Bennett's Agent met with Seahawks about new deal

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3nl49syf said:
Rob12":3nl49syf said:
Hope MB can maximize his value here - he deserves it. Salary cap be damned. He's earned it.
So you want him to get his money regardless of what it does to the team? That makes no sense. I want to win and will root for the team to succeed. To do that you don't damn the salary cap just to pay a guy more.

Here is Bennett's current contract details.

Ok, with that out there here is my take on things. If you perform well at your job, can you ask for a raise? I see this as no different, you can ask and the worst thing they can do is say no. But if they do say no you keep doing your job until you either get that raise or move on.

Michael kept doing his job last year, and did it exceptionally well. He deserves to get rewarded for that IMO, and if you don't think so then never ask for a raise for yourself ever again.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2g45ljup said:
Tech Worlds":2g45ljup said:
Rob12":2g45ljup said:
Hope MB can maximize his value here - he deserves it. Salary cap be damned. He's earned it.
So you want him to get his money regardless of what it does to the team? That makes no sense. I want to win and will root for the team to succeed. To do that you don't damn the salary cap just to pay a guy more.

Ok, with that out there here is my take on things. If you perform well at your job, can you ask for a raise? I see this as no different, you can ask and the worst thing they can do is say no. But if they do say no you keep doing your job until you either get that raise or move on.

Michael kept doing his job last year, and did it exceptionally well. He deserves to get rewarded for that IMO, and if you don't think so then never ask for a raise for yourself ever again.
I got no problem with him asking. That's not what I said. My issue is "salary cap be damned".

Ask away. Nothing wrong with that.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2oq5g8oc said:
Wonder how Kam is feeling today after hearing this?

Always compete doesn't just mean in practice or on the field against players in your position group, you have to compete against your peers for the money too and the fact is that Kam did not play to the level Bennett did. If you have to consider a new contract to one of them Bennett did everything needed to show he deserves more. I'm sure Kam still feels like the odd man out.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":18rbe2t1 said:
Tech Worlds":18rbe2t1 said:
Rob12":18rbe2t1 said:

So....Money is no object?.....The Cap should be ignored....Just make the rich guy a little richer...To hell with trying to work within a restrictive Cap Budget, or trying to improve the rest of the teams weak links, make Mike happy?

crosfam

Reaction score
If we are getting a few more years under contract, with him at his prime, then a new contract is worth it. Less of a raise than simply a new contract. Hypothetically, if he was a free agent, we would be trying like heck to get him into a new 4 yr. deal. So a 2 or even 3 year extension is not a bad idea.

edogg23

Reaction score
The whole reason you don't redo contracts with multi years left no matter what is to avoid this crap every off season. Once you do it for one person it will keep coming up season. Do you want a repeat of Kam every year with one or more players?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1s6mseaj said:
So....Money is no object?.....The Cap should be ignored....Just make the rich guy a little richer...To hell with trying to work within a restrictive Cap Budget, or trying to improve the rest of the teams weak links, make Mike happy?

So, he simply shouldn't ask? If they can give him a raise and still have it cap friendly you simply don't do it? People are thinking that this would happen in a vacuum with no other mitigating factors involved. If they couldn't do it, they won't. He should still ask as there is absolutely no harm in that.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If he winds up making more money, hopefully the new deal will include a performance incentive. Something like -$10,000 off of each paycheck each time he draws an offsides penalty.

milhawker

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2z23ej05 said:
If he winds up making more money, hopefully the new deal will include a performance incentive. Something like -$10,000 off of each paycheck each time he draws an offsides penalty.
Sounds like a deal where the team ends up making money!

Largent80

Reaction score
Throw Mike a bone, and lets get something for Chancellor who more than likely will pout again.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
CPHawk":2tgzl9gn said:
Hawk_Nation":2tgzl9gn said:
Wonder how Kam is feeling today after hearing this?

How should he feel? He played his worst year in 4 seasons. Maybe next time he will play the entire year, and prove he deserves more money. All he did this season, was prove he might be wearing down and he doesn't deserve a increase.
Truth.

Now give Bennett a little raise to show how more money is earned.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
edogg23":3th9ob7m said:
The whole reason you don't redo contracts with multi years left no matter what is to avoid this crap every off season. Once you do it for one person it will keep coming up season. Do you want a repeat of Kam every year with one or more players?
It sets a bad precedent, for sure.

BUT...if a team refuses to give a raise to someone who doesn't deserve it (kam), and instead gives performance bonuses in a reworked contract to someone who DOES deserve it (bennett) then the message becomes:

EARN IT!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ You still end up with the same problem, though. Let's say Thomas Rawls "earns it" next year; you're still screwed of he holds out for 8 million rather than playing the final year of his deal (with the RFA tag on top of that year).

For someone like Bennett, I think you want to do something like offer a two year extension at, say, 10 million or so for each extensions year and in exchange you agree to convert his base next year and the year after into guaranteed money.

Once you start re-working contracts without demanding team friendly extensions you're just getting yourself in a ton of trouble, IMO.

edogg23

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3a45ubtg said:
^^^ You still end up with the same problem, though. Let's say Thomas Rawls "earns it" next year; you're still screwed of he holds out for 8 million rather than playing the final year of his deal (with the RFA tag on top of that year).

For someone like Bennett, I think you want to do something like offer a two year extension at, say, 10 million or so for each extensions year and in exchange you agree to convert his base next year and the year after into guaranteed money.

Once you start re-working contracts without demanding team friendly extensions you're just getting yourself in a ton of trouble, IMO.
Exactly! If a player wants to be rewarded for performance, then he should get his original contract constructed with performance escalators in it. How do you think ADB is going to feel if Bennett gets more money after the year he had? The Seahawks already partially opened Pandora's box with Lynch, got it closed again with Kam, and now have a chance to lock it shut with Bennett.

Basis4day

Reaction score
It bares repeating. They re-did Chris Clemons contract. Lynch wasn't the first.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
fenderbender123":14a6t2c2 said:

No way. He takes risks at the line which pay off more often then they don't. If we're going to go with incentives at all, you don't put an incentive on more conservative play without incentive for aggressive play.

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":vx92mqxr said:
I guess you give him more. Hurts our depth in other places and could cost us a championship but players don't care. Just gotta get theirs.

They shouldn't either.