Bevell is reading this forum!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
RunTheBall":3cbbg4ti said:
2013 Seahawks: 2nd in rushing attempts/game, 4th in rushing yards/game, 12th in YPC
2014 Seahawks: 11th in rushing attempts/game, 2nd in rushing yards/game, 1st in YPC

Yeah our running game is definitely worse than last year....

You understand that those numbers are currently being skewed heavily by Russell Wilson and Percy Harvin's YPC averages, right? They will even out over time, but a few big plays by Russell and Percy are boosting our average right now.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3jtmbdn9 said:
RunTheBall":3jtmbdn9 said:
2013 Seahawks: 2nd in rushing attempts/game, 4th in rushing yards/game, 12th in YPC
2014 Seahawks: 11th in rushing attempts/game, 2nd in rushing yards/game, 1st in YPC

You understand that those numbers are currently being skewed heavily by Russell Wilson and Percy Harvin's YPC averages, right? They will even out over time, but a few big plays by Russell and Percy are boosting our average right now.
2013 Lynch/Turbin: 378 Attempts, 1,521 Yards, 4.02 YPC
2014 Lynch/Turbin: 96 Attempts, 431 Yards, 4.49 YPC

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1mdn860t said:
exactly who I was thinking of.

Lucky guess, I really don't know the game. I'm just here to crack wise and make inappropriate jokes.

And yup, I agree with Bevell's diagnosis. Kind of puts Pete's pointed "random substitution" comment in a different light, IMO.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2y3h7c7x said:
RunTheBall":2y3h7c7x said:

Which is why we can make an effort to look at the right stats.

Marshawn Lynch stats:

2013 YPC: 4.2
2014 YPC: 4.6

2013 missed tackles forced per game: 5.10
2014 missed tackles forced per game: 4.40 (This is also skewed unfavorably against Lynch to an extent because RBs tend to force more missed tackles later in games, and of our five games, two have seen him being given little action.)

2013 yards after contact per attempt: 2.6
2014 yards after contact per attempt: 2.6

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RunTheBall":21xase33 said:
DavidSeven":21xase33 said:
RunTheBall":21xase33 said:

2013 Lynch/Turbin: 378 Attempts, 1,521 Yards, 4.02 YPC
2014 Lynch/Turbin: 96 Attempts, 431 Yards, 4.49 YPC

So if my math's right, this is roughly 4 less attempts per game.

2013: 378 divided by 16 = 23.6
2014: 96 divided by 5 = 19.2

Add in our TOP has been awful so far, more carries for Percy and the Washington game where Russell ran it a bunch and it's not really the run game sky is falling that you guys are claiming 2014 to be.

SeaChase

Reaction score
If we could just get Wilson to read this, then he might get the ball out a little quicker...

AgentDib

Reaction score
pehawk":9a05b8ej said:
Automatically aligning with coaches in an authoritative tone is a hack and easy route.
I would argue that when we criticize outcomes without having all the information, as we all like to do, more often than not it is easiest to blame the play caller. Sometimes it is obvious when a player fails to execute but most of the time it gets missed live while the fans are busy watching the football. And then what we are going to do, give credit to the opposing team or something?

When did you see Kevin Williams get pancaked on that Dallas rushing TD? Live I thought it looked like we didn't respect the run enough there until I saw Williams get flattened on a NFL network replay. Take that terrible looking triple option Walters screen pass. From the stands I thought it was one of the worst things I had seen from Bevell ever, and didn't find out that it was a Wilson improvisation based on Lynch forgetting his assignment until the following day.

I am probably biased in favor of defending coordinators but all I hear is how terrible everybody's coordinator is, sort of like how some here will point out that 25 fan bases in the NFL think they have the #32 OL.

Case in point, Saints fans who want to take playcalling away from Payton.
NsUlEyf

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The "it's so easy to blame coordinators" crowd should take a look at what happened when we "lost" Bradley and gained Quinn.

That being said, I have an issue with the lack of bump & run we've done this year thus far, haha. (This was probably done because of the rules change, though.)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1fofcz18 said:
The "it's so easy to blame coordinators" crowd should take a look at what happened when we "lost" Bradley and gained Quinn.

That being said, I have an issue with the lack of bump & run we've done this year thus far, haha. (This was probably done because of the rules change, though.)

So, who do we hire? Who out there is better than Bevell?

And how likely is it the candidate would actually be worse? Because the underlying assumption is everyone is better, but we know that isn't true - yet people are willing to act as if it is.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2kchsnpu said:
RolandDeschain":2kchsnpu said:

So, who do we hire? Who out there is better than Bevell?

And how likely is it the candidate would actually be worse? Because the underlying assumption is everyone is better, but we know that isn't true - yet people are willing to act as if it is.
I'm not saying to fire Bevell, it's way too early for that. We are 3-2 and the season is still young. But Bevell should be giving it to Lynch about 4 or 5 times more a game than he is right now. Lynch should be getting around 20 carries a game, not 10 carries for 61 yards.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":cbsacga6 said:

We went from #1 defense to... #1 defense? Now, to be fair, our defense did get better from 2012 to 2013. But that is also a function of signing Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, and Tony McDaniel along with the natural progression of Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor.

