Bevell is reading this forum!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawk45":uqy13vh6 said:
DavidSeven":uqy13vh6 said:
Sgt. Largent":uqy13vh6 said:
btw, to people who think we aren't running it as much on 1st down as we used to, check this out.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/ru ... t-down-pct

We're actually running it more on 1st down this year than anytime during the past three years...........just not having as much success due to O-line issues and dumb penalties.

Let's not let pesky facts get in the way of this witch hunt.

Here I thought the criticism concerned the number of times Lynch was used in the game on Sunday, not the number of times he has carried on first down on average this year.

Let's not let pesky facts get in the way of dismissing the opposing viewpoint as a witch hunt.

I never look at total carries in a vacuum. That completely ignores (A) game situations; (B) the fact that we barely had any plays to begin with because the passing game couldn't covert on 3rd and the defense couldn't get Romo off the field.

But yeah, let's boil this extremely complex game down to talking-point stats without any context.

We could've gotten in better 3rd down situations, yes -- play-calling might've helped some there. That would've made life easier for Russell. That being said, basically being 0% on 3rd down through 3 quarters is unacceptable regardless of what's happening on 1st and 2nd. That is on execution, not run vs pass calls.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ew7thcw said:
Sgt. Largent":3ew7thcw said:
btw, to people who think we aren't running it as much on 1st down as we used to, check this out.

We're actually running it more on 1st down this year than anytime during the past three years...........just not having as much success due to O-line issues and dumb penalties.

Let's not let pesky facts get in the way of this witch hunt.
Only one person brought up first down running stuff, and that's Nsport. He also said he thought that our good 3rd down conversion percentage last year was due to running on first AND second downs a lot, making third downs more manageable...Which I disagree with quite a bit, because I recall plenty of times where we'd wind up with a 3rd & long after running twice, and is one of the reasons I dislike "run-run-pass" in general...Or at least, how we tend to do it. If we're going to run-run-pass, let's not run up the gut both times, at least. That only works if you're consistently opening big holes in run blocking, which sometimes we are, but still.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RunTheBall":2kk79vbd said:
Sgt. Largent":2kk79vbd said:

Not having as much success? We are 1st in the NFL averaging 5.3 YPC. We abandon the run for no reason at all at times so far this season.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... ushAttempt

That's total downs, first down rushing yards we're 22nd in the league.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vtjwpjm said:
RunTheBall":3vtjwpjm said:
Sgt. Largent":3vtjwpjm said:

Not having as much success? We are 1st in the NFL averaging 5.3 YPC. We abandon the run for no reason at all at times so far this season.

Not seeing anywhere there where it shows "1st down rushing yards" but regardless we are averaging 5.3 YPC, our run blocking and rushing in general has been fine. We just haven't given Lynch enough carries in either loss and thus we get dominated in time of possession.

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2z9o5pp6 said:
I never look at total carries in a vacuum. That completely ignores (A) game situations; (B) the fact that we barely had any plays to begin with because the passing game couldn't covert on 3rd and the defense couldn't get Romo off the field.
But yeah, let's boil this extremely complex game down to talking-point stats without any context.

We could've gotten in better 3rd down situations, yes -- play-calling might've helped some there. That would've made life easier for Russell. That being said, basically being 0% on 3rd down through 3 quarters is unacceptable regardless of what's happening on 1st and 2nd. That is on execution, not run vs pass calls.

See Scotte's post in the Random Thoughts thread.

One of my gripes with Bevell is his lack of in-game situational awareness. Hawks defense gets beat down on a 10+ play drive...you'd think the OC would take note and go in with the mindset to offer a breather, at minimum. Not the Seahawks.

This team is built to go three and out on run-run-pass, period. But, at the very least can Bevell take note of what the defense just endured and help them out a bit? It's a pretty glaring flaw, IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RunTheBall":22krdfgq said:
Sgt. Largent":22krdfgq said:
RunTheBall":22krdfgq said:
Sgt. Largent":22krdfgq said:

Not seeing anywhere there where it shows "1st down rushing yards" but regardless we are averaging 5.3 YPC, our run blocking and rushing in general has been fine. We just haven't given Lynch enough carries in either loss and thus we get dominated in time of possession.

Sorry, linked the wrong thing

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmle ... g&rank=015

Largent80

Reaction score
Regardless of Lynch running and how many times he gets the ball if RW puts passes onto the hands of "pass catchers" they need to get them. More than likely, any one of those drops in that game changes the outcome.

The defense is getting worn out by offensive ineptitude in our losses. Part execution and part play calling.

Fantasy football?...I have never even inquired about it so he can shove that crap right up main street. I have played football in jr. and high school and watched it since the 50's. I'm not some x's and o's guru but I have seen enough to know that was a crap set of plays and I feel it cost us the game. Done with last week, time to move on.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":w1wohauu said:
One of my gripes with Bevell is his lack of in-game situational awareness. Hawks defense gets beat down on a 10+ play drive...you'd think the OC would take note and go in with the mindset to offer a breather, at minimum. Not the Seahawks.

This team is built to go three and out on run-run-pass, period. But, at the very least can Bevell take note of what the defense just endured and help them out a bit? It's a pretty glaring flaw, IMO.

Sure, I'm not saying Bevell called a perfect game or that he couldn't have found a few more carries for Lynch. However, I am trying to highlight the point that this offense cannot thrive on a run-run-pass model (for others, not yourself). In order to stay on the field, they need to execute on 3rd down and on must-pass situations. IMO, a lot of that is on the players.

