Bengals vs Bills

86Hawk

Reaction score
Players are paid so that they can give the people, fans entertainment. Even though players get injured, it’s all part of the game and marketing.

At what injury can players decide that they shouldn’t play? What about when Tua got hurt against the Bengals. It’s common sense to understand that this is a violent sport but that’s why these guys get paid the big bucks.

Now this is a big mess because of playoff seating and fantasy stats. If they continue this rematch, it will affect both parties for an extra game.
Nice job of doubling down on being completely self entered and heartless. I might have a different choice of words for someone like you if this were in the shack.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Players are paid so that they can give the people, fans entertainment. Even though players get injured, it’s all part of the game and marketing.
Respectfully disagree that having no pulse is part of the game. I'm personally willing to forgo a few hours of entertainment in the interest of humanity.

At what injury can players decide that they shouldn’t play? What about when Tua got hurt against the Bengals. It’s common sense to understand that this is a violent sport but that’s why these guys get paid the big bucks.
I think being minutes away from death and needing CPR and defibrillation is a decent starting point.

Now this is a big mess because of playoff seating and fantasy stats. If they continue this rematch, it will affect both parties for an extra game.

Ivan Drago, is that you ?

Last edited:

QWERTY

Reaction score
The type of injury where a player may die is "at what injury."
I remember having to keep on missions when one of my friends and brother Marines was shot through the mouth and neck and died.

But that was a war and we had to press on, even though I was crying on the inside after the tears on the outside had stopped.

This isn't a war. The fate of a conflict doesn't rest on the Bengals and Bills. It's a game. It's OK to let the game go and reflect.

I just want to say one thing. In my opinion I could care less about this game. But I was thinking the minds of sponsors or other businessmen. Look at MLB, you see some batters hit a foul ball and it hits a little girl straight into the head.

I don't think the Bengals would be happy with a tie. I think they would want a reschedule.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree that having no pulse is part of the game. I'm personally willing to forgo a few hours of entertainment in the interest of humanity.

I think being minutes away from death and needing CPR and defibrillation is a decent starting point.

Ivan Drago, is that you ?
Do you think the NFL team owners care about it's own players? If you really think the answer is yes, you are greatly mistaken. Rich people dgaf about other people.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Do you think the NFL team owners care about it's own players? If you really think the answer is yes, you are greatly mistaken. Rich people dgaf about other people.

I guess I am greatly mistaken. It's not the first time. I do think rich people can care about the life and death of other people. Josh Allen signed a $258 million dollar contract, and he seemed like he "gaf". Regardless, they seem to care more than you do based on your posts.

Agree to disagree. Each to their own. I do agree with you that it is unlikely the game will be played.

QWERTY

Reaction score
I guess I am greatly mistaken. It's not the first time. I do think rich people can care about the life and death of other people. Josh Allen signed a $258 million dollar contract, and he seemed like he "gaf". Regardless, they seem to care more than you do based on your posts.

Agree to disagree. Each to their own. I do agree with you that it is unlikely the game will be played.
Josh Allen is a player.

I’m talking about these owners who are multi millionaires or billionaires.

But I still think game has to be played. Playoff seating matters and a tie would help the bills.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think it's pretty easy for an owner to give a shit about a player and the immediate and obvious life threatening trauma. You'd have to view them as almost inhuman as opposed to just generally uncaring.

Long term issues of playing in the NFL, I'd agree, care doesn't overcome the finances.

Rainger

Reaction score
Josh Allen is a player.

I’m talking about these owners who are multi millionaires or billionaires.

But I still think game has to be played. Playoff seating matters and a tie would help the bills.
So according to you. Paul Allen didn't give a rats ass about people.

Hmm why would you be a fan of a team that had such an evil billionaire as the owner? Who only cared about himself and his money and had contempt and disregard for the players his staff and the people of Seattle??? According to your belief system

JPatera76

Reaction score
Come on people. Keep the thread on track. If you want to debate the nfl owners billionaires and staff and all that make a new thread in the appropriate area And refrain from making or getting into pissing matches and personal attacks. Otherwise this will be locked.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Here is an MD Sports Doctor. It's only 2 minutes.

It's possible (it actually seems) like:

Commotio Cordis

A little longer but more informative by Dr. Mike Hansen.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Back in high school when I had a teammate die playing football, we took a team vote to see if we wanted to play our next game, and not knowing what their options are, I think that would be the appropriate way to handle this situation.

I'm no doctor and don't want to speculate, but the hit didn't seem like it was severe enough on its own to cause a traumatic event. My guess is that Hamlin had some type of pre-existing condition, a genetic defect or something. But on the other hand, as thorough as they are with monitoring the condition of NFL's players, you would think that they would have caught something like that in a physical, so who knows.

D

DomeHawk

It's natural for people to speculate, we all are curious as to what happened.

From what little I have heard I am more optimistic than I was last night. They are reporting that he is in critical but stable condition.

Here's to hoping he makes a full and complete recovery!

RiverDog

Reaction score
A good explanation of what happened

Excellent, thanks for the link.

Here's the latest on Hamlin:

Update on Damar: His vitals are back to normal and they have put him to sleep to put a breathing tube down his throat. They are currently running tests. We will provide updates as we have them.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Did anyone here actually see the hit that Hamlin was involved with.

Commotio Cordis generally takes a very well place hit where the energy is focused in a tight area (much like 90 mph baseball).

Yeah. Hamlin makes contact with Higgins, whose helmet went into the chest area of Hamlin as Hamlin wraps him up. Hamlin stands up, adjusts his favemask and then passes out landing On his back.

The force to Hamlins chest was spread Over a greater area than a fastball and Delivered at a lower rate of speed.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yeah. Hamlin makes contact with Higgins, whose helmet went into the chest area of Hamlin as Hamlin wraps him up. Hamlin stands up, adjusts his favemask and then passes out landing On his back.

The force to Hamlins chest was spread Over a greater area than a fastball and Delivered at a lower rate of speed.
To me it didn't look bad at all,I'm guessing he had a pre existing condition
that doesn't always get detected early or he developed it during the season.
We don't know what's going on at this point because he still needs a breathing
tube? @pmedic920 already pointed out meds can stabilize the vitals.
I hope theres a few updates later to clear up all the questions and that he's feeling
much better.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I’m putting this here as it was broadcast via espn, cnn and msnbc to tens of millions of people, and a verbal description alone doesn’t cut it.

This looks Like a Very routine tackle. You can see him get up with Teammates walking away like everything’s normal.

RiverDog

Reaction score

That's how I saw it, too. I was streaming the game on my tablet and had navigated away immediately after the tackle but was able to replay it. I didn't think much of the hit, either, and until I saw the video posted above, felt that the most likely cause was some type of genetic heart defect that had gone undetected.

I'm currently watching NBC's Today show, and their Dr. cited the same condition as was noted in the above video, a condition known as commotio cordis, Latin for agitation of the heart, as the likely cause.

Last edited: