Best play in Seahawk history?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I've been a Hawks fans since '76, but to me the top three plays were all in this latest game.

1. Sherman's tip to Malcolm (Sealed the win).
2. Kearses catch for a TD (high degree of difficulty and gave us a lead that we wouldn't relinquish).
3. Beast's run to tie the score (major statement against a great run D)

I view this game as our crowning achievement. Sure, the 2005 team made it to the show, but this team did it against a much more worthy opponent on the tail end of a season that was a trial by fire. I could pull even more plays from this game that deserve consideration, especially from the defensive side of the ball. How about Kam's lights-out play? Not only did he get a pick off of V. Davis, but he gave him another good thumping and tagged Crabapple as well. The dude is a human wrecking ball, and his coverage skills have seemingly improved ten-fold. I've been arguing with Brock Huard about him off and on, because Brock questioned whether he was worth the contract we gave him. Brock finally admitted he was wrong today on the Pete Carroll show; a pretty stand-up move, IMO. Bobby Wagner was a man possessed.. I could go on and on.

Anyhow, I love to wax nostalgic about maybe what I would call the 'most enjoyable' plays at times too, but I have to consider the significance of the play before I'd call it 'the best.' There are so many amazing things Pete Carroll's boys have accomplished that I have to hand it to them.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Barakas":3doonzzh said:
Maybe not best but top 5 has to include the 4th and 7, TD catch that put the Seahawks on top.

The forgotten play.

Jac

Reaction score
I mean I think it has to be. I'm not sure there is another CB out there that could have elevated, extended, and located like Sherman did. That was an all-or-nothing play with a SB appearance on the line. It was improbable Hollywood scripting. If he didn't make that singular play, the devastation and heart break for the team and its fanbase would have been immeasurable with potential long-term hangover ramifications. I mean a full offseason "arms race" and 18 (or 19) games for both teams came down to that moment. It was all or nothing.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
It would be disingenuous to ignore some of the plays that past teams have pulled off. Granted none was as pivotal as the Sherman Tip with a trip to the Superbowl on the line. Dave Kreig avoiding his eighth sackof the day, throwing to Paul Skansi on the last play of the game against the Chiefs back in 1990 comes to mind. Or how about those old Efren Herrera/Jim Zorn Fake Field goals? Kam Chancellor laying out Vernon Davis. So many to chose from! But Sherm got us to the Super Bowl, so hard not to put him at number 1.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
Best play in Seahawk is something that will be debated as long as the 12th man is alive.

My past Seahawk greatest plays or moments:

1. Largent hit on Mike Harden - completely unplanned and "in the moment", only long time twelves remember this one, entire sequence can be found on utube

2. Beast quake vs the Saints - again an "'in the moment" event that will be talked about in greatest playoff runs discussion 50 years from now.

My current Seahawk greatest play or moment:

Sherm to Malcom Smith; it was not an "in the moment" it was like planned by Sherm, only the timing to be determined

My future Seahawk greatest play or moment:

It is calender year 2030; An online or skyped gathering of twelves arguing which Russell Wilson highlight was greatest as his pending retirement is discussed or was greatest Seahawk moment winning 6th Super Bowl to move past stealers or the 7th to shut up all the ESPN pundits and remove all doubt.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
For me:

1. Beast Quake - became the defining play of the new generation Seahawks and energized the entire city
2. The Immaculate Deflection - possibly tainted (a tad) by all the negativity thrown around Sherman's comments
3. Curt Warner's very first hand off in 1983 in the season opener against the Chiefs, ran for around 67 yards.
4. Largent's hit on Thomas Harden - we will see this replay a lot the next two weeks
5. Largent's long reception against the Dolphins in AFC Divisional playoffs that set up Warner's game winning TD

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
Jac":38ngoqiw said:
I mean I think it has to be. I'm not sure there is another CB out there that could have elevated, extended, and located like Sherman did. That was an all-or-nothing play with a SB appearance on the line. It was improbable Hollywood scripting. If he didn't make that singular play, the devastation and heart break for the team and its fanbase would have been immeasurable with potential long-term hangover ramifications. I mean a full offseason "arms race" and 18 (or 19) games for both teams came down to that moment. It was all or nothing.

Well put - Hollywood couldn't have set it up any better

Raptor22

Reaction score
In no particular order, here are some of my favorites (I only became a serious follower of the team a few years ago so that's why these are all fairly recent):

Beastquake
Romo's botched snap
Sherman's deflection to Smith
Fail Mary
Kearse's TD in the NFCCG
Smith's pick-6 in the SB
Harvin's kickoff return for a TD

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rjdriver":3n42ij0u said:
Much Respect Si..

But Beast Quake was pretty freaking awesome!
Not if you're going to take what that 'Tipped Pass' meant for the outcome of this Season, and by that, I mean just imagine Sherman NOT getting his mitt on that pass, and Crabtree coming down with that ball.
Beast mode run on the Aints was pretty sensational, but I have to go with Sherman's game saver, and getting us into SB XLVIII.

kjreid

Reaction score
rjdriver":ay6k3ltu said:
Not a lot of significance, but the blocked field goal against Del Greco and the Oilers in 1996 will always be one of my personal favorites.

I still remember that game, it was awesome. I would put that play in the top 10 great plays. a blocked FG returned for the win.

FDNYHAWK

Reaction score
I totally disagree with the romo botched snap as a best seahawks play. There was still over a minute and a half left in that game after the snap and we had the ball at our own 2 yard line. The best play of that game was Alexander's (about) 20 yard run after the botched snap that gave us a first down and then room to punt the ball away. Without that run, we punt from our own end zone and we probably lose the game as Dallas only need a couple of yards to get into field goal range

I agree on kearse catch that it was an awesome play but I wonder if it wasn't a free play, does Wilson go up top with that ball or just tries to get a first down

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
I'd rate Beastquake as the greatest play but The Tip as the most important play in Seattle sports history.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1xvfozjj said:
1: Beastquake
2: The Tip
3: Babs tackles Romo at the 1
4: The Largent Hit
5: Warner's TD vs Miami
6: Efren Herrera catches a TD
7: Krieg beats KC
8: Kearse 4th and 7
9: Alexander's 5th TD in first half
10: Largent's 100th TD
7 - you mean the play where what's-his-name the LB was about to set a new record for sacks in a game and Krieg got rid of the ball for a hail mary td - oh hell yeah that's a big one.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Tip is the biggest play because it put us in the SB and establishing we own SF, Harbaugh and Kaep.

daveCFPrez

Reaction score
Seahawk772002":vzasfoi7 said:
Best play in Seahawk is something that will be debated as long as the 12th man is alive.

My past Seahawk greatest plays or moments:

1. Largent hit on Mike Harden - completely unplanned and "in the moment", only long time twelves remember this one, entire sequence can be found on utube

2. Beast quake vs the Saints - again an "'in the moment" event that will be talked about in greatest playoff runs discussion 50 years from now.

My current Seahawk greatest play or moment:

Sherm to Malcom Smith; it was not an "in the moment" it was like planned by Sherm.

I'm in agreement.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
C. mike.

Edit: never mind, thought it said best player in seahawk history.