Bevell just fired a shot across my bow!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":34yu63fx said:
chris98251":34yu63fx said:
Something changed, either Pete let him call the plays he wanted, Russell has more input in the game plan, they are using the whole playbook and not just the safe plays, or Pete told him to start protecting Wilson.

Wilson has been asking for a faster pace for two years, he is now getting that, he is also audibleing more and we are now using hot routes and the middle of the field and spreading the offense out, were even using shifts and some motion. Things that were not being done before.

I find it hard to believe all this was done in one week, they must have been practicing this stuff well before hand but not using it.

Exactly! He never gave up any intel regarding coaches or players, when pressed for info regarding needed improvements; HOWEVER, he mentioned the need for quick tempo and 'staying on schedule' way more than once. Dude is a very fast learner, who can process this easily. Long overdue, IMO. That said, I'm sure the coaching staff paid close attention to league history of QB's who were destroyed from dumping too much into their lap too soon.

I'm also suspicious that Bevell -he who voiced his displeasure when he felt Favre was freelancing too much in Minn- might still be feeling the sting of not having adequate control over a QB, which would naturally make him hesitant to give up more to Russell. I'm sure many of you have listened to sound bites of Russ almost begging Bevell to 'trust' him in the NFCC game.

Add Pete's strong tendency to favor play action over a short-passing game and we have a perfect storm creating an impediment to change in that regard.
Please add a link where Bev was displeased with Favre in Minny. I think that was more Childress.

253hawk

Reaction score
All I know is that we've only ever scored 30+ in consecutive games twice...that ridiculous 58/50/42 stretch in 2012 and against the Giants and Raiders last year. Hitting 30+ at all seems pretty rare for a team built around a running game and a strong defense.

This year, we've hit 30+ in five of the last six games. All six if you don't count Hauschka's blocked XP against SC.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
I appreciated his trolling, that's all I was pointing out. It's xmas ppl, have a little fun.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
justafan":9sm2ihfs said:
I think its funny.Its always been and always will be about execution.

If he is arrogant thats exactly how i want the coaching staff to be.I want an unwavering confidence in what they are trying to teach the players.I certainly dont want them searching message boards for ideas.

Of course it's always about execution.

People here were screaming about his route trees, his basic play design, his predictability, etc. Funny how that all changes when RW finally decides to make decisions quicker and our O line improves. :les:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Laloosh":1hb13brc said:
I appreciated his trolling, that's all I was pointing out. It's xmas ppl, have a little fun.

Ahhh....

" Tis the season to be jolly...troll troll troll a lol lol lol lol

rideaducati

Reaction score
EVERY criticism was deserved. If it took him reading all the "Fire Bevell" threads to get him to change, then I'm glad to have been around criticizing him.

stizz19

Reaction score
chris98251":3dbznxxb said:
Something changed, either Pete let him call the plays he wanted, Russell has more input in the game plan, they are using the whole playbook and not just the safe plays, or Pete told him to start protecting Wilson.

Wilson has been asking for a faster pace for two years, he is now getting that, he is also audibleing more and we are now using hot routes and the middle of the field and spreading the offense out, were even using shifts and some motion. Things that were not being done before.

I find it hard to believe all this was done in one week, they must have been practicing this stuff well before hand but not using it.

I think this sums the Seahawks play every year perfectly. They always start out like crap and over night it seems to change. It sounds stupid but I think they do this on purpose so teams can't plan for it and when it comes playoff time they are playing at their best, hence the back to back superb owls.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1l8igviz said:
Laloosh":1l8igviz said:

Ahhh....

" Tis the season to be jolly...troll troll troll a lol lol lol lol

:thirishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":25jy5dlq said:
chris98251":25jy5dlq said:

Pass protection.

Isn't it obvious? The offensive explosion is perfectly aligned with the O-line figuring it out.

hawknation2015":25jy5dlq said:
Bevell reminds me A LOT of a previous Carroll play caller: Lane Kiffin. He has always been an arrogant SOB, even when things were not going his way. It's that lack of humility that bothers me more than anything else.

Further evidence that people have somehow allowed themselves to make this personal. As if Darrell Bevell is "arrogant". What total rubbish.

Again I don't believe that playing for what 8 weeks plus pre season and camp the offensive line was having problems, then in one week they all figure it out at the same time and sync up with no other changes other then Lewis at Center.

I'm calling Rubbish on that, they changed things that helped the line, faster plays with routes and releases, spread guys out so that the defense can't simply crash our line, give Wilson options to audible and have hot reads to call. The combination made it much easier for Wilson to make his calls, Lewis making line calls, and freedom to change things, using the middle of the field as well, adding shifts and motion. That's not just the O Line "GETTING IT"

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1l0a04it said:
Again I don't believe that playing for what 8 weeks plus pre season and camp the offensive line was having problems, then in one week they all figure it out at the same time and sync up with no other changes other then Lewis at Center.

