Belicheat confirmed...Deflate-gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
bmorepunk":b954g6oa said:
MizzouHawkGal":b954g6oa said:
bmorepunk":b954g6oa said:
Okay everybody in the "it was cold" camp, here's some simple calculations you can do at home.

Knowing that the volume of the football is essentially constant, we only need to worry about Gay-Lussac's gas law:

Code:
 P1/T1 = P2/T2

The supposed low end NFL approved measurement is 12.5 psi, which is 86,184.47 pascals. The supposed difference in pressure was 2 psi, and 10.5 psi is 72,394.95 pascals. Let's assume that the balls were filled after resting at 72 degrees F and the air inside them is 72 degrees F (295.37 Kelvin) when filled. The resulting temperature to get it down to 10.5 psi is:

Code:
P1/T1 = P2/T2
T2 = (T1*P2) / P1 = (295.37 Kelvin * 72,394.95 pascals) /  86,184.47 pascals = 248.11 Kelvin

248.11 Kelvin = -13.07 degrees F

If the temperature on the field were 30 degrees F (272.04 K) and the balls settled at that temperature, the pressure would be:

Code:
P2 = (P1*T2) / T1
P2 = (86,184.47 pascals * 272.04 K) / 295.37 K
P2 = 79,377.13 pascals

79,377.13 pascals = 11.51 psi

Can we please stop with this "it was cold!!!" derp?
As I said around an 80 degree drop give or take a degree.

Did you eyeball it? If so you're probably a chemist or physicist.

I'm hoping showing some actual math will stop people from continuing to say that the temperature accounts for that much of a pressure drop. It's about 80 degrees assuming that we're spotting all the conditions in the Patriots' favor (ball was last measured indoors at room temperature, not accounting for compressed air being inherently cold, the balls not actually being at field temperature because they are handled/haven't had time to settle, etc.)

A bunch of people don't know how to science and it's kind of pissing me off.
Yeah, that's the eyeball result with the math involved they spoke about it on Maller last night because the producer's wife is an engineer and ran the math. Of course there could be variables but the gist is that it would involve a pretty massive temp drop without obvious cheating.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/

Nothing about it on NFL.com, I wonder why? Wouldn't want a legacy franchise to be put down, funny NFL.com had no problems at all making a big deal about the Browner/Sherman alleged failed drug test in the 2012 season.

Pats fan1

Reaction score
Reports out that the Colts told the NFL about this in mid November 2014 about the deflated footballs.

There are reports out now that the Ravens knew about deflated footballs and didn't want to be the snitches (Ozzie Newsome and Belichick are tight) so they gave the Colts the green light to leak it.

Also, it's been discussed that the Ravens gave the Colts their playbook before the game. Obviously that didn't work.

But if the league knew about this then why did they wait till after the AFC title game to release this info?

If the Pats wouldn't have won the game and the Ravens or Colts knocked the Pats out of the playoffs would this have been leaked?

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
RunTheBall":3ciqi1vo said:

Nothing about it on NFL.com, I wonder why? Wouldn't want a legacy franchise to be put down, funny NFL.com had no problems at all making a big deal about the Browner/Sherman alleged failed drug test in the 2012 season.

Yeah, I noticed that too. They did the same thing with the Rice scandal when the league was looking bad. Mum's the word! It's just a propaganda machine like Al Jazeera or Fox News, I guess.

Pats fan1

Reaction score
RunTheBall":1v17993t said:

Who cares about the NFL Network? The NFL does NOT have some secret or public love affair for the Pats. So many people in the NFL HATE the Pats and want Belichick gone.

And since it's the official NFL Network they need to be more careful on how they report things since they are not an independent news source. They don't have the luxory of being reporters for some local Indy newspaper who also has their own Twitter account to leak things on.

Seahawks aren't victims and neither are the Patriots.

The NFL is not protecting the Patriots.

And because there is people out there who think like you and a national perception that Goodell and Kraft are some how "good buddies" then Goodell is now in a position to come down extra hard on the Pats.

Goodell has no other choice than to really hammer people. His reputation and job is on the line.

Pats fan1

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":2ek8j3kw said:
RunTheBall":2ek8j3kw said:

Yeah, I noticed that too. They did the same thing with the Rice scandal when the league was looking bad. Mum's the word! It's just a propaganda machine like Al Jazeera or Fox News, I guess.

Or MSNBC or CNN or Comedy Central.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
bostonhardo":1rc22jz9 said:
Can somebody give me the results of the testing done on the Colts balls?

Yes. They were found to be normal.

hawk45

Reaction score
bostonhardo":3cvfusdv said:
just a lot of shit about nothing. just like Spygate.

I personally believe Belichick is too smart to risk losing draft picks and money over nothing, but if you say he's an idiot who am I to argue.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Pats fan1":239m54p2 said:
SnoCoHawk":239m54p2 said:
RunTheBall":239m54p2 said:

Or MSNBC or CNN or Comedy Central.

