Be Honest - what grade would you give the 2013 draft class?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Erebus":1rko0uws said:
ImTheScientist":1rko0uws said:
HawkWow":1rko0uws said:
The last word I'd be using to describe Michael would be "steal". Can't pass block, can't play special teams, fumbles, questionable attitude and appears to be an idiot. No easier position than RB to transition from college to the pros. The fact he couldn't get on the field erases any notion of "steal".

IF the FO knew all of the above about him, I am disappointed with their judgment. IF they didn't know the above stuff, I am disappointed with their scouting. IF their plan was to let him sit the entire year, I am disappointed we didn't wait til the 3rd and draft Lattimore. 10 months from now, we will learn Lattimore, with his excellent character and ball skills, will be a steal.

Further, I can't grasp where people are getting the idea Michael killed it in the pre-season. He didn't. In fact, with the exception of clearly having a burst, he danced behind the line too much and if his YPC was any better than Turbin's, it was insignificantly so. Yet people want Turbin and his sure hands gone...and call no-show Michael a steal? That pick gets a D from me...though he could explode next year...that we don't know and can only go by what we see now.

Our 5th rd pick, IMO...is the only steal of this draft and perhaps Bowie. I expect great things from Luke Willson. Too early to tell with Hill, Simon and Ware. Our 4th rd pick was cut almost immediately. I admire that, but won't confuse it with good drafting. The rest? I don't even know if they are in this country. Even when considering we are a difficult roster to crack, not a good draft by any means, IMO. I think a D would be given by anyone outside this forum.

Its a shame that they delete posts here after awhile. I think about once a week you make a troll post like this. Just completely lacking in anything factul, almost like you are on a remote island completely unaware of what is actually going on with the team and players.

Come on now, just because you don't agree with his point of view doesn't mean he's trolling or doesn't know what he's talking about. There are a few of us on here who agree with him. At this point in time, it doesn't look like a good draft based on early results, but that could certainly change. Right now the draft deserves a C or D.

There was no reason Michael couldn't beat out Turbin for more playing time. I don't think Turbin played all that great in 2013, so for Michael to not get any playing time is an indictment on him, not a testament to how well Turbin played.

LOL..thanks for the support. If not for you quoting her, I wouldn't have known what the little F-tard (post) said because I've had her on ignore since she joined. But she did guess right. I am on an island....and my guess is she's likely sleeping on her mom's couch.

I don't know how people can say "Turbin sucks" then turn around and talk about CM like he's the next AP. This excuse of us being "loaded", so it was difficult to draft, is just that, IMO..an excuse. The O- line has been iffy for several years. That was a place of need.

Everyone is screaming we need a taller WR. That would have also been true this time last year. A taller WR may also have been addressed last year. With Allen a pac-12 guy, I don't know how we let him slip past us and into the 3rd. Now that was a steal.

Unless the plan was to off load Lynch after this past year...and maybe it was, I don't see the sense in the Michael pick. Many call him a steal and rave about him. I have looked at probably as much tape on the kid as anyone, and he doesn't look all that awe-inspiring. Not if we are using the word steal. Add his questionable character, propensity to fumble, can't pass block, can't return kicks and his inability to get on the field even though in good health...and well, I guess that sums it up. Oh, I don't care for his rapping, either.

Obviously I hope to be proven wrong and Michael kills it next year, but I won't be holding my breath. I'd take a 3rd for him today.

mikeak

Reaction score
We were the best TEAM in the NFL - finding players to crack the starting lineup was not the goal and what we got was a bonus. What we needed are guys we could keep around that can fill roles in 1-2 years when we are paying our stars what they are worth.

Just look at CB position. Browner was suspended and we still had stellar play at that position. PC knew that Simon would never crack that lineup. Go look at the tape and you see that the guy can play and has a huge knack for locating the ball and making a game changing play

So as our CBs hits the open market plug in the next guy just like Maxwell cracked the lineup.

Just one example. Sure I will give you guys that cutting a fourth rounder right away isn't good BUT it is part of what happens and we got an undrafted guy playing instead....

HawkWow

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2pot05lm said:
We had Rice last year.

You got me there, Nate. ; )

But even still, Rice wasn't exactly an iron man and watching too much Cal, I think many, like myself, saw Keenan as a younger, cheaper Rice. I wanted him but thought he'd be gone before we picked in the 2nd. When he was still on the board, knowing PC likely knew a lot about him, I thought for sure we'd make him a Hawk. Who knows...maybe we give Rice another shot if he restructures and the docs call him a go. But he would have to reduce his current deal by about 66%, IMO.

HawkWow

Reaction score
mikeak":3a4xwmfb said:
We were the best TEAM in the NFL - finding players to crack the starting lineup was not the goal and what we got was a bonus. What we needed are guys we could keep around that can fill roles in 1-2 years when we are paying our stars what they are worth.

Just look at CB position. Browner was suspended and we still had stellar play at that position. PC knew that Simon would never crack that lineup. Go look at the tape and you see that the guy can play and has a huge knack for locating the ball and making a game changing play

So as our CBs hits the open market plug in the next guy just like Maxwell cracked the lineup.

