the what if's I could only give a bad draft grade.

Not being a homer I hove to take the until it's proven on the field "potential" and "could/should" should not be counted in the grade.

I you evaluate SF's draft the last few years are you going to point to their lack of contribution or say well they could be great or should get better. Take it as face value and when the players step up reevaluate the draft then with a better grade.

I can see giving this draft an A but I will wait until then.

chris98251

Reaction score
2014 and 2015 will determine if we planned things based on players leaving and the ability of this class. Projection of salaried players staying and being cut as well as the talent of the roster for depth is now going to be how Pete and Schnieder make their money on evaluation and cap management. Petes coaching staff is alos going to live and die but how they develop the players brought in.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm absolutely okay with the 2013 draft.

Trading for Percy was a home run. Can't wait for next season's highlights to happen.

Michael was a luxury pick. His time will come after this year. If he shines in preseason, perhaps we'll see the Hawks trade either him or Turbin a week or two into the season.

Luke put in a very solid rookie year. His run blocking was impressive... approaching Zack Miller's ability. If Zach leaves because he either gets cut or won't re-structure we'll be alright at TE for a year if McCoy comes back at 100%.

And I'm hopeful that Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams will produce this year.

Love that we picked up the pair of 22-year old tackles/guards in Bowie and Bailey.

Right now, I'd give it a B based on Percy, Luke, Bowie and Bailey... with an INC for Michael, Hill, Williams and Simon.

Erebus

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":dhag963o said:
HawkWow":dhag963o said:
The last word I'd be using to describe Michael would be "steal". Can't pass block, can't play special teams, fumbles, questionable attitude and appears to be an idiot. No easier position than RB to transition from college to the pros. The fact he couldn't get on the field erases any notion of "steal".

IF the FO knew all of the above about him, I am disappointed with their judgment. IF they didn't know the above stuff, I am disappointed with their scouting. IF their plan was to let him sit the entire year, I am disappointed we didn't wait til the 3rd and draft Lattimore. 10 months from now, we will learn Lattimore, with his excellent character and ball skills, will be a steal.

Further, I can't grasp where people are getting the idea Michael killed it in the pre-season. He didn't. In fact, with the exception of clearly having a burst, he danced behind the line too much and if his YPC was any better than Turbin's, it was insignificantly so. Yet people want Turbin and his sure hands gone...and call no-show Michael a steal? That pick gets a D from me...though he could explode next year...that we don't know and can only go by what we see now.

Our 5th rd pick, IMO...is the only steal of this draft and perhaps Bowie. I expect great things from Luke Willson. Too early to tell with Hill, Simon and Ware. Our 4th rd pick was cut almost immediately. I admire that, but won't confuse it with good drafting. The rest? I don't even know if they are in this country. Even when considering we are a difficult roster to crack, not a good draft by any means, IMO. I think a D would be given by anyone outside this forum.

Its a shame that they delete posts here after awhile. I think about once a week you make a troll post like this. Just completely lacking in anything factul, almost like you are on a remote island completely unaware of what is actually going on with the team and players.

Come on now, just because you don't agree with his point of view doesn't mean he's trolling or doesn't know what he's talking about. There are a few of us on here who agree with him. At this point in time, it doesn't look like a good draft based on early results, but that could certainly change. Right now the draft deserves a C or D.

There was no reason Michael couldn't beat out Turbin for more playing time. I don't think Turbin played all that great in 2013, so for Michael to not get any playing time is an indictment on him, not a testament to how well Turbin played.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":24k43fjw said:
Too early to tell. Michael was a steal in the second round. A truly explosive running back with break away speed, agility, and toughness to get those extra yards. Jesse Williams is a huge steal should his knee heal(possible Red replacement if healthy). Tharold Simon has great potential but has been hurt as well. We saw what Luke is capable of. Michael Bowie looks like a great pick.
There is tons of value in that draft depending on some of them healing up (big question with Jesse) but I have no problem with last years draft except Chris Harper who I never liked to begin with.

A running back who rushed 18 times is a steal in the second round?

No. Zac Stacy in the 5th was a steal. Andre Ellington in the 6th was a steal. Eddie Lacy 1 pick before Christine wasn't even a steal.

It's a bad pick. I'm able to accept it. Maybe it will get better in a few years. It's like the argument that Bruce Irvin was a good pick still.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I give it a C, but to be fair the open positions and opportunities weren't that great.

Although, Pete is always about competing and it was disappointing these players weren't at the level that PC saw them prior to the draft.

two dog

Reaction score
Ryan Seymour didn't get cut and picked up. Actually he was signed off the Seahawks
practice squad two days after our game in S.F.

Since he went to San Francisco though, he's gotten a lot fatter and uglier. Figures.

Atradees

Reaction score
We won the superbowl. Yay.

Can you name a Seahawks draft with less first year contribution? All the players were risks in some way or a another.

So maybe we swung for the fences and completely whiffed.

My first year grade is an D-. My adopt a rookie was Christine Michael and team chose not to allow him to develope. Turbin wasnt all that...

When your UDFA and seventh round OL play some-in my opinion it has to with how poor the Oline is at pass protection. It was a bad draft. No-

one challenged for a starting role. That is what we are looking for, NO? The upside is that this draft cannot be worse than that.