Actually the CNN anchor this morning was all over it cuz he's a Pats. Guess what? He is ashamed!!! He says cheating is wrong no matter what the results. He watches the games each week with his sons wearing their Brady jerseys and he was dismayed this was going with his team. Can't recall his name.

Chawks1

Reaction score
bostonhardo":3ggdiv5t said:

Yeah, Spygate was nothing. Belichick just had to write a check for $500k, Kraft had to write a check for $250k, and your team lost a first round pick. But it was nothing.

I'm curious what do you think the penalty for your team will be for this?

purpleneer

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2azp2xd2 said:
RolandDeschain":2azp2xd2 said:
volsunghawk":2azp2xd2 said:
Because throwing 14 games is on par with deflating balls by 2 PSI. Notice that every time you hear about cheating, it's in an attempt to WIN games. You never hear about cheating with the goal of losing games and very likely your job along with them. Coaches lost jobs. Players got cut. Polian got fired and so did his son. I'm sure that was their goal. :roll:
Yeah, because it'd take a concerted effort to lose 14 games with Curtis Painter at QB all year and a mediocre defense. Otherwise, hell, they'd have just stumbled onto a 16-0 season, right?

Also, way to imply that they wouldn't win by losing in the form of being able to draft Andrew Luck. Yep, no upside to it at all. Keep it comin', Volsung; I love it! :lol:

No upside to it for Polian, the coaching staff, the other QBs on the roster. You do get the concept that losing badly tends to cost folks their jobs, right? So all those people were fine with the possibility of losing their jobs just so the guys who replaced them could draft Luck?

Oh, and now you admit that the team had poor QBs and a mediocre defense. Those were essentially all the same players they had the year before when they went 10-6. The 2010 team had an awful defense and an awful rush offense, and the Colts were a team that was starting to decline some from their height. The only thing keeping them relevant was a weak AFC South and Peyton Freaking Manning. And when the one player keeping the Colts in contention went down, the steep drop off to becoming a really bad team somehow indicates "tanking"?

Think of it this way. The Colts were a racecar with subpar tires, suspension, transmission, etc. But that car had an INCREDIBLE engine. Just phenomenal. And the only reason it was winning races was because of that great engine. And so everything about that car was tweaked just so to complement the engine. Plus, the engine was really expensive, so the racing team had to skimp on improving those other parts of the car, and the replacement engines they had available weren't much to speak of. Now, when that engine breaks down and the racing team is forced to put a crap engine in there with all the other subpar components, and that car loses race after race... is the racing team TANKING the races, or is it just a case of "well, yeah, when you take away the one thing that made that car competitive, no wonder it loses"?

I have no idea why so many people love to jump to conspiracy when all the evidence available points to poor planning or just plain human incompetence.

The list of Colts backup QBs in the Manning era is strong evidence that they had the approach of any season with Manning out for an extended period would be sacrificed as a regrouping year with at least a modest jump in draft position and an easy excuse. The degree of dropoff and how little else it took exposed the weakness of their other roster management and that Manning and a weak division propped up the team more than some realized, hence the firings. The short-term personnel decisions were always going to allow for that season to be lost, then the severity of the injury and the availability of Luck conspired to make it an easy call to go big. Just the lack of bringing a more viable QB alone shows that, at the management level, they tanked.

bostonhardo

Reaction score
hawk45":183nxf39 said:
bostonhardo":183nxf39 said:

I personally believe Belichick is too smart to risk losing draft picks and money over nothing, but if you say he's an idiot who am I to argue.

Bob Kraft called him an idiot for Spygate. When I say nothing I mean no advantage. Spygate was not about filming other coaching staffs. They all do it. It was about filming them from your own sideline. It's perfectly legal to do it from the stands or pressbox as long as its undercover. It became an issue because Eric Mangina had an issue with BB and wanted to break his balls.

This ball shit is just that shit. If the PSI of balls was so important than ALL the balls in ALL the games would be controlled and measured before and after. How do you know Roger's balls weren't overinflated last Sunday. You don't. You have no idea because it's not important.

I'm glad most of the Hawk fans I have read here care more about just smashing Brady's pretty face in than his balls. Leave the whining to the fag Jet fans.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
http://www.brobible.com/sports/article/ ... flategate/

Rog with Kraft before AFC Title Game....

roger-goodell-robert-kraft.jpg

No way Rog drops the hammer on his good buddy Kraft.

sc85sis

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":19ekbv29 said:
Vancanhawksfan":19ekbv29 said:
Note:

Out of every player on the field, the one player who MUST have known that the balls weren't inflated to regulation is Tom Brady. There is absolutely no possible way that he grips one of those balls and can't tell that it has been deflated.
One Colts player noticed it just from picking off a pass, every Pats receiver that caught a pass had to have known, too.
Which does beg the question, why didn't the officials notice it whenever they spotted the ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.