I'm calling Rubbish on that, they changed things that helped the line, faster plays with routes and releases, spread guys out so that the defense can't simply crash our line, give Wilson options to audible and have hot reads to call. The combination made it much easier for Wilson to make his calls, Lewis making line calls, and freedom to change things, using the middle of the field as well, adding shifts and motion. That's not just the O Line "GETTING IT"

Who says it was a case of one week the O-line just 'got it'?

For me it was a gradual improvement leading to a situation where the line became generally competent. Justin Britt had to learn the left guard position. Drew Nowak was starting for the first time having converted from defense. Garry Gilliam was starting for the first time. Growing pains and gradual progress is very realistic. That improvement, plus the benching of Nowak for Patrick Lewis, for me is the clear reason why the offense began to click.

All signs point to that too. For weeks we could all see how horrendous that pass pro was. It's like watching a completely different line these days -- and it coincides perfectly with the improved passing game. That, coupled with Wilson starting to trust the protection as it improved, is the key to the overall improvement.

Optimus25

Reaction score
For one thing we're doing something now we weren't doing at all early in the year, and EVERY bevell critic here was screaming for:

quick throws. nothing to it. run five or eight yards, turn around. kearse is making it look easy lately. gets the offense going momentum wise, takes pressure off the O line, and lets Russ get some 'warm up' pitch and catch in game speed before big strikes.

our first drive of the year at st louis we motioned jimmy across the formation and threw a simple out to him for 8 yards. Never, i repeat never, saw it again. Even though this concept is so easy to draw isolation for the NFL's greatest athlete.

then 5 or 6 weeks of long developing plays and low percentage playcalls in critical third downs before we started getting hot.

I'm on the Bevell train baby!

but don't ask me who i think is responsible for a super bowl and about 3 losses this year otherwise.

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3ompk14m said:
chris98251":3ompk14m said:

For me it was a gradual improvement leading to a situation where the line became generally competent. Justin Britt had to learn the left guard position. Drew Nowak was starting for the first time having converted from defense. Garry Gilliam was starting for the first time. Growing pains and gradual progress is very realistic. That improvement, plus the benching of Nowak for Patrick Lewis, for me is the clear reason why the offense began to click.

All signs point to that too. For weeks we could all see how horrendous that pass pro was. It's like watching a completely different line these days -- and it coincides perfectly with the improved passing game. That, coupled with Wilson starting to trust the protection as it improved, is the key to the overall improvement.

You did

Pass protection.

Isn't it obvious? The offensive explosion is perfectly aligned with the O-line figuring it out.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3dcpb5i3 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3dcpb5i3 said:
chris98251":3dcpb5i3 said:

You did

Pass protection.

Yes. Figuring it out over several weeks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jake206":3oa2otkm said:
For all we know, he could be visiting this site every week. Hanging on our every word. :sarcasm_off:
Naahh, he hangs only on my words, everything else is jibberish. :lol:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":rwbsfp6m said:
The work of Bev has been above par all year long. The offense was in transition and the line needed time to grow together. Yet in all but one game, we were in position to win in the fourth quarter. And can we get off this ridiculous "predictability" nonsense. If the defense knows what's coming, we aren't scoring 4-5 touchdowns a game. Bevell has proven his importance to the offense and Russell's growth before ... some of us were paying attention and had the utmost faith that he was the right fit to get it done again.
Some around here were dead set on blaming either Russell Wilson for his inability to shoulder the team and carry them to victories earlier this Season, and weren't hearing any excuses like, O-Line misfires, because the greenhorns couldn't shut down the Aaron Donalds and the like, or they were laying the blame on Darrell Bevell (but not on Tom Cable) for not calling complex plays that had almost no chance of being implemented.
THEY had to play the hands that THEY were dealt.
Fast forward a couple months, when the O-Line had gotten some cohesion, Russell Wilson loses two of his KEY players to injuries, and yet the Seahawks Offense goes on a tear?
The O-Line finds some decent footing, and the Coaching is able to throw in some play calls that can NOW be implemented.
Why is it so hard to understand that it sometimes takes awhile for players & plays to meld?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":18zb30uh said:
I'm thinking that he was throwing digs at the media for questioning his play call, and not giving Marshawn Lynch the ball to score the WIN in SB 49.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1y0z045r said:
justafan":1y0z045r said:
I think its funny.Its always been and always will be about execution.

If he is arrogant thats exactly how i want the coaching staff to be.I want an unwavering confidence in what they are trying to teach the players.I certainly dont want them searching message boards for ideas.

Of course it's always about execution.

People here were screaming about his route trees, his basic play design, his predictability, etc. Funny how that all changes when RW was finally allowed to make decisions quicker, he's given quick pass options and our O line improves . :les:
FIFY