Bevell Haters Unite!

pehawk

Reaction score
Tical and Hawk45...thank you. Good stuff.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawk45":beft0bz4 said:
- last year during the MASH era of the OL felt like it took Bevell 10 games to call a slant. Heard the argument that RW wasn't good at them, and maybe not, but lo and behold this year he's throwing more and getting better at them. So WTF.
- Some too-cute-by-half playcalling in the red zone
- Too much empty set in downs and distances where the threat of Lynch actually might make PA work, seemingly triggering auto-blitzes (Mojo's term) that kill us
- PA in downs and distances that don't figure, causing more auto-blitzes that kill us
- Under-utilizing Marshawn at times although that has gone away.

Those are my main gripes. And there have been games where the OL has struggled with penalties (and pass pro) in situations and I've said okay Bevell you had zero chance there.

Our ineffectiveness with blitzes...other than the above-mentioned situations where a WTF empty set or PA triggers insta-blitz, I don't know enough to pin it all on Bevell. A pass to the vacated area is the most deadly weapon, but that requires both QB and WR recognizing. And in some cases it's a false positive and the LB will back right into the hot area, so it's sort of a throw of the dice. As long as Bevell keeps an outlet RB or sends a TE up the seam against a blitzing team, I'm happy.

I don't hate empty sets all the time, as Dib so ably points out, they have a time and a place.

My overall feeling is that Lynch and scramble-magician Wilson would exist as weapons for any coordinator, and that we'd be just fine with a different OC. I agree you don't just replace a guy without having something just as good on tap, so perhaps Bevell is here to stay, but I wouldn't douse myself with lighter fluid if Bevell were hired away.
You've summed my feelings on the job he does and my frustrations with him (at times) in your post. And I'll also add that I think he's slow to adjust at times too (Rams game in St. L last year for example). Thanks for this.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tical21":3lmjdnfl said:
What are the chances we can land somebody better? That is the scary part to me. We seem to be in between eras. The brightest coordinators seem to be running the spread now. How many great coordinators are there really? The west coast offense is dead. Things could be a lot worse.
I think a far more appropriate question is when's the last time Pete Carroll replaced a Seahawks coach with someone worse/inferior?

I trust in Pete to improve our offensive coordinator position if Bevell leaves; that's all I'll say about it.

Tical21

Reaction score
I got to thinking, which for me can be scary. If all of the retread listed previously are the cream, I'll stick with where I am. Say you are starting a franchise and can choose any coordinator you want. I don't want a Linehan or Shanahan or Todd Haley. It all just screams mediocre. Wouldn't you take more of an up-and-comer? Is there such a guy with better results than Bevell? Look at the top offenses. All head coach influenced offenses and guys with mixed track records, or HOF QB's. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but do we already have the best young coordinator in the game?