Just one example. Sure I will give you guys that cutting a fourth rounder right away isn't good BUT it is part of what happens and we got an undrafted guy playing instead....

All good points, Mike. But nothing that suggests this draft was a good one. Hopefully that will ultimately be the case.

My main complaint isn't in cutting our 4th, I actually admired that move. Nothing worse than the GM that refuses he's wrong and hangs onto a dead player hoping he will come around one day to spare that GM humiliation. . Screw that. I love this Hawk FO and while I am not grading this draft very high, you can't win if you don't play. When these guys are pulling Sherms in the 5th...common sense tells you you have to take the bad with the good and thus far, this FO has been very good...with their later rd picks in particular. ; )

I think we should trade all of our picks and accumulate as many 5ths as possible from those trades.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Looking back I think 2013 has been the worst class ever draft by Pete and John. I'd probably rate this class an F after 3 years.

At this point I am not sure I consider C-Mike a part of this class as he was traded away and brought back via free agency. Only Luke Willson is relevant and he is only an average second string NFL TE.

2_0_6

Reaction score
In all fairness they also drafted Spencer Ware, if would have been interesting if they would have kept him.

Still overall at this point I would say D.

nanomoz

Reaction score
By this team's standards, D or F. By Baalke standards, B-. I mean, a couple of those guys are still in the league, right?

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement until Ninester shows up to tell me how to feel about it.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't grade draft classes until every player drafted in that class has retired from the NFL.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Results still mixed. However heading into the draft, we had a handful of needs: DT, WR, RB, Depth needs: LB/CB/OL/TE

Trading for Harvin was supposed to solve biggest need: Fail

Looking at positional need and alternatives per pick:

62: Michael

Had the following DT/WR options

Bennie Logan, Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams and Markus Wheaton. Clearly Allen stands out but wasn't really a Seahawks type prospect. Also we had just traded for Harvin. Really as far as need went, Michael stands out as the best pick of those alternatives.

87: Hill

Alternatives at need:

Steadman Bailey, Brandon Williams, Josh Boyce and Ace Sanders.

I liked Logan quite a bit that year. I also like Brandon Williams. But both of those guys are not 3T types. Not even as sub package players.

123: Harper

Johnathan Franklin, Quinton Patton, Marcus Lattimore, Denard Robinson

Pretty much a meh stew there.

137: Williams

Alternatives: Montori Hughes, Stepfan Taylor, Kenny Stills, Joseph Randle, Chris Thompson.

Stills would have been nice. If anything, his pick would have alleviated us doubling down on fast receivers the following year with Richardson.

In all, looking at need at the time -- going through picks 62 through 158 -- I don't see any better outcomes through the entire range with the exception of Stills. The draft was definitely not aligned with our need.

For the draft to have produced, we would have pretty much needed to ignore need entirely and pick for depth early. That's contrary to how PCJS operate but I do think that it's smart.

If we'd done that, here are the alternatives (LB/CB/OL/TE):

62 Michael

Travis Kelce, Dwayne Gratz, Larry Warford, Sio Moore, Tyrann Mathieu, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Terron Armstead, Dallas Thomas, Logan Ryan

Of those, Kelce, Moore, Wilson and Armstead are really the only ones that fit what has become known as our prototype. Still a really great list of candidates.

87: Hill

Alternatives: Brennan Williams, Zaviar Gooden, Nico Johnson, Akeem Spence, Jelani Jenkins, Dion Sims, Brian Schenke, David Bakhtiari, Khaseem Greene, Gerald Hodges, Khaled Holmes

I recall Gooden, Jenkins, Bakhtiari and Greene being linked to us regularly. Although I think not taking Greene kind of indicates they weren't as high as suspected. He did drop significantly from where he was expected to go.

Not a lot of real miss in this group. Better? Maybe. But kind of a wash.

123: Harper

Alternatives: Levine Toilolo, Sanders Commings, Earl Wolff

Not much here. Toilolo is the best of the bunch but hasn't even produced like Willson has taken 20 some picks later.

Overall, there weren't a lot of guys that physically we liked that have turned out ok. The obvious misses I can see:

Sio Moore
Travis Kelce
Terron Armstead

Jelani Jenkins
David Bakhtiari

And that's about it. This draft was at it's best, with players that don't fit what we want. CBs with no length. OL with no athleticism. Pass rushers of little explosiveness. This draft was really just a hodge podge of rubbish with the best options kind of ill fitting for what we needed at the time.

Obviously the single biggest fail was not taking DeAndre Hopkins at 25. But when we made the deal for Harvin there was no expectation that Hopkins would be there. We could have just as easily landed with Cordarrelle Patterson at 25. Still the alternatives at 25 would have seen:

Travis Frederick, DeAndre Hopkins, Zach Ertz, Johnathan Banks, Kawaan Short, Le'Veon Bell, Jamie Collins, Jamar Taylor.

These were all guys at alternative need positions who I recall us having some demonstrated interest. Particularly Collins, Banks and Short.

The Harvin trade really undid us. Because I'm guessing that if we have that #25 overall, we drop down a few spots and take Short who of the three biggest interest players was the only one at a position of need. I have to wonder if we didn't learn from this draft because we have traded back into the 30s and 40s just about every draft since then.