Bennet shares hugs and words with Vets and Seahawk fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk45

Reaction score
RockHawk":3ap4qpm6 said:
hawk45":3ap4qpm6 said:
So I have a question. Has anyone found anywhere that Bennett says something more specific than "unity" or "inequality" that might serve as a basis for meaningful discussion?

In the article from the OP the word "unity" was thrown around and "conversation," as well as shared admission that nobody knows where to go from here.

Where is here? This is my frustration with "raising awareness". I almost get the sense that Bennett is a pretty sweet guy who wants to seem open and not offend anyone, which is laudable. This leads him to avoid specific complaints that might offend people. Other than the discussion around his Vegas incident, he doesn't seem to be focused on a message of systemic racist application of force by law enforcement. The unity and conversation word salad is inoffensive to no one but doesn't advance anything.

If all Bennett is doing is emotional outreach without presenting a specific problem to be solved, I have a hard time understanding why his efforts are a net positive. The emotional outreach is offset by the inflammatory method of protest. If there's no underlying, actionable, specific grievance behind it, all that is happening is we are reminded that there is a lot of work to do and how far apart we are. In other words, it's divisive for no gain.

I feel he and Baldwin have been very clear in their intent, and what they're trying to bring light to. Watch this week's CNN interviews and the town hall featuring both and they will answer your question without being vague at all.

Appreciate the response Rockhawk, mainly that the tone of response didn't imply bad faith selective reasoning on my part but merely lack of information. On your advice I just finished watching the CNN interview, and the closest it came to specifics were when Baldwin mentioned racial animus coming from the highest position in the land. I didn't hear the focus I wanted to on use of force.

But I haven't watched the townhall yet, and I will, and adjust my opinion accordingly.

One thing I will say, I can't watch a Doug Baldwin interview, his obvious hesitation to besmirch the president's motives even when it's easy (and maybe right) to do so, his judiciousness with his words, and not be impressed by a young man displaying poise far beyond what I would have displayed at that age.

Baldwin is the best hope IMO for a cogent and actionable set of demands we can evaluate and act on. Even if I don't see it when I watch the Townhall, I feel he is the leader to eventually focus on achievable goals, and I don't get even a whiff of bad faith from the guy.

Tapper gave him all kinds of rope to hang himself with and he wouldn't (rope in terms of opportunities for divisive blanket statements). More than I can say for many of the politicians Tapper has interviewed.

Baldwin is keeping my mind open, and I'm obviously sensitive to empty virtue signaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.