Russell is at his best off play-action and read option. That means relegating him to 3rd down takes away the most explosive aspect of your offense. He struggles when teams know we have to pass. We got to get him plays on 1st and 2nd down in order to get full value from what he can do off the run. Obviously, we also have to commit to the run in order for it to work. The mix needs to be fluid, not completely one way or the other. Running Lynch on every early down just to rack up his carries isn't going to win us games. Russell converting on his explosive opportunities and being at least average on 3rd down will win us games; the run game obviously sets a lot of that up, but we still have to convert.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RunTheBall":3hdr1gjx said:
Sgt. Largent":3hdr1gjx said:
RunTheBall":3hdr1gjx said:
Sgt. Largent":3hdr1gjx said:
Faulty stat considering the majority of the teams just above us have played more games than us, also doesn't list the amount of attempts or YPC.

Even one more game with 50 yards of first down runs isn't going to catapult us into the top 5.

Bottom line is the combo of;

Playing good teams scheming to stop Marshawn and Harvin running
Poor 3rd down conversion
Poor TOP
Poor defensive 3rd down performance
Trying to integrate Percy into the offense
Offensive line issues with health and penalties

All this has contributed to the run game not being what it was last year. The good news is that I think the run game finally has Pete's undivided attention after last week.

hawk45

Reaction score
pehawk":2i8kp5qo said:
DavidSeven":2i8kp5qo said:

Specifically, it is pointed out that we call 3 empty sets immediately after our defense is mauled by a sustained drive. I'm looking forward to hear the nuanced argument that points out how empty sets make any sense at all when the idea is to take advantage of a numbers situation created by Dallas fearing the run.

Adding that bit of context drives home even further how bizarre some of the playcalling was. It also makes no sense if we're to believe that Bevell is somehow limited by Russell's abilities. 3 straight empty sets is what you employ when Peyton Manning is your QB, not when it's someone who needs assistance operating from the pocket.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawk45":3humlos1 said:
pehawk":3humlos1 said:
DavidSeven":3humlos1 said:

Specifically, it is pointed out that we call 3 empty sets immediately after our defense is mauled by a sustained drive. I'm looking forward to hear the nuanced argument that points out how empty sets make any sense at all when the idea is to take advantage of a numbers situation created by Dallas fearing the run.

Adding that bit of context drives home even further how bizarre some of the playcalling was. It also makes no sense if we're to believe that Bevell is somehow limited by Russell's abilities. 3 straight empty sets is what you employ when Peyton Manning is your QB, not when it's someone who needs assistance operating from the pocket.

It's actually easier to defend coaches and play off any criticism as "silly, uninformed and ignorant" because you can always fall back on whom you support is in the NFL and we're all a bunch of nerds on a message board. Automatically aligning with coaches in an authoritative tone is a hack and easy route.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39eim952 said:
Even one more game with 50 yards of first down runs isn't going to catapult us into the top 5.

Bottom line is the combo of;

Playing good teams scheming to stop Marshawn and Harvin running
Poor 3rd down conversion
Poor TOP
Poor defensive 3rd down performance
Trying to integrate Percy into the offense
Offensive line issues with health and penalties

All this has contributed to the run game not being what it was last year. The good news is that I think the run game finally has Pete's undivided attention after last week.
You are still making a point based on nothing, your link doesn't give attempts for context, YPC is far more important than yards in general. Our run game is actually better this year by a full yard (5.3 YPC to 4.3 last year). Lynch is averaging 4.6 YPC to 4.2 YPC last year. The biggest problem is passing the ball more for no apparent reason.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I despise ranking or rating anything based on total yardage. Very poor way to rank literally anything in football.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sounds like coach-speak to me. Sure, he may try to get Lynch more carries and he may change up for a couple of games but Bevell is still going to do his thing in the long run. Plus, I can only imagine if he went pound-mode and the team still loses. There will be calls for his head because of a pedestrian offense.

Color me skeptical. Just win and cut down on the gadget plays. Then of course, I probably will be griping about a vanilla offense that scares no one.

Sucks to be you Bevell. That's why you get the big bucks.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
2013 Seahawks: 2nd in rushing attempts/game, 4th in rushing yards/game, 12th in YPC
2014 Seahawks: 11th in rushing attempts/game, 2nd in rushing yards/game, 1st in YPC

Yeah our running game is definitely worse than last year....

Scottemojo

Reaction score
For me, Pete has a juxtaposition. He authors a defense that tries it's damndest to make a team one dimensional. It doesn't matter if it's Peyton G'dam Manning, we want him to give up on the run and pass all the time.

Then we turn around and go empty sets. Technically, Wilson is always a running back of sorts, so none of our sets are truly empty, but Dallas always had a fast guy assigned to spy Russell in empty sets.

We try to make other teams one dimensional with their passing game, no matter how good the QB is, then at a critical moment in the game, when the clock has begun to wear the defense, we voluntarily go one dimensional ourselves?

My personal opinion, worth precisely squat, is that Bevell has gotten passed over for a HC job two years in a row now. Understandably, he has established that he has the chops of a Gary Kubiak. He is fully qualified to call a play action offense. Hooray says no billionaire owner who needs a HC. But if he can keep turning Wilson into a star while being innovative in using aspects of the college game, he will garner more attention from those that care about filled seats.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1hulmays said:
But if he can keep turning Wilson into a star while being innovative in using aspects of the college game, he will garner more attention from those that care about filled seats.

The Latin term for that is; Robius Chudzinskius