Bevell: "had the look we wanted" on the first 2pt conversion

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2kz6nu6g said:
Siouxhawk":2kz6nu6g said:
You guys are too much. The entire back corner of the end zone was open for Kearse. He just didn't react very well once the ball was in the air, but we should have had 2 on that play.
Oh, the lulz. In your zeal to blame the player you never saw him get held.
He wasn't trying to blame the player as much as deflect the blame from Bevell.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1gztm8j9 said:
Scottemojo":1gztm8j9 said:
Siouxhawk":1gztm8j9 said:
You guys are too much. The entire back corner of the end zone was open for Kearse. He just didn't react very well once the ball was in the air, but we should have had 2 on that play.
For a mod, you seem to attack the poster instead of discussing the post way too much.

StoneCold

Reaction score
From that view it looks like the ball is thrown between Baldwin and Kearse. Ball Should have gone to the corner where Kearse was headed. Despite the hold he had some daylight and could have had a chance to dive or leap for the catch. Where it was thrown it was to nobody.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11226ng9 said:
I don't need a reason to moan, it's the damn truth. Bevell is a joke, and the play calling is pathetic.
That's far from the truth. But it is your opinion. Mine is that what we've banked on as our identity hasn't been as reliable as it had been the last 2 years and we're not closing out games. Offensive line has been substandard and that's led to breakdowns.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Of course, the O Line being ignored has changed everything on the offense. Including how the QB plays. But it doesn't change the fact that Bevell continues to not know how to use the talent he has, and his play calling is pathetic.

Laloosh

Reaction score
StoneCold":2c7dw8zm said:
From that view it looks like the ball is thrown between Baldwin and Kearse. Ball Should have gone to the corner where Kearse was headed. Despite the hold he had some daylight and could have had a chance to dive or leap for the catch. Where it was thrown it was to nobody.

Do we know what Kearse was going to do? He never got to run his route.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Laloosh":3bm3r1v1 said:
MontanaHawk05":3bm3r1v1 said:
I might be wrong, though, so does anyone have the all-22 breakdown of the first 2-point conversion attempt?

Looked to me like Kearse was held...

xAfJZHM.gif

He was held, referee was looking that way. Not sure why he didn't see it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
ivotuk":2p3l3b7u said:
Laloosh":2p3l3b7u said:
MontanaHawk05":2p3l3b7u said:
I might be wrong, though, so does anyone have the all-22 breakdown of the first 2-point conversion attempt?

Looked to me like Kearse was held...

xAfJZHM.gif

He was held, referee was looking that way. Not sure why he didn't see it.

Kind of an important play too, right? I mean, all AZ needed was for it to be a 3rd down when they were on offense. Shead was called for a defensive hold on the complete opposite side of the field than where the ball went. These refs couldn't even see a hold on the receiver that the ball was in the air and on it's way to.

Isn't that technically interference?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3umxao75 said:
SomersetHawk":3umxao75 said:
Holding or not, that really isn't that great a look.
Why? The space in the back of the end zone was unguarded. It looks like it would have been a matter of just keeping his feet inbounds.

Because the playcall doesn't maximise the potential of that space. Kearse gets a free release yet runs into the defender who just gave him some cushion. Him and Baldwin end up in a very similar area with the back corner completely unguarded. Had Kearse's route been to break to the corner of the endzone then he'd have been open regardless of the holding, likewise if it was just an out-route to the sideline. Both routes would have made more sense than the ones he and Doug ran. I don't know if this is Bevell trying to outthink the defense and losing (again) or Kearse running the wrong route, but I'm guessing they ran it right because the ball ended up pretty much where Kearse would have been but for the hold.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Laloosh":33r9g0n3 said:
StoneCold":33r9g0n3 said:

He was impeded, but it looks like he was heading to the corner and the ball was thrown behind him.

I remember watching this play and thinking, "Who was that supposed to go to?" It hits the ground between the two receivers.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1at7nab7 said:
Scottemojo":1at7nab7 said:
Siouxhawk":1at7nab7 said:

Exactly. I mean we can sit here and talk about the uncalled penalties all day, but guess what?. Kearse finds soft spots in zone and hasn't played particularly well in tight matchups all year.

So why in the hell are we targeting him???

Because Jimmy has a couple drops we don't even target him when he clearly has the out route all to himself?

Bevell and Bevell defenders just miss the Damn point and claw their way to justification.

JFG is on the field. Isolated. And we target jermaine freaking kearse.

Kearse has had his moments and i love the guy. But remind me the last time he's done anything in tight Windows and tight spacing. His skill is in soft zones and otherwise wide open space, a la nfccg game winner, super bowl miracle catch, etc.

Lest we forget the final play of the super bowl, kearse is not a near the end zone threat. he's completely incapable of the body positioning off tight man coverage to be where russ needs him to be.

DUH!!! WHY CAN'T OUR GD O COORDINATOR GET THAT??? HEY MORON. WE SIGNED JFG FOR THAT PLAY WHERE YOU PUT JERMAINE KEARSE AS THE PRIMARY READ!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":361djdi4 said:
Laloosh":361djdi4 said:
StoneCold":361djdi4 said:

He was impeded, but it looks like he was heading to the corner and the ball was thrown behind him.

I remember watching this play and thinking, "Who was that supposed to go to?" It hits the ground between the two receivers.

If that ball was supposed to be thrown to the corner, it was one of the worst I've seen. I'm not saying you're wrong though.

StoneCold

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1w1wun2u said:
StoneCold":1w1wun2u said:
Laloosh":1w1wun2u said:
StoneCold":1w1wun2u said:

If that ball was supposed to be thrown to the corner, it was one of the worst I've seen. I'm not saying you're wrong though.

Oh I'm not saying that Russell tried to throw it to the corner. Honestly I don't know what Russ saw and was trying to do. I think he should have tried going corner, instead he throws to no one in particular. Maybe a receiver was supposed to do something different and that's why it looks that way. The more I watch football and try to dissect plays the more I realize with so many moving parts it's near impossible to properly assign responsibility without knowing what each player was assigned to do and how that assignment is affected by what the defense is doing and how each one interprets what they see and tries to make the right play.

Tical21

Reaction score
Nothing from nothing, but that is a horrendous pass. He's got 10 yards to work with there. Lay it up and outside, give him time to adjust and run underneath it and it is a really easy score.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Tical21":3kbxvuci said:
Nothing from nothing, but that is a horrendous pass. He's got 10 yards to work with there. Lay it up and outside, give him time to adjust and run underneath it and it is a really easy score.

Wonder if it was actually meant for Doug.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I think the pass was meant for Baldwin. Kearse is breaking towards the corner it seems. He was clearly held too, but even if he wasn't, I can't see how that pass ever gets completed based upon where it ended up. The throw was horrendous, but how you essentially take Lynch, Graham and Wilson (by making him throw a fade from the pocket) out of the play is mind-boggling.

Basis4day

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3e003a9k said:
From his presser today.

I seem to remember Wilson heaving a jump ball to a thoroughl blanketed Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse. Don't see how that's an ideal look, especially against ARI's corners.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but when a player or coach refers to a "look" isn't that referring to the matchups immediately before the snap? I don't see how the execution of a play (a jump ball) changes whether they had the right look or not.