Now that the talent has evened itself out a bit, I would say Dan Quinn's 2014 defense is playing worse than Gus Bradley's 2012 defense thus far.

But eh, I'm sort of one of those guys who thinks this is Pete Carroll's defense no matter what. He's made every d-coordinator under him look like a star to some degree.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3k4v1ykk said:
I hope not. That would be like a physicist taking advice from a guy who read a book on quantum mechanics once.

Beautiful.

It should be compulsory that every time Bevell's name is mentioned in a negative way, Pete's name should be auto-tied to that disparaging remark. I can't believe the amount of "we (heart) Pete" while Bevell is simultaneously seen as some sort of pariah.

Bevell, to my knowledge, answers to Pete. Cable, to my knowledge, answers to Pete. So who is really responsible here? Both those dudes were hired by Pete (and JS) and they continue to coach this team. If they suck, and I'm not saying they don't, what does that say about Pete and JS?

When one of my employees make a mistake, I answer for it and I am responsible because I hired that employee. If that employee continues to make mistakes, but I let them maintain employment, I am clearly not doing my job. Why would Pete's situation be any different? It's not.

Bevell is doing as instructed by Pete...or he wouldn't be coaching this offense.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I just don't understand why Bevell doesn't just call the plays that work and scrap all the ones that don't.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I was more referring to not switching to soft zone late in games and blowing a lead, David. :)

@Sarlacc: I do not think, nor have I said, everyone else is better. I'd take most of the current offensive coordinators that have good experience running an Erhardt-Perkins system, though.

Zebulon Dak":1iml52n4 said:
I just don't understand why Bevell doesn't just call the plays that work and scrap all the ones that don't.
Dude, come on. Ease up on the trolling, lol.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1bd7pm0m said:
Zebulon Dak":1bd7pm0m said:
Dude, come on. Ease up on the trolling, lol.

I'm just saying, my brother tells me that he can call a better game than Bevell from his couch. So Bevell must be really terrible because my brother knows less about football than I do. And I don't really know jack squat.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2t3nn44k said:
Apparently, neither does Bevell.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Scottemojo":2k1xvqan said:
Zebulon Dak":2k1xvqan said:
Apparently, neither does Bevell.

Well then maybe he should be reading this forum!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
drdiags":8ot82tos said:
Sucks to be you Bevell. That's why you get the big bucks.

Sounds like a sig to me.... :twisted:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":odrymcm4 said:
Still very dismissive of a complaint he would then agree with. It's just noise. But the noise is correct.

A simple we do need to get Marshawn more carries would suffice. Don't even acknowledge the noise. Or the cries.

Didn't read dismissive to me. Just two matter of fact statements (which I agree with).

I think Bevell deserves criticism this week. But I don't think he was being snippy here. I think the FF comment was the kind of stock answer joke coaches always say in this situation.

And even if he was being snarky, I wouldn't blame him. I'm sure there are 32 coaching staffs who get annoyed by hearing people with 5% of their football knowledge telling them how to use their players. That's why it's so commonly used.

Dr. Diags had a post above that pretty much nails it.

hawk45

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2xrmoy86 said:
pehawk":2xrmoy86 said:
One of my gripes with Bevell is his lack of in-game situational awareness. Hawks defense gets beat down on a 10+ play drive...you'd think the OC would take note and go in with the mindset to offer a breather, at minimum. Not the Seahawks.

This team is built to go three and out on run-run-pass, period. But, at the very least can Bevell take note of what the defense just endured and help them out a bit? It's a pretty glaring flaw, IMO.

Sure, I'm not saying Bevell called a perfect game or that he couldn't have found a few more carries for Lynch. However, I am trying to highlight the point that this offense cannot thrive on a run-run-pass model (for others, not yourself). In order to stay on the field, they need to execute on 3rd down and on must-pass situations. IMO, a lot of that is on the players.

Russell is at his best off play-action and read option. That means relegating him to 3rd down takes away the most explosive aspect of your offense. He struggles when teams know we have to pass. We got to get him plays on 1st and 2nd down in order to get full value from what he can do off the run. Obviously, we also have to commit to the run in order for it to work. The mix needs to be fluid, not completely one way or the other. Running Lynch on every early down just to rack up his carries isn't going to win us games. Russell converting on his explosive opportunities and being at least average on 3rd down will win us games; the run game obviously sets a lot of that up, but we still have to convert.

Bolded part above is a good reason to not always run Lynch on first and second. I agree with that. But it is also a really excellent reason not to feature empty set passing formations on 3 straight downs, is it not? Your point about play action passing further underscores the WTF aspect of that formation let alone using it 3 straight downs. I mean taking your points into consideration, why would we ever do that and expect it to work?

Hey Russ didn't convert opportunities that were there on Sunday, most glaringly in the last 2 drives, but throughout the game. Under those circumstances, nothing OC can do. But you seemed to pick up that Russ was struggling, I just wish Bevell had picked that up and helped him out a little instead of just constantly passing without an established run threat, thereby adding to the difficulties.