Being Called a Bandwagon Fan

TAB420

Reaction score
I don't give a big fat pickle fart what anyone thinks. I know how long I've waited and what it means to me. Bandwagon fans don't get to experience that. I still stop whatever I'm doing and think to myself, holy sh*t we won the SUPER BOWL. Let them think what they want, as long as you know the truth.

dunceface

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1jex37bj said:
It used to be that I would tell people I was a Seahawks fan, and they would ask, "Oh, are you from Washington?" I always wanted to say, "No, no, I just really enjoy suffering." At least that dynamic has changed.

lol good point :179422:

Jac":1jex37bj said:
ZagHawk":1jex37bj said:
I guess I'm a bandwagon fan because I'm new.

Moved back to Guam in 2009, attended 2 Seahawks games right before I left, to finally experience what they were like. Fell in love with the Hawks at that point, and continued to watch the Hawks from Guam after that.

If you fell in love with the Jim Mora Seahawks, that's about as opposite as you can get from being considered bandwagon. You certainly enjoyed a big helping of misery before the championship season.

Seriously. I keep my Housh jersey around just to remember the hard times of the Mora Era…but it stays on the far side of my Jerramy Stevens and John Randle type jerseys

gulliver

Reaction score
I'm a Seattle native and only moved away 2 years ago. Was in Chicago last weekend though and got nothing but compliments on my Hawk gear, so it hasn't been a problem for me. I also live in Rams country but they don't really seem to care; example: my brother came into town from Seattle for the @Rams game last year and a shopkeeper congratulated us on the win as we were walking to the game (it hadn't started...).

Most of the browbeating IMO comes from Hawk fans here, yes, even on this board. Being a Hawk fan never had currency before, but now that we win an SB, a few folks want to get into a d1ck-measuring contest about how many years they've been fans. I'm as much a fan as anyone, but that's obnoxious, and we'd all be well-served to keep it in perspective: these players are by and large non-Seattle guys who don't know you exist, don't care about you, and don't want to hang out with you or lift a finger for you. The monent you stop paying them what they think they're worth, they'll happily go to San Diego or Indy or even SF. I was cheering before the SB and after--if some folks are only here for the good times, so be it. The more the merrier. I'll still be here when we're not winning. Enjoy the good times.

stonewallj799

Reaction score
Yeah ironically I have not heard it as much as I thought I would. Living in Wisconsin people don't really question it as much as I thought. When I wear my Russell jersey most people just give respect. He is that loved in this state. I wore it to a packer preseason game last year thinking people would give me crap for the hail mary game. 80 percent of people gave me props. One lady said omg I love Russell more then anything. Her husband rolled his eyes at her.

two dog

Reaction score
Now that they have won the Super Bowl, everybody in Seahawk gear has probably had someone
call them a newbie. I am a fan since 1976 and bought my first season tickets in 1980. They didn't win
a single home game that year and people laughed at you for being a fan.

There are no bandwagon fans because they cannot become long term Seahawk fans without first
becoming fans.

halfrack

Reaction score
I don't get much of that crap since almost all my Hawks stuff is old school and worn. My tat is from just after the first logo change. Plus, everyone here knows from where I hail and who I root for. I have however noticed a few fellow Seahawk fans popping up all of sudden. I am no longer alone even in SW Kansas. All I can say is "It's about damn time". Welcome aboard friends!!!!!

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I haven't been called a bandwagoner in person, it's all been online. Whenever I hear something like "Seahawks fans were non-existent a couple years ago", I usually reply with something like "You must be a bandwagon fan, because if you weren't you would know that the Seahawks have been to the playoffs more in the last 10 seasons than all other teams in the NFL, except for the Pats and Colts".

Steve2222

Reaction score
Thats when you ask them to quiz you. If they don't have any quiz questions just start spitting out stuff. I can basically give you solid coverage of the team all the way back to 1999 (I'm only 27) including who was drafted each year, free agent pick ups, game overviews, etc.

I remember the days when it wasn't cool to be a Seahawks fan. Hell in my fifth grade class picture I'm wearing a Joey Galloway (who to be quite honest is probably my only true favorite Seahawks player) jersey in it and I wasn't even living in Washington at the time.

dbmack

Reaction score
I have been a fan for 38 years and I would fail any quiz one could give. Not all fans are into that stuff and not remembering who was on the team or who we drafted 20 years ago doesn't make me a bandwagon fan.

HansGruber

Reaction score
It's a sad day indeed when anyone measures their worth or value in any way by their "fanhood." What is this, religion? True believers are pathetic.

Someone once said the bandwagon thing to me while I was in NYC on business. Some shlub sitting there with his wife at the bar. Commented that there were no Seahawk fans a few years ago.

I turned, looked at him and said, "Why would I care?"

He literally had no answer. Didn't even stammer. Just sat there for a minute thinking about a comeback. I went back to my drink and talking to the friend I was with. That was the end of the conversation.

C-HAWK84

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":h5wys7b5 said:
I think it's hilarious the people can just assume someone is "bandwagon" because they wear Hawks gear :roll:

I'm heading out to Vegas this weekend, will be decked out as usual in my gear, but fully expect a few comments about the Hawks. Oh well, I'll just tell them what I always tell someone who tries to make that comment, I've been a fan since 76 son.
Im in the military and stationed in Vegas. I've been a Hawks fan since as far back as I can remember watching football. This area is very hit or miss when it comes to me wearing anything about the hawks. Lot of 40whiners fans here I guess. Ive had stickers on my vehicle defaced, many comments about seahawks sucking in some form or fashion, or just angry stares. But only in the last couple years never even got brought up before RW came to play. But I will say if there is a fellow 12 around we are usually pretty good about showing support to one another.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I am a Bandwagon fan. I've been one since Jack Patera, Jim Zorn and Steve Largent we're running around in the Dome having fun with trick plays. When the Hawks suck I watch something else. I honestly didn't get to see much of Cortez Kennedy. Really too bad a hall of famer like that didn't get to play on a better team. I know many of the players names from years gone by. I keep half an ear on the Seattle teams and when they are good I enjoy watching. It's just that, now that I'm older, with sports in general, with it being such a business and all, I have better things to do than watch a team lose. Pete says "Always Compete". They have to always compete for my time and dollars.

SC

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
irocdave":206qwd5v said:
.........If you just started following the Hawks, good for you. The more fans the Hawks have means more people watching, equals more attention from the NFL and it's media machine......
Agree 100%

Steve2222

Reaction score
dbmack":30u40yro said:
I have been a fan for 38 years and I would fail any quiz one could give. Not all fans are into that stuff and not remembering who was on the team or who we drafted 20 years ago doesn't make me a bandwagon fan.

Guess it doesn't make you a diehard then. If you were a true fan I'd expect you to know team history. I'd consider you a casual fan if you can't recall history.

dbmack

Reaction score
Steve2222":f3bnnu7a said:
dbmack":f3bnnu7a said:

Guess it doesn't make you a diehard then. If you were a true fan I'd expect you to know team history. I'd consider you a casual fan if you can't recall history.
I do know team history but to recall all the draft choices? No. I am a diehard fan and if you don't think so you should ask mr dbmack. He thinks I can be ridiculous about my love for the Seahawks.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Steve2222":1ijdg97f said:
dbmack":1ijdg97f said:

Or maybe just someone with a life and interests outside of memorizing useless data.

There are plenty of older Seahawk fans who don't care about trivia. I'm one of them. To me, it's just sad and pathetic to watch people spout out all sorts of sports trivia from memory.

It's like watching someone build a horse cart from raw lumber. Kinda entertaining for a few minutes, but of no practical use or benefit to anyone. A total waste of skill and energy.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
halps80":3daokyq7 said:
I usually just whip out my old-school logo-emblazoned bicep, and tell them I got it done in 1993, fresh off a 2-14 season. That shuts them the f*** up.
Pictures!

TAB420":3daokyq7 said:
I don't give a big fat pickle fart what anyone thinks.
That's too bad. That would be funny as he!! to watch.