Best pick, worst pick

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":tz3rba6p said:
You'll never convince me drafting a kicker in Round 2 - off a trade UP - is a good pick though lol. I don't care if he goes 80 for 80 on the year.. he's a kicker kearly! :th2thumbs:

I thought Aguayo was a terrible pick. Yet in terms of free agent dollars saved, it's not really any worse than drafting a pure run stuffer. That's not so much a commentary on Reed as it is on the inefficiencies of the market and that both Seattle and Tampa failed to take full advantage of those inefficiencies.

Now if Reed can turn that quick first step of his into pass rush ability while playing in Seattle's one gap defense, then this is a great pick. But if he doesn't, it will go down as a case of falling in love with a player instead of drafting for value. I'm hoping to be wrong, but I just think that if Reed was going to be a pass rusher, Nick Saban would have gotten it out of him. I guess time will tell.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I'm not sure about best and worst, but...

Favorite: Moves made in round 1-2. I feel like the team did a fantastic job moving around in rounds 1 and 2 to get two players they loved. I truly believe they got two of the top 26 players on their board - and did so netting a bit of value later in the draft.

Least Favorite: Ifedi. I know that he has the physical tools to dominate at this level, but when I look at his film, I'm left worried that he's years away from being a viable option. And while I'm encouraged by Cabel on this one (apparently, Cabel ran his pro day), I worry that he will be another player that simply never develops. Hope I'm wrong :)

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Best pick: Nick Vannett, this guy is going to improve both our running game and passing game a lot. Drafting a high impact player in the third is always great value.

Worst pick: Zac Brooks, even though he was taken at the back end of the 7th and can be consisered little more than a udfa, he's still the only pick where I thought the player just had no chance to make the roster.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The Hawks had two picks I really liked and one pick I really didn't like. There's no point debating any of this until a couple years down the line, but here's my initial reactions.

Best Picks

Kenny Lawler -- Really a great fit with the direction that the Seahawks' passing attack seems to be going. He might never start in year 1 I think he'll at least make the practice squad, and he'll be a really nice to piece to have a few years down the line. Great value in the 7th round too.

Jarran Reed -- I seriously don't buy that he was ever seriously in the conversation in the first round, but this was an excellent pick when the Hawks took him, and at a generally undervalued position of need. People still say "two down" DTs to describe one-dimensional guys who are strong in the run game, but as teams are playing two-thirds of their snaps out of "base" these days, the phrasing should really be changed to "one down" DTs. The good thing though is that the Rams and 49ers are going to be running the ball a ton, so within the division, save for the Cardinals, he'll spend more time on the field than he would in most divisions. He's really excellent at the one thing he does well. Maybe in a few years he develops as a pass rusher too. I really like this pick, although I think Kearly is spot on about it too.

Worst Picks

Germain Ifedi -- He's a great athelete, but simply not a very good football player at this point. A lot of teams would only want him as a guard because he couldn't even hold up as a tackle in pass pro at the college level. I'd be more okay with it if he was drafted by a team that didn't need to start him from day 1, but for the Hawks, I just really didn't like this pick at all. It was bad value and a bad match for team needs. He could end up developing (as can everyone), but there were IMO better day 1 starters at both tackle and guard who were taken much, much later in the draft.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Best pick: reed.

Not because of a high ceiling, but because of his high floor at a position that we needed to address. People like to badmouth safe picks, but a truly safe pick is exactly that: safe. Being a big, strong, run-stuffing DT is probably the skill that successfully translates best to the NFL. It is usually injuries that take these guys down, not an inability to adjust to the NFL.

Worst pick(s): drafting 3 RBs

I could be wrong, but i don't see any of them being better than Rawls. I'd be surprised if more than 1 of them is better than Michael. I'd also be surprised if all 3 made the team.

So with a 3rd rounder, a 5th rounder, and a 7th rounder we likely.....upgraded our RB2 and added a RB3 and saved a small amount of money assuming we let go of Michael (even though I suspect he'd be our third best RB).

There are certainly worse outcomes in the draft, but using a 3rd, 5th, and 7th to upgrade your backup RB is not good value on paper. Obviously if one of them becomes a star then it all works out, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Overall the Hawks addressed most of their needs (which is what the draft is for) and drafted 10 (better than 7 or 8 ) guys to add to the competition. Most importantly we will actually have REAL competition on the OL among guys who have ACTUALLY PLAYED on the offensive line before. Last year nobody really won their spot on the offensive line, the Hawks just had to try to pick the best losers.

Grade: B
We didn't "kill it" but this draft should be our best since 2012, and Reed alone makes it better than 2013 and 2014 drafts.

Basis4day

Reaction score
McGruff":16u7ui2e said:
Right after Clark was picked Carroll took one of the four player cards on his desk and threw it in the trash. Reading from left to right it was the first card. He looked pretty disappointed.

When asked at the press conference about upsets, I'm pretty sure Clark was one of them.

Keep in mind that the war room is on a delay by a couple minutes, so it's difficult to tell which picks they may be reacting to.
They also learn the picks before they are announced to the public.

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":xzmnl638 said:
McGruff":xzmnl638 said:
Right after Clark was picked Carroll took one of the four player cards on his desk and threw it in the trash. Reading from left to right it was the first card. He looked pretty disappointed.

When asked at the press conference about upsets, I'm pretty sure Clark was one of them.

Keep in mind that the war room is on a delay by a couple minutes, so it's difficult to tell which picks they may be reacting to.
They also learn the picks before they are announced to the public.

Well, if they are on delay but learn early, it basically washes out to on time, right?

I found it interesting because Seattle was interested in Clark leading up to the draft, and picked Odhiambo shortly after. Doesn't take much to read the tea leaves.

justafan

Reaction score
Best for me was Reed.If he becomes the rock on the Dline I believe he will be, he is a steal. He will probably sign a little higher contract than Mitch Morris did last year, so 5 or 6 mil for 4 years is a pretty good moneyball pick.You wont find a run stopper like him in FA for that price IMO. I always love the players who excel at the dirty work without the fanfare.

My least favorite was Rees Odhiambo.He could become a great player but he has had bad luck with injuries.I never like gambling on players who are unfortunate to have alot of injuries.Especially when there is so many talented players who have been fortunate to stay healthy.

